Customer Discussions > Health forum

Phrases that drive you nuts!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2876-2900 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 8, 2012 6:46:26 AM PDT
Jinglebts says:
Kay Moller:
That same question-asking of oneself and then answering drives me nuts! I hate it! So glad you do too ...

So like, I'm just sayin', eh ...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 7:12:08 AM PDT
A linguist would disagree with you on turning nouns into verbs. It happens all the time and then is accepted as part of the development of the English language.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 7:14:12 AM PDT
I work at a hospital...

What's today's date?
Do you want my ID or my child's ID? My child doesn't have one
Do I put my name here or the patient's name here?
I don't know what my medications are
I know your message says you can't give medical advice over the phone but...
I know you are a walk in facility, but I have to catch a flight in an hour. Can you make an exception?

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 7:15:50 AM PDT
My procedure is in 5 minutes, it looks like there are a lot of people here. Can you put me at the front of the line?
I know it says my test has do be done 2 hours prior to my procedure, but I didn't have time. Is there any way you can have it done in 5 minutes?

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 2:58:30 PM PDT
Dodge Dart says:
I'm sick of the now overworked "uber" placed as a prefix.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 4:45:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2012 4:49:35 PM PDT
Jinglebts, I believe it was politicians who started this so they could control their press conferences - they ask themselves the questions they want to answer, instead of what the reporters might ask!
Do I hate it? I sure do!!

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 6:06:32 PM PDT
Mary says:
"passed away"
let's just say that they died

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 8:35:23 PM PDT
Kathy Edens says:
Sometimes people say someone just "passed" and I think they were on the highway in a car passing other cars.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 10:44:02 PM PDT
OH - and when they put a perfectly healthy animal to death for some reason or another and say that it was "euthanized." No, it wasn't - euthanasia is a mercy killing!

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 11:05:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2012 11:06:50 PM PDT
Last year at work we got an email memo that said: "I am writing to share information regarding a service enhancement that is part of a budget reduction." This ENHANCEMENT was that the custodians would no longer empty our office waste baskets and we were being asked to dump them ourselves in a bin in another room.

Kind of like the announcements by stores and businesses that start out "In order to serve you better..." which almost always means they're going to inconvenience you in some way!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 5:08:37 AM PDT
D. Stewart says:
How about, "What the?........."

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 6:05:11 AM PDT
chichizus says:
Kicking back. Ugh. I think I loathe this because of the people who have uttered it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 8:11:29 AM PDT
Pampeliska says:
Ooh, that's my favorite one. The "In order to serve you better" or "In order to protect you better" is just about always followed by a royal mind-F*, pardon my French.
Which, BTW, is also a suspect phrase (and yes, I do use it ocassionally).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 10:19:22 AM PDT
I know, it turns out to be something like charges for drinks and carry-ons on the airlines. Or self-serve grocery machines - hey, if I'm going to do their work for them I think I should get a discount!
"In order to screw you better.........."!!
And if you complain to them they'd probably say "Thanks for sharing,"
haha, which is another one I hate.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 11:17:17 AM PDT
"Thanks for sharing,"

To me this is like that INSIPID "I'm sorry you feel that way" as a dismissal of their bad service and screwups, and your anger at them. It's like being backhanded in the face and these are those times I wish my phone had a little zapper on it I could "hit" them with.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 11:49:36 AM PDT
T. Sadowski says:
...or maybe "passed gas"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 1:43:48 PM PDT
Pampeliska says:
never heard that one and it's the best :)
"in order to screw you better" is exactly the way this should be said...
did you make it up? or seen it somewhere else?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 1:56:04 PM PDT
Jinglebts says:
chichizus: to kick back:

I don't even understand what the phrase means, for heavens sake! My Online dictionary says: kick back:
1. To recoil unexpectedly and violently.
2. Informal To take it easy; relax: kicked back at home and watched TV.
3. Slang To return (stolen items).
4. Slang To pay a kickback

My Yahoo dictionary says: "kickback" (informal) ---- money that someone pays secretly and *dishonestly* in return for someone's help.
Source(s):
Longman dictionary

I have this problem at the sight of ppl kicking back. How does one do that? I'm all for a bit of slang, but this one? I just can't wrap my mind around it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 2:09:30 PM PDT
Pampeliska, I made it up, but I'm sure it's occurred to other people too... :)

By the way, your story about the teacher and the body part that expands 10 times is HILARIOUS - I'm going to have to send that one to friends; I especially love the last line.

When kids get words wrong it can be pretty funny - I know of a guy who played fireman when he was little and ran around with his "fire distinguisher"! Cracks me up - I picture him pointing it and saying, "Yep, that's a fire, all right."

But speaking of fires, I live here in Colorado where there's been all those awful fires - 340 houses were lost near Colorado Springs - and I absolutely hate it when, in the middle of a destroyed neighborhood, one house is untouched, and people say
"It's a miracle!" I think that's SO insensitive - does that mean God only cared about that family and not all the others?!?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 3:17:19 PM PDT
a reader says:
I like your style, RB.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 3:18:05 PM PDT
a reader says:
Tee Hee, RB.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 3:31:34 PM PDT
a reader says:
"She threw him under the bus." (Heard 100 times at the Casey Anthony trial last year).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 3:38:48 PM PDT
a reader says:
You are so right...the criminal climbs higher and higher...then you hear "Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 3:44:47 PM PDT
Jinglebts says:
Someone objected to nouns that are verbed. How's this one: "Favourited". It was in Etsy. I immediately thought of this group, and will never visit that site again.
Actually, it was "Recently Favourited".

"Recent favourites" anyone??

This is me, running away screaming: :-<AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 4:19:41 PM PDT
FretiCat says:
"...nouns that are verbed."

How's that for being self-referential?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  1023
Total posts:  3240
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 36 customers

Search Customer Discussions