Customer Discussions > Health forum

Miracle Treatment for Cold Sores

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 11, 2012 8:06:51 AM PDT
Harry Brown says:
For those of you who suffer with the virus, you know how annoying a flair up of the Cold sore can be especially when you know it is going to just get worse before it gets better..
Well Judging by the customer reviews of the Product below, it is clear that this device is a true Miracle.

Lipzor Cold Sore Light Treatment Machine. Treats Herpes Simplex Without Creams or Gels. LipZor the New name for Virulite

Originally called the Virulite Machine, The Device is prescribed By British GP's on the UK NHS service.

Original version also available on Amazon.
Original Virulite Cold Sore machine. Treat coldsores using an invisible light

It works using an invisible light that itself does not attack the virus but stimulated your skin into fighting the virus.
Use at the tingle stage of a Cold sore and the chances are the blister will not even appear.

I have used it myself and yes indeed can say the product reviews on the machine are accurate. I keep one to hand at all times.

Posted on May 11, 2012 11:35:07 AM PDT
I hardly think that dealing with a cold sore requires a miracle.

Posted on May 11, 2012 11:42:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 11:43:46 AM PDT
Cherylrena says:
Add niacin to your daily vitamins if you are prone to cold sores and you will never get them again. My friend Mike constantly suffered from this ailment and after including niacin in his diet, never suffered again. During his last outbreak I mentionned using about 3 times the daily allowance to help speed along recovery. I warned him that there was a good chance that he would experience a "niacin flush". It's harmless, but can be uncomfortable and "scary" if you're not ready for it. Basically you get very warm, your skin can turn red and feel "prickly". This will pass in less than 5 minutes. His sore took much less time to heal and afterwards he took the daily niacin dosage and never experienced the "flush" (or cold sores) again.

Posted on May 11, 2012 12:18:17 PM PDT
S. Henderson says:
I take Lysine when I feel the beginnings of a cold sore. Most times, after taking the Lysine, the cold sore doesn't even show up. Simple fix.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 12:39:59 PM PDT
Harry Brown says:
seems the people leaving the product reviews disagree with you.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 12:16:51 PM PDT
Kelly says:
I've had cold sores come and go over the years but when I'm stressed and really tired I find they are more apt to appear. I tried Abreva and home remedies but they didn't work. My sister recommended I try a product called, Zyderma. It uses silver to help kill bacteria on the skin. I've been using it everyday as part of my cleansing regimen and I love it! Lately I've been crazy tired and sick. I could feel a sore coming on so I added extra Zyderma cream to the corners of my mouth. I never did get one! I don't if it's a fluke but since I've been using the product I haven't gotten a cold sore. I dunno guys but this may be worth checking out. www.zyderma.com

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 4:49:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 1:55:06 AM PDT
ParrotSlave says:
I have no idea whether it works or not, since I haven't had any cold sores in many years. There are pathetically few scholarly publications that I can find regarding the possible effect of IR light on cold sore healing. Two studies appear in the journal Clinical and Experimental Dermatology. A 2001 study by Dougal and Kelly stated, "A randomized prospective double-blind study was performed to compare the efficacy of a single 5 min 1072 nm narrow waveband light application against topical aciclovir applied five times daily in the treatment of herpes labialis. Treatment was initiated within 36 h of the onset of symptoms and the end point was defined as the day that the crust was discarded leaving an uninterrupted underlying skin at the site of the cold sore. The results demonstrated that a single 5 min light treatment significantly reduced cold sore healing time by 4 days; 1072 nm light healed cold sores in 4.3 Ā} 1.8 days (mean Ā} SD) as compared with aciclovir applied five times daily, 8.5 Ā} 3.0 days (P < 0.0001)." (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11298104)

A 2006 study by Hargate obtained similar results: "The 1072-nm light-emitting diode device reduced cold-sore healing time to 6.3 days compared with 9.4 days for placebo (P=0.048). The time the cold sore took to form a crust was also reduced from 2.00 days for those treated with 1072-nm light, compared with 2.88 days for placebo (P=0.059)." (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16780494)

So, if these data are correct and are valid, it might cut a third off of the healing time, which isn't bad. There are a lot of variables that could be measured, such as repeated treatment, but the lack of other clinical data bothers me. Considering the number of herpes sufferers here on earth, and the amount of collective anguish that creates, surely someone would have followed up on this.

Some studies on 1072 nm light have found that human lymphocytes irradiated with it are somewhat protected against subsequent uv light toxicity, and a couple of ophthalmologists in 2007 studied it as an "anti-aging agent" for the skin around the eyes. They reported that it was, although their conclusions were based on subjective reports on observed "improvements" in bags under the eyes and in wrinkles around the eyes, which is kind of iffy, but that's not to say that it might not very well have some effect (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17852628). To be candid, I don't consider the data to be valuable; think of all the women you know who use various "beauty" products and want you to tell them whether they look better or not. Do you dare say no?

A 2008 study states that "non-thermal near infra-red...has been shown to have many beneficial photobiological effects on a range of cell types, including neurons. In the present study, a pretreatment with a daily 6 min exposure to IR1072 for 10 days yielded a number of significant behavioral effects on middle-aged female CD-1 mice (12-months) tested in a 3D-maze. Middle-aged mice show significant deficits in a working memory test and IR treatment reversed this deficit." (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17855128) I wonder about that. How is such irradiation supposed to affect any brain cells or neurons directly? In the herpes and skin wrinkle tests, the affected cells were directly irradiated, but to imagine that anything inside a living body would be affected by having the body exposed to some bursts of near infrared light seems extremely fanciful. If they're being affected by being warmed up, then go out in the sun for a while. Simply exposing the mice to that particular wavelength and even expecting to find a result like that is strange; the thought would never occur to me to expose some mice to a certain wavelength of infrared, then check to see if the mice have suddenly become smarter. I cannot help but wonder if the results were known in advance of the experiment. I mean, what in the world kind of mechanism could you possibly propose for such an effect? I'm not calling them liars, but I'd like to see the results replicated elsewhere. I'm just waiting to see the ads for magic invisible light machines that will turn your kids into geniuses and guarantee that they will get into Harvard. I'm sure some people would believe it, and would buy them though.

A 2011 Korean study concluded that "1072 nm infrared light had a photobiomodulation effect which resulted in an enhanced biological immune response to the bacterial infection by MRSA and also increased the expression of VEGF to a significant level" in mice. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21955546) One study that puzzles me is at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1011134405001077. It describes the effect of two wavelengths of light on human lymphocytes, and they found that 1072 nm IR stimulated production of iNOS protein. Curiously enough, a number of herbal "immune stimulators," such as andrographis, have the opposite effect, which is a little strange.

My first thought when I saw the original post was that it sounds like a bunch of hooey, but on thinking about it, decided that, depending on what "invisible light" meant, there might be a germ of truth to it, and apparently there is. The reason it sounded like hooey is that marketing a product as using "invisible light" is pretty much going to exclude anyone as a customer who has scientific training, so I figured they were going after the "I'll believe anything" crowd.

Anyway, it sounds like one of those things that cannot hurt and could very well help some--but to call it a "miracle" is just a marketing ploy. $99 for a simple device that generates an IR beam, with a few bells and whistles thrown in? If it were $9.99, I might buy one. I could even see $19.99, but $99 is outlandish. Acyclovir is expensive too, but oral acyclovir has the distinct advantage of protecting against a simultaneous viral outbreak elsewhere in the body.

Anyone thinking about buying one of those machines ought to see if their health insurance company will cover the expense: if it works, and the health insurance companies know it, they would certainly recoup their cost by not having to pay for acyclovir so many times, considering that herpes customers/patients usually have episodic outbreaks, requiring acyclovir each time. I remember, during my cancer treatment, when my immune system was compromised, having to get several prescriptions for acyclovir, tablet and ointment. Health insurance companies are only interested in making money: if they thought that wearing a polka dotted shirt would make you heal faster and save them money, they would require that you wear polka dotted shirts. If they thought that you could buy one of those machines, and they would not ever have to pay for acyclovir again, they would go for it. Ask them if they think it's a bunch of hooey.

The fact that some doctors in Great Britain use it doesn't impress me; homeopathy is also popular there, which should tell you something about the prevailing level of credulity. (I'm not judging the many by the few, but they do seem to have more than their fair share of homeopaths there.)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2014 4:40:38 PM PDT
Jacqui says:
You obviously don't suffer with cold sores!

Posted on Oct 14, 2014 8:41:41 PM PDT
We take Lysine and they go away within 1-2 days. If you take it when the barely appear, they clear up fast.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  May 11, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions