Customer Discussions > Health forum

Mispronounced and Misspelled Phrases

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 295 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 2:19:21 PM PDT
K. Smith says:
It's not meant to be grammatical! It's like "gimme a break, you just can't be serious, thinking that way, C'mon.' It's kind of funny, and it's telling the guy to Think Again! If you think this, think again! And if you still don't get that think right, you might still have another think coming. (It's harder to pronounce think, with the k in the phrase, but it's annoying to people who know the correct way. And sounds sloppy) Also, try the correct way a few times and it has a stronger punch! Then let me know if you agree!
Remember the Music Man desperately begging his 'orchestra' of kids who never had a lesson, "Let's use the 'think' system, boys"
But I can see a proper English gentleman saying it your way over tea! That's the only way it would be 'proper' with Thought, never thing, ugh. Makes no 'sense'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 2:22:39 PM PDT
No, it means that if you think something is true you get to think again because it is not. Improper English? Possibly. But how would saying "thing" make sense? What thing would you have coming if someone said you were in error?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 3:00:48 PM PDT
K. Smith says:
Very well said, thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 3:15:05 PM PDT
PM says:
Melanie...I know what it means, but when you think again, do you have a "think coming", or a "thought coming"? I don't know about you all, but when I think I don't think "thinks", I think "thoughts". To "think" is a verb, a "thought" is a noun that results from the action of "think"ing.

As for "another thing coming"...it could be a surprise, or a correction, or a revelation. I guess it comes down to whether you want to say the saying as it originated, or if you want to use proper English. I choose the latter, so we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 7:10:42 PM PDT
I used to say the word 'reititerate' (pronounced re-eye-titerate) instead of 'reiterate'. After I finally caught on to my mistake, I would still continue to say it incorrectly every now and then out of habit. Even more embarrasing is that it would happen when I was having an argument with my husband and trying to prove my point and sound like I knew what I was talking about. I would hear it come out of my mouth, inwardly cringe, and think to myself "well I guess I just lost that argument..."

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 7:24:12 PM PDT
Also, while shopping on ebay for clothes for my young daughters, I have been alarmed at how many shoes are being offered that are made out of 'patton leather', and a lot of them also have shiny 'sequence' on them.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 7:57:39 PM PDT
James says:
All's I know = All I know
Neanderthal pronounced wrong as neanderTHal, the TH is pronounced T
Have your cake and eat it too = Eat yor cake and have it too
Bob and me = Bob and I

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 8:36:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 8:37:45 AM PDT
PM says:
Those are funny ones you mentioned, bonniecarrine. I thought of another saying this morning that I was sure I had been saying correctly, only to find out I was wrong. Don't think I have ever said it in public that I can recall - usually just jokingly to myself. The saying is "fire in the hole". I could swear "fire in the hull" makes more sense (like fire in the hull of a boat) and that's what I thought was the correct version, but no. Wrong again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 10:06:57 AM PDT
Pampeliska says:
PM, your post made me remember a show I have seen in the past, where two couples were hanging out and one woman used the word "wheelbarrow", upon which the other one (main character of the show), exuding all the moral superiority she could muster, corrected her, saying the word is actually "wheelbarrel".
Awkward social moment followed, and after they (the main couple) got home she kept on insisting she was right. Only after he finally whipped out a dictionary did she finally let up feeling appropriately embarrassed.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 10:44:31 AM PDT
PM . . . if you're saying that the expression "another think coming" is not proper English, while "another thing coming" is, then you are, with respect, wrong.

True, you can say "another thing coming" and it is not the same as "another think coming".

However, "think" is just as much a noun as "thought" [according to the Oxford Dictionary and any others you look at]. Oxford, give the example . . . "I went for a walk to have another think" which would sound rather odd if you went just to have another thought.

The sentence "If you think I am going to eat that then you have another think coming" makes sense whereas saying "If you think I'm going to eat that that then you have another thing coming" makes no real sense, because the second part of the sentence does not arise from the first part.

The expression of "another think" is in relation to a stated or assumed prior act of thinking which now requires more thinking . . . a rethink [also a perfectly accepted noun], another think. It is not in relation to a prior "thing".

So if you want to say another thing coming, you are certainly free to do it but not if you want to make sense in terms of expressing your opinion that some conclusion has to be thought through again . . . requires a rethink or another think.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 10:47:40 AM PDT
Calls to mind an Army commander for whom I once worked as a civilian. He insisted that the stone in fron of a fireplace was called a heath stone. As I'm sure you know, the correct term is hearth stone. No one wanted to embarrass him by correcting him in public.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 11:19:20 AM PDT
Here, here! Yes, exactly!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 11:26:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 3:17:01 PM PDT
Pampeliska says:
Yes, I've had also some challenges with the "hearth".
Since English is my second language, I had to work on distinguishing the

earth vs. hearth vs. Heath (bar) vs. heat vs. heart vs. Hart (name) vs. heard vs. hoard vs. hurt vs. herd vs. hard vs. hark etc...

quite intriguing language this English :))

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 11:31:48 AM PDT
yes, is'nt the English language fascinating? I can speak German somewhat, and I know a little French and Spanish, but there is nothing quite like English. We take a little here and a great deal there and put it all together to see what we have. You could say that native English speakers are the mutts of the world. ;)

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 12:05:42 PM PDT
PM says:
Russell Pollard, I guess you're saying "another think" is used much like we use the term "a good read"? I have just never heard the word "think" used as a noun in my lifetime - until now. Maybe it was commonly used that way in earlier times. But since neither way (think or thing) makes sense to me I think I'll just opt out of the whole stupid expression and never utter it again. Plus, since my kids are grown I no longer have much use for it!! ; ) But thanks for the clarification...

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 12:07:04 PM PDT
W.H. says:
A scary number of people say AND spell out the phrase "mute point" instead of "moot point." It reminds me of the time when Matt LeBlanc's character on "Friends" said "It's a moo point. You know, like a cow's opinion? it doesn't matter."

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 12:11:36 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 1:27:02 PM PDT
Waiting Man says:
My pet peeve is people who dont understand the proper use of apostrophe's.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 1:36:40 PM PDT
K. Smith says:
It is supposed to be 'wrong' so that it makes an emphasis, so that it is sort of funny or not quite so insulting, and so you can point out the error of the other person's thinking on the spot. Think again right now, and this time perhaps you will get it right. (And do not dwell on any other Thing) Just Think again. Let's see how your next Think works out, because your first Think sucked.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 1:38:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 1:40:17 PM PDT
PM says:
Ehrmmm....Waiting Man - very funny...you misused an apostrophe twice while stating your pet peeve is people who don't understand the proper use of apostrophes. I am a stickler for the same thing, thus I caught it immediately. I assume it was intentional??

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 1:39:30 PM PDT
K. Smith says:
Nope, I'm not making this up. The old saying has been around for years

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 3:31:18 PM PDT
PM says:
Here's one I was reminded of recently:

"It's a doggy dog world." instead of the correct version: "It's a dog-eat-dog world".

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 3:42:31 PM PDT
Amber Poole says:
"Antidotal" evidence instead of anecdotal evidence. Drives me nuts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 5:17:22 PM PDT
K. Smith says:
i am so glad I happened upon this. That's another annoying one! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 5:22:47 PM PDT
K. Smith says:
Russell, I wish I were as eloquent as you.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Vitamins vs Whole Foods 462 36 seconds ago
Help! I'm exhausted and have no energy to do much. 1380 7 hours ago
Infant circumcision 3951 9 hours ago
What would happen if we stopped giving vaccines? 7025 10 hours ago
Rife Machine Usuage 3570 1 day ago
What is best for Neuropathy feet pain. 5 1 day ago
MONSANTO 6869 1 day ago
Plantar Fasciitis 499 2 days ago
Beware of Energy Drinks! 47 2 days ago
foot drop or drop foot 20 3 days ago
vibrational healing 0 5 days ago
PENETREX 0 6 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  67
Total posts:  295
Initial post:  Jul 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions