Customer Discussions > Health forum

best whey protein powder

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 130 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2012 5:43:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2012 8:48:54 AM PST
I work out just about everyday and want the best recovery for the best money. I know there's a lot of hype about type of protein powder to get because of the percent isolate, added ingredients (aminos/creatine), and way that the protein is made (CFM/ion exchange).
I would just like an honest person's opinion.
I'm looking for a low carb protein mostly made of isolate for a GOOD price, nothing above 60 bucks for 5 lbs.
I would hope it tastes good, and for reference Optimum nutrition wasn't too bad and neither was EAS.
I was going to try isopure or isofuel, but i really want an honest opinion.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fitness on a budget is so hard
please keep in mind the millions of choices one has:muscle maxx, fitness pro, allmax, cytosport, designer whey, synergx (zero carb), syntrax nectar (awesome flavor), vpx

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 7:26:41 AM PST
Treehugger© says:
I liked GNC brand although it was expensive. Now I use Twinlab....cheaper but not as tasty. I cant imagine one is far superior in quality then the other (?)

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 9:20:03 AM PST
I agree. I think that GNC's AMP Wheybolic 60 is the best protein money can buy; however, if I use more than the suggested 60 grams' worth I sometimes get some digestion problems. If you are looking for a true 'recovery' protein, this stuff will all but erase post-workout soreness, at least in my experience. I've used quite a few different proteins, as well. It is very expensive, though. If you buy it from GNC during their sale week (first week of the month), it'll run you about $85 for 34 full sized servings (two three lb tubs), which is 60g per serving. I don't usually take the full 60 except after workouts, but I split up 20g servings throughout the day. So, I generally spend about that much per month. Hope that helps you figure out cost-efficiency, but seriously, it's worth it for me. It's the only protein I'll use now that I've used it.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 9:43:59 AM PST
Thanks. I've never tried anything from GNC.
It's more lean muscle i'm looking to build and maintain. I don't want a gainer. I've never had digestion problems usually.
that was why i was going for the isopure zero carb.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 10:35:44 AM PST
Treehugger© says:
Personally, I really believe low carbs is not a good thing. You need carbs. I feel sick and drained if I dont have some carbs. I read somewhere that carbs actually 'protect muscles'. Not sure what that means but I will try to dig up the article.

Of course hydrating is all-important as well

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 10:41:54 AM PST
Treehugger© says:
http://www.amazon.com/Twinlab-Protein-Chocolate-Surge-Pound/dp/B000GC7DKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329071976&sr=8-1

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 8:59:41 AM PST
Keith says:
Why not just get protein from quality animal sources in your diet? After all, that is the natural way to do it and the best thing for the body...

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 3:54:01 PM PST
Spellman says:
I agree. GNC.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 5:32:25 PM PST
i know a lot of people are pushing for GNC, but this is a bit expensive.
How about i ask about a general protein mix. Hydrolyzed protein doesn't last long enough for my purposes. I need a regular isolate. I'm looking for lower calorie and lower cost.
maybe i'm being picky, but, after looking at GNC products, i'd prefer to just stick with syntrax or now foods protein isolates.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 4:39:51 PM PDT
A better alternative to GNC is Progenex Recovery protein powder. It was awarded the protein powder of the Crossfit Games which is the world's largest sporting competition. Crossfit Games was designed to test an athletes fitness level which is missing in any other sporting event. if the fittest athletes in the world use Progenex Recovery then maybe we can learn something from them. If you do nothing after a workout your muscles will recover in a week or so. Protein powders from GNC cut this recovery time down to about 3 days. Progenex Recovery on the other hand will start the recovery process in just a matter of hours. You can find out more about Progenex Recovery at bestproteinpowderv.com.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 4:41:16 PM PDT
Bookgirl says:
We like Jarrow Formula Whey Protein Powder unflavored. We make smoothies with it and use frozen fruit (no sugar added) and you can a little stevia. They have it here.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 9:57:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2012 10:22:09 AM PDT
HutchK44 says:
I've only ever used Designer Whey Protein after my workouts to help with my recovery. They mix easily and taste great. I add a little Truvia to mine. The best tasting flavors are strawberry and chocolate in my opinion. Here's a link if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12?url=search-alias%3Daps

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 12:58:34 PM PDT
amjason2431 says:
My favorite is Provision 6 by Techline

http://www.supersup.com/techline-provision-6-chocolate-4-lbs-powder-1814-g-709503000226

I also use Gold Standard 100% Whey by Optimum Nutrition

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 3:51:06 PM PDT
J. White says:
Amazon has Neocell Collagen Sport on subscribe and save. It has vitamins/minerals, BCAA's, whey isolate, and collagen for muscle recovery and relief from pain after exercise. Also no gluten or synthetic sugars!

neocellsport.com/

Neocell Collagen Sport Whey Protein, Belgian Chocolate, 47.6 Ounce

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 3:08:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012 12:18:15 AM PDT
J. Westwind says:
This is probably not what you're looking for, but Atkin's makes Advantage Dark Chocolate Royale shake that contains NO SOY and 15g protein (including whey) per 160 calorie serving.

Also 930mg potassium/300mg sodium ratio.
4g fiber
2g carbs

To me, this shake is a bit too rich -- I like to thin it with fat free milk.
Would probably be better to add whey isolate.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 8:56:09 AM PDT
socialhermit says:
This is the highest quality whey protein. http://www.defensenutrition.com/organic-warrior-whey?category_id=0. You can also make your own. non GMO organic brown rice protein and yellow pea protein mix with macqui berry (must have seed and skin included). ratio of above protein is 2/1 and 1 tsp of macqui berry. Dont skimp on quality, you are investing your health.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 1:58:37 PM PDT
Lucy Sosa says:
14oz at $24.00 for OWW is a lot of money especially when there is so much to consider out there that many claim provide just as good results as this one. let us know when the pricing becomes somewhat competitive. I am willing to pay a bit more if organic but a LOT more. Maybe when I am no longer a college student I will be able to afford the Organic Warrior Whey. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 1:31:22 PM PDT
teaboss says:
It says it is hydrolyzed which is excellent but if you read the small print it says milk and soy ingredients are added so it is not 100% protein. It also states the "go" signal involves calcium which is important but is not as important as the amino acid cysteine. Cysteine is the key to activating glutathione which is key to muscle recovery, not calcium. Actually in reality the best whey protein powder available is called Immunocal. It is a whey protein isolate consisting of 90-94% pure protein. It is undenatured allowing the cysteine in the protein to stay intact.

You can read more here as to why it is the best and why there can be no equal: http://blog.the2in1initiative.com/2012/02/whey-protein-which-one-will-be-your-best-buy

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 6:35:30 PM PDT
AB says:
I'm poor as ___!!!! But I wouldn't use anything else... my body can't handle anything that trashes it... my kids and I use only the BEST-
ONE WORLD WHEY

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 7:20:08 PM PDT
Do u feel that u ever determined an answer to your question? I am curious on this same subject. I currently do not take any supplements, including any protein powder, but popular opinion indicates that perhaps I should, at least, consume protein powder. I'm hoping to find a consensus on the most effective of these for the money (money is secondary) and from independent sources. Have you been satisfied in your research?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 8:03:25 PM PDT
Lucy Sosa says:
John, a book could be written about the history, the claims, and the passions surrounding all these protein powders. I settled for Raw Protein - Beyond Organic Protein Formula. (At least for now.) I believe three things convinced me: the USDA/Organic label, the claim that it is organic, and some of the reviews. (You know you can't trust a lot of these reviews.) No one will love and care for our body the way we will.) It is time-consuming to determine who is telling the truth and who gets the closest to caring for your body and mine the way we do. I have invested some time on this and will continue to do so -- I will remain skeptical. I just ordered The Wellness Reports on Dietary Supplements from Berkeley University of California. You may be interested. They seem more trustworthy to me than all these independent websites claiming to have the most valid and reliable information on dietary supplements. There is $$$ to be made -- right? Good luck. Let me know if you find any information regarding the whey protein that may be helpful to me. I do kettle bells, treadmill, and elliptical and would love to find the most compatible and body friendly whey protein.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 8:57:27 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 22, 2012 8:37:46 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 10:01:57 PM PDT
Tara says:
I've been using Promasil protein powder that I purchased at GNC and GNC's creatine powder after my workouts. I too am not looking to bulk up, but to build lean muscle and ease recovery. Four weeks in and I have been able to workout six days a week, consistently improve my weight training and have only had aches and pains when I push too hard, but even those only last about a day. I also use a foam roller at least twice a week to keep everything well stretched and ready to go. Being a vegetarian I have been in search of a great protein supplement for years and have found Promasil to be good tasting and dissolves like a charm!

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 10:35:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 22, 2012 8:37:46 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 11:32:37 PM PDT
K. Atiwethin says:
I'd suggest you guys check out truenutrition.com and buy their recession whey, I bought 50lbs of whey for about 300$ which is the cheapest I've seen. they are very good quality as well. Another site is smartpowers.com

I also got a 10% discount to truenutrition as well. If you're interested. let me know
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  130
Initial post:  Feb 12, 2012
Latest post:  May 6, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions