Customer Discussions > Historical Fiction forum

Historical novels about William and Mary of England and Queen Anne

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 20, 2008 2:16:52 PM PDT
I enjoy novels about actual kings and queens. Can anyone recommend fiction books about William and Mary and their successor Queen Anne of England? No Jean Plaidy please. Am looking for something with more depth. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2008 8:24:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2008 1:25:22 PM PDT
Selene says:
As usual Jean Plaidy comes up trumps. She's written 2 about William and Mary
"William's Wife" by Jean Plaidy. A novel about Mary from Plaidy's "Queens of England" series.
"The Three Crowns" by Jean Plaidy is a novel about James II, William and Mary from Plaidy's Stuart Saga series.

"I Will Maintain" by Marjorie Bowen is the first in a trilogy of novels about King William III and Queen Mary II. Followed by "Defender of the Faith" and "For God and King".

Jean Plaidy again
"The Haunted Sisters" by Jean Plaidy. Novel about Queen Anne and her sister, Mary II.
"The Queen's Favourites" by Jean Plaidy. Novel about Queen Anne's relationships with her close friends Sarah Churchill and Abigail Hill.

More about Queen Anne's Favorite, Sarah Churchill
"Duchess: A Novel of Sarah Churchill" by Susan Holloway Scott. Novel about a close friend of Queen Anne who became politically powerful and amassed an immense personal fortune.

Queen Anne also makes an appearance in Diana Norman's novel, "Shores of Darkness", an adventure which features a plot against the Queen.

*Edit
Oops! Just noticed that you mentioned NO Jean Plaidy! I'm afraid she's the only one that I know of who has written much fiction about the Stuart sisters.

If you enjoy reading about royalty, you might like to check out this link:
The World of Royalty website:
http://www.royalty.nu/royal/books.html
This is the section for books about English royalty:
http://www.royalty.nu/Europe/England/index.html#books
There are lists of both fiction and non-fiction titles of interest about each royal dynasty, though they didn't have any more suggestions about Queens Mary and Anne than the ones I'd already given you. You might find you need to go to non-fiction for more depth.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 1:30:11 PM PDT
Could you tell me if these are written in "story" form or in the first person(diary) form? I just can't get into books written in the first person

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 12:40:51 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 12, 2011 12:42:15 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 12:43:05 PM PDT
Gavin says:
Hello! I can tell you that you're in for some good news here:

My wife, who is a guide at Kensington Palace, is in the process of meticulously researching the lives of Willam and Mary and many of their contemporaries in order to write a detailed and accurate work of historical fiction about them. It seems to me that her forthcoming novel, will plug a hole in the historical fiction genre. I have read extracts and it's shaping up to be highly intriguing and entertaining (it's written in the third person). What impresses me most, however, is certainly her research. She is determined to make the novel as historically accurate as can be managed with the available documents and she is doing primary research, uncovering some obscure and (she tells me) surprising information.

You can follow Andrea Zuvich at http://www.andreazuvich.com and http://www.twitter.com/andreazuvich and be updated as to when the novel will be released.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:11:29 PM PST
Deborah says:
Marjorie Bowen's trilogy on William and Mary is not written in first person

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:37:35 PM PST
Deborah says:
I'll be looking forward to her novel! I've been very interested in William and Mary for years. I loathe Jean Plaidy's novels because her William and Mary are just caricatures of Jacobite propaganda. Other than Marjorie Bowen's trilogy, the only other novel I've ever read about William and Mary is "The Queen's Husband" by Samuel Edwards. I fear it's full of historical inaccuracies. I find it quite funny that the William in that novel was blond, stocky and spoke perfect English since William was dark, skinny and spoke English with a heavy Dutch accent. It would be wonderful to read a novel about this couple that is historically accurate. Her primary research sounds especially fascinating.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Historical Fiction forum (805 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Need help remembering the title and/or the author 3 1 day ago
Matthew Corbett: getting more and more expensive? 0 9 days ago
Can anyone recommend older authors of historical adventures 61 13 days ago
Historical Fiction WWII 251 13 days ago
Looking for books where main male and female characters have viewpoints consistent with time period they live in? 3 28 days ago
What historical novel are you reading now? 366 Sep 22, 2014
African history 5 Aug 25, 2014
Please Help! YOUR OPINION: Best Historical Fiction that moves effortlessly between the past and the present?! 2 Aug 17, 2014
Historical Fiction set during the Revolutionary War 35 Aug 14, 2014
Any Multi-Generation Novel Recommendations? 30 Aug 14, 2014
Looking for historical fiction about New York City 56 Jul 27, 2014
Keywords 0 Jul 11, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jul 20, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions