Customer Discussions > Health forum

Should marijuana be federally legalized?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2011 2:22:07 AM PDT
Biker Denis says:
YES! If Washington had a clue, they'd realize the answer to the deficit IS leagalization of marijuana! Reasons:

1- DEA can stop wasting time and money on a 'drug' that has been MEDICALLY proven HARMLESS AND non-addictive and go after the hard dangerous drugs not to mention most of their Mexican drug problems would simply vanish!

2- The tax potential is virtually limitless since any tax imposed will still make marijuana much cheaper than street prices and safer as it would be regulated.

3- Feds can save hundreds of miilions per year by NOT paying farmers to leave fields empty... let them grow pot! The tabacco companies are chomping at the bit and ready to process if legalized... granted there are many more steps thanprocessing tobacco, but their customer base is dying and they're ready to roll. (no pun intended)

4- I personally live in RI, a medical marijuana State, and use it for pain control. I've been on high doses of Oxycontin and can tell you ALL first hand that marijuana is WAY more effective and not addictive unlike Oxy... It took 6 months to ween off Oxy with a doctor's care and it was still hell! I know it's not addictive because I've had many times when I couldn't get it (like now) and I have absolutely NO withdrawal effects whatsoever.

5- Release anyone in State or Federal prisons for marijuana offenses and relieve the overcrowding problem in our prison system.

6- Let's not forget, marijuana was LEGAL in this country until 1937 when the Southwestern ststes put pressure on the federal government to outlaw it to keep Mexicans out... it was political! The depression was costing jobs and by making marijuana illegel, you could keep Mexican immigrants under control. (Sound familiar?) That was the beginning of the 'Reefer Madness' generation. The feds were pissed when they found out they made hemp illegal along with marijuana as hemp IS canabis! (Latin for Canvas.)

7- Drug dealers (pot dealers anyway) would be wiped out in one clean sweep... who's gonna pay street prices for crap when you can go to a LEGAL store, kind of like liquor stores and buy great pot in mutiple strains legally???

8- Pharmaceutical companies have WAY too much power in Washington and let's get real... Who REALLY wants to keep it illegal; the government or the drug companies?? Hmmm, that's a tough one! The drug companies would lose too much money if people really found out the true healing effects of marijuana.

9- Recent studies have shown (this blew me away) that the human body NATURALLY produces cannabinoids (what gives maririjuana its effectivness) and that marijuana makes connections directly with our nerve receptors making it a biological fit with humans! It was first though to disrupt brain chemistry, but not so, that's why there are no drug interactions when you use it. National Geographic Channel (I think) has a series called "Drugged" and the episode on marijuana is mind-blowing to say the least!

Seriously, aside from teenage abuse which is happening anyway just as it is with alcohol, I just don't see a downside. Before 1937, partucularly during prohibition, high society used it constantly! They would have their chefs bake it into desserts and confections. If anyone doubts anything in this post please look it up and I'd be happy to discuss it rationally.

Posted on May 14, 2011 3:35:47 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 15, 2011 12:32:28 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2011 4:19:45 AM PDT
Biker Denis says:
Thank You Celestial Sojourner!

That was a point I meant to put in and forgot to. In lab tests, rats have been given doses of THC (tetrahydracannabinol) up to 500 times what a normal human could possibly smoke in a day and did just that.... a nap and lots of trips to the snack pellet distributor

It is physically impossible to overdose on marijuana making it the SAFEST 'drug' out there! Thank you again, that's a VERY important point.

Posted on May 14, 2011 5:21:46 PM PDT
R. Carpenter says:
Mike Huckabee, an authoritarian personality, says using marijuana is like holding people in slavery; it is so evil that the federal government must prohibit it. He appears to believe that using marijuana is worse than murder, which is almost always punished under state law, not federal law.

Posted on May 14, 2011 5:33:46 PM PDT
Rowan says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2011 6:12:57 PM PDT
I agree it should be legal, but I don't think the federal government should be the one to do it. They need to repeal the ban and put the power back where it belongs -- the states!

But yes it should be legal!!! It's a beautiful plant, and the War on Drugs is a crock.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2011 6:13:28 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 14, 2011 7:01:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2011 7:12:18 PM PDT
Biker Denis says:
R. Carpenter and Rowan,

Wow! I don't don't know where to start with you two! First try thinking for yourselves Never mind what Huckabee says... he's just an idiot! He an Rush Linbaugh should go bowling together! Rush was arrested for narcotic abuse himself!

This gateway drug bull has ZERO merrit! I've used it for 25 years and never have I ever wanted to get into narcotics (which by definition marijuana is NOT... Look it up!) As a matter of fact, I was able to get off Oxycontin and replace it with marijuana... which is the gateway drug there??

People who use it as a 'gateway drug' are looking to escape reality as much as possible and just because marijuana doesn't do that you can't blame it for their misuse of narcotics. They would have gone that route with or without marijuana.

How many people rob stores, mug old ladies and are willing to kill for Meth? Now, how many instances have you heard of these crimes being perpetrated by people seeking marijuana? I challenge you to find one example.

PLEASE!!! I implore you to get educated! Do research and know what you're talking about before you make an argument. Not to be insulting but I believe there's an old saying... "Better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!" Sorry, I'm happy to entertain legitimate arguments, not ones that have been fed to the masses for political reasons.

BTW, if you're going to villanize something let's talk about alcohol; addictive, ruins lives, destroys families... yet perfectly legal... hmmm who's the naive one here?

Posted on May 15, 2011 3:39:40 PM PDT
Biker Denis says:
I'm very surprised that so few have chimed in on this topic as it has been one of the most debated topics for decades. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2011 4:10:38 PM PDT
The Health Forum's gotten slow.

Really though, there is no good argument for the federal ban. And anyone who still believes in the "gateway drug" silliness in 2011 is someone who's probably brainwashed and not open to debate. In my personal experience, including my own past self.

Posted on May 15, 2011 4:13:38 PM PDT
Sunshine Tea says:
No. This is a "states' rights," issue. Our Fed. govt. is already trampling states' rights and needs to back off or be "pushed off" by the states.

Posted on May 15, 2011 4:23:22 PM PDT
Biker Denis says:
Thank you Sunshine Tea and The Panther for chiming in. I agree with both of you. The federal ban should be lifted and it should be in the hands of each state and the 'Gateway Drug' theory is just that... Sillyness! Thanks again for keeping this topic alive. It is a deeply personal and important topic for me and I appreciate your input... especially since you're both right! :-) Have a great day and smoke em' if ya got em'!

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2011 4:24:30 PM PDT
Holler to that! Too bad I don't got 'em :( I'm in CO now so hoping to get a prescription. It's so beautiful to see all the dispensaries.

Posted on May 16, 2011 2:53:34 AM PDT
Vagabond says:
What about the drug dealers? I'm sure they'd feel threatened by losing their way of living, so they'd vote against it. As ridiculous as it sounds (I mean c'mon! LEGAL!) they would want to keep making business, their monthly income could depend on that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011 4:53:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2011 4:55:39 AM PDT
Puhleeeez, marijuana is not the gateway drug. Ritalin, Aderol, and other behavior controlling drugs for ADD & ADHD are thetrue gateway drugs, leaving kids yearning for more of "that feeling" as they gain resistant to their doses or meds. There are more people hooked on prescription drugs and buying them illegally than using any other illegal drug.

Marijuana and hemp should be legalized once again. That is why states are taking measures to do such.

As for Huckabee, what an idiot, to persecute one of God's herbs. It is right-wing wackos such as himself that need to be imprisoned to protect the rest of this planet from the harm such extreme views continue to inflict on innocent people.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011 11:36:29 AM PDT
Biker Denis says:
Amen Tree hugger! And the drug companies are the ones that have the most to lose it the federal ban is lifted! Politics suck! It's never about the right thing and almost always about the almighty dollar!

Posted on May 16, 2011 2:05:55 PM PDT
I am pretty passionate about this subject. There are so many medicinal uses for marijuana- from fibromyalgia, MS to cancer. And hemp being illegal is a sham- IRS because it can be used to make ANYTHING that petroleum is. Also the nutrition and food and textile opportunities are endless.

Posted on May 16, 2011 3:31:56 PM PDT
Wutisay says:
Yes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011 3:42:05 PM PDT
Biker Denis says:
Tree hugger
I'm with ya! I use it myself in a medical marijuana state legally for pain control. Got off of oxycontin as a result of the new law. Another point; Most people have no idea that Henry Ford's vision for his automobile was it was to run on a 'gasoline' created from hemp! Unfortunately, even the political environment then was backing cotton... an inferior product in every way and Ford had to cave to the pressure of the new 'Oil Industry' which was still in its infancy at the time. It's a goddamn shame. Imagine the planet if this hemp fuel was used and the oil industry never took off! Ahhh what a wonderful world it would be.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011 3:52:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2011 3:53:16 PM PDT
I agree, but think it's a mistake to put it only on the right wing. Personally, I think both wings are SSDD, but either way, Obama's had over two years to repeal the federal ban, and not a peep. Both parties are guilty in this equation, and we need to demand better.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011 3:52:54 PM PDT
Yup!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011 4:06:38 PM PDT
Biker Denis says:
Yes, both parties have guilt to share. The only thing that Obama did do within his first couple months in office was make a directive to the DEA and other fedral law enforcement agencies that made it clear that no federal money was to be used to go after medical marijuana states and patients in particular. I respect him for that as I am a patient who grows his own, however he should of and could of done alot more for the cause. Ultimately, we need new revenue in this country and legally taxed marijuana could be the amswer to much of the US' financial problems. I like the way you think my friend. Too bad the reps in Washington don't share (or admit to sharing) our views on the subject.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011 4:44:43 PM PDT
C. Wilsted says:
legalization or criminalization should not be a federal issue, the only thing that constutionaly can be controlled by the Federal government is the interstate and international trade there of.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011 4:50:20 PM PDT
left wing, right wing, they taste the same to me!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011 4:54:28 PM PDT
Biker Denis says:
Tree hugger
They taste the same because they're all chicken wings for not lifting the ban years ago! :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 65 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  435
Total posts:  1623
Initial post:  May 14, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 34 customers

Search Customer Discussions