Customer Discussions > Health forum

Unvaccinated children/adults health history

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 7258 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2008 8:14:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2009 11:09:31 AM PST
Lesli D. says:
Can anyone who has not been vaccinated report good health overall? Specifically, lack of asthma, allergies, diabetes, autism, autoimmune disorders, and any others that have been linked to vaccines?

Additionally, any non-vax folks out there ever regret not vaxing? And non-vax experiences with getting illnesses, disease, autoimmune disorders etc.? Just trying to cover all the bases. Thanks to all for posting your stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2008 8:45:41 PM PST
I have wondered about this as well. My children have be vaccinated as have my husband and I. Thanks for the question - I hope someone will respond because I would like to know the answer as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2008 11:11:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2008 2:19:50 PM PST
Esoterica says:
Hi, my baby is now 22 months old and I refused to vaccinate her. She has never been ill, had only a cold so far that lasted one or two days when everyone else was down for at least a week. I don't know if this is related to vaccines or not, but it looks like her immune system is developing stronger than of those kids who receive regular vaccines. I was worried at first (you know how the doctors scare you), but seeing her strong and healthy, convinced me that it was a right choice. If the viral infection does come, there is always a very good MMS (Miracle Mineral Solution by Jim Humble) that should take care of it fast.

OK, there is another thing I would like to add. Most of the people who decide not to vaccinate their kids or themselves, usually do a long homestudy about vaccinations (like myself). We put on a scale cons and pros and see how much we can stretch. The most important information I found comes down to the food we intake. If a child or an adult takes proper nutritional food, there is hardly a chance for a virus to make a significant damage to the body.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 3:23:06 AM PST
Intrepid says:
Why don't you look into whether there have been scientific studies proving that vaccines cause "asthma, allergies, diabetes, autism, autoimmune disorders". They do not. Not even a causal link with autism. Any look at these must factor in the rate of illness in the native population. It varies with county as well as ethnicity. Example: 50% higher risk than others for Hispanic kids for diabetes.

On the other hand, look into what can sometimes occur if the child develops mumps (diabetes, sterility), measles (encephalitis), rubella (blindness), or chickenpox (shingles, encephalitis). The rates are thankfully low, but if your child has it then you live with that.

Vaccines also work best if the group of kids are mostly immunized. It is what you do for the group not just your own kids. If you do not trust the multivalent vaccines, you can pay extra for individual ones.

Please do your own research. Work with your pediatrician. If you don't trust a private one, go to one who does not make a penny more whether they immunize your child or not. It is too important to leave to old wives tales, speculation, junk science, or even advice here on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 6:32:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2008 6:51:17 AM PST
Lesli D. says:
Thanks intrepid, but i'm only interested in personal experiences here. Pro-vaccine folks need not respond unless you have personal stories that relate to exceptional health and lack of illness and disease. And btw, vaccinating in itself has risks that are real as well. This question isn't meant to be a forum of pro vs. anti vaccine. Just personal stories of good health- or those non-vaccinated in poor health. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 7:24:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2008 7:27:21 AM PST
N. Morris says:
If your looking for problems with vaccines you'll probably find them, only because people with latent diseases blame them on the vaccine. It's much easier to blame something aside from genetics and risk factors that people feel responsible for. If someone gets the disease that the vaccine is trying to cure however, then that is a cause and effect relationship and should the vaccine should be blamed. Some of the earlier versions of the current vaccines did in fact have this problem, the viruses with this risk are called Live Attenuated Virus Vaccines.. However, this risk is nearly non existent in current vaccines. If you are considering not giving your children vaccines I would look for news articles on outbreaks of Diphtheria, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Pertussis in high schools and grade schools. Outbreaks of preventable diseases are fairly common.

If many people you know are not giving vaccines to their children as well you should consider giving your children vaccines much more than other people. Many people without vaccines do just fine because they can rely on decreased likely hood of exposure by a principle called Heard Immunity. If you don't have the shield of people with immunity to a particular disease your chances of getting the disease can increase 50-100 percent per person without vaccination.

With a degree in the subject, I can tell you that the risks of vaccines which are recommended are much less than the risks of exposure to diseases that they protect against. DTP, MMR, and HepB should be taken because the consequences of the diseases are very serious.

Also, A child who has not received immunizations will in no way have a stronger immune system than a child with vaccinations. Giving a vaccine causes an increase in the number of immune cells and an increase in the number of disease specific antibodies available for the immune system to use.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 7:50:22 AM PST
Lesli D. says:
Thanks for the education N. Morris, but I am only interested in hearing personal stories of good or bad health among non vaccinated folks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 8:50:33 AM PST
Calizsto says:
I have a 4 year old son who is in terrific health. He has never had a vaccine. After doing my own research, I chose not to vaccinate. My son does suffers from seasonal allergies just like his father. My step father now 72 years old was never vaccinated. He grew up in England where they had polio. He was lucky not to get it. He has one of the strongest immune systems of anyone I know. I think it is helpful to ask elderly people about there experiences. They didn't have vaccines when they were born so they got disease and immunity the natural way.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 9:44:11 AM PST
N. Morris says:
I had a female friend in college who didn't receive her Hepatitis Vaccine and was infected by a food source, because the chef didn't take proper precautions to prevent the diseases transmission. She has had chronic liver disease and an increase chance of cancer of the liver. Luckily she wasn't one of the small percent who die within a week of contracting the disease. It is very possible her disease will last her entire life.
Most people will attribute a preventable disease to other things, so it will be hard to find people taking responsibility for not taking the precautions.
I strongly believe that you should evaluate what vaccines you use, however deciding not to use vaccines altogether would be like not taking antibiotics because aspirin can kill you. There are many out their that are ineffective and can have terrible side effects such as the vaccine for bubonic plague. However if your at high risk of contracting the disease from squirrels in the south US, then it's better than the 80 percent mortality rate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 9:47:57 AM PST
Lesli,

Our two-year-old and four-year-old are both in great health, and neither one is vaccinated. They pick up the usual colds, but clear them off rapidly.

On a related note, we also don't give them cow's milk (see the other recent health forum article on that one). That will also help to reduce their odds of developing allergies, diabetes, etc. Cow's milk and vaccines share (at least) one major problem - the introduction of foreign species proteins directly into the bloodstream. If you can avoid that, your immune system will thank you for it!

Steve

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 10:07:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2008 10:07:48 AM PST
Peregrin says:
My children have never been vaccinated. They are 10, 7, and 3, and are all in good health (occasional colds and mild flu, but nothing serious).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 10:28:12 AM PST
N. Morris says:
Do you know what also introduces foreign substances into your blood stream? Brushing your teeth (introduces bacteria directly into your capillaries), Eating, Diseases...
I'm not attempting to be confrontational.. but if you can identify a particular substance and a mechanism of this process, it would be worth considering. However, these conclusions seem like unsupportable theories. When a foreign substance enters your blood it is quickly cleared and broken down or utilized by the cells of your body.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 11:01:09 AM PST
Brie says:
I am 33 years old, fully vaccinated, and in great health. I have no seasonal allergies and no food allergies, no asthma, no autism, and no autoimmune disorders. I get maybe one cold a season. But most importantly, I am healthy today because I did not get mumps, measles, or polio as a child because I and the vast majority of other children of my generation received vaccines against these and other life-threatening illnesses.

Vaccines prevent serious diseases, and parents who write in saying that their kids are doing great without vaccines don't realize that that's the case because the vast majority of kids DO receive vaccines. But give this crazy (and TOTALLY scientifically UNSUPPORTED) trend of not vaccinating your kids time, and you'll start to see the return of all the worst diseases of childhoods past. Asthma and allergies (which have NEVER been shown to be connected to vaccines) are NOTHING compared to polio and smallpox.

By the way... for the person who suggested talking to old-timers about their health in unvaccinated times, you might also ask them to tell you about friends and family members crippled by polio, deafened by mumps, or killed by pneumonia, whooping cough, or meningitis.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 11:20:46 AM PST
Sorry Doc but look up the side effects of such vaccines given. I know of several people that had serious side effects long term from such shots. The fact is if you live a clean area, not in the third world area full of filth and outdoor plumbing, then the risk of the vaccines become questionable. Studies show diseases rates falling when the clean up happens, not from giving shots. Today shots are given to kids (multiple shots, under age 2, not looking at the child's health) can be immune challenge resulting in other conditions. Why is it okay per Merck's Manuel to give DPT shot to under 7 age, but not older? Why post vaccine side effects like Gullian Barr? Why people still get sick even after the vaccine given? Why can't you sue the company that makes them? Why US government has a money fund to handle such vaccine related problems if they are so safe?

My son is vaccine free by personal choice, age 13 without issues except occasional cold (which lasts much less time then us vaccine people). No other health problems to report. All I ask is for people to work with their Doc to really understand which vaccine (if any) to give base on risk for the area they live in.

Again it is a hygiene issue not lack of shots for disease.

MGL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 11:30:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2008 9:03:50 AM PST
S. Richey says:
I haven't had a vaccine since 1991 when I received MMR, Heb B, and a flu shot within a short period and developed a progressive neurological disease that was initially labeled MS--although there were no diagnostic markers for it, I have come to believe it was an encephalitis caused by the Rubella portion of the MMR booster. But it could have been any of the materials used in these shots. Those that are so vehemently pro-vaccine should do some more research and use some critical thinking. The vaccines that we were exposed to in the 60's were known to contain leukemia viruses, SV40, and other contaminants. The ill effects of these vaccines (and current ones down the road) may start showing up as we enter our 50's and start dying of cancer or suffering immune disorders. The attitude of "I was vaccinated and I turned out ok" only makes sense if you look at disease accumulation and mortality over a lifetime. The person who said that vaccines boosted the immune system overall does not understand the complexity of the immune system--it is hypothesized by some experts that the vaccine only activates one aspect of the immune system, the TH1, and does not activate TH2, the other side which gives lasting lifetime immunity. You can't get lifelong immunity with a weak vaccine effect--why else would you need boosters? Outbreaks occurr all the time among the vaccinated. You can't have a "herd immunity" with a population of nearly 300 million-the viruses all remain alive and well somewhere in the population--vaccinated or not. The chickenpox vaccine is one of the most ridiculous ones-start to watch what happens when the vaccinated ones start hitting their 40's and suffering chickenpox because the weak vaccine effect didn't last a lietime. Bottom line, its poor science, its poor public health, and its a waste of healthcare dollars. There is no such thing as "junk science" all of science is manipulatable when you start looking at statistics and the corruption that occurs in drug companies and institutions.

I am not opposed to all vaccines at all stages of life, but rather support the ideas of Donald Miller, MD at the University of Washington. What we're looking for is a more reasonable and accountable system and schedule. Only physicians should administer vaccinations and only after doing a full examination to know the child's history and weaknesses. They should be reporting the effects-some estimate that MD's report only 10% of vaccine ill effects. The influenza vaccine is useless and is a waste of healthcare dollars when we should be fighting the real superbugs--MRSA.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 11:38:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2008 11:52:56 AM PST
D. Zahnle says:
Lesli,
You sound like a smart lady who has done her research. I have four boys. The 17 year old has OCD and would probably be diagnosed as having Asperger's if I had him evaluated for that. The 13 year old has Autism and all that entails... Both of these boys were fully vaccinated and were exposed to high levels of mercury, via Thimerosal, during that process. Mercury is still found in the majority of today's flu shots.

The 6 and 4 year olds were not vaccinated, as I had learned the hard way that vaccines are not 100% safe or effective, 100% of the time, for 100% of all children. These boys are perfectly healthy and are never ill, BUT they are not in the public school system, being exposed continually, either.

For what it is worth, my opinion is that for me and my kids, I would rather risk getting the disease than willfully inject a vaccine into our systems. And people, please, if you disagree with me, don't bother posting here to set me straight with your opinions...I have been studying this topic for more than 10 years and I hold fast in my opinion.

For a pro-choice website see www.nvic.org.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 12:25:04 PM PST
L. Casey says:
My daughter is 27 and has never had any vaccination shots. She is healthy and has 2 children of her own, one more on the way. She was not sick growing up, and is a healthy adult. She is not having her kids vaccinated. I think the risk are not worth taking. My sisters 2 boys are 17 and 19 and both are very healthy and have had no shots either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 12:47:52 PM PST
Jane Doe says:
Being that everyone is looking for personal stories only and not opinions I will share my story. My son has been vaccinated and he also like the children that aren't vaccinated has only had mild colds that disappear quickly. He is in great health and is extremely smart and happy. The only difference I can see between him and the non-vaccinated children is that if there is ever a disease outbreak....he will be protected.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 1:07:35 PM PST
D. Zahnle says:
Jane,
I am sure it is a comfort to believe that your son will be protected...but you must know that vaccines do not work 100% of the time! Please do the research on this. When there have been outbreaks of measles or whooping cough, some children that have been vaccinated for these diseases have STILL contracted the disease. A shocking wake-up call for their parents...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 1:31:54 PM PST
Jane Doe says:
D. Zahnle,
Yes I am aware they do not work 100% of the time but it gives me peace of mind knowing that he has a chance of being protected where as if the children who are not vaccinated do not have any protection. I am in no way looking to argue with anyone, I am just stating that my child has had no problems and that he has been vaccinated and I pray that he never will, however if god forbid he did, I would never even think twice about blaming it on vaccinations. The world is filled with toxins....I think we should start looking at that and not blame it on a shot that contains less mercury that is in high-mercury leveled fish. I wonder if any one who does not vaccinate their child still feeds them seafood? Or the other many foods that contain mercury. Everyone on here has talked about the research they have done that justifies not vaccinating their children...but that is because they are looking for it. I have also done my research and I have not found one reason not to vaccinate my child...but maybe that is because I am searching for reasons to vaccinate rather than reasons not to. Everyone is entitled to do what they believe is safe for their children so with saying that I do not put down anyone who doesn't vaccinate their children...because I am doing what I believe is safe for my child and I don't expect anyone to put me down.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 1:59:15 PM PST
C. Schwindt says:
My Child has never been vaccinated. He is five and has only been to the Dr. office twice in his life. He has never (knock on wood) had a ear ache, asthma, autoimmune disorders, autism.
I have been very blessed and stand by my decision to not get my child vaccinated.
Proud mother!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 2:07:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2008 2:07:53 PM PST
It all depends on what your child will be exposed to in the course of his/her childhood. It's possible to go without them, but that's a calculated risk a parent must take.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 3:12:53 PM PST
D. Zahnle says:
Jane,
I would not put anyone down for choosing to vaccinate their child, so I don't put you down. The point is that most people, I think, are unaware of the downside of vaccinations. Vaccinations are heavily promoted as being unequivocally of benefit to everyone. How many of us have been in the pediatrician's office with a cranky baby during a well-child visit? The nurse hands you a paper to sign that okays the vaccination. You may or may not read the fine print regarding side effects, etc. because you just want to get out of there as quickly as possible. Vaccinations are not 100% safe or effective, for 100% of kids, 100% of the time. There are definite risks involved which are downplayed by most every health practitioner out there. Most kids do just fine, thank God. But for those of us who have vaccine-injured children, well there is no turning back, there is no undoing the damage that has been done. I wish someone had warned me 17 years ago that there were dangers associated with routine childhood immunizations. I wish we had the Internet. I wish I could have known then what I know now. Then I could have made an informed decision. And that is the bottom line--to have informed consent, to not be pressured into something just because you have a nurse, impatient to get on with it, breathing down your neck. I didn't have the information I needed back then to make an informed decision, but parents today do. All I ask is that parents research and make an educated decision based on their situation. Do not be ignorant about the risks involved. Do not get all of your information from pro-vaccine websites. Seek out balanced information. I like www.nvic.org. I will not tell people they shouldn't vaccinate their kids because I know the good that has been done. But I will tell my own children that it is obvious that our specific gene pool does not do well when combined with the ingredients in vaccines. Research the ingredients found in vaccines and you may be surprised, disgusted and/or morally opposed to what you discover.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2008 1:43:41 AM PST
Intrepid says:
OK Personal experience: *Not vaccinating* for chickenpox in my family resulted in such severe chickenpox that we really thought there was neurologic damage and behavioral changes that were truly heartbreaking. The first months following chickenpox were simply harrowing. A what have we done feeling. If there was residual effect many months later, it seemed much more minimal (thank G_d) - but we will never know.

Please avoid "junk science" plea: Remember that such an anecdotal thread will be biased. Your sample will not capture all the cases (possibly 99%) where nothing happened aside from good health BECAUSE the child did get vaccines. It is hard to count the protected children who escaped measles encephalitis - because they never got measles thanks to a vaccine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2008 1:52:11 AM PST
Intrepid says:
The effect you describe appears true to a point. Persons who grew up in more primitive conditions amidst dirtier environments do have exposure to more germs. It sometimes is a good thing in terms of immunity. Sometimes bad in terms of late outcomes.

Mononucleosis is such an example: white kids who get it early have mild reactions if exposed later to mono aka "the kissing disease". Other kids world wide are not so lucky. African kids may get Burkett's Lymphoma and Asian kids may later get Nasophrarygeal cancer...all from Mononucleosis.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 291 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  817
Total posts:  7258
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2008
Latest post:  May 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 42 customers

Search Customer Discussions