Customer Discussions > Health forum

NO harm in second hand smoke

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Apr 15, 2010 8:25:54 AM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1823 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2009 4:06:05 PM PDT
The hysteria over second hand smoke is ridiculous. More than one study shows there is NO harm in second hand smoke. The World Health Organization did a study hoping to find proof that second hand smoke was dangerous, but that's not what the study found. Alarmed, the WHO did another study...same result. The second hand smoke study was done over a period of seven years. They talked with and examined family members or people who worked around heavy smokers in the work place. Their findings - The study found no statistically significant risk existed for non-smokers who either lived or worked with smokers. Unfortunately, the anti-smoke crowd has gone nuts and panicked and are now trying to spin things to scare people. (Hey, if it's not a crisis then that means no money to these organizations) ....read for yourself http://www.forces.org/evidence/files/pas-smok.htm

Posted on Mar 27, 2009 9:57:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 26, 2009 6:04:37 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 27, 2009 10:41:43 PM PDT
Tobacco users are losers eh? wow what a clever original statement. I believe you generalizing that people under the ago of 70 are idiots is quite the intellectual statement. It makes me think that maybe these people aren't the idiots and maybe you are. So basically your also suggesting that everyone who smokes also are low lives and are on government medical insurance. So basically your saying that anyone who smokes has an in-equivalent life to yours. Oh and the show stopper "how can you allow children to breath that smoke?" again, your generalizations cease to amaze me. Not every smoker is blowing smoke down their children's lungs or even smoking around them. So really I find you to be the idiot. I have met many smokers that would make you look like an idiot. So should that mean that you shouldn't wear a seatbelt or take medicine to try to increase the longevity or quality of your life. No it doesn't because even after all your unsupported and absurd statements your still a human being. Just because there a fewer smokers and it's to put every grievance and problem we have and make them our scape goats with increased taxes. It's their decision as a human being and they have a right doing what they wish with their bodies. So please stop being the idiot. Oh, and by the way your grammar and language is at about a 5th grade level and your "tastes like licking an ashtray" seems like it would come from a DARE class.

Posted on Mar 27, 2009 10:44:02 PM PDT
Oh and just to make myself clear I don't agree with the statement that second hand smoke is harmless either. I just don't believe that self righteous like C. Cook should talk to smokers like they are subhuman.

Posted on Mar 27, 2009 11:42:02 PM PDT
To answer your question Mr. Cook. I do not smoke cigarettes but love a fine cigar. My mother-in-law, a nurse, smoked cigarettes and loved her sweets. She was close to 90 when she died. Never sick a day in her life. She never even tried to stop smoking. And the women I date tell me they love the smell of a fine cigar. The first thing I tell a woman I start dating is that I am a cigar smoker and if she has a problem with that - goodbye.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 9:30:44 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 1, 2009 8:09:34 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 10:11:40 AM PDT
N. Robinson says:
"I take it you smoke?"

The OP might, but I don't, and as someone who doesn't smoke, I'm also skeptical about the dangers of secondhand smoke. It's okay to question without being a disciple.

"Kissing somebody who smokes must be like licking an ashtray."

It's not. Try it sometime.

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 10:44:51 AM PDT
Studies are always pointless. The change every minute and depending on who's conducting them. All I know is I can't stand being around smokers. I get sick headaches from breathing tobacco smoke. But they always blow that nasty smelly stuff around without regard to anyone. And you walk into one puff and the smell sticks to your clothes so you get to enjoy it all day long. Oh, and smoke doesn't stay in the non smoking section, so I can't even enjoy a meal at a restaurant for it. Then they've got the nerve to complain about how they're being harassed. Also, my Mom has lung cancer without having smoked a day in her life. She did however spend lots of time exposed to people who smoke. I doubt it helped. People aren't supposed to breathe smoke and ash. It turns your lungs black. What possible good could come of it?

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 11:52:24 AM PDT
Capt. McPl0x says:
Ask all the waitresses with lung cancer.

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 2:10:49 PM PDT
Dojo Grande says:
When a baby dies of sudden infant death syndrome and an autopsy is done, their lungs very frequently show the effects of second hand smoke. Researchers went all over the world administering questionnaires to the families of babies who died of SIDS. They asked all kinds of questions including sleeping arrangements, diet, and environmental factors. They discovered that the babies who had died were likely to have been exposed to second-hand smoke within 12 hours of their death (either once or ongoing up to their death). Do a simple Google search for SIDS and second hand smoke. Not all babies who are exposed to second hand smoke die, but some do. The toxins in the smoke also make babies feel nauseated and cause them not to gain the weight they need and get sick more often. Smoke all you want but, please, not around anyone with small lungs.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 3:00:54 PM PDT
Pure bunk

Inhaling ANY type of smoke is harmful, no matter what the source.

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 3:03:37 PM PDT
My mother smoked for almost 50 years... until she died of lung cancer last June.

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 4:08:22 PM PDT
Cat says:
Holy cow...you again... I will share the same link to the ALA then I will look at your link....

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 4:10:40 PM PDT
Cat says:
you're kidding me right? Your source is some blog... most likely funded by the tobacco industry...or just a bunch of addicts that feel the need to justify their addiction.... *sigh*

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 4:13:22 PM PDT
Cat says:
oh....don't get me started on the uselessness of "non-smoking sections" as if smoke obeys imaginary boundaries... not to mention the fact that nearly every single restaurant makes it so you have to walk through the smoking section to use the bathroom... grrrrr... how annoying is that!?!?

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 4:39:07 PM PDT
Cookie Davis says:
LOL--Limon,

You are a pot-stirrer aren't you? As my g-ma would say, you just like to get folks riled up.
It's hard to believe that anyone in this day and age would try to argue such a crazy point.

And the bit about the cigar---too much. Do you have many dates? I can't imagine a man telling me on a date that whether or not I enjoy the smell of a cigar is a deal breaker. But hey, if that works for you. . . . .It's pretty egotistical and boorish.

Just out of curiosity, is you name pronounced LIE-mon like Simon? Or like Lee-moan, a sorta French pron. of lemon?

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 5:12:43 PM PDT
Jaesea says:
Having a 'smoking section' in a building is like having a 'pee section' in a swimming pool.....

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 7:22:02 PM PDT
Cookie- It's LIE-mon. I have never been told I am boorish and I don;t have an ego problem. I am just not going to tolerate a woman being intolerant of something I like to do. Hey, if you don;t like being around a cigar smoker then stay away from me. I am not going to change because YOU don;t like something.

Yes, I have all the dates I need and I have found many women who don;t mind the cigar thing. But others have tried to give me this hysterical non-sense that somehow just by releasing smoke in the air is somehow dangerous. That;s just intellectually dumb. You've just been conditioned to think like sheep by believing whatever you read or hear about this subject. You have to use your brain and refuse to be easily lead by propaganda

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 8:01:40 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 11:45:46 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2009 12:02:38 AM PDT
Wowzers. The vitriol and anger towards a legal and tasty product is unsightly at best. Did Joe Camel kill your parents? The 1998 WHO study that found that secondhand smoke "kills," was redacted. The World Health Organization admitted that they lied. If you have to yell and lie to support your cause, maybe your cause isn't strong enough to support itself. You have to look at definitions. A "smoking related death" may not be caused by smoking. Don't merely vomit statistics. Your incredibly clever technique of capitalizing to show emphasis and simulate yelling is tired and uneducated. I smoke; granted I only smoke premium cigarettes. I also have prehypertension at 23 years of age. I make the choice everytime I light up a delightful American Spirit Perique cigarette. I take far more joy in my life than you, not because my mind is weak($20 says I'm smarter than you), but because I have considered the risks, and have decided that I can enjoy shredded, aged tobacco for a few years of my life. Stop being a dick, patronize non-smoking establishments, or establishments that do not allow the smoking and non-smoking section to overlap.
with love,
-wilk
just a bit of an aside, but notice how calm I am when responding to an ad hominim attack? Also, how did shopping for magic cards turn into a debate about smoking?

Posted on Mar 29, 2009 1:38:59 AM PDT
Second hand smoke may not kill. Or it might. It seems to vary from study to study and day to day. Question is, what does smoking add to your life? They are banning smoking in many places and about freaking time I might add. I watch people all the time in restaurants get up and leave their families, to run outside and have a smoke really quickly. I grew up with a mother who was BADLY allergic to cigarette smoke, and at an early age learned to violently HATE it. Smokers freely wandered about, blowing their smoke obnoxiously in my face, and throwing their cigarettes out randomly littering parking lots, sidewalks, and the sides of the roads. If you want to kill yourself slowly, be my guest. One less person on the planet. I personally can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke and find smokers both annoying and a source of horrified fascination. Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor dark of night, nor apparently any other horrid weather will keep a smoker from standing out in horrid weather to suck down a cigarette. I've seen them outside of stores when it is in the single digits frantically smoking, or stepped out the door of my apartment to be surrounded in a cloud of smoke, and frankly, I am not sure whether to feel pity for the smoker, or annoyance. I generally go for annoyance, as I cannot understand the desire to smoke. It hurts the lungs, burns the eyes, and has been proven, repeatedly and without a doubt, to harm the smoker (at least) so I simply cannot understand the desire. But then, I am asthmatic and so have never had to worry about giving in to peer pressure that way. It would, quite literally, kill me. Ah well. For me, it boils down to this. If you want to kill yourself, fine. Smoke away. Just do it away from those who do not wish to smell like an ash-tray. I will stick with caffeine as my drug of choice.

Posted on Mar 29, 2009 8:23:38 AM PDT
C. Moeller says:
I totally disagree with the statement that second hand smoke is harmless. I once owned a daycare for about 6 years. The parents that smoked, their children suffered from numerous ear infections, and always seemed sick as the children in nonsmoking households were not as sick. It was not pleasant dealing with the smell of their belongs either. My in-laws smoke, we do not allow them to smoke in front of our children or even on their own house when we are there. After visiting them we smell like an ashtray. Needless to say we go straight home to shower us and our children. We do not visit often only due to the fact they smoke in their house. We love them, however, do not want to deal with the way we feel after we leave their house. This is by first hand knowledge! Also my mother was a smoker when I was little, I had many ear infections leading to some loss of hearing.

Posted on Mar 29, 2009 9:11:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2009 9:32:56 AM PDT
I wouldn't put much faith in any study. It really depends on how these studies are conducted, and who is conducting these studies, do those conducting the study benefit from the results of the study, etc. Even the FDA can be manipulated when it bans products :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia#Political_controversy

I think second hand smoke can be harmful in the right conditions.

But you know what, I live in LA, and from my building on a windy day in the morning, I can see a red/orange haze. There was a time also when my AC wasn't working and I decided to drive with the windows down on the freeway, and my passenger and I got headaches after the drive, I didn't realize it until we stopped rolling down the windows. I even have a friend who moved to Utah and came back to visit and he said he can smell the smog. I'm thinking, forget second hand smoke, walking or jogging in the streets in LA might be a health hazard.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2009 9:40:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2009 9:45:12 AM PDT
D. Jay says:
Regardless of whether or not you believe that second hand smoke is harmful to others, the fact remains that YOUR bad habits are YOUR OWN and I want no part of them. Until and unless you can find a way to keep your cigarette smoke entirely to yourself, DO NOT SMOKE AROUND NON-SMOKERS!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 73 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  635
Total posts:  1823
Initial post:  Mar 27, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 36 customers

Search Customer Discussions