Customer Discussions > Health forum

The Hibernation Diet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 90 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2011 3:40:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2011 3:45:12 PM PST
Hi Guys.

amazon have invited me to open another discussion, seeing as the one about chemo reached its space limits. Congratulation to D.A.Solomon for presenting The Last Post!

That was a lively discussion and brought out both the best and the worst in many of us. Just what the silent majority thought of it, well we will never know as long as they remain silent.

This one can do the same!

The Hibernation Diet is a book about how we can return to a natural weight and health ideal, simply using diet, exercise and good lifestyle management.

The information in this book prompted me and enabled me to reverse my own health trends several years ago, and I am more than delighted to promote it, especially as it recommends the use of my favourite food, NATURAL HONEY.

The battle has raged for years between those who encourage us to manage our lives better (at home, so to speak) using good sense and traditional methods and those who encourage us to seek help from high-tech establishments of all persuasions.

It is natural that we each promote the lifestyle that we are committed to, make our living from or really believe is the best way to go. What is a little bit too natural though is the way the more adventurous amongst us abandon conscience to promote anything at all regardless of the evidence, the morality, the truthfullness or the cultural implications of it.

Yes. we all are like my bees, we are greedy, maybe not for the same things our neighbour is greedy for, but for the things that satisfy our needs, we simply want more and more of them and do not relent until the grim reaper confronts us and makes us change.

Do you think we should rely on our own intuition, our own cultural moors, or seek help from professionals who are heavily slanted towards the consensus, as in licensed by big government and promoted by big business?

What works for you, firstly in the pocketbook, and secondly in your own personal health?

Spammers are not entirely welcome, but will be tolerated a little bit!

Have you read this book already?

Do you aspire to being healthy, slim and trim, energised and clear of mind and body function? Or do you as I did above, put the livelihood above these more mundane issues?

It will be a great 2011, and I intend to be healthier in December than I am now. Care to join me?

Cheers,

JohnS

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 9:36:49 PM PST
Ironically, our two forum police voted this posting down. Why am I suprised? Or was it two passing strangers?

No other reader, if there were any, bothered to either reply or vote. Perhaps there were no other readers, so I will bump it forward again and see if anyone wants the same good results in their life as what I enjoy.

The creation of new threads here at amazon forums is something of a conundrum in itself, as the successful ones tend to be provocative of conversations about diseases and the proprietary medicines and proceedures that address them. Any thread that is not slanted this way either gets ignored or takes a serious bashing from the apparent residents here. Good health is more the result of positive and pro-active conversations and thought patterns, yhan it is the result of good medical services, so I despair of being always focused on diseases and medical jargon.

If such is the wish of the owners and the participants, I guess I will have to accept same and either play the game or stay away. Knowing that it would please the forum police if I stayed away makes me all the more anxious to stay the course, but that will be entirely wasted if the silent membership has no interest in my observations.

Use it or lose it!

Cheers and good health.

JohnS

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011 11:36:32 PM PST
I think you were intentionally hit. How can the initial post in a thread be irrelevant to the topic? see it all the time, haters in every forum. People with nothing better to do than vote "no" because they don't agree. How childish.

I will come back and post on topic when I have checked out the diet.
Thanks.

P.S. i voted yes!

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 12:46:50 AM PST
OldAmazonian says:
What is the Hibernation Diet? Do dieters gorge on everything available 'til they can hold no more, then sleep for months?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2011 10:04:13 AM PST
I'm down for that!

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 10:47:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2011 10:49:36 AM PST
lol@this...are y'all serious?...im upset that i didnt get into the weightloss business...im missing out on the desprate who will invest their already scarce funds for the pipe dream of losing weight with no effort.....obesity is truely a cash cow....

introducing the latest diet that been featured on oprah "breath away the pounds"....3 simple breathing techniques that have been clinically proven to make you shed unwanted pounds wherever you want by concentration and breathing techniques in just 3mins a day!...trial studies have shown that 97% of patients lost 50 lbs in just 6 days!.... visit "www.jump.out.of.a.window.com" .....get your free trial today!!!...at just 4 payments of 39.99...why wait to lose weight and live the life of your dreams...paypal and e-check accepted!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2011 11:07:54 AM PST
c---kuta says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 11:17:10 AM PST
Godforbid we do something irrational like.....eat right or exercise.

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 12:14:23 PM PST
T. Reid says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2011 1:01:47 PM PST
I didn't know; I've been hibernating!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2011 1:44:55 PM PST
T. Reid says:
LOL.....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2011 1:56:30 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 3:39:45 PM PST
That may be the way it works for the bears, OldAmanonian, but with homo-sapiens it is not recommended. It even works poorly for the bear if he hangs around the tourist camp eating their style of foodstuffs.

Ironically, what The Hibernation Diet recommends for us, is that we acknowledge that it is happening with the bears and adapt that understanding to suit our own needs.

Indeed, bears do lose weight while asleep. As simple and preposterous as it might sound to your average gym instructor, it is true. There is a physiology in nature that sustains just such an activity.

It is noted in conjunction with what that gym instructor would now refer to as "Recovery Mode." As the opposite of "fight and flight" mode, when the adrenaline and the cortisols are flowing, Recovery Mode is when our rest and repair functions are initiated by the recovery hormones. Obviously this takes place big time during our sleep.

Fight and Flight burns glucose at a rapid rate, even by scavenging debris and attacking muscle and bone too if necessary. Recovery, on the other hand, is primarily a fat burning process.

It is all too simple when we use the natural order of things (as in the hibernating of the bear) as a model and follow the obvious steps in the process.

It follows that a good supply of fat should promote long and recuperative sleep. However, much of our current obesity is the result of serious conditions brought about by poor lifestyle so not all obese people enjoy sound and restorative sleep. The Hibernation Diet commences with the premise that a good diet and some exercise (Thanks, Dan Webster) is the starting point. There are no miracles offered for those who will not or cannot make some positive changes in their lifestyle.

However, understanding just what all is going on with our metabolism makes it all the easier to know which changes are indicated and necessary. Fact is, weight loss is not the major benefit of the regime; good health is the prime reward. With renewed energy, thanks to good lifestyle and good sleep, it follows that all of our chronic health problems will commence to abate and life will return to fun and frolic!

This general rise in our health from myriad other conditions is not quite arrived at in text of The Hibernation Diet, but in the second book co-authored with Dr. Ron Fessenden entitled, The Honey Revolution, where this simple logic is extended to include most of our ailments.

Thanks to the fact the author singles out honey as a great bedtime adjuvant, many people are want to rush to the conclusion that honey is the topic of the first book. Not so. The thread that runs throughout the book is how our various hormones interact to settle us down after the fight and flight to give us recovery and renewal.

It is nothing new. It is quite in harmony with all the truism encased in every book on health and sensible living ever written, both ancient and current. What is new is the language, which delves into the myriad high-tech thought strings now in vogue. It promotes the simple life in the language of the scientist; it boxes him up with his own string, so to speak. It ties science and folklore together as one might pair up a team or horses.

Far too much of our science is presented to us by those who have found a logic string that uses that science to prove what they want us to believe, especially about their own product. It is easy to see where we have gone wrong following that plan. The Author of The Hibernation Diet, Mike McInnes, presents the science to us in a way that sells us on our own ability to heal ourselves, rectify our lifestyle and enjoy natural health.

There is no room in that scenario for obesity, or chronic disease of any kind. What takes the places previously occupied by those conditions is wealth and romance. What a swap!

Cheers, and thanks guys for responding. It is rare that one cannot get some response, even if only from the hecklers, so that is why I bumped this one back onto the front page.

JohnS

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 4:36:15 PM PST
Bro! Bro! Easy there with the bear talk!

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 5:20:32 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 6:48:10 PM PDT
Guess what, Dan? Mike and his co author, Dr. Fessenden have just published an abridged edition of The Honey Revolution: Restoring the Health of Future Generations

It sells for five dollars. I guess they could have just given it to us, but that would probably not work too well. Anyhow, the full story is now posted at the thread, "The Honey Revolution."

Don't miss it!

Cheers,

JohnS

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 11:08:01 PM PDT
Trent Black says:
Honey is mostly different forms of sugar. What they are doing is trying to keep blood sugar levels level at night. And this is done by a small bit of honey. You could do this with dates, prunes, carobs and even brown sugar, at or below 20 grams, so the pancreas does not need to produce insulin. This is mostly a marketing thing.

I bought some raw honey once, and it made me and my wife sick as dogs for 2 days. I am all for pasteurization now. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2011 7:44:13 AM PDT
ColdShot says:
maybe it was a sign you needed to be cleaned out!

a guy I was in the MOVE program with said the coconut oil didn't agree with him, and later
I read one of the posters say the same thing except, they didn't give up right away, they
decided to oil pull with it for a while then eat it...and so they has success that way.

you may have breezed right past a righteous diagnosis and into an assumption from a one time event

myself I prefer Y.S. Organic Bee Farms - Organic Honey - 1 lb

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 10:56:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2011 10:58:56 PM PDT
You didn't drink the whole jar in one gulp, did you Trent? Honey will clean you out, that is for sure. I bet you never felt better than how you felt for the next week or so. Honey is particularly rough on diverticula, as it softens, promotes healing, scabbing and sloughing off of decaying material. You most probably didn't get the activation from germs in the honey, as precious few creatures can live in honey (real honey, that is, if substitutes are used, Caveat Emptor).

Please don't pasteurise your honey. Much of the oxidase will be destroyed by the heat. But you are correct; honey is very much a different form of sugars. There is no substitute, equivalent or copy. Everything that tries to be is called syrup, and there are some of those better than others.

I also use a fresh banana for calming the adrenaline if I wake up prematurely. I dislike turning the lights on and boiling water for an herb tea (with honey, of course). It is not that safe to do that in the darkness.

Few (if any) have addressed the role of fructose and liver function. Without fructose, the liver cannot mop up surplus glucose in the bloodstream; hence it spikes out and will most probably be turned into fat. Where did you get your insight into the night-fast low-blood-sugar-levels dilemma? Did you read the book or other source? Please tell us what and where if `other source.'

It is true that any natural fructose is effective. After all, many a times there is no honey. Many a time there is no fresh or even dried fruit either. Honey is far more storable and self preserving than any other good source of fructose. Forget HFCS it is a downright fraud.

It is hard for most people (especially diabetics and the experts who advise them) to realise that they cannot sleep owing to LOW blood sugar levels.

Cheers and happy purging.

JohnS

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 4:28:21 PM PST
I might just bump this on up too, in case the new readers want to comment.

The reading here is quite lucid, don't you think?

Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 6:05:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2012 6:42:36 PM PST
bought some raw honey once, and it made me and my wife sick as dogs for 2 days. I am all for pasteurization now. lo
~``~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wow Hi .. I am so surprised by this Trent because honey is naturally antispetic and not only that it is one of the very few natural things that actually has no shelf life limit. The story is it never goes bad unlike everything else ( besides maybe twinkies but that is for very different reasons.. one is not food and the other is supposedly really good for you and in fact honey has something in it that is healing to the GI tract specifically I wish I could recall what it is other then it is easier for the body supposedly because it is considered predigested .There is still something else in it that in theory helps symptoms of GI problems

I oNly get raw myself but that is because i much prefer the taste.. nothing else can compare to me .It is so too bad it did not agree with you because the pasturized honey is like having water compared in my book. it has No taste at all where the raw is bursting with flavor ( as I feel real honey should taste)

I really just so wonder what happened with you and your wife and if it wasnt something else you ingested that day or just what the issue was. MAybe someone did bad canning practices if you bought home made stuff at a farmers market or something?? .. not sure what you got but I get raw in the market and never any issues and in fact it has helped me with chronic stomach troubles in that I feel better ( not that it cured them ). I could never understand why it helped just knew it did until I looked it up and found there are real reasons for my feeling better.. so again I wonder what happened w/ you ( & assume it was stomach upset when you say you and yours got sick )

BTW..just as an FYI .. so far as this thread and the special diet and whatever claims are being made here.. well I am not rolling with that stuff blindly.. never heard of any of this before and I think most of this type stuff is generally a big scam though I have not even read any of the claims or the book so am not making any comments from that angle at all. I was just wondering what the hibernation thing was gonna be about then saw honey mentioned which is a favorite here so the topic caught my attention .. then i saw your post.. I Just wanted you to know i am not mentioning the benefits I have heard /had associated with honey due to promoting anything . As I say I have never heard of any of what the OP said or the diet or book(s) mentioned prior to this second.... Instead I just am baffled about what could have happened with you and your wife that you wound up sick and feeling it was the honey . wish there was some way to know more.

I also will say that I cannot blame you for not wanting to try it again .. if i got really sick off something I would not want it again either .. even if it is not what actuALLY made me ill & is just associated in my mind.. we are programed that way so as not to eat something poison twice for example.. so ..no , I am not suggesting you eat what you are not comfortable with .. it really is just me being curious and wanting to point out maybe somehow you wrongfully blame the raw thing when perhaps actually something else was the cause. I of course believe something happened with you and that honey was consumed the same day or shortly prior, and would never ever deny someone's experience . It is just of interest as it is sort of opposite of all I ever read up on about the properties of honey with raw honey included .

BTW you or your wife are not allergic to bee stings are you?? if so you should not eat honey .. that would have done it & then the honey would have made you pretty sick due to allergies !! I wounder Could either of you even be just a little allergic perhaps, but then I think even pasturized could/would be a problem. Again, I am just wondering out loud :)

~ alison

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 1:13:57 PM PST
In case you missed it at The Honey Revolution thread, here is a brilliant treatise by the Author of The Hibernation Diet Mike McInnes:

In this paper, he states that our metabolic rate during restorative sleep is 22 times greater than during our waking hours. And all that fuel comes from fat. ALL of it!

http://www.elprostatecancersupport.co.uk/downloads_34_3255373412.pdf

Cheers,

John$

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2013 11:44:22 AM PST
Katosel says:
your sickness Can't be from raw honey. i come from a beekeeping family, and there is absolutely no need to pasteurize honey. Never in our 100 years of family history with bees have we had any complains from our customers(we sell directly to people). Heating honey it destroys all enzymes and many other true benefits that raw honey has. Pasteurized honey is same as sugar. Raw honey is very healthy.

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 7:29:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2013 3:29:44 PM PST
Once again, the Cancer thread has attracted 10,000 posts and is now closed.

Congratulations to Debbie Taylor for entering the "Last Post."

So I will once again bump this one, as it opens the door to a myriad of other issues as well as the direct thread subject, with cancer being the ultimate state of degeneration which comes to us when we breech too many of natures rules and for too long.

The Authors of the Books The Hibernation Diet , The Honey Revolution, and now, Feed Your Brain First , insist that most all our chronic diseases are the product of Metabolic Distress Syndrome. Preventing and or minimizing this condition is certainly a positive step forward in dealing with all these diseases, despite the fact some of us are either too old or whatever, but unable to effect total cures.

The conflicts rage regarding who to believe, what school of thought to follow, where to look for valid and useful information to suit our individual needs, but finding that one key that unlocks MY hang-up, is always worth whatever effort it took to uncover it.

Health is such a whole-body condition, it follows that getting into Recovery Mode and staying there long enough to repair and replenish our body can only result in improved health regardless of which finger, organ or function of our biochemistry is our most identifiable weak spot or present troublemaker. A program of good food, sensible exercise and much positive thought can and will put anyone back on the road towards improved health, if only that individual will apply him or herself diligently to that program.

Honey figures in the logic of these authors, as it is once again proving itself to be the Gold Standard of foods for producing energy, and healing modes. I stress that if one is unable for any reason to get their head and their tongue around this simple notion, then all the rest of our conversations about how to return to good health will pay little dividend, as honey is such a long term, stand alone, natural, safe and satisfactory substance, an aversion to it must be indicative of some deep resentment, conflict of interest or cultural distortion of reality, which many folk do have, but which can easily be resolved by determined and consistent effort.

So whatever malady one suffers from, the insights in The Hibernation Diet can prove to be the start of a whole new awakening as to how one can return to a zestful and romantic life.

It worked for me!

Cheers,

John$

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 7:34:07 AM PST
Andrew King says:
"Heating honey it destroys all enzymes and many other true benefits that raw honey has."

What documentation is there that pasteurization eliminates any food's "benefits"?

For one thing, enzymes contained in food are destroyed in the digestive process, so it's highly unlikely that any enzymes in raw honey (beneficial or not) would survive to have any effect on you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  90
Initial post:  Jan 3, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions