Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Health forum

Toothpaste and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 70 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2009 10:01:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2009 10:02:26 AM PST
D.A Solomon says:
I was using for months a toothpaste " all natural " .

I cites :
"We use natural ingredients in natural ways without adding anything artificial"

Today I found that it was containing: Sodium lauryl sulfate that is used in industrial products including engine degreasers, floor cleaners, and car wash soaps. Sodium lauryl sulfate is a very strong surfactant that was developed for washing garage floors. The problem is that it denatures protein, and the body is made up of protein.

A dental association in Japan tested sodium lauryl sulfate on bacteria, and found that it is a mutagen which means that it can change the genetics within the cell. In children under six, just the absorption of this ingredient through the scalp every day is enough to prevent their eye proteins from linking up properly. These harmful ingredients are banned in Europe and Central America.

I called the company: behind this " all natural" product was Colgate.

Tell me what you think about this..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2009 10:42:54 AM PST
z fish says:
Sodium lauryl sulfate is in every shampoo I have ever looked at. It is just a detergent. Where did you hear this stuff?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2009 11:46:15 AM PST
Glit says:
Well technically it is a detergent surfacant. It is used in many applications, the reason being is the ability to denature protiens and allow for a thicker lather. The denaturing of protiens in the substance it is used for does not mean that it does so on the skin nor that it is absorbed through the scalp.
It has been studied a lot and as far as I know the most common problems that arise from this are contact dermatitis and canker sores in people with a sensitivity to it.

However, I find it extremely misleading for a company to claim thier product is all natural and include this chemical detergent. It's obviously not a "natural" ingredient.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2009 12:13:08 PM PST
The terms "natural" and "all natural" have no legal meaning with regard to food products or health and beauty aids.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2009 12:44:19 PM PST
K. Raymond says:
The reply by "Glit" below is correct - it is a lathering agent - and it DOES cause canker sores and contact dermatitis in some folks (including me). If you want to avoid the sodium lauryl sulfate in toothpaste - you can buy the Rembrandt brand that is labeled "Gentle" or the one specifically for "Canker sore sufferers". Neither of these have SLS - however they probably have other artificial ingredients and couldn't be considered natural either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2009 2:44:38 PM PST
I avoid it for this reason...

"Perhaps most worryingly, SLS is also absorbed into the body from skin application. Once it has been absorbed, one of the main effects of sodium lauryl sulfate is to mimic the activity of the hormone Estrogen. This has many health implications and may be responsible for a variety of health problems from PMS and Menopausal symptoms to dropping male fertility and increasing female cancers such as breast cancer, where estrogen levels are known to be involved."

Source: http://mamapitcher.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/sodium-lauryl-sulfate-sls-and-sodium-laureth-sulfate-sles/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2009 4:19:23 PM PST
E.M. says:
I was using Tom's of Maine Flouride-Free toothpaste, when I noticed it contained SLS. Technically, since it is derived from coconuts, it is a "natural" substance. But, I believe quite a few customers complained to Tom's, so they have just introduced an SLS-free toothpaste. It is now carried here by Amazon. You could also try Jason's toothpaste (I believe that is what it is called), and it has never contained SLS.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2009 4:23:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2009 4:25:46 PM PST
D.A Solomon says:
The name of this disgusting fraud is
Natural Care Tom's of Maine toothpaste owned as I found out by Colgate. When I called them they ask me if it was a medical emergency; so I said yes. They are pretty well organize for emergencies !!

My thought go to women with breast cancer estrogen related absorbing theirs dose of estrogen everyday !! This is a scandal !!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2009 7:22:52 PM PST
E.M. says:
Whoa there, buddy. I hope I didn't upset you too much, although I was somewhat amused by your last post. In your question, you came across as someone who seemed informed to a certain extent. However, Tom's of Maine is not hiding the fact that Colgate is now the owner. In fact, it is right on their website: http://www.tomsofmaine.com/business-practices/heritage.aspx, and a simple search on Yahoo also turned up this answer. I was merely trying to let you know that Tom's is a company that listens to their consumers, and actually changed a product to suit their requests. In my package of toothpaste from months ago, I received a pamphlet about their altered SLS-free formula being developed. I find it hard to believe that someone from customer service did not let you know about this toothpaste, also. While I agree with you about harmful chemicals being allowed in American personal care products, I am a little taken back by your animosity towards a company that so freely declares their affiliation with Colgate-Palmolive.

Also, if you are looking for an alternative, Jason Natural does not contain SLS. To the previous poster who mentioned shampoos containing SLS- I have been using Dr.Bronner's Magic Organics soap as a shampoo for the past 6 months. It is the only certified organic soap/shampoo that I know of, and once you get used to the difference, it is so much better than regular shampoo. I use the lavendar soap for my children's bath.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2009 9:12:20 PM PST
Misty says:
Try a brand called "Kiss my Face". It is wonderful tasting and natural. It does not include flouride!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2009 10:25:05 PM PST
D.A Solomon says:
You wrote : " Whoa there, buddy. I hope I didn't upset you too much"
Not at all !!

I am very sorry but this company is very deceptive in the presentation of their product from the box to the verbiage printed on it specially design to scam customers.

It will be interesting to know how they get sodium lauryl sulfate from coconuts.

Is that something like Splenda who is not a sugar, not made from sugar and don't even taste like sugar ?

My animosity is all justified and I don't have the intention to change my attitude at all . Why should I ?

When I buy a natural product I don't expect to find a chemical boosting estrogen in it with eventual mutagen properties on my DNA.

What they call also " Purified silica from earth " is nothing else then quartz powder like the one you find in sand paper: I will not even clean my car with this toothpaste :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009 7:33:27 AM PST
T. Turner says:
What I think is that we all deserved to be educated about the things we put in and on our bodies. Coconut-derived SLS is "all natural" but it is not something I want touching my gums day after day, my whole life. Arsenic is all natural too but it doesn't make it good, right? I don't care if any product package says "all natural." I also don't care too much if it says "USDA Organic." It has to be certified by an independent organic company for me to feel good about buying it. Anyhow, I avoid SLS when I can, but I don't panic much if I encounter it either. I just try to avoid it in general without losing any sleep over it.

Also, I'm saddened (though not surprised) to find out that Tom's is now part of Colgate-Palmolive. I felt similarly to find Ben & Jerry's is now owned by Unilever. And so on, and so forth. I feel it is very important to support small and local businesses and it is for this reason that I discontinue supporting small companies that have been bought by big ones. I think a person needs only play the game Monopoly once to know understand why we wouldn't want one major company owning all the other little ones. I'm grateful for this information and will cease to buy Tom's products.

And, like Sapphireminx, I also recommend Jason Seafresh toothpaste. It doesn't do the ridiculous SLS foaming action (I feel like a rabid dog if I have to use someone else's toothpaste) nor does it have the weird artificial sweetness of all the mainstream brands. (Sweet toothpaste? Is this seconds on dessert? Weird.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009 7:44:30 AM PST
MtnHarmony says:
I never knew they lacked that ingredient. Thanks! I do have problems with harsher cleaners, therefore I often use baking soda and salt to brush my teeth. I still havent found anything I really like for my head that works fo rmy hair, my scalp and my budget. Baking soda would work for my hair too but it takes too much time and water to rinse out properly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009 7:47:57 AM PST
MtnHarmony says:
How do you use their soap as shampoo? I have the liquid lavender version. I believe I tried it once and hated it. I don't remember why though. I would love a follow-up on how you use it. I was never able to find any info online last year when I tried it myself. Thanks! bnforgiven@yahoo.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009 8:05:39 AM PST
lviger says:
If you want to learn more about sodium lauryl sulfate and all kinds of other stuff like it, check out a book by Raymond Francis called Never Be Sick Again, do a search on amazon for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009 8:05:44 AM PST
T. Turner says:
Oh yes, baking soda is fantastic! I haven't tried it on the hair but I use it (in conjunction with vinegar) to clean just about our entire apartment! I use it occassionally on the teeth and hadn't known to use it with salt, so thank you!

I'm not sure if it will fit your budget, but I also use Jason shampoo as well. It is about $9 for a 16 oz. bottle but we've had it since August for two people and it still feels at least a third full. We use the moisturizing "Sea Kelp" shampoo so I rarely use conditioner. It is definitely not harsh, there is no SLS, no animal testing, lots of great conditioning oils, and the bottle is made with 25% recycled plastic. $9 for all that over at least 4-5 months for two people and I'm happy.

The cheapest thing, of course, is to wean yourself off of shampoo. Haven't tried, but I imagine it only takes a few weeks for your scalp to figure out it doesn't need to be producing all that oil and it will back off. If you're interested, maybe start by only rinsing with a 9:1, white vinegar:water mixture?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009 11:37:37 AM PST
Glit says:
I don't really know if the scalp has to figure anything out, but it is important to note that people generally shampoo their hair way more often than is necessary(ask any good cosmetologist about this) Unless you have excessively oily hair, have sweat a lot, or have gotten dirty, once or twice a week is typically enough, provided that you rinse your hair and scalp well with warm water when you bathe.

Also you can make a fairly easy body wash or shampoo from yucca roots. Mix it with a bit of chamomile and lavender for a nice soothing liquidy soap. The lather won't be as rich as commercial products of course but the natural saponins will get you clean.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009 1:58:30 PM PST
E.M. says:
MtnHarmony: Do you have the liquid lavender Castile soap? If you do, I've never used that as a shampoo. I use the Magic Organics Lavender for my children, and I've used the Unscented for myself. It is made from Shikakai. Make sure that when you put it on your hands, you add water, so that it lathers before you put it in your hair. But, I've found that if I don't wash it out well, the back of my hair gets an oily buildup, so make sure to rinse well. I see no difference in my boys, except that my son with moderate-severe eczema no longer has it on his scalp since I started using it! I like knowing exactly what I am putting on my children's skin. I bought it straight from Drbronners.com. I also use their organic lip gloss, and it is the best I have ever encountered.

John, I understand why you are upset now. I do believe it is deceptive to not openly disclose it on the product box. However, not disclosing it openly is good marketing on their part. I personally would have never tried Tom's of Maine, if I had known it was owned by Colgate. But, since I have tried it, and found them to be good products, I will continue to do so. I will, however, be purchasing their SLS-free toothpaste now.

By the way, I think I feel John's pain now! Ben and Jerry's is owned by Unilever!?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009 5:42:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2009 5:50:21 PM PST
MtnHarmony says:
I never wash my hair more than 2 times a week. I learned that from using baking soda but my hair does get greasy and I haven't been able to make it past the 3-4 day mark without having to wash it. Personal choice on my part due to it looking yucky. And yes I have tried using vinegar in varying amounts to rinse it out. I also have personally noticed my scalp needing to adjust to changes in shampoo, esp. when switching to more natural products like baking soda.

T.Turner - I use a mixture of baking soda and salt. I don't know the ratio. I use more soda than salt but not sure how much. It varies each time I make it depending upon my mood. I also added 1 teeny drop (not a full drop, had to touch it to the side of the container to get it off the stick) Tea Tree Oil and 1 drop peppermint oils. Both of these are essential oils. I have to leave the mixture open to the air for a day or so to let some of the peppermint air out. I tried it straight away with one of my 1st batches and it burned too much. After a day or so - to your liking- I keep it closed in a small container. I love the stuff and really hate when I have to use regular paste. I do feel like I foam as well. I personally found it hard to use regular stuff after being pregnant. Then I tried Jason's apricot paste as it was the only kind that didn't make me gag as bad.

Sapphireminx - yes I have the lavender castile soap. I didn't know they had another kind. I will look into it. I knew Jason made a shampoo but never got the nerve to try it so thanks T.Turner for that suggestion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009 6:28:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2009 6:29:53 PM PST
Glit says:
perhaps try a bit of citrus like orange (lemon can lighten the hair a bit over time) I do know it can really add some shine to your hair and well tbh whenever I juice an orange I use the leftover part of the orange in some hot water to clean my microwave (also it makes the house smell like oranges yum). It really can cut through oils, and I'd bet it is more gentle than vinegar and I know it smells better. Haven't tried it personally for the oiliness thing cause since my teenage years have ended my hair has tended to be towards the dry side. But I have used it to scent things.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009 6:47:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2009 6:47:40 PM PST
MtnHarmony says:
Never thought about that. I do love oranges! I like using the leftovers in a simmering pot of water esp. with cloves in it. Really scents the house.
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009 7:06:31 PM PST
Anyone heard anything about Spry toothpaste? I have been using it for about a month and it seems to work fairly well. I also chew the gum. Both products contain xylitol, which was recommended by my dentist.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009 7:13:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2009 7:30:14 PM PST
MtnHarmony says:
I haven't looked into it. I have meant to. I do feel xylitol is good and try and get a toothpaste containing it for my son. I haven't found anything with 100% natural and healthy ingredients in my opinion but it's a start. Willhave to look at Spry.

I just looked into it and I will definitely be trying some xylitol! I will have to see all the ingredients in Spry b4 I buy but I might try it. I had no idea xylitol helped with sinuses too!!! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2009 7:11:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2009 7:36:29 AM PST
D.A Solomon says:
T.Turner You wrote :" Coconut-derived SLS is "all natural"

No is not, no product in the coconut will have a molecular mass capable of passing the skin barrier.Sodium lauryl sulfate go straight in your blood and accumulate in your organs and fat.

It is a mutagen... nothing to take with moderation really !!

You wrote : "Arsenic is all natural too but it doesn't make it good, right?"

I just posted an article on my site today about the huge amount of arsenic that you can find in your chicken.

Yes few people knows that chicken are feed also with Arsenic and it was not easy to find the information.

see : www.jmbblog.com

In few hours you can absorb a little bet of SLS and a little bet of chlorine, arsenic just to name a few...

MtnHarmony about xylitol..
it can kill your dog !! Don't feed anything with this chemical to your pets :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2009 10:01:31 AM PST
PJJ says:
A supermarket in England had a pamphlet a long time ago about additives.
As I looked through the list of additives and side effects it was scary but what really surprised me was it seemed like the natural additives if anything were WORSE than many of the artifical additives.
So yes, the catch phrase 'no artifical additives' doesn't mean anything to me either any more.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  70
Initial post:  Jan 20, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 12, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions