Customer Discussions > Health forum

AA pros and cons, what do you like? not like? does it work for you?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 13, 2012 7:42:35 AM PDT
Jacquelyn says:
One alcoholic to another you don't have to say a word. You know. An alcoholic trying to explain ''it'' to a non alcoholic - there are not enough words to make them understand. That is why you have such extreme attitudes about AA.

AA meetings can be either very theraputic or very depressing. I go to the ones that help me. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for a great doctor and the rooms of AA. I am now over 28 years clean and sober and an asset to my community and a good human being now.

Rehabs teach people about what alcohol (and drugs) does to the mind and body. The right AA teaches people how to live without alcohol and drugs and become ''human'' again. It has helped millions of people so far and in spite of what non alcoholics rant about it, AA has saved millions of people from a slow and disgusting death.

Many people hate AA because they find they can't control the alcoholic once they get sober! That really upsets them he he he.. Sorry but I won't put up with the BS again!

Like the song says: ''I can see clearly now the pain has gone''

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 6:21:58 AM PDT
Potty Mouth is something they teach as well as the 13th Step at AA.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 8:56:24 PM PDT
It makes annoyed to read people talk crap on AA like they know it...the thing is that I,among many, cannot "just stop drinking". Why? Because I'm a addicted to alcohol and I don't know how to cope with life without it. That's it plain and simple. And to those who say AA is a cult..well either you've never been to a meeting or just like to have something to hate. Personally, AA keeps me sober because of the fellowship, the 12 steps, and the love I get from the people in the program with me. Until you experience what AA really is firsthand then you have no business being on this thread and talking shit.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 9:48:25 AM PDT
allredah says:
I agree, Matt. some of the meetings are the same old people who stopped drinking 30 years ago and keep saying the same old thing. I try to seek new and different meetings and vary them just for that reason. also find a couple people who you really identify with and call and talk a couple times a week instead of actual meetings off and on. at least that's what I'm doing.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 9:43:38 AM PDT
allredah says:
Naudia, I used to listen for differences too because I was really trying to convince myself that I was not really an alcoholic. but now I really listen for things that I identify with (most) and also feel lucky that I was not as bad as many in there. I too do not really like some of the meetings and people in them. they say "listen for similarities, and choose winners". you are unique and not just like anyone else in there and don't need to be. You are concerned with your own drinking pattern, or you certainly would not bother to be on this chat session today. find meetings that you do enjoy and avoid ones that bug you. that's what I do. and I do not smoke (hate it) don't' drink coffee (except a couple cups early am). but when I really listen and see and hear that many peoplf are very similar to me in many ways. I try to talk to them some and just listen.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 1:37:15 AM PDT
I found that before going to a meeting I didn't feel the need to have a drink, but afterwards-boy did I need one!

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 12:43:21 AM PDT
Matt Sidwell says:
Being of sound mind and body and having clarity are major pluses. Helping others has a noted positive effect as well. I could do without the repeated indoctrination now. The same people saying the same old story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 8:56:33 PM PST
ace™ says:
btw, when i got to the dexadrine ad, i was reminded of the allan sherman song, "pills"... which i can't seem to find on youtube, dammit, so here are the lyrics:

"There are pills that make you happy.
There are pills that make you blue.
There are pills to kill your streptococci.
There are pills to cure your cockeye too.
There are folks whose pills have made them healthy.
There are folks whose pills have cured their chills.
But the folks whose pills have made them wealthy
Are the folks who make all those pills.
(There are) Dexedrine and Miltown, to pick you up and let you down.
(happy) Or if you're sufferin', swallow a Bufferin.
(pills) Vitamin C's a pill for folks who shiver.
(sad) And there's a pill for Carter's little liver.
(pills) And if you're sleeping in the hospital, because you're ill,
(pills) Betcha the nurse will wake you up to take a sleeping pill.
There are pills for young folks and for old folks,
Each disease has got its remedy.
But no pill can cure the common cold, folks,
So if you sneeze, please don't sneeze on me.
Achoo!
Gesundheit."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 8:44:09 PM PST
ace™ says:
yes, corrine... those WERE the days... when coca cola actually contained cocaine (which was how it was named!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 8:43:19 PM PST
ace™ says:
would they really still be on the market if they did?

of course, it WOULD explain the addiction problem, wouldn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 7:52:00 PM PST
allredah says:
Well unless I'm mistaken, I have heard that cigarettes have a very mild cocaine derivative??

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 7:32:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2012 7:38:10 PM PST
"...still smoking when smoking is coke based."

Smoking is coke based? SWEET!

http://www.pharmacytechs.net/blog/old-school-medicine-ads

Ahhhhh... those were the days!!!

Initial post: Jan 25, 2012 2:53:42 PM PST
allredah says:
Your initial post: Jan 23, 2012 6:03:47 PM PST
allredah says:
The stories I hear in AA remind me of what I did, of what I don't want to ever do, and make me feel lucky that I did not go as far as many people did into real insanity or death. I listen for similarities and not differences. Alcoholics come in many different varieties and have many varied stories, many of which I really do not identify. what is important is that I made myself very unhappy and ill finally with my own habits with alcohol. AA is free, safe, positive, healthy, spiritual - but not religious - and makes me feel good. so why not?
Edit your post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
The stories I hear in AA remind me of what I did, of what I don't want to ever do, and make me feel lucky that I did not go as far as many people did into real insanity or death. I listen for similarities and not differences. Alcoholics come in many different varieties and have many varied stories, many of which I really do not identify. what is important is that I made myself very unhappy and ill finally with my own habits with alcohol. AA is free, safe, positive, healthy, spiritual - but not religious - and makes me feel good. so why not? Guidelines
Edit this post | Permalink
3 of 4 people think this post adds to the discussion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 12:14:32 AM PST
Adam Lewis says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Hide post again. (Show all unhelpful posts)]
Why I don't like is the pathetic people in AA ... I mean really if you want to stop drinking have some will power and just do it. No these people would rather sit around and make excuses than take action. Get a life already. I drank for over 20 years sometimes up to a gallon of tequila a night.... and just stopped one night... that's it. No big deal.

You replied with a later post
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse | Ignore this customerStop ignoring customer

0 of 6 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 4:13:25 AM PST
J. Carter says:
Holy crap, you're luck to be alive!! This is absolutely not something that anyone should ever do. Quitting any severe chemical dependency, cold turkey, has killed many many people. My mother almost died twice before she accepted that she had to ween herself off of alcohol. Some people need support. Good for you, that you're a one man army, but don't act like everyone else should just do what you did, because frankly, you did something very dangerous.
Reply to this post

2 of 2 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 8:44:47 AM PST
Shawn Clark says:
they preach you are powerless. thats what started the whole problem. people are in control and can stop doing ANYTHING if they really want to bad enough.

Reply to this post

0 of 3 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

Your post, in reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 10:08:45 AM PST
allredah says:
powerless over alcohol - after a couple drinks, unfortunately the chemical takes over and the person loses the ability to resist another drink. that is what alcoholism is. However, I agree with you - we are not powerless to refuse the FIRST drink and that is what the program stresses. the answer lays in not taking the FIRST drink and remembering NOT to do that. the temptation can be huge to say "oh I'll just have one", and that is where AA helps to reinforce the thinking to remember not to do that and remember how everytime the alcoholic again overdoes it not meaning to. So AA actually teaches people that they ARE NOT POWERLESS over taking that first drink.
Edit your post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
powerless over alcohol - after a couple drinks, unfortunately the chemical takes over and the person loses the ability to resist another drink. that is what alcoholism is. However, I agree with you - we are not powerless to refuse the FIRST drink and that is what the program stresses. the answer lays in not taking the FIRST drink and remembering NOT to do that. the temptation can be huge to say "oh I'll just have one", and that is where AA helps to reinforce the thinking to remember not to do that and remember how everytime the alcoholic again overdoes it not meaning to. So AA actually teaches people that they ARE NOT POWERLESS over taking that first drink. Guidelines
1 of 3 people think this post adds to the discussion.

Your post, in reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 10:30:13 AM PST
Last edited by you on Jan 24, 2012 10:31:30 AM PST
allredah says:
ADAM LEWIS; People in AA aren't sitting around making excuses - they are taking action and going to AA to improve themselves and get a healthy sober life. congrats to you for just stopping. just remember if you were drinking that much really and are still alive, your tolerance level is still growing - that "ism" thing - and when you pick up again, your ability to drink more quantity-wise will return swiftly. If you drink a gallon of liquor again, it could actually kill you.
Edit your post:
ADAM LEWIS; People in AA aren't sitting around making excuses - they are taking action and going to AA to improve themselves and get a healthy sober life. congrats to you for just stopping. just remember if you were drinking that much really and are still alive, your tolerance level is still growing - that "ism" thing - and when you pick up again, your ability to drink more quantity-wise will return swiftly. If you drink a gallon of liquor again, it could actually kill you. Guidelines
1 of 2 people think this post adds to the discussion.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 7:33:07 AM PST
Keith says:
@Adam Lewis,

Some people can stop drinking just cold turkey; most alcoholics cannot. There is a complex association of social, psychological, physiological, and biological factors that account for alcoholism, and all of those factors need to be taken into consideration and addressed for an alcoholic to find liberation and lasting healing. To tell them to suck it up and rely on will power is ignorant. The physiological aspect of addiction alone usually overrides and prevents making an alternative choice.

Yes, will power is critical; people can make choices, and too often we give in to the wrong choices too easily. But that is the nature of being human, and it is about providing the right information and resources in order to strengthen and inspire our ability to choose differently. Alcoholics do not need to be coddled, but neither do they need to be condemned as weak-willed and lazy.

I think AA is good, but I think it focuses too much on the psychological and social aspects of alcoholism and neglects to address and educate its members about the very real (and often determinative) physiological and biological dimensions of the disorder. Morever, there is no exploration concerning the role nutrition might play in rehabilitation and therapy.

Still, it is better than nothing, and the ideas of accountability and community it promotes are crucial.

Reply to this post

1 of 1 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

Your post, in reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 2:50:15 PM PST
allredah says:
KEITH - boy do I agree. I would really like to see more info handed down or passed out at AA meetings about the tie with nutrition etc. I see alcoholics drinking coffee by the gallon, still smoking when smoking is coke based. I kind of got addicted to coffee after quitting the beer, and my blood sugar really got screwed up. I really wonder how some of them stay sober eating sugar and caffein and smoking, but they do.
Edit your post:
KEITH - boy do I agree. I would really like to see more info handed down or passed out at AA meetings about the tie with nutrition etc. I see alcoholics drinking coffee by the gallon, still smoking when smoking is coke based. I kind of got addicted to coffee after quitting the beer, and my blood sugar really got screwed up. I really wonder how some of them stay sober eating sugar and caffein and smoking, but they do. Guidelines
Your reply to cdAuthorNamePlaceholder's post:

You are already tracking this discussion.
Receive e-mail when new posts are made
Guidelines
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Jan 25, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions