Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Ty Dolla Sign egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on DOTD
Customer Discussions > Hip Hop forum

R.I.P to this forum?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 79 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 4:39:04 AM PST
Unspoken says:
Everyone's New Year's resolutions must have been quit forum!!! I have been just as guilty!!! Slow time of year for music as well, which is good, gives me a chance to catch up on music I been meaning to get to!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 5:24:33 AM PST
M. Clifford says:
Nah, I don't think this forum will die. Not as long as good new music keeps coming out, there will be stuff to talk about. I don't always post on here but I check it everyday. This is really the only active forum I can access at my job.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:47:44 AM PST
Alex says:
Haha, I'm with Clifford, it's the only forum I can access at my job as well. We only have access to maybe 4 sites, Best Buy, Amazon, Future Shop, and, and this is the only one that allows the forums. I have noticed it's been crazy dead though, perhaps due to lack of new albums in January.. but hell, we got a few:

Classified - Classified
Oh No - ?? Forget title
Stones Throw compilation
K-OS - Black on Blonde
Alzymerz - Methods of Madness

That's a few atleast, I also know ASAP Rocky released his, although I probably won't bother to hear it.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:22:30 AM PST
DL says:
I'm surprised this forum has been so dead. It dont even have to be about hip-hop. I'm surprised no one's talking NFL playoffs, NBA, or anything...

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 10:55:50 AM PST
Real217 says:
ASAP Rocky sucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 11:14:30 AM PST
Alex says:
I never actually heard the guy, but figured such... I seen an interview where he was with Rakim and going on about how much he respected him and was named after the guy, (i guess his real name is Rakim) although he appeared to be a fool on the station, and just turned me off, plus he is part of the mainstream rap scene which hasn't given me anything good in years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 12:45:25 PM PST
Real217 says:
Mainstream rap has good music in it. ASAP rocky just sucks as an artist.
Kendrick Lamar is mainstream, he's good.
J.Cole is dope.
Drake has skills, admit it or not.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:59:09 PM PST
A customer says:
Drake's wack.

This forum will be jumpin' again by the time the new Em album drops. It's like counting down to Christmas for me.

There were some threads I wanted to post. Maybe I'll up those in a little while.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:38:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:15:13 AM PST
I heard that ASAP Roc and its str8. Honestly never thought I would give it chance. Nothing original or mind blowing about it but not wack or medicore to me. Decent average album. I only heard it once so my opinion may change later.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:45:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:46:16 AM PST
Alex says:
How is "Decent average album" not "mediocre" that's my deffinition of mediocre, I gave him a listen last night after posting it, and honestly could not get into it for the life of me. I'm not a fan of Kendrick Lamar although 2 out of the 12 tracks on his album I did enjoy Art of Peer Pressure, and Real which is more than I can say for most mainstream artists, rest was pretty bad though imo. Concept was average at best. J. Cole's album that dropped in like 2010 imo had 1 good song, but that's it (Apologize I can't remember the name). As for Drake, never liked him, never heard anything of substance out of the guy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:12:52 AM PST
M. Clifford says:
Can't stand J.Cole or Drake. Kendrick to me is OK at best, but he really don't do it for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:42:46 AM PST
Top5DOA says:
J. Cole wasted all his good material on his mixtapes. His debut wasn't good at all. Same goes for Wale. Drake has some coo songs on his albums, but overall i'm not a fan ... Depends on my mood with him.

Kendrick Lamar's album was okay. I liked Ab-Soul's more. Same camp, which is why i compare the two.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:00:26 AM PST
Alex says:
Agree with these statements, although I wasn't a big fan of Ab-Soul's release either, and I'd probably say I liked Kendrick's more.. but the production was clearly better on Ab-Soul.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 10:22:36 AM PST
M. Clifford says:
Yea, I'm not feeling that whole young Cali movement much at all. I like Fashawn and Co$$ but that's about it for young kats out there. I prefer the Cali vets much more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:42:20 PM PST
How many of the Young California artists could you even honestly identify if you heard them on a track? These being the names on the roster: Tyga, Roach Gigz, Iamsu, CFOPA (Loverance, Skipper, Kool John), Kali Kash, YG, Young Bari, Aka Frank, Jay Ant, Bobby Brackins, Arkaydion, Smoovie Baby, Rico Dolla, Starting Six, Problem, WhoKid Woody, Syrup, Rayven Justice, Audio Push, Kid Ink, Sage The Gemini, Antidote, The Rangers, L!Z, TY$. I'm not claiming your statement was inaccurate (being your opinion and all), but if somebody played me a track w/90% of their roster kicking a verse on said track I wouldn't be able to pinpoint the artist good or bad. As far as I know Fashawn & Co$$ aren't part of Young California projects, but who knows...I think Clyde Carson & Ya' Boy are, and they've both been around.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:30:15 PM PST
D-Train says:
Speaking of Stone throws the word is that madlib left, My dude was kickin it with him a few weeks ago I guess PBW owes lib alot of loot and they've fallen on bad terms.....I heard lib is going to do his own thing while PBW just does funk stuff...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:35:27 PM PST
D-Train says:
Mainstream does have talent but very little in comparison to the underground......Trindad james is the # artist on MTV, personally he makes us look very bad if he is what we call talented that rap music is really in trouble...As a whole rap music is the worst it has ever been by far...

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:11:37 PM PST
A customer says:
We have no one to blame but ourselves for the current state of hip hop. Had we not supported music that flaunted material possessions in the 80's and 90's, it wouldn't be like this today. I say, if you're going to brag, brag about your skills on the mic, not your shiny accoutrements.

It's too late, now. I doubt we'll see a second golden age of hip hop in our lifetimes.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:46:35 PM PST
A silver age, perhaps?

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:52:32 PM PST
A customer says:
We'll be lucky to get a bronze age at this point.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 12:41:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 4:58:02 AM PST
Real217 says:

J.Cole >>5X> AB-Soul> Drake, Kendrick Lamar

And I agree, Cole wasted his good stuff on his mixtape, thats why people who listen to the album dont feel him. Ian, give him a chance, you might dig him. (Start with his mixtapes, 'Friday Night Lights' and the 'Come Up' i think, but its a little onthe laid back side) .As for Drake, i'm not a Drake fan, [hate that dude's voice], but Thank Me Later as an album was decent. Nothing mind blowing, but definitely not wack. "Take Care" was borderline R&B

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 12:54:45 AM PST
A customer says:
Cole's okay. No way in Hell is he better than Kendrick Lamar, but he's far from wack.

Drake, as a lyricist, is wack, and the nail in the coffin for Canadian imports. Nickelback, Bieber, Drake. That's three strikes, Canada. You're done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 1:08:34 AM PST
Real217 says:
Nickelback is wack? please dont tell me you're one of them bandwagon Nickelback haters. Those people irritate my white cells. "All the Right reasons" is a wack album? i give up.

Ian, how many J.Cole mixtapes have you listened to? because Kendrick doesnt even stand a chance lyrically when being compared. AB-Soul maybe.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 3:58:54 AM PST
Technosapien says:
Hip-hop is heading for another golden age, if you ask me. We've seen a lot of BS over the last decade, for sure, but I feel hip-hop is in a pretty good place right now, and I believe it's only gonna get better, and it's all thanks to artists like El-P, Aesop Rock, Danny Brown, Clear Soul Forces (if you haven't checked these dudes out, yet, you need to get on that), Illogic, Blueprint, Rob Sonic, Evidence, POS, Killer Mike, and a few more. These cats are putting out quality hip-hop, right now, with no signs of slowing down.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 6:57:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 7:57:27 AM PST
Kendrick is more original, creative, and more intersting on the mic than Cole. Cole may be (maybe) a better punchline lyricist than Kendrick but overall lyrically he's not on Lamar level.

I kinda agree w/ Techno that I see a new wave of better artist who have the chance to make some commercial noise. There are not many Trinidad James getting on as compared to how many Joey Bad$ss type rappers are getting on.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Hip Hop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Hip Hop forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions