Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Health forum

Phrases that drive you nuts!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2826-2850 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 4:42:17 PM PDT
Jinglebts says:
Plant Lover: The statement "God doesn't give you more than you can handle" is akin to "What doesn't kill you makes you better".
Both are smug & more to the point, prevent further investigation into the REAL matter, which of course, ppl who say those two things can't or don't care about enough to do.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 4:44:57 PM PDT
Jinglebts says:
"Money isn't everything"
I hate that statement. Try growing up poor as I did and you'll realize that without a little cash in hand, you'd be dead.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 7:40:35 PM PDT
I don't like "foodie," "hoodie," "bridezilla" and agree that they are stupid and sound childish to the nth degree.

I, too hate "oh snap" and "oh crap." I don't like fecal expressions.

And the thought of the silent w in sword being included in the vocal utterance - Cringe City! Same as when people pronounce the what should be silent t in often.

I don't like "soft pedal" and that one makes me flinch.

I'm with Plant Lover on these atrocities: "3) "God doesn't give you more than you can handle"
Because we've gone through it doesn't mean we've handled it successfully.

4) "God permitting"
After you tell someone something, e.g. good night, and they make this reply."

Add this one to the mix - I've moaned many times about "thinking to oneself," as in "I thought to myself." Who ELSE am I going to think to, my favorite Beatle? Who other than yourself can you think to? Just say"I/You/She/He/They thought" and omit the to ____self. Who in the blue hell other than yourself can you think to? That one REALLY irks the heck out of me!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 9:27:28 PM PDT
What are some others? I find this interesting.

A bunch of idiots?????

;->

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 5:43:30 AM PDT
Twila says:
Just sayin
My bad!
People that use the word sale incorrectly. "I'm going to sale my car" when it should be "I'm going to sell my car."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 12:52:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2012 1:08:02 PM PDT
Esther696 says:
@ Jinglebts: I was just reading through some old ones and saw this as one of your pet peeves as well :))
I agree with your assessment. I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. Also, those responses are a 'subtle' way of saying, "suck it up," or "stop wallowing and get on with it."

'goody goody' instead of saying goodbye at the end of a phone conversation.
It just gets on my nerves. Where did it come from?

'It is what it is'
Ummm what is it?

'Reverse back'

And then there's 'Really?!' 'Seriously?!' that have become popular.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 2:31:15 PM PDT
Grow the economy

Anyways

Give me a couple those

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 2:46:29 PM PDT
FretiCat says:
I just ran into something that I haven't seen so far (and, no, I'm NOT hoing to go back through all 114 pages of comments to see if it's been mentioned before).

This is using text message or tweet message abbreviations in speech or in situations where character limits are not an issue. It's downright stupid.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 6:49:52 PM PDT
Pampeliska says:
I think they have been all mentioned here before, but here is my list anyway

- the character on any TV show looks disapprovingly at another one, repeats what they just said and adds "Really? Really?" (or "Seriously?") ... please retire that one ... NOW!!
- "just sayin'"
- "let's give a big shout out to..."
- "no disrespect, but ..." followed by an insult
- "tha'ss wat'am tak'n 'bout"
- "no pain, no gain"
- "how cool iz dat?"
- "I had a blast" (there are other appealing words to describe good time, blast is not one of them)
- "when all is said and done" or "at the end of the day"
- "who would've thunk" instead of "thought"
- "anyway, my point is..."

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 6:55:11 PM PDT
FLbeachbum says:
"Who knew?"
"Not so much."

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 7:03:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2012 7:03:56 PM PDT
I hate "shout out" and am thoroughly sick of it.

I don't like "give it up for" because I think that sounds thuggy.

I add my aversion along with others who hate "suck it up;" "he/she/they have lives;" "snap out of it;" "closure" and any others of this ilk because I think they are smug and callous.

I'm with you on thesem Pampeliska:

- the character on any TV show looks disapprovingly at another one, repeats what they just said and adds "Really? Really?" (or "Seriously?") ... please retire that one ... NOW!!
- "just sayin'"
- "let's give a big shout out to..."
- "no disrespect, but ..." followed by an insult
- "tha'ss wat'am tak'n 'bout"
- "no pain, no gain"
- "how cool iz dat?"
- "I had a blast" (there are other appealing words to describe good time, blast is not one of them)
- "when all is said and done" or "at the end of the day"
- "who would've thunk" instead of "thought"
- "anyway, my point is..."

I think they sound crass and thuggy.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 10:28:46 PM PDT
A phrase that drives one nuts. Let's see.... How about every time our current president uses "I" when he should use "me." A HARVARD graduate should never make that mistake. Far too often, though, Obama says something like, "It was a wonderful trip for Michelle and I." How can one graduate from any Ivy League school without knowing that no important part of speech is ever in a prepositional phrase? I learned this lesson before I graduated from a public elementary school.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 11:45:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 11:55:49 AM PDT
Dubba Jaans says:
My favourites, that do not make any sense, when someone says to me -
1- "Just a second" or for phone call "Hold on for just a second"
by the time it is said 'the second' is over, which I say to myself with a laugh.

2- "Everything is at your fingertips." Websites that sell ladies' (or even for men)
wristlets, or wallets use this phrase. Of course everything is at your fingertips.
Anyone who puts a the essentials in a wristlet will hang the wristlet around the wrist
with the attached strap. Where else would such item be, at the bottom of a almost stuffed duffel bag??

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 12:07:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 12:07:25 PM PDT
Dubba Jaans says:
Another of my favorites
"What I think the problem is....."
I heard it some many times, that even I was saying it, which gave the
other person time to cut me off before I could say my point, idea, etc.
Now those six words are on the 'back burner' of my vocabulary.

D.J.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 1:50:16 PM PDT
PM says:
Don't know if anyone's mentioned this one yet - "Epic Fail".
As in Katy Perry's song..."Last Friday Night":

...Trying to connect the dots
Don't know what to tell my boss
Think the city towed my car
Chandelier is on the floor

Ripped my favorite party dress
Warrants out for my arrest
Think I need a ginger ale
That was such an epic fail...

I love that song, btw. Brings me back to my old college days, long before there was such a term as "epic fail"!!

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 2:24:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 2:45:16 PM PDT
Willco says:
I have the munchies.

It's genetic (implying there's nothing you can do to reverse health problems. The symptoms of Down's Syndrome have been proven to be HIGHLY reversible)

healthy food (if there was one, it would have to be healthy for every person on earth. Actually, human breast milk may qualify)

My doctor says (doctors have no idea what causes illness)

Do you think so? (No, I KNOW so)

Bye bye. (Why don't adults just say "Bye" to other adults and reserve "Bye Bye" when talking to infants and children?)

Do what feels right. (Many people are very much out of touch with their true feelings)

I dunno. (A common response to asking someone why they just did something)

Significant other.

Long story short.

It is what it is.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 2:38:37 PM PDT
Katalizator says:
Many of you may have not heard this term used by many Southerners. I HATE it. They pronounce it like "yunns". I guess it's supposed to mean multiple people.

Example: "How about yunns come over to my house for dinner". ARRGGHHHH!!

I always ask, "WTF is a yun?!".

Another one I can't stand is when people use the work "sick" in reference to something they like.

Example: "Hey man, you have to watch this new movie. It was so SICK!".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 2:43:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 2:44:51 PM PDT
FretiCat says:
"Actually, human breast milk may qualify."

I volunteer for testing this notion (provided I'm not required to deal with secondary sources).

"Why don't adults just say "Bye" to other adults and reserve "Bye Bye" when talking to infants and children?"

Because infants and very young children in the first stages of language acquisition (which is the period from birth to about six or seven years) start out by duplicating and reduplicating syllables as they learn them. Adults pick up this pattern and tend to reflect it when speaking to the very young. Adults also mimic other juvenile language patterns in speaking to children, including using a higher pitch to their voices. People who talk to their pets often do the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 2:49:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 2:50:36 PM PDT
Willco says:
P. Taterczynski: Very interesting about syllable reduplication. Thanks.

I do know that human breast milk contains all of the essential nutrients for the infant.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 8:43:58 PM PDT
I don't like the term "munchies" either.

I think "bye bye" should be reserved for infants and toddlers.

I don't like hearing an adult say "potty." Potties are for children just learning to use it.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 10:21:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 10:30:02 AM PDT
Pampeliska says:
Another one I have not heard in a while, but always irked me when I did was
"Takes one to know one" - ???

Also I came across a website that lists most overused movie cliches. I had to smile... anyone even remotely interested in movies will agree with those. Let me just reprint couple of them here:

"It's not what you think"
"Put the gun down."
"You don't have to do this"
"I was born ready."
"You had me at [blank]."
"How's that working out for you?"
"You go girl!"
"We've got company."

As an icing on the cake, there is also a video clip included, that's a mash-up of exactly 102 different shows and movies that contain probably most over-used movie phrase EVER (will you guess what it is?)
The number one most often used phrase in the movies

"You just don't get it, do you?"

(the website is http://www.inquisitr.com/235114/the-most-overused-cliche-in-the-movies-is-video/)

:) and then of course, there was the beloved Stark Trek grump, Dr. McCoy with his "He is DEAD, Jim" :)))

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 10:41:10 AM PDT
AJA says:
"Dude"

Especially when it's a youngster addressing an adult, or someone you don't know speaking to you.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 10:41:32 AM PDT
Kitty says:
LOL I HATE the "it is what it is". People use this so often! I work closely with the public and I swear I hear it at least once a day! LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 10:43:54 AM PDT
Kitty says:
Just curious.....
What else should a person say to get your attention? I use this phrase is why I'm wondering.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 10:45:28 AM PDT
Kitty says:
LOL
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  1023
Total posts:  3240
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 36 customers

Search Customer Discussions