Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Health forum

Phrases that drive you nuts!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2676-2700 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 10:45:31 AM PDT
Jinglebts says:
AMPatterson: I remember "word", but don't recall the context and it's driving me a bit batty. Can you tell me?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 4:59:08 PM PDT
rishtey yana says:
HOLY COW!!! you go A.M.Patterson!!! you certainly hit on quite a few made me laugh in the process!!
how about these gems?
"suit up"
"goodness" who talks like that anymore? I heard a girl younger than me sayin goodness in responce to something, the silence that followed that was deafening!☺

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 6:38:04 PM PDT
How cool is that?!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 7:55:22 PM PDT
Kathy E. says:
Wait a minute..I know one I hear from a certain news caster on CNN..Take it with a box of salt..brother

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 8:02:46 PM PDT
Sue says:
Verbal pause drives me nuts:

"you know" ... NO I DON 'T KNOW!

"um" ... Um - Um - Um - get a recorder and try to listen to yourself say um after every sentence!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 8:24:53 PM PDT
Kathy E:

I've always heard it as "take it with a grain of salt".

Chuck

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 12:32:06 AM PDT
Lappieat94 says:
Your teachers are not... is correct. You're teachers would read You are teachers.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 9:40:06 AM PDT
WTF ...Do we really need this to talk

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 10:11:53 AM PDT
NiteOOwl says:
Continue on.
Deja vu all over again.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 10:56:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 11:00:11 AM PDT
I absolutely abhor:

food for thought
couch potato
tickle the ivories
anything with the word soak in it
on the same page
think outside the box - sick of it
shut up - too rude
closure - sounds callously dismissive
I don't like baby bump either.

I hate it when some pompous type says, "s/he / they have lives" (like you don't).

I hate WTF - I am sick of, BEYOND sick of the f word
I don't like SOL - what's excrement got to do with it? Just say SADLY out of luck. That makes sense!

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 11:43:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 11:45:28 AM PDT
MK Hill says:
I think some slang carries over from the past century and has become a permanent part of our language. Newer urban hip blurbs that spill over from today's pop culture are oratory garbage equivalent to litter in news reports, sitcoms, everyday conversation and even blurted out by the POTUS. Think of the colloquialisms you have heard since you were born as were used by your parents and everyone else of their generation. Think back on the ones used by your grandparents or great grandparents - those are classics that should be revived to bring some sanity to our present society.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 1:02:14 PM PDT
BeatleBangs1964:

"anything with the word soak in it". Would you mind to elaborate? I don't get it.

Chuck

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 1:07:35 PM PDT
There is only one I can think of off hand:

Oh snap!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 1:12:31 PM PDT
do you live in NC by any chance....LOL. I seen a lot of folks that say them sayin's around here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 2:36:43 PM PDT
I agree. Most young people are not familiar with these all tried and true sayings, so they are brand new to them and they add so much to a story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 2:38:47 PM PDT
I hate that. It adds nothing to any conversation or story. Just stupid. There are so many beautiful words and even angry words that express confusion, why mess with it. It's not even shocking anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 2:39:28 PM PDT
Became overused quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 3:28:51 PM PDT
Josh says:
HAHA Being networking litterate, my response to "ping me" would be, "What TTL do you want on that sync packet?"

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 3:46:00 PM PDT
CrewCut says:
My ass and your face.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 3:50:46 PM PDT
FLbeachbum says:
"Going forward"... (often used by financial advisors when they want you to overlook their previous lousy advice).

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 6:17:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 29, 2012 9:50:25 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 7:02:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 7:03:41 PM PDT
MK Hill says:
"That being said" is a run-on phrase and should be shortened to "That said". Do people not attend school any longer? I thought it to be mandatory in the USA since education is public and free. I remember grammar being an important part of elementary school as I struggled with some of it. I overcame that block when in HS and on into university. I take for granted grading has been eliminated; if a student couldn't earn passing grades when I was in elementary school that student was held back. Does that occur these days or are all students merely passed along to keep school administrators/government sated?

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:31:41 PM PDT
Swaggy K says:
1. Sounds like a plan
2. Is that fair?
3. really?
4. We're pregnant
5. lets rock and roll

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 7:34:09 PM PDT
Swaggy K says:
lol hahahaha good one

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:49:50 PM PDT
MK Hill says:
We're pregnant is something I could never grasp. We means one or more. How can a man say that and mean it? I think it has something to do with the fact men are becoming metrosexual. Do women hate masculine guys who act like men? Shaving one's face is bad enough but, why do guys shave their bodies of hair? Being clean is one thing but let's keep it real, guys. We are men; act like it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  1023
Total posts:  3240
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 36 customers

Search Customer Discussions