Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Health forum

Phrases that drive you nuts!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2726-2750 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 20, 2012 1:43:06 PM PDT
PM says:
Oops - forgot one. I hate when waiters take your empty plate and comment "you didn't like that at all, did you?"

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 1:48:52 PM PDT
PM says:
Another one...

"Fabulous" used in just about every sentence (my sister does that)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:36:20 PM PDT
Dodge Dart

My, you ARE literal aren't you? ;-`) (tongue in cheek)

And I HATE the beach too!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:42:15 PM PDT
I hate it when people say "Delish!" It is so contrived and sounds like they are trying to sound cool. (But they do not. They sound academically challenged to me.)
I am also fed up with EVERY cooking show featuring the cliche and classically scripted "Toast" with embarassed guests tenatively clinking their glasses as they sink into their chairs looking like they want to disappear from it all; obviously embarrassed at being part of such contrivance.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 5:00:22 PM PDT
I'm with you on all of the above, PM.

On a related note to feigned sympathy, I hate with the heat of infinity suns "temper temper." That is mocking and is sure to cause anger to escalate 100% of the time.

I am sick of "shout out."

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 11:20:22 PM PDT
"What did he/she mean by that?"

Why can't people simply accept what is said as what is meant?

Chuck

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 6:08:09 AM PDT
Loo temper temper is an old one and I think it's suppose to aggravate.
Your reply to Cherley Grogg's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 7:02:10 AM PDT
PM says:
I hate when someone talks to you using "okay?" after every sentence. It's like they feel you are an idiot and they are talking way over your head, so they need to assert that you are comprehending their story, explanation, description or directions each step of the way. Annoying as all hell.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 7:27:18 AM PDT
PM says:
Some overused cooking show terms/phrases that annoy me...

"Yummo!!" (Rachel Ray)
"E.V.O.O." (Rachel Ray / Extra-virgin olive oil)
"Bam!!" (Emeril Lagasee)
"Plate it up" (TV chef speak)
"Through the magic of television" (TV chef speak as they pull a finished version of what they are demo-ing out of the oven)
"Guys" (what the Asian chef calls his audience)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 2:03:07 PM PDT
J. W. Scales says:
PM--please don't forget "ya Know" which consitutes about 40% of the post game inverviews after any sporting event.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 2:07:57 PM PDT
Marissa says:
"At the end of the day"

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 8:27:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2012 8:29:57 AM PDT
Many of us hate "at the end of the day" and "like" used as a now sorry word filler.

jipsii, I think "delish" sounds academically challenged as well. You just expressed my distaste (no pun intended) for that stupid little abbrevation.

"No prob" - just say problem. Shortening it to prob sounds silly, sorry.

"to turn over a new leaf" really irks me. It sounds judgmental.

I absolutely ABHOR "a good cry." I have an extremely adverse reaction to that one. I hate to cry more than anything in the world and to me personally, crying is everything BUT good. I also don't like it when some verbs such as this one are prefaced with "a" and converted into noun form, e.g. "he went off for a smoke" instead of "he went off to smoke."

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 8:33:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2012 8:34:45 AM PDT
Weird expressions - they don't bother me, but I just think they sound nonsensical.

From a bygone era:

Land sakes
Landogoshen - I know of places that have towns named Goshen.
Heavens to Betsy - who is Betsy?
The cat's pajamas - what is so great about some weirdo putting pajamas on a cat? I never got that one.
23 skiddoo - I said on an earlier post that that one makes absolutely no sense to me

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 11:02:33 PM PDT
AJA says:
"My bad" The most insincere, most flippant, most hollow phrase in the English language

"It's to die for" Really? Then why are you still breathing?

"Win-win situation" Someone who says this to me thinks I'm a sucker

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:05:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 8:07:18 AM PDT
I don't like "to die for either."

When I was a child, I hated "cross my heart and hope to die" because I couldn't see why one would hope to die.

I just HATE "da bomb." I think it sounds thuggy and coarse. On one discussion board I participated in, there was a member who kissed up to the webmaster, which REALLY turned my stomach. I can't stand sycophantic behavior. This member used this for a screen name "Terri cdb" (not the member's real name) and explained that "cdb" stood for "Craig's da bomb" (Craig is not the webmaster's real name). I really didn't like that.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 3:03:39 PM PDT
Janran says:
Over used to Ad nauseam

1) At the end of the Day
2) Character's telephone numbers in movies and tv always start with 555 - how uncreative and nauseating

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 4:14:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 4:15:10 PM PDT
I think we ALL are sick of "at the end of the day." As for the 555 telephone exchange prefix, that was done so as not to give a REAL prefix and have people placing calls to imaginary phone numbers. The 555 precludes that.

Food related ones that I hate:

couch potato (that one irks me SO much)
cut the mustard
food for thought
nuts and oh nuts
proof is in the pudding
wake up and smell the coffee (I can't stand that one)

And I REALLY hate simmer down. That one belongs in the toilet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 4:20:39 PM PDT
Hello J. Westwind--In your first line you used one of the most annoying expressions to me! "Here's" instead of "Here are " followed by a plural noun.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 4:22:59 PM PDT
Jinglebts says:
BB: Aha! It's "The proof of the pudding is in the eating"!!! Does no one know that? That "proof in pudding" makes no sense? Like saying "I could care less"??

You and me, BB. We belong together!

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:22:06 PM PDT
just saying...

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 9:33:13 PM PDT
"One YEAR'S old" instead of the correct one year old.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 10:29:11 PM PDT
Most of the time, the below comments are used as filler & self-bloating commentary by ALL guests on ALL talk shows, around the radio dial....

"What most people don't realize is...... " (only they do, and, the rest of us are dummies)
"What most Americans don't know is"............
"What most people don't think about is"..........

and then there's... "No Worries" & "It is what it is"....now that just "chaps my hide"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 11:38:47 PM PDT
MatterOfFact says:
Actually there is a difference between 'price' and 'price point'

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 4:14:26 PM PDT
I know someone who is fond of saying "things you know nothing about" to people which I think is just plain rude.

Street slang such as calling someone's home a crib and others homey and dog. I don't like those atall.

Bad grammar is, to use another term I hate an "earworm."

Bookworm, earworm - I don't like those either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 4:24:30 PM PDT
Jinglebts says:
MatterOfFact: What's the difference??? Isn't price just ... price?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  1023
Total posts:  3240
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 36 customers

Search Customer Discussions