Customer Discussions > Health forum

Beware of Energy Drinks!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2012 7:16:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 7:20:53 AM PST
I've written before how these super-stimulants, energy drinks, can speed up your system and age you faster. The result is people in their 20s-30s suddenly having heart attacks and strokes. Slowly, the proof is coming out:

http://www.examiner.com/article/energy-drinks-causing-the-death-of-teens
ENERGY DRINKS CAUSING THE DEATH OF TEENS

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/23/business/fda-receives-death-reports-citing-monster-energy-a-high-caffeine-drink.html?_r=0
5 PEOPLE DEAD IN 3 YEARS FROM MONSTER ENERGY DRINKS

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2019683896_energy15.html
5-HOUR ENERGY SHOTS HAVE BEEN CITED IN 13 DEATHS IN 4 YEARS

There are probably more deaths than this, just misdiagnosed as heart-defects or naturally-caused strokes.

Better to stick with a few cups of coffee or tea for breakfast. Maybe a caffeinated soda after lunch. That way you'll be able to sleep, and your body can heal/repair from the day.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 11:10:32 AM PST
OldAmazonian says:
Just don't eat or drink anything covered by copyright or trademark, and you'll be just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 11:14:32 AM PST
Oregongirl says:
I don't see anything wrong with energy drinks. It's the over-consumption of them that's the problem. I see people buy them by the case all the time.

And sodas every day ruin your teeth eventually.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:20:41 PM PST
If you want energy, check out:
http://www.revhoney.com/

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:41:36 AM PST
An energy drink for breakfast is like a couple cups of coffee. But if someone is drinking energy drinks all day and half the night - they're in line for a heart attack or stroke.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:51:32 AM PST
OldAmazonian says:
Credible link on caffeine hazards, please?

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 9:04:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 9:05:28 AM PST
OldAmazonian -

Here you are!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/NU00600
(Corrected)
MAYO CLINIC: HOW MUCH CAFFEINE IS TOO MUCH?

http://www.prevention.com/health/healthy-living/5-signs-youve-had-too-much-caffeine
5 SIGNS YOU'VE HAD TOO MUCH CAFFEINE

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 10:16:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 10:17:53 AM PST
widowTink says:
Energy drinks are gross. I never tasted one I would want to taste again. There's a weird, chemical aftertaste to all of them, so I never drink them. Now I'm really glad I don't like them. I like a little coffee in the morning, then I move on to home-brewed jasmine green tea sweetened with a little Dole Sensation Watermelon juice drink. That is superior refreshment. Lots of ice water. Fat free milk with dinner. One or two cocktails on the weekends. That's enough for me.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 11:53:22 AM PST
But how else can we be productive? What else is our worth!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 2:00:26 PM PST
Nice use of the word morning, Tink.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 8:09:52 AM PST
Jules says:
There is such a thing as an ALL NATURAL Energy drink that actual taste really good. probably because it has no chemicals. It is sustainable energy without the shakes, jitters or crash.Yoli PASSION Tropical Melon with Thermo-G Thermogenic Energy Drink [Single Serving Packets - 35 ct]

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 8:10:48 AM PST
Jules says:
There is such a thing as an ALL NATURAL Energy drink that actual taste really good. probably because it has no chemicals. It is sustainable energy without the shakes, jitters or crash.Yoli PASSION Tropical Melon with Thermo-G Thermogenic Energy Drink [Single Serving Packets - 35 ct] Two Flavors Berry & Tropical Melon

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:40:44 PM PST
Drinking anything, unless it's water, 'all day and half the night' is hard on the body. That includes sugary drinks, coffee, booze, even juice for some people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 11:38:41 PM PST
Water is Good!

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 12:55:49 PM PST
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/which-energy-drinks-to-avoid-and-which-to-embrace-153723571.html

ENERGY DRINKS TO AVOID - HEALTHY ONES TO DRINK INSTEAD

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:14:58 PM PST
Curtis says:
Energy drinks = gross

But coffee and alcohol on the other hand....;)

Anyways, I try to avoid the need for energy drinks altogether. Rarely do I feel sluggish or tired when I shouldn't. They certainly dont taste good enough (to me of course) to actually crave them.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:37:51 AM PST
Omar says:
Energy drinks have value if you exercise or are very active and sweat a lot. Drinking them all the time is not recommended, or at all if you're not active and sweating. If you drink them while exercising, and only when you get thirsty, they can help prevent the tired, weak feeling some people get after an intense workout.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 1:50:44 PM PST
Agreed. They are fine in moderation. I see people drinking them all the time though, instead of eating, sleeping or drinking water like they should. Then they are a problem.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:56:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 9:57:14 AM PST
Thanks for your thoughtful posts.

The darker-side to energy drinks, is that it also promotes sleep-deprivation. Miss enough RIM sleep, and you are (however temporarily) clinically psychotic.

The Connecticut shooter lived in his mother's basement, and was always on the computer, obsessing over military weaponry. So sleep-deprivation may have been a factor when he finally "snapped."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:04:37 AM PST
I don't see a connection at all between drinking energy drinks, and shooting people in a school.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 11:40:50 AM PST
All I'm saying is that constantly drinking energy drinks could contribute to sleep-deprivation. As any parent or schoolteacher will tell you, people who are too tired can't concentrate, and tend to be short-tempered. This COULD lead to psychotic thinking, like plotting crazy and dangerous "events" to get noticed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 5:08:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012 5:13:46 PM PST
Indeed, Marilyn, we do not commit crimes in isolation from our total being. Crimes of passion, crimes against the state, war crimes and even crimes of omission are quite a tangle of definition, admittedly, but basically going mad whether with spouse, dog or fellow citizens is a grand indictment against the lifestyle we have lived prior to that.

We use the expression "High Minded" to define idealists and possibly religious zealots, but in fact, the more refined areas of our brains only function well if our energy is high. When the energy of the body and soul is low, we do all sorts of things that are more attuned to our animal instincts, or shall we say, originating from the body (solar Plexus area) and the brain stem and lower areas deep within the cranium.

Those who live on cheap sugar, emotional fixes and drugs of any persuasion are far more likely to do something violent and animalish than those who are energised by a healthy body and a well functioning mind. The behaviour of small children is the easiest place to see the relationship between diet and sociability and our capacity to remain calm amidst the turmoil of life.

Ali, perhaps you do or don't have small children in your daily world, but if you are interested in understanding why Marilyn and I think this way, visit with young parents and watch how they eat and how their kids behave and the link will soon become obvious.

Cheers,

John$

PS: Even a small percentage of "REAL" fructose is useful at Christmas Time to help our liver mop up any surplus glucose from the bloodstream.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:58:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 9:58:53 AM PST
Thanks, John! Good nutrition and enough sleep make a tremendous difference with growing kids. A cafeteria-revamp (and replacing vending junk food with healthy snacks) in Appleton, Wisconsin, resulted in better grades and much fewer behavioral problems.

Like John said, healthy lifestyles CAN make a tremendous difference in how people think and behave - especially young people.

http://www.feingold.org/PF/wisconsin1.html

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 2:20:10 PM PST
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/health/scant-proof-is-found-to-back-up-claims-by-energy-drinks.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130102&_r=0

ENERGY DRINKS: SCANT PROOF FOR THEIR CLAIMS OF GIVING YOU A "MENTAL AND PHYSICAL EDGE"
Energy drinks are the fastest-growing part of the beverage industry, with sales in the U.S. reaching more than $10 Billion in 2012. But the FDA is investigating them after reports of deaths and serious injuries that may be linked to their high caffeine levels.

While scientific studies show that energy drinks' ingredients may have little benefit. "If you had a cup of coffee, you are going to affect metabolism in the same way."

My point, exactly!

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:33:15 AM PST
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/business/5-hour-energys-no-crash-later-claim-is-disputed.html?src=recg

"ENERGY SHOT'S" NO-CRASH CLAIM DISPUTED BY WATCHDOG GROUP
ES brags in their advertising that that the concentrated caffeine drink produces "no crash later," or the letdown or fatigue felt when the beverage's effects wear off. But the National Advertising Division charges that the claim is false, and will start a review that could lead to action against the company by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
I wonder... 45 1 hour ago
MONSANTO 6707 1 hour ago
Rife Machine Usuage 3354 1 hour ago
Do you ever feel like your spouse/partner sabotages your weight loss? 11 2 hours ago
The Honey Revolution 1145 18 hours ago
What would happen if we stopped giving vaccines? 6221 3 days ago
Cyclic Vomiting 7 3 days ago
Hair Loss Due to Botox Injections 104 4 days ago
Portable Oxygen Concentrators 341 6 days ago
Tips for Weight Loss 53 9 days ago
Anyone use moringa oil? 3 10 days ago
Growing crisis of antibiotic resistance 24 11 days ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions