Customer Discussions > Health forum

why are Americans so fat?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 308 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2012 3:30:10 PM PDT
Treehugger© says:
Ive pondered this question for a long time. Excerpts from an article is a good start point for a discussion

1 : Horrible subsidizing practices
The American government essentially subsidizes fast food ingredients.

2 : Infrastructure optimized for inactivity

3 : Brainwashed youth

4 : Water flouridation ( read the article its an interesting point)

5 : Terrible response to Obesity

6 : Being Obese is O.K.

7 : Losing weight is hard

http://ahealthconcept.com/?p=35

Peter Jennings report - How to Get Fat Without Really Trying - part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3kRgetwJ3I&feature=player_embedded

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 4:27:01 PM PDT
We live in a society that has been sweetened to death.

The excessive availability and consumption of sweeteners is at the dietary foundations of obesity.

The absence of discipline, whether self imposed or otherwise, is a critical part of the non dietary factors.

In short terms, we are a pampered and spoiled society. Obesity thus, becomes a cultural disease, and little can be done about it overall, except as individuals we can change our own lives.

Governments, the WHO or the Church are not interested, rather, they are happy to keep piling sugar in front of us. It has become their roles to protect big business and big organisations who are major employers, and at these levels, no effort of a serious nature will be made to address the fundamental problem. They will pretend, and pay lip service aplenty, but the ship will sink before they confront the problems head on. The sinking of our society will fix it up once and for all.

Read the book, The Hibernation Diet for the way out of this mess on a personal level. It makes so much sense, one can apply it to most all our chronic diseases, as has been done in the book, The Honey Revolution: Restoring the Health of Future Generations

It was bad gospel, bad ideas (like "follow the money") that got us here, and only good ideas will bring us any relief. An unwillingness to accept the responsibility for it personally, an unwillingness to seek out better information and the lack of sufficient personal resolve to change our lifestyles will prevent any cure, any relief or improvement, especially of a permanent kind. Marginal improvement, and temporary, will follow on from mediocre attempts to change.

Wild animals fatten naturally, as they are exposed to more seasonal food changes and they need stored fuel to see them through bad times. Our society has removed the bad times, but not our animal instincts that encourage us to be gluttons when food is available. The more humans we breed for this planet, the more and more our animal instincts are in evidence.

We think ourselves into whatever our life evolves into. If we follow the crowd, like herd animals, we rise and fall with the crowd. If we think for ourselves, we can be whatever we chose.

Cheers,

John$

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 5:50:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2012 7:05:37 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
All that, + "Freedom of Choice," which in this morbidly obese land of conditioned wretched excesses is the most hilarious of oxymorons.

p.s: "Flouridation" may be OK if it is done with organic whole grain.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 1:21:35 AM PDT
Treehugger© says:
"We live in a society that has been sweetened to death"

yes any sweetener is empty calories but in moderation is ok

I personally put on excess weight and I do blame it on no monitoring my weight. For several years I did not know how much I weighed and when I found out I was blown away. I think many fat people do the same. Call it 'fat-denial'.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 7:04:40 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Does it really matter unless the trees object?

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 10:58:58 AM PDT
Treehugger© says:
When I was at my heaviest I felt old and tired

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 9:32:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2012 9:37:02 PM PDT
I'm pushing 70 and, about 55 years ago, went on an student exchange trip frm my home in Canada to a town just across the border in the US. I was bowled over by the number of enormously fat people when, in our town, almost every person was relatively slim.

My host family quickly showed me why Americans are fat. To "celebrate" my arrival they ordered pizza and the barrage of fast food kept up all weekend. They were considerably less well off than my family but instead of eating out once a month, as we did, they apparently bought fast food on a regular basis.

As far as I could see the problem was availability. Our two towns were about the same size but (for fast food) we had one A&W, and an English fish and chip shop. Pizza didn't arrive on the local scene for another year or so. By contrast, the American town had dozens of options and a lot of people were enjoying them all.

Other factors such as exercise are important but I think easy availability of foods that add on the pounds is the main factor. Once people are obese they are obviously not going to be exercising nearly as much as they did when they were slimmer. Also, more women work outside the home, now, but my mother worked so that wasn't a factor for us.

At home, or eating out, fresh bread, real butter, lean meats, fresh vegetables and fruit desserts (like pie) is what my parents fed us kids. We weren't skinny but we weren't fat, either. In fact, if memory serves, there was only one girl in our high school (1200 students) who was slightly fat. I don't recall any really fat adults.

Times have changed and it's a temptation to pick up burgers or order pizza but the result is totally predictable: an additional 10 or 20 lbs gained by the end of the year. That kind of eating is simply not sustainable and as long as we do it, we'll just get fatter.

Unfortunately, Canada has caught up over the years and Canadians are very nearly as chubby as y'all. Hooray for the consumer society, I guess!

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 9:35:37 AM PDT
The trick is to eat healthy, I read this book in order to get all the information right and also learn how to have a better nutrition, it all comes together. Obesity and Nutrition: Nutrition 101

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 10:23:26 AM PDT
Treehugger© says:
@N.Joy: I noticed Canadians are generally not overweight. I've read recently that someone can be somewhat overweight and if they get regular exercise they will be healthier than someone who is trim but does not exercise.

I know its not my place that everyone should trim down and exercise but it is an epidemic that Americans are fat and unfit and it is costing everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 2:17:29 PM PDT
We have a locally authored book entitled, "Accidentally Fat." I have not read it, but the name is catchy and tells a good deal about the issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 7:26:27 PM PDT
Do you know about alloxan and leptin? Do a google search of both please.

Part of the answer is that Coco Cola and other food manufacturers (according to a British TV programme) changed from using sugar in the 1970's to using corn syrup (fructose) which is sweeter and addictive in nature and thus people are drinking and eating products with this in since that time and you can get cravings when you try to get off it. Change to sparkling or plain water.

Stop eating any white flour or white rice, white sugar and white table salt because alloxan is a by product of the chlorine bleach that is used in making the products white and it is bad for the pancreas and thus weight issues. Change to stoneground flour or get off wheat completely if you want to lose weight. Try it for a couple of weeks to see for yourself. Because alloxan is a by product and not an ingredient the food manufactueres don't have to tell you about it.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 11:50:58 PM PDT
Jim says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 8:30:09 PM PDT
I see that you gave yourself a five star review on your own book.

Best selling author my butt.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 1:51:30 AM PDT
Sorry I thought that was what I was supposed to do - not best selling author but that I believe the contents of the book is 5 star as it is based on over 20 years of professional experience.

Would you like a free copy so that you can take a look for yourself? My email address is Susan@EmotionalHealthForEmotionalWealth.co.uk and if you send me an email remind me of this discussion and I will happily give you a copy of my book Emotional Health for Emotional Wealth (ebook format only but there is a free app on my website so that you can read on computer etc).

That offer is open to anyone else who wants to see for themselves the book content before commenting further.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 1:53:52 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 3:51:55 AM PDT
He was talking to Jimmie

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 6:57:21 AM PDT
Well, epic fail. I don't drink soda, or any sugary drink. I make my own yogurt, grow my own sprouts, and bake my own whole wheat sourdough bread, and I made the starter. I'm fat.

My grandparents had soda when they wanted it, ate white bread and rice, and were never overweight. They were active, but so am I.

Obviously, there is no one answer, and it's definitely not in your book.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 8:08:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2012 8:20:57 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Surprising study of diet-induced genetic risk for obesity:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120921162308.htm

The sodas we drank as kids may be making us fat today!

What our mothers ate before pregnancy may apparently influence the risk as well:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120920140156.htm

My guess is today's great exposure to BPA and other endocrine disruptors not found in our grandparents' diets accounts for much of the world's "obesity epidemic."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 9:04:03 AM PDT
Maybe so. I still don't think there's a magic bullet, though.

I didn't drink much soda as a kid, either. Maybe 8 ounces a week. A lot of times I didn't finish it. I drank skim milk.

My mother ate everything! She said when she was carrying me, she couldn't lay off the apples. What does that mean?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 9:07:01 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Did she fear doctors?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 9:19:14 AM PDT
No, she did not. Which was fortunate for her, since she had so many children.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 2:20:19 PM PDT
Wasson is right, I was replying to Jimmie. Any author giving themselves a 5 star review is entering sticky territory. As a frequent buyer of books I appreciate clear, concise, unbiased reviews. I will often buy a book even with negative reviews because they are either beefs about shipping or offer critcal commentary.

I am not big on authors who review their own books. At least you didn't hide your name however. An author's 'review' isn't a review, it's an advertisement. Not legit.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 2:27:57 PM PDT
I'm not certain what I said that seems to have offended but by recommending a book by Suzy Cohen RPh "Diabetes without Drugs" was about telling the world that she has something useful to contribute - have you actually read any of HER book?

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 4:09:20 PM PDT
Treehugger© says:
people eat too much, too much sugar, too little exercise

sugar makes people hungrier

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 1:55:02 AM PDT
What part of "my grandparents ate white bread and white rice, and had a soda when they wanted, and they were never overweight" did you misunderstand?

Alloxan clearly does not play into it for everyone. And I don't see where you recommended "Diabetes without Drugs" anywhere; not that I would read it if I had diabetes (I don't) because I would consult a nutritionist.

Still an epic fail.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Vitamins vs Whole Foods 580 2 minutes ago
MONSANTO 6878 2 hours ago
What would happen if we stopped giving vaccines? 7026 12 hours ago
Plantar Fasciitis 500 15 hours ago
Beware of Energy Drinks! 50 1 day ago
Help! I'm exhausted and have no energy to do much. 1380 2 days ago
Infant circumcision 3951 2 days ago
Rife Machine Usuage 3570 2 days ago
What is best for Neuropathy feet pain. 5 3 days ago
foot drop or drop foot 20 4 days ago
vibrational healing 0 7 days ago
PENETREX 0 7 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  308
Initial post:  Sep 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions