Customer Discussions > Health forum

Polygamy Should be Legal

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 324 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2011 11:41:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2011 2:14:37 AM PDT
B. Williams says:
With only two rules. To wit: That all parties have attained the age of consent and that all parties consent to the polygamous relationship. Make your argument pro and/or con.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 8:05:56 AM PDT
Craig says:
Can you imagine? A whole new set of divorce laws and property settlement cases.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 10:07:32 AM PDT
DEVOUREADT says:
Dr. Phil recently interviewed a family that have made it work....3 wives ...one man.

This subject always reminds me of that old western movie with Clint Eastwood ..."HOW THE WEST WAS WON". (LOL) The story is about a mining town with few women that weren't whores and a Mormon man who had two wives...he was offered money for one wife so she was put up for auction.....when 2 miners/partners fell in love with her...she makes the statement...if a man can have 2 wives, then why not one woman have 2 husbands? (good question?)
In every case...if one person has more of something than another, the one without is making concessions...giving more than receiving...and if a person wants to call that a 'marriage' ...OK. It works for some people.
But, for those of us who feel strongly about equal rights and loyalty in an arrangement based on emotional ties...it lacks something....and almost always causes wounds.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 11:22:28 AM PDT
Lynn K. says:
wasn't that movie called "Paint Your Wagon?"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 11:41:28 AM PDT
Craig says:
That was "Paint your Wagon" by the way.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 1:17:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 1:17:42 PM PDT
getalife says:
you mean its not legal? uh-oh! don't let julie or cindy or karen or susan or betty or judy or tammy or louise or barbara or angelina or cameron or demi or j-lo or beyonce or sarah or kate and the ones i cant remember know that!

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 4:27:39 PM PDT
Jean says:
And what happens if the husband can 't support these wives?
Oh this "family" gets to bleed the government welfare system. Sounds like something from those freaks who let Jessup lead them and now he is in prison for raping 12 year old girls.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 6:44:19 PM PDT
The freak in jail needs to be castrated and made to wear a dress and have long hair and mulitude of 'husbands' so he can see what it's like for those women. If it is consentual, there's nothing that the government should say or do about it as long as all the participats are of age and have been introduced to the world outside of their fundamentalist (mental being the key word there) beliefs so they are led to believe this is the only way. I, as a single woman, am not so desperate for a husband that I am willing to share a husband....I don't play well with others. To sum up, yes it should be lega, no it should not be supported financially by the government lie with the Green family and yes, their keids should be mainstreamed into school so they aren't isolated and are given choices.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 12:53:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011 1:26:31 AM PDT
B. Williams says:
Jean.

Like I said, age of majority and all agree to the deal. What is the difference with 1 man and 1 woman married (or not) and he and she agree to any number of other women (or men) living in the house without wedlock? Marriage is a social formality that is being less and less respected. Better it be replaced with plain old contracts.

As far as all those wives bleeding the welfare system, there shouldn't be a welfare system.

And, before you get too upset about 12 year old girls being raped, the age of consent in America in some states was 12 until about 20 years ago or so. It was a carryover from a time when the average life expectancy was about 40 and the imperative of survival of human kind (in total) was based upon prolific and early childbirth. Male philandering is also a carryover from ancient biology as well.

All that said, I think it is most appropriate that children are allowed to experience their childhood in innocence of adult matters as technology, good food and advanced medicine have removed the need to answer the biological imperative to continue the race. Now, if we could just get them to understand the advantages of doing so.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 1:25:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011 1:26:52 AM PDT
B. Williams says:
Pamela Gartner.

So you get the point. Consenting adults should be allowed to do what they wish with their bodies and lives. That is the essence of Liberty!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 11:24:02 AM PDT
Joe Anthony says:
B. Williams says:

"Polygamy Should be Legal"

I say:

Polygamy is a terrible form of oppression to women. From what I understand, because of premature ejaculation, erectile disfunction, psychological issues, stress, overweight, laziness, or just plain ignorance of how a woman's body works; most husbands can not even satisfy ONE wife sexually; let alone multiple wives.

The Bible says that King Solomon had over 500 wives and concubines; that's not only wrong, but it's also cruel.

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 12:19:50 PM PDT
Sharon says:
Since I first heard of polygamy as a teenager, I've thought it's a wonderful idea. I was never "boy crazy", didn't get that mating gene I guess, I'm a single great-grandmother by choice, kids & grandkids turned out orthodox monogamists which is nice, but not for me. I love men, but not hanging around my home 24/7. I'm not the least bit monogamous-jealous-possessive, and have no problem sharing. You can love more than one person altho in different ways - like Kody on "Sister Wives" says, "love should be multiplied". Loving one person does & should not mean you can't love someone else too! Plus, with polygamy, ideally you've got help to deal with the housework & child-rearing, and working outside the home is a lot easier. I do NOT agree with those fundamentalist wackos, child brides, etc., but I think polygamy should be legal for consenting adults.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 7:37:27 PM PDT
B. Williams says:
Joe Anthony.

Joe, as I stated, all consenting adults. The combination could include 1 rich (and even beautiful) woman who has collected several studly husbands.

This isn't about sexuality. It is about adults deciding what makes them happy as individuals instead of the society at large deciding what one consenting adult individual does with another consenting adult individual.

I have an inalienable RIGHT to decide what I do with MY life. It is such an important concept that our Founding Fathers put it in the document that is at least the concept of this country's founding. Unfortunately, we have strayed very far from that.

MY LIFE. MY BODY. MY CHOICE.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 9:18:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2011 9:20:17 PM PDT
B. Williams says:
Sharon.

You, my dear, have a wonderful attitude. There is love and there is loving. Love comes from the heart and is an emotional connection to another person. Loving is more a visceral connection to one or any number of people. Embracing who you are leads to greater happiness and you sound pretty happy.

That is why I am no longer a republican . . . but I am certainly not a democrat either. I am a restrained libertarian. An anarchist is a pure libertarian but that isn't me. I want the structure of government but not dominance by government.

Think of where we are today as compared to even a few months ago. "Don't ask don't tell" is a thing of the past. Thrown on the ash heap of failed and stupid social policy born of a large group (politicians doing the bidding of their church) to deprive an entire segment of the population of the right to establish their own relationships that make them happy.

Regardless of the policy, people lived their lives; a policy long ago abandoned by many countries. We lost a bunch of good and dedicated people from the military. I don't think that one's sexual orientation defines one in terms of toughness or willingness to die for a cause. Maybe it makes a person even more determined to prove a point.

So, I say it again:

MY Life. My body. MY CHOICE!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 9:30:37 PM PDT
Well it would be the women's choice as well.

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 11:04:36 PM PDT
B. Williams says:
The Panthor.

Non sequitur. Like I said in the original premise, all consenting adults. No children. No sex slaves (unless they agree then they are only acting).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 12:22:32 AM PDT
Terry C says:
Oh but it is about sexuality. If this became the "norm" the next you would hear is I want to marry my Dog or Horse. Then how do you stop pedophiles.

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 2:14:08 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 20, 2011 12:33:56 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 2:37:10 AM PDT
Kama'aina says:
It was Warren Jeffers. Jessup is a city in Maryland. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 2:42:00 AM PDT
Kama'aina says:
So should polyandry. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 9:57:09 AM PDT
It's not a non sequitur; it's a response to Joe Anthony.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 9:57:44 AM PDT
"Consenting adults" tends to exclude animals and children. By its definition and all.

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 10:10:26 AM PDT
Katie G says:
Yes, it should. Simply for the fact that I need a wife.

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 1:55:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 13, 2011 12:25:30 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 1:59:55 PM PDT
BenJammin says:
Nope, polyandry (Latin for "adultery") has a natural consequence... homicide.

Polygamy (Latin for "normal human mating") has a natural consequence... stable, productive, happy societies.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  91
Total posts:  324
Initial post:  Oct 6, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions