Customer Discussions > Health forum

Bunions and Orthotics

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2012 8:20:07 PM PST
I have had a bunion for as long as I can remember, but it never bothered me until I bought a new, expensive pair of shoes which really felt great in the store. However, after wearing them a few days, a small cyst formed on top of the bunion which hurt to the touch. Long story short, I went to a podiatrist for the first time who suggested surgery but said it was pushing the envelope a bit as I am over 70. I said I would prefer something more conservative and then she suggested orthotics which she casts in her office. She said it would take the pressure off my bunion. I purchased over the counter orthotics ($100) at a shoe store that specialized in comfortable footwear and have been wearing them a few years. My question is - do orthotics that are custom made work better and would it help to slow down the progress of the bunion. Thanks for any input.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 6:45:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 6:47:29 PM PST
guest says:
I had orthotics specially made by a podiatrist years ago, they helped more with comfort, but you have to get bigger shoes cause they take up a little room.
So your new shoes will still hurt cause the bunion will rub against the side irritating it causing it to become inflamed.
If you want comfortable shoes you'll have to get those ugly expensive orthopedic shoes that are wide enough to accomodate the bunion or very comfortable sports shoes and put the orthotics in them.
I had bunionectomies years ago and never regretted it. But the recovery takes several months and you have swelling off and on for a year.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 11:12:07 AM PST
widowTink says:
I've suffered for many years with bunions. The left one hurts more than the right one, but I've got 'em bilaterally. I've tried the orthotics, worked okay for a while. I finally found a shoe brand I can wear....Easy Spirit.....and I wear "sensible" shoes, flats only, athletic-type. I can't tolerate any kind of heel at all. I can't wear any kind of "cute shoes", and I've lost all interest in shoe shopping. I'm THIS CLOSE to seriously considering the surgery. When my bunions are swollen and painful sometimes I put icepacks on them, and that seems to help for a while.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 12:44:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 4:46:24 PM PST
guest says:
If you have bunionectomies done, do the worst foot first, I had them done in the 80s, only one is trying to make a comeback...but nothing like before.
It is a genetic thing, goes with the flat foot type, there is no other way to get rid of them.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xd933485c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions