mental health

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 3, 2011 1:27:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2011 2:18:35 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
wasn't there a forum for that?

anyways, the question is;

is there a name/condition for when a person takes what someone else says and twists it into something else?

I'll give an example;

a few yrs back, a group of us at work decide to have a drink together at a local watering hole by the name of kelseys road house on a friday after work.

so there are like 4 or 5 guys just chit chatting, nothing real serious, nobody is drunk, just having a cpl beers and talking about whatever, and we all go on our merry way with nothing in particular sticking out to remember.

come monday at work, there is a poo storm, one of the guys from friday tells the wife of another attendee, that he was bad rapping his wife to all of us at the roadhouse when no such thing happened! we were puzzled by the claim ans were wondering what was wrong with rudy.

I got to figure, beside calling someone like that a trouble maker, they must have a mental or medical condition that would make them imagine something that wasn't said, or putting it another way, misread/mishear something. [[ besides who would want to knowingly stir up trouble in a marriage ]] and the person who started it was a homosexual, so he had no interest in the mans wife.

is this a "condition", that has a name or am I making something out of nothing? because that is very common or normal....[ not to me ] but perhaps the rest of you folks it may be, I dunno, that's why I'm asking.

I had another co-worker experience like this, but instead of just witnessing it, this guy was bending the supervisors ear about me, and my life was miserable for a while til the supervisor called a truce [ and she never told me why ]....[ the guy was referred to by others that knew him, as section 8.]

I never knew that, nor knew it was him til after our group split up to other areas, then someone told me because they figured I wouldn't drive that far outta my way to confront him, and he was right.

what the heck is it that makes folks flip like that?

I know I can't be the only one who experienced this or heard about it. I just want to know if it's a mental condition or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 5:06:17 PM PDT
Craig says:
Jealousy?

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 5:46:02 PM PDT
Teresf says:
People who have to have drama in their life. That is what it reminds me of. There are a lot of people out there that have to cause and make drama constantly. I hate drama. Life has enough of it without somebody creating it...

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 7:17:24 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
There was a time when a village's malicious gossips and scolds spent a few days in stocks in the public square. Now we just label, medicate and "treat" them at great expense. Guess whose interests THAT serves.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 7:32:58 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
so your saying, their hearing isn't the issue, it's something else?!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 7:39:43 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
drama queens.....he was, a drama queen.

not sure that is it or not....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 7:41:25 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
so, you're saying there's one in every crowd eh? like a horses patoot in every bar etc?! and just forget about him?

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 7:55:53 AM PDT
Sounds like a narcist who is looking for attention,lots of these people screw up others lives.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011 8:58:53 AM PDT
ColdShot says:
I'm thinking schizophrenic, for lack of a better, more exact term.

I don't think I'll ever find out for sure.....but I got a new neighbor,
bragging he can sit in a biker bar [ like who cares? ]
"and drink with bikers without any trouble, til a woman comes in"
his words, not mine. I guess I'm supposed to be impresed by that or something
and I couldn't care less, but the part "til a woman comes in"
has me wondering what exactly does that mean!?

I don't know what to make of him, but I'm keeping him at arms length.

thx for chiming in davo....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011 4:33:42 PM PDT
directions says:
Manipulative behavior can be a part of some psychiatric disabilities but it depends on the extent and what else is happening in a person's life. Some people for example can be narcissistic but narcissistic personality disorder is a specific condition that is pervasive in a person's life and completely disrupts their functioning. Given that I have schizoaffective disorder I don't believe that would apply as the person does not sound psychotic. I myself have looked for the mental health forums and I believe there is an ongoing one on depression but the one on schizophrenia was deleted and instead forums that are specific to authors of books on the subject have replaced it.
Best thing I can say for people who are emotional manipulative is not to react to them and find a way to distance yourself from them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011 7:37:02 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
pretty good perception .....he like starting fights too!.....bragging about taking on 6 cops or something...yeah, that's exactly what I've done, distance myself.

he has strong opinions, and I knew he was getting upset with me a little.
he also repeated himself alot, and I just knew it was time to keep him at arms length.

in his defense, he did suffer an injury, he got covered with portland cement dust
and he's in fear of not getting better and he is self employed, so he is def stressed out.

but prior to that, I'm not gonna quote chapter and verse but he was still annoying....lol
but he just got wayyyyyy more sensitive after the accident and after some girl he was trying to
help get clean, stole his truck and money and phone and it was very dramatic for him prior to getting the dusting
at a home center, so there's alot going on.

he admitted his family was dysfunctional and they don't get along too well, he's about 50
so, I kinda sympathize to a point, but I doubt we'll have much to say to each other.
I'm better off keeping away from him and avoiding contact.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 12:18:23 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 20, 2012 12:19:39 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 12:31:10 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 20, 2012 12:37:46 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 1:26:34 PM PST
ColdShot says:
I got a new one.

last year, mom got a new neighbor....a landscaper

dunno whats up with her...yes a she....apparently

she agreed to put cucumbers in for the landlord....but she put in tomatoes!!!
she agreed to do moms neighbors yard, but put in different stuff than she agreed to!
she agreed to cut someones lawn and never did...later, the same person asked her to do other work and she didn't show for that either!

I know all of that is true....but it makes no sense...why would someone kill their own business?

I once had an insurance agent who kept changing my coverage to what he thought it should be...needless to say, he lost my business.

in either case, it is self destructive behavior.
I just can't figure out why a landscaper would just DO something different than what the customer wanted....I don't get it.

any thoughts?
the lady is an independent, freelance, no brick and mortar
she just moved out

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 2:01:22 AM PST
OldAmazonian says:
"Self destructive" is too neat a label. Mistakes can easily be made in such things through miscommunication. People can also become so exhausted by their work that they just can't continue, or forget to do what is asked, or involuntarily fall asleep on the job - perhaps in hazardous circumstances. Some can also do what they think will pleasantly surprise their employers yet achieve just the opposite. Employers can also give ingeniously vague or elaborate instructions that - when followed to the letter - result in catastrophe. Been there, seen all that. In the words of a wit whose name I forget, the problem with making things foolproof is that fools can be surprisingly ingenious. And aren't we all fools, in fact?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 7:46:35 PM PST
ColdShot says:
I don't think it too neat...

nothing neat about shooting yourself in your own foot....i.e. losing your income .

I can understand an insurance agent....trying to push a product PRIOR to signing

but not after

and I don't think the landscaper "made a mistake" [ in her mind ] but unhappy former customers say otherwise

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 8:20:33 AM PST
This doesn't sound like a mental illness to me at all. It sounds like the person twists what people say in his head, and maybe he has some sort of motive for doing that. Anybody can have a personality problem, and it doesn't mean they have a mental illness. At the same time, if you really do hear people saying things that they are not saying, and it happens to you a lot, you might be psychotic. I have Schizoaffective Disorder and much experience with this happening to me before, but it is a real, legitimate problem that you can find in many people with psychosis, and it is not just something that would occur once or be related to the person's personality. If it is real psychosis the person is living in a hellish nightmare, and they would deserve sympathy and understanding from you rather than disgust or outrage. But to me this does not sound like a case of psychosis, as you described the situation.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 11:15:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2012 11:16:12 AM PST
ColdShot says:
which case are you referring to?

it would help if you used the [[ reply to this post link ]] at the bottom of the comment you are addressing

so others can follow whose comment you are responding to.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 12:42:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2012 12:44:55 PM PST
Hot hands says:
Read the book, "The Sociopath Next Door"...she says 1 out of every 25 people is a sociopath...not all of them serial killers, but many that just like to create drama and watch the fallout for their own amusement and to create the feeling of power and control over others...anyone that creates drama like that...I'd question their mental health...and stay as far away from them as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 7:25:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2012 7:27:26 PM PST
ColdShot says:
lol

that just about sums up the guy I know

I guess some people have the nack for that....like a gossip girl episode

Appreciate the heads up on the book!

:-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Vitamins vs Whole Foods 546 57 minutes ago
What would happen if we stopped giving vaccines? 7026 2 hours ago
MONSANTO 6871 3 hours ago
Plantar Fasciitis 500 6 hours ago
Beware of Energy Drinks! 50 23 hours ago
Help! I'm exhausted and have no energy to do much. 1380 1 day ago
Infant circumcision 3951 1 day ago
Rife Machine Usuage 3570 2 days ago
What is best for Neuropathy feet pain. 5 2 days ago
foot drop or drop foot 20 4 days ago
vibrational healing 0 6 days ago
PENETREX 0 7 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Aug 3, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions