Customer Discussions > High Definition forum

Blu Ray is the better choice

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 178 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2007 9:48:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2007 9:56:11 PM PDT
LiLo says:
If you are looking to buy I would recommend much more investigation than this page. You will find that manufacturers and the majority of studios favor Blu-Ray. Many of the movies for Blu-Ray are cheaper which negate the additional costs of it's players. The format has 50 GB discs in production. This means more content including higher quality video and audio. Bigger is better.

If you have a family, Disney is a Blu-Ray only studio. You will not see their movies on HD-DVD. There are many more reasons but the best reason to buy this format is it will be around. The computer market is now selling 50GB Blu-Ray disc burners. This will lower prices (as it does for all computer parts), it will allow people to view movies on their laptops while away from home.

Search around and decide for yourself. Use logic, do not allow my comments or someone elses to decide which format is best. One HD format has room to expand (Blu Ray) and the other is lagging, struggling to catch up (HD DVD). Learn the facts yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 3:06:04 PM PDT
I agree because I have bought several players from both formats and Blu-ray is most definetely the way to go.

Far better players that actually function correctly without freezing up, and far more support of HD audio that is severely lacking on the hd dvd format.

There is a reason hd dvd players are generally cheaper, and that reason is because they are made cheaper.
People are reccomending boiling hd dvd discs in a pan of boiling water in order to get them to playback without issues.
Thats right "boiling them" which you can do a google search on.

The majority of the best looking and sounding HD releases are on Blu-ray only, and I have bought almost 175 titles to back this up.
If I were to reccomend an HD optical format, it would be Blu-ray hands down.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 4:06:50 PM PDT
Bret K says:
I agree completely with the two posts above. While I've heard that there is no disadvantage between the two players due to space, it is completely false. As we've seen with recent releases, HD DVD lacks the GB space to put the best quality audio on a disc. Blu-ray has sufficient space to put what's called PCM audio, which is completely uncompressed audio, and thus far the best quality audio out there.

Something else they don't tell you in the FAQ's about the difference between HD and BD is about the combo discs, a two-sided disc where one side plays HD format and the other plays standard definition. Yes, appears to be an advantage, except when you look at the cost. The combo discs drive up the cost to anywhere between $35-40, way more than the lower $20s you can find for Blu ray on Amazon.

Not only does Blu ray have better studio support, (Fox, Disney, Sony Pictures, MGM all exclusive to Blu ray vs. Universal, Dreamworks and Paramount for HD) it has better support from manufacturers. For instance, Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, Sony, and many others all produce Blu ray stand alone players. Toshiba is STILL THE ONLY COMPANY PRODUCING HD DVD PLAYERS! That says volumes I believe, when you have several well-known companies produce one format player, and a single company producing another. Throw that in with the FACT that HD DVD paid off Paramount ($150 million) to exclusively support their format when Blu ray was really pulling away from the pack.

So, better specifications, more upside, better studio support, and finally better company support make Blu Ray a much better choice than HD DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 7:50:08 PM PDT
Having both formats I have to say that HD-DVD is the superior format, it offers amazing picture and audio while also giving you all of the features we've come to expect from DVD's over the years and then some. I haven't seen anything on Blu-Ray that can compare to the top HD-DVD releases and with Paramount, DreamWorks and Universal all being HD-DVD exclusive all of the largest films, including the most popular films by Steven Spielberg, are only going to be available on HD-DVD. So if you plan on watching Jurassic Park, JAWS, ET, Transformers, Gladiator, Braveheart, Star Trek, Scarface, Shrek and many others in high def the choice is clear, HD-DVD is the only way to go.

And with HD-DVD's triple layer discs coming into mass production in 2008 HD-DVD will have a 1gb advantage over Blu-Ray as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 8:18:42 PM PDT
Bret K says:
Yes, and let's look at the facts further here. I know more people that want to watch the main feature opposed to the special features, and those special features on HD DVD come no where close to full HD (1080p resolution).

ALL OF STEVEN SPEILBERG'S releases are not exclusive to either format, even if he is a part of Paramount. The deal between Toshiba and Paramount COMPLETELY EXCLUDED ANY SPIELBERG FILM FROM BEING EXCLUSIVE. If fact his movie 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' is already slated to be released on Blu ray in Q4, or within the end of this year. This means the first three you have listed in movie list will not be exclusive to HD DVD. At the same token, any Disney movie (Disney is a firm supporter of Blu ray, and actually denounces HD DVD as a viable contended for next generation movie viewing), Spiderman (1,2,3), Pirates of the Caribbean, Fantastic Four, etc. (way too many to name on here) will be available to Blu ray exclusively.

And, you claim that the triple-layer will give HD DVD an advantage? I see the triple layer as simply catching up to Blu ray, so you are admitting that you are behind. As far as having one whole GB of space more than a double layer Blu ray disc, what does the consumer pay for a movie now? Let's use some logic here: a single layer disc (34 cents for DVD single layer) obviously the cheapest disc to produce, and dual layer discs ($1.20 cents for DVD dual layer) cost more than single layer discs. What happens when HD DVD produces a triple layer disc? The cost will be passed onto the consumer, quite a bit more per movie. Throw any price advantage that right now HD claims to be the most important (because it's the only thing HD DVD has over Blu Ray), because now the HD DVD movies cost $35-40 if it's not a DVD/HD DVD combo (as those are already more expensive).

Please, have some common sense and do a little research before you post garbage. IF HD DVD should happen to win this little format war, the consumers ultimately lose with an inferior product.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 10:10:01 PM PDT
LiLo says:
Everyone should note how the Blu Ray owners are asking potential buyers to do research while the HD DVD owners throw around false, misleading and confusing messages.

HD DVD is kept alive thanks to slick PR marketing schemes by both Toshiba and Microsoft. Toshiba gets a royalty off of every DVD sold. They are going to lose this royalty unless they sell consumers on HD DVDs.

Microsoft is trying to delay the adoption of High Definition media on the market. Microsoft has plans for High Definition media to be downloaded off of the internet. The technology for this will not be in place for several years.

Do you want to own a disc or do you want to have it on demand through Mircrosoft? Most people would prefer the disc.

How long will it take you to download 25GB-50GB worth of data? The answer is days. That's the problem Microsoft faces today.

That's why misinformed HD DVD owners regurgitate the false arguments given to them by Microsoft and Toshiba marketers. If you are looking to buy into HD media then educate yourself. You will conclude that Blu Ray is the best format available.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 10:34:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2007 10:35:54 PM PDT
It's sad to see HD DVD customers struggle to cough up logical answers as to why HD DVD is superior to Blu Ray. All which are ignoramus remarks with perpetual misleading conjured lies that they HOPE will catch the eye of a bewildered consumer.
Let's be realistic here, guys. Blu Ray is, without a doubt, a monster of a medium compared to HD DVD. Spielberg's titles coming exclusively to HD DVD? Spielberg is, personally, a backer of Blu Ray; hence the reason why his movies were not contracted with Paramount's/Dreamwork's deal with HD DVD.
It's not us being 'fanboys'. It's us knowing our facts. See, the difference between HD DVD fans vs Blu Ray fans is that HD DVD fans 'pretend' to know what they're talking about. Us Blu-boys KNOW what we're talking about. We do our homework and research what needs to be known. Blu Ray has more than a handful of movie studios backing it up whereas HD DVD has 3 (exclusively).
Do your research. As a consumer myself, it's not right for me to sit here and choose the best player for you. Which is why you shouldn't let anyone else do so either. Search the internet, look at the sales comparison charts, search for which studios have the best movies, check the amount of movies each format delivers on a weekly basis, then choose. But I can guarantee that Blu Ray will be the victor in any of those categories.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 10:54:32 PM PDT
I see blu-ray.com has "released the hounds."
Honestly, both formats can produce excellent quality HD movies. Less time should be spent bickering, and more time watching movies. Both formats have their advantages and disadvantages:
Blu-Ray: (advantages)
1. higher disc capacity and bandwidth
Blu-Ray: (disadvantages)
1. incomplete specs - some features or discs in the future may not play on current players.

HD DVD: (advantages)
1. More interactive features
2. Completed specs
3. Region free
4. mandatory internet connectivity
5. mandatory audio support of dolby digital plus and dolby truehd
6. combo discs that contain both the hd dvd and dvd movie
HD DVD (disadvantages)
1. smaller disc size and bandwidth (the 51 gb discs have been approved and will outsize the blu-ray's 50gb discs).

But the most important difference between the two is price. HD DVD players have always been at least 1/2 the price of blu-ray players. If you think this isn't important then look at the sales ranking for dvd players on amazon:
Toshiba HD-A2 #1 player among dvd players
Toshiba HD-A20 #4 player
Toshiba HD-XA2 #13 player ranked
Sony BDP S300 #29 player ranked

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 11:25:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2007 11:28:22 PM PDT
Heh. Those are the advantages, huh? (http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Industry_Forecasts/Forrester:_Format_War_is_Blu) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats#Technical_Details

Although HD DVD have 'mandatory Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TruHD" you are forgetting the bitrate comparison between the two in both video and audio where Blu Ray surpasses HD DVD. So let's take that out the picture.

Mandatory Internet Connectivity? Please tell me why I would want to be connected to the internet when I am watching a movie? If that's the case, I'd use my computer, my Xbox 360 or my PS3.

Combo discs are rediculous. Why would an HD consumer want to buy a double-sided disc when it is the HD side they want to see? It's more of a security measure the HD DVD camp is taking being that they're total sales to HD consumers is only 8% of the HD market; whereas Blu Rays has 92%. This is not necessarily a good thing, David. Seriously think about the logic in that before saying something so rediculous and posting this as an 'advantage'.

The reason HD DVD players are half the price of Blu ray players is because HD players are half as good. Toshiba is known for making bad players. I would rather spend the extra $200 bucks on a player that I know will last and will give me complete satisfaction rather than having to boil my HD movies in water to have them play. Let's not forget the fact that a lot of HD DVD players don't really output to 1080p natively, ok? Amazon can have high sales rankings for dvd players on amazon. But who has the majority of the world on their side? Think about it.

And in response to your rediculous 'I see blu-ray.com has "released the hounds."' comment, I am not part of that site. I am a consumer.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 11:35:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2007 11:35:55 PM PDT
S. Humpert says:
The above post by Eddie Papetti has at least two undeniable lies, and several things I question. In law, there is a saying "What do you think, what do you know, and what can you prove." The two lies listed below are things that can be proven and they are:

1. Spielberg has categorically denied Universal the rights to release his catalog films. The only, and I can't say that loudly enough, THE ONLY Spielberg movie to come to high def is Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and it is coming exclusively to Blue Ray

2. Triple layer HD-DVD discs are currently vapor ware, they simply do not exist. What the HD-DVD pundits are glossing over is that even if they are developed, none, again for emphasis, NONE of the current HD-DVD players will be able to play the third layer - NONE.

To anyone looking to buy into EITHER format, read through the lies, and find the truth for yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 11:41:13 PM PDT
S. Humpert says:
As for David Michael Scott's post, where he says that BD has released the hounds.... if you look, really look at the prevailing tone of the posts, the BD people are by and large saying, "do the research, see through the deception."

The HD-DVD people simply say "BD is inferior because" - and follow it up with partial truths, mis-information, and sometimes outright lies with the sole purpose of propagating fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 11:41:31 PM PDT
Reports I've seen is that ALL HD DVD players can play the third layer.....All. So who's spreading false information as fact?
Combo discs aren't red iculous.....I guess that was a pun (play on words for you BD kiddies).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 11:47:13 PM PDT
Partial truths? tell me in my analysis which isn't true?

Blu-Ray: (advantages)
1. higher disc capacity and bandwidth
Blu-Ray: (disadvantages)
1. incomplete specs - some features or discs in the future may not play on current players.

HD DVD: (advantages)
1. More interactive features
2. Completed specs
3. Region free
4. mandatory internet connectivity
5. mandatory audio support of dolby digital plus and dolby truehd
6. combo discs that contain both the hd dvd and dvd movie
HD DVD (disadvantages)
1. smaller disc size and bandwidth (the 51 gb discs have been approved and will outsize the blu-ray's 50gb discs).

But the most important difference between the two is price. HD DVD players have always been at least 1/2 the price of blu-ray players. If you think this isn't important then look at the sales ranking for dvd players on amazon:
Toshiba HD-A2 #1 player among dvd players
Toshiba HD-A20 #4 player
Toshiba HD-XA2 #13 player ranked
Sony BDP S300 #29 player ranked

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 11:54:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2007 11:56:33 PM PDT
S. Humpert says:
Propaganda does not count as "reports"

Post your link... here is mine.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33878/135/

The standard is not final, yet you claim to have seen reports that it is compatible?

Interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2007 11:56:04 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
I have both and prefer HD DVD, hands down. Blu-ray is a static content medium, it's basically a DVD with HD quality. HD DVD on the other hand is pretty much DVD 8.5, the immersive, engaging interactive features are simply outstanding. Blu-ray cannot produce this innovative experience found exclusively on HD DVD. I have 300 on both formats, video/audio I can't discern any difference but the advantage with HD DVD is the experience. I can share content with friends, with the community, view live movie clips others have created, save them. It's truly a community, an engaging unique experience that you can't find anywhere else.

That alone is revolutionary and the future. As an HD DVD consumer, I too encourage people to view the facts and research as I did. Many BD users love to tout 2:1 sales margin, but in a market that accounts for less than 1% of the industry; it doesn't really matter. The numbers are still too small to have any impact.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2007 12:01:04 AM PDT
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9776981-1.html

"The good news is that the 51GB discs should play in all HD DVD players currently on the market. We discussed this with James Armour from Toshiba's optical storage division at CeBIT this year"

is that good enough? took me two minutes to find. But I do agree that I will believe it when I see it. I did see other reports that say the 34gb twin discs will be announced soon (that's 34gb plus a dvd layer on the same side) no flipping discs.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2007 12:04:29 AM PDT
LiLo says:
Have you played any triple layer discs in your HD DVD player, David? There is no evidence your system can play the discs because they are not on the market.

Blu Ray has 50 GB discs in production and for sale currently on Amazon. All Blu Ray players will play the 50 GB discs. That is reality, there is no evidence that your player will work. You are trying to obfuscate facts.

There is no need to call anyone names, if you can not be respectful of others then no one will respect your comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2007 12:07:09 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
LiLo, has your player played any BD 1.1 discs? Have you successfully updated your firmware? If not, how do you or anyone know that it they will work?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2007 12:15:31 AM PDT
Lilo, S. Humpert asked:
Propaganda does not count as "reports"

Post your link... here is mine.

I then proceeded to post a link to a quote from Toshiba stating the 51gb discs will be compatible with all current players.
Nowhere have I called anyone a "name". I find your tone disrespectful. I responded to a question with an answer and a link. Reality is that Fox has delayed numerous 50gb blu-ray discs due to "manufacturing problems". Maybe 50gb disc production isn't going so well?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2007 12:21:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2007 12:25:21 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
I agree David. And about family entertainment, I admit there was a time when Disney reigned supreme as the King of all things family entertainment. Yet how the times have changed, Disney's Animation has been struggling (which subsequently lead to the closure of Feature Animation) and the last few animated features have bombed. The Pixar films have not been doing as well, which is not a good sign. Disney is not the sole family content provider, their monopoly long ended of late.

DreamWorks Animation features some of the biggest family films such as Shrek, Prince of Egypt, El Dorado, Madagascar, Antz, and more. Let's not forget WB's Happy Feet, The Ant Bully and more. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney but that alone is not a sole reason to switch or make a decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2007 12:46:11 AM PDT
If you want the best movies and biggest studios such as Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks, Warner, etc.. then go with HD DVD.

If you want players that cost half the price as Blu-Ray and offer more, such as interactive features and picture in picture commentary, then go with HD DVD.

Blu-Ray people claim that their format is better because their disks have more storage capacity and "potentially will equal better video and audio quality". The thing they can't do though is prove it. HD DVD has never had any disk space issues. Look at Troy directors cut released on Sep. 18. It has 34 minutes of more footage equaling a 196 minute long movie! TrueHD, DD+, improved picture and sound, the disc contains all of the bonus items found on the second disc of the SD Special Edition, wide screen theatrical trailer, and other extras on a single 30gb disk! This is the truth that Blu-Ray propagandists do not want you to know because in reality the twice as costly Blu-Ray players have no advantage and are in all actuality inferior to HD DVD.

And just to add insult to Blu-Rays injury, HD DVD is releasing a 51gb disk that holds 1gb more than Blu-Ray disks.

HD DVD is releasing $200 players this Christmas season. A price Blu-Ray will never match. These players will probably go for $150 sense the $200 is just the MSRP.

Blu-Ray doesn't have a standard spec used in all it's players. Today's Blu-Ray players will be obsolete tommorow and you will have to upgrade again to have all the features being released in the high definition media world. HD DVD was ready from the get-go.

So what does Blu-Ray have at all to offer? The answer is simply a hole in your pocket.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2007 12:51:16 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
Great post Josh, well put and I agree. Troy DC is a solid HD DVD release, gorgeous video and everything on one disc. About capacity, Alexander Revisited FC was released on two discs for both formats. Why didn't BD get a one disc?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2007 1:13:10 AM PDT
Thanks Jonathan.

It's funny that in Amazon's "HD DVD vs Blu-Ray" article, everything is factually accurate and true as it should be; but the Blu-Ray hounds are crying like they were done wrong as if they wanted thier FUD to be a part of the article.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2007 1:55:17 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
Yeah the article is factual, and will soon need to add the TL 51GB info.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2007 2:22:15 AM PDT
Indeed. The Blu-ray Disk Association has spread so much Fear Uncertainty and Doubt and has paid so many shills to do the same that now Blu-ray supporters are shocked when they see the truth.

I encourage all consumers to be educated. Check out the information, look at actual specs and product reviews and HD DVD is the clear choice. Some day perhaps months down the road when BD Profile 1.1 (PiP) is ready to roll and BD Profile 2.0 (Network Connection) is out Blu-ray will be capable of doing what HD DVD is doing now and has been doing since April of 2006.

Those are the facts. David's post above that lists the advantages and disadvantages of each format is 100% factual and true. Still don't take my word for it, do the research yourself and the veracity of David's post will make itself evident.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  High Definition forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  178
Initial post:  Sep 24, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 8, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions