Customer Discussions > Health forum

Phrases that drive you nuts!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3051-3075 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 2:45:16 PM PDT
Oh, I'm so glad! Personally, I think this horrible hot summer is fraying people's nerves and igniting tempers. I actually found this forum and the "mispronounced words" one a nice respite from the things that have been aggravating me in real life - for some reason our house has decided to fall apart right now so I've been dealing with plumbers and shower tile repairmen and now maybe we need a new dishwasher - ARGH!!! And I got a good giggle out of Mz. Jingle Girl's funny post about some misheard song lyrics just last week - it's amazing how laughing can kind of break the hold of a bad mood, isn't it? Here's to more laughs, guffaws, snickers, hoots - and if anyone gets snooty or combative we'll send them to the boxing ring.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 3:29:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 23, 2012 3:30:49 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 4:13:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2012 4:16:28 PM PDT
Does it seem to you as though, when you're already miserable, trying to deal with the heat and lack of rain, (or too much rain), THAT is when your house seeks its revenge?

I feel for you Lady M., I also recently had some repairs done to a leaky hot water valve (the one that goes into the washer), but next time I tried to wash a load of clothes, the cold water came out steaming...oops! Nothing quite like paying two people for one repair!

So let's try to keep our cool, and have some fun with our quirky language.
Here's another song lyric reference:
Aerosmith - Walk this Way, I always heard as "born to sway"
and someone already brought this one up, Golden Earring's song Blinded by the Light - but I heard it as "wrapped up like a douche, another runner in the night..." still makes no sense, but neither do the actually lyrics "Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night"
From www.lyrster.com/lyrics.

Anyone know of some other funny mis-heard lyrics?

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 4:25:08 PM PDT
FretiCat says:
"Blinded By The Light" is not a Golden Earring song. It was written by Bruce Springsteen and appeared on his first album, 1973's, "Greetings from Asbury Park N.J.", and was largely unnoticed. It became a hit for Manfred Mann's Earth Band on their 1976 album "The Roaring Silence". The Earth Band version changed some lyrics, most notably replacing Springsteen's "cut loose like a deuce" with "revved up like a deuce." Springsteen himself said that it took Manfred Mann rewriting the song to be about a "feminine hygiene product" to make it popular. In 2002, the Danish band Funkstar Deluxe recorded a disco version, and it also appears on Springsteen's Live In Dublin album. Golden Earring never covered it. It also appears in the soundtracks of the films "Blow" and "Running with Scissors".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 4:30:05 PM PDT
Yes, I think this house has it out for me......but I'll whip it into shape (or go broke trying, more likely!)

Okay, I finally looked up those lyrics to "Blinded by the Light" which I've always thought of as a Bruce Springsteen song (shows my age!) and you're right - it almost looks like Springsteen was trying to write an early Bob Dylan song - it's very strange.

I can't hear "Winter Wonderland" without substituting perspire for conspire - "Later on we'll perspire as we dream by the fire" - it makes sense to me!!

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 4:38:57 PM PDT
Okay, my turn to get professorial -
"The lyric is actually written: "Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night." Believe it or not, Deuce is actually `60s slang for a 1932 Ford, or a "deuce coupe," which explains why it can be revved up and run." *
Which answers MY question about it because I could make no sense of it either way.

* from http://blogcritics.org/music/article/q-blinded-by-the-light-revved/

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 4:58:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2012 5:08:21 PM PDT
I did know the song was written by Bruce, maybe I thought it was performed by Golden Earring because so many of their lyrics are...strange, although I enjoy their music immensely.
Thank you P. Taterczynski for your always appropriate hypercriticism. I'm so glad you're there to keep me in line.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 5:19:26 PM PDT
"literally" especially when everybody already knows
"grow the business"
"whatever"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 5:24:02 PM PDT
"Absolutely!!!!"
"liberal"
" true conservative"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 5:33:05 PM PDT
Yes. I was often visited by a supervisor from another department who start directives with "Don't you think, blah, blah, blah"? As in this is how I think it should be!

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 6:18:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2012 6:24:17 PM PDT
Paradigm Shift - slang for some new policy that nobody will like, but that adds to the "bottom line"
and
I'm here for you - usually from someone who never wants to talk to you, ever again!
Worse - We should always be there for each other...huh?

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 6:27:54 PM PDT
FretiCat says:
And thank YOU for your constant hypersensitivity.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 7:45:03 PM PDT
The phrase "go missing," which seems to have entered the language fairly recently.

People and things don't "GO MISSING!" They DISAPPEAR, and having disappeared, they ***ARE MISSING!***

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 7:45:35 PM PDT
I just saw one I hate in an online article -
I REALLY hate it when anyone says to a woman "Grow a pair" or any other reference to women having b*lls - I'm female, I don't WANT any, thanks very much.
(I wonder if AMZ will allow this post?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 7:48:41 PM PDT
The phrase "go missing":

I agree!!! Where did that come from?
And another that's become standard for newscasters:
"In harm's way." It sounds mawkish to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 8:04:30 PM PDT
Personally, I like the 1960s song Call Me by Chris Montez.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 1:31:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2012 1:54:47 AM PDT
Jinglebts says:
Mz. Jingle girl:
That's so funny! I myself could never figure them out myself, except the "bouche" thingaummy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 1:37:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2012 2:00:37 AM PDT
Jinglebts says:
Lady Mondegreen:

A-hah! Now we have it! "Blinded by the light/Revved up like a deuce/another runner in the light". I knew Bruce wrote it, but I never knew what it meant. "Bouche?" anyone?
www.sing365.com/.../lyric.../Little-Deuce-Coupe-lyrics.

And "go missing"? Disappear, for heaven's sake!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 1:51:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2012 2:01:31 AM PDT
Jinglebts says:
Lady Mondegreen:

Little Deuce Coupe, you don't know what I've got
(You don't know what I've got)
Little Deuce Coupe, you don't know what I've got

Well, I'm not braggin', babe, so don't put me down
(Deuce Coupe)
But I've got the fastest set of wheels in town
(Deuce Coupe)

When something comes up to me, he don't even try
(Deuce Coupe)
'Cause if it had a set of wings, man, I know she can fly

She's my little Deuce Coupe
You don't know what I've got
Little Deuce Coupe
You don't know what I've got

www.sing365.com/.../lyric.../Little-Deuce-Coupe-lyrics.

Them's the words.

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 8:54:21 AM PDT
Kathy Edens says:
Lady M, in reference to your phrase "go missing" I have to think of a conversation I overheard where some girl was repeating a conversation she had with another. She constantly said "so then I go....." and then "she goes..." and "then I go". All of this refering wo what they said, instead of saying "I said" or "she said". It made me want to butt into the conversation and ask "exactly where did you or she go?"

Ah, jinglebts....the Beach Boys. Takes me back to when I was a teenager. It is so sad what became of most of the original singing group. Dennis and Carl are dead. Brian lost his mind for awhile. Lawsuits between Mike and Al and the rest of the group. I think they are finally back together doing a 50 year reunion tour.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 10:42:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2012 10:43:20 AM PDT
"I go" & "she goes" - I've often heard that kind of exchange myself!

I overheard a similar conversation between two girls walking behind me - one was saying "So I was like (gasp) and then he was like (huh?) and I was like (another more exasperated gasp.)"
She managed to convey a lot with body language, I guess.....

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 1:45:31 PM PDT
RC says:
Failing to make pronouns and verbs agree. (e.g. Everyone should make up their own mind.)
"Utilize" instead of "use."
As mentioned by others, making nouns into verbs. The one that irritates me the most is "impact."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 2:04:15 PM PDT
FLbeachbum says:
To Postal employees, the word "mandatory" is a verb, as in "I was mandatoried to work overtime". No one ever questioned it, and it drove me nuts...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 2:34:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 25, 2012 2:35:58 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 2:39:43 AM PDT
Jinglebts says:
Ahh, we all hate verbs that are nouned ... and my personal yech is Lady Mm's "in harm's way". Everyone says it now, including parents, sisters, brothers, soldiers, news announcers, and just plain ole' ordinary folks. "In danger" sounds much better, and indeed, more dangerous. Personally, I thought "in harm's way" was from a patriotic song when I first heard it.

FLbeachbum: I have never heard that one! No wonder it starched your pants! (Oh no, I've committed another phrase that may drove ppl nuts! And I made it up on my own.)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  1023
Total posts:  3240
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 36 customers

Search Customer Discussions