Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD Kids Edition Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Hip Hop forum

Metaphors, Punchlines, and similies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 291 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 31, 2012 6:17:13 PM PDT
A customer says:
I'm on some mackin' s__t, time ta send a letter/
sayin' my Johnson's "Magic, trick", I'mma pen and tell her(/Penn & Teller)

Wow, I really like basketball puns today.

Posted on May 31, 2012 10:36:46 PM PDT
Real217 says:
"I keep hearts pumpin' like Reeboks""

You like that right? but thats a simple line, yet really witty. and if you think Jay-Z is simple, then you do not know Jay. anyway, i like wordplay period, witty is not the same as "cutesy" or dumbed down. complex can be witty. The wittier the more complex in itself if you get what i mean. I'm not even into Lil Wayne, his lines are too simple, but wordplay is wordplay.
The Nancy kerrigan line wasnt bad though.

The whole point of wordplay is being able to pass your message without explaining it. Thats where the skills come in. You can write cryptographic and encryptic lines all day, if nobody gets it then you have missed your aim. Its not so much as the complexity but the ability to make complexity appear uncomplicated, that is the genius of writing.

And to take a cue from someone, i meant draw inspiration, everybody learnt from somebody, it doesnt mean you should start writing like jay-Z, because in all honesty, you cant write like Jay-Z no matter how hard you try. Without Rakim, BDK, and Kool G rap, there would be no Eminem, Techn9ne, Elzhi, etc.

"And the only matrix i know is hoes after april" .(Copywrite). Now thats witty.

and Michael Bay's audience and David Cronenberg's audience are not the same, Michael Bay is hyper high school kids, while David Cronenberg is more adult horror fanatics. They dont even make the same kind of movies. Apples and Oranges.

Posted on May 31, 2012 11:24:45 PM PDT
A customer says:
Well said. Jolly good. I agree with what you've posited. The ability to be at once complex and accessible is a rare gift, indeed. My problem is, I'm selfish. I write to challenge and amuse myself, not other people. That's why I'm a construction worker and Jay-Z is Jay-Z. Not to mention, he's exponentially more talented than me. Say "la vee". Say it!!

That's exactly my point about Bay and Cronenberg, by the way, that they appeal to different audiences. It just so happens that one of those audiences dwarfs the other in size. Apples and oranges? More like apples and dragon fruit.

For the record, I never said Jay-Z is simple. He's a lyrical genius.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 6:03:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 6:21:00 AM PDT
Real217 says:
"My problem is, I'm selfish"

Well, in most cases i'd rather listen to the artist writing for himself because i think he'd be more inclined to bare his heart or put in his best through various emotions. I'm more intrigued in understanding the WHY, why do they write that way? why do they think that way? why did they used that word instead of that word? I honestly like figuring stuff out but i'm probably not good at it. I hate crossword puzzles though. My dad used to MAKE them. funny.

"For the record, I never said Jay-Z is simple. He's a lyrical genius."

Fair enough.

"More like apples and dragon fruit"

lol, i dont know where you come up with these things.

"Lets see how SMART you are when the CANINES come/ i got 99 PROBLEMS but a CHTIB aint one/...

^HOV.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 2:04:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 2:15:01 AM PDT
Real217 says:
Cute young and obnoxious/
Any A.G.G.I.N offended got skid marks in front of their boxers/...Vakill

"only y.s.s.u.p getting through these bars are conjugal visits...Vakill

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 2:14:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 12:56:26 AM PDT
Real217 says:
"And if Obama gets shot, there'd be more blood in crackers than the ingk.uf communion allows"...Vakill.

"my flow is God's relic in essence/ why in the c.k.u.f is you zaggin testing/with a delicate pressing/
I can blow you to maggot delicatessen"...Vakill (just love the flow)

"Like a Debo and Biggie staredown, we'll never see eye to eye"..Vakill

Funny dude.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 10:44:44 PM PDT
Real217 says:
"Told my girl she was gnickuf amazing, i wasnt giving her the compliment" ...copywrite

"Heavy is the head that wears the crown/ so i speak my mind and shed some pounds/and make light of the situations"...Vakill
"...out the kitchen with dope and cane underneath/born with a silver spoon with a flame underneath"....Vakill

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 3:31:08 PM PDT
"Dissin' Vakill's like, tryin' to purchase psusy with coupons/ cause you got a lot of hard work cut out for you/ what I'm about to do, full blown audio massacre/ breathtakin' ish, snatch wind from your cardiovascular"

And to plug some of mine...

'...make a heist, riggin' three dice rollin' four fives/ get your sixes and sevens ate up, like Tech N9ne's'
'Shaun is like, havin' no faith in the afterlife/ like Christopher Wallace...'
'Exit from within, when I'm pickin' up the pen/ and that means I'm raisin' bars, too, the sentences end'
'I heard Suboxone tastes like gettin' rocked by boxing tape/ And I don't like transparent scotch or cardboard so detox can stay/ I let the toxin's in to make my mental box inflate/ It overpopulates, my stock is risin' like adoption rates'

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 3:32:24 PM PDT
""Told my girl she was gnickuf amazing, i wasnt giving her the compliment" ...copywrite"

lmao. Copywrite is that dude

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 12:44:20 AM PDT
Real217 says:
yeah, that was funny.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 7:48:16 AM PDT
Real217 says:
Ok, Vakill has officially gone into my top 15 greatest rappers all time.. One more album as good as the previous and he'd make it up 3 spots.

"You aint got the right clique to save azz" .....(the confirmation)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 2:31:56 PM PDT
"Your name is contradictin' like Robin Givens..."

Access Immortal

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 9:11:43 PM PDT
A customer says:
"keep a grip just like a Python"
- Big Daddy Kane.

So simple, yet so effective. A gem of a double pun.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 2:43:34 PM PDT
Top5DOA says:
"I do everything my Pen(n) State, like a Nittany Lion"
-Joell Ortiz

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 4:06:13 PM PDT
I always liked that one. Joell has a few good ones on the pre-album Slaughterhouse tracks.

'I look at all you cats and laugh/ cause I'm the ish man and y'all ain't even passin' gas"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 4:20:59 PM PDT
I would say Apathy's 1000 Grams off Eastern Philosophy is one of my favorite tracks for wordplay. So fun to listen to.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 12:52:12 AM PDT
Real217 says:
"Even if I was married to your mum, you still couldn't step, son"...Mode9

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 9:12:02 AM PDT
"Well in these times, well at least to me
There's a lot of rappers out there tryin' to sound like Jay-Z
I'll help you out, here's what you do
You gonna need a wide lens 'cause that's a verr' big shoe
And you got a couple of beans and you don't have a clue
You situation is bleek, I'm a keep it real 'cause
***kin' with me, you gotta drop a mil
'Cause if you gonna cop somethin' you gotta cop f'real"

Jay is one of the best when it comes to rhymes with double meanings.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 9:40:22 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 12, 2012 9:40:57 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 11:11:24 AM PDT
I respect punchline battle style heavy lyricist but I think reality/poetic lyricist get overlooked too much:

It's like the ghetto's got a heart and a soul, a mind of it's own
A hunger for a young cat to die 'fo he grown
A lust for a young girl to slide down a pole
She's always fallin' short on her goals
The street life is cold, it's either win or lose or you fold
Money is the root to all evils what I was told
When everything you thought you'd believed in was a hoax
You put your faith in front of those demons
And when the smoke clears, the truth appear
The fight for your life, the struggles of a wrong versus right
And wrong won, a song sung in the keys of reality
When death crosses your path, blood shed tragically
So automatically you come to a close and realize
That no matter what we key to the codes
I seen the hood swallow m********as whole
Then s*** them out in the system, ain't never make it home, that I know

SCARFACE - SOLDIER STORY

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 9:55:50 PM PDT
Real217 says:
^I know why he did that verse, lol because i think he wanted to show he could do what Nas did during that beef:

"Hit the FREEWAY and shoot thru MEMPHIS with money bags/stop in philly order cheesesteaks and eat BEANS fast/"...NAS

^can never forget that, dope.

They are called puns and double entendres. NOBODY, let me say it again, NOBODY can do it the way Jay does it. Thing is he comes up with them even in party songs or songs that are not that "serious". [and he doesnt write this down, he writes in his head]. I dont see much skill better than that.

"Like I walk with a cane, aint no half steppin"...Jay-Z

1-With my cocaine, i dont cut it too much(i dont deal half-azzed coke)
2-Even if i walked with a literal cane, i still dont limp (i still dont slack)
3- Big Daddy kane had a song "Aint no half steppin"

Show me someone else that can do that, like that.

I'll wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 9:57:48 PM PDT
Real217 says:
"I respect punchline battle style heavy lyricist but I think reality/poetic lyricist get overlooked too much:"

^^For the same reason that 95% of the time i make a list of best rappers all time, TUPAC is #1, right in front of JAY-Z.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 10:21:51 PM PDT
Real217 says:
I completely agree. Thats a skillful line. I'm pretty sure most people would think he's just talking about the snake, or that he didnt notice the other connection. He knows what he is doing. I always refer to Big Daddy kane as the father of punchlines, i dont see anybody that said the kinds of things he said that early on.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 9:14:46 AM PDT
"^^For the same reason that 95% of the time i make a list of best rappers all time, TUPAC is #1, right in front of JAY-Z."

Yeah man give me those type of rappers all day. Its the reason Scarface is my fav of all time and Pac is my number 2. Then the other 3 are Jay, Nas, and Cube. I luv reality rappers or rappers that write from the heart. I also luv rappers that write from the mind but I lean a tad more the other way.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 1:20:45 PM PDT
michael says:
I dip a bullet in syrup and you can OD on chopped and screwed bullets, competition dies slowly

- Chamillionaire
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Hip Hop forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  291
Initial post:  Mar 9, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions