Customer Discussions > Historical Fiction forum

Is there any good pirate fiction out there ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 72 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2008 11:06:10 PM PDT
K. L. Wells says:
Is there any good pirate fiction out there besides,of course,Treasure Island ? And I do mean Caribean pirates of the 18th century,not modern day or any other periods.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2008 11:24:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2008 1:07:04 PM PDT
Selene says:
You might like "MAD MORGAN" by Kerry Newcomb
A swashbuckler about the life and times of Henry Morgan, the legendary C17th pirate.
Mad Morgan

Rafael Sabatini "CAPTAIN BLOOD", first published in 1922, but still in print.

F. van Wyck Mason "CUTLASS EMPIRE" (1949)

John Steinbeck's 1926 novel "CUP OF GOLD' is also based on the life of Henry Morgan

Nicholas Griffin, "THE REQUIEM SHARK"
"Treasure Island" for adults
The Requiem Shark

These are set in the early C18th, but in the American Colonies, off the coast of Virginia- plenty of action and a good read
James L. Nelson
"BRETHREN OF THE COAST" trilogy
1. The Guardship
http://www.powells.com/biblio/2-9780380804528-3
2. The Blackbirder
3. The Pirate Round

Nearly forgot George MacDonald Fraser's funny, outrageous C!7th swashbuckler extraordinaire
"PYRATES"
The Pyrates: A Swashbuckling Comic Novel by the Creator of Flashman

Just for fun, a piece of a poem from a book called "Captain Morgan Sails the Caribbean", written in 1934 by Berton Braley:

"This is the ballad of Henry Morgan / Who troubled the sleep of the King of Spain / With a frowsy, blowsy, lousy pack / Of the water rats of the Spanish Main, / Rakes and rogues and mad rapscallions / Broken gentlemen, tattermedallions / Scum and scourge of the hemisphere, / Who looted the loot of the stately galleons, / Led by Morgan, the Buccaneer."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2008 11:48:26 AM PDT
Lance Oren says:
If you want a really good read try the newly released Huracán. It contains it all. I was really impressed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2008 3:09:35 PM PDT
K. L. Wells says:
Thanks,Selene.Don't know why I didn't think of Sabatini's"Captain Blood'.I don't know how faithful it is to the novel,but Flynn's movie is my ALL-TIME FAVORITE pirate flick.
I guess I should've included the 17th century as weel as the 18th in my request.Thanks for a good starting point.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2008 4:07:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2008 4:13:00 PM PDT
Selene says:
HI K.L. Yes, the heyday of the Caribbean pirates was really over by the mid-C18th. Maybe we're due for some modern pirate novels - most of the fiction around is older stuff, apart from historical romances of the bodice-ripping variety, where pirates still make a frequent appearance!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2008 6:56:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 21, 2008 11:37:57 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 8:56:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 25, 2008 3:11:50 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2008 8:11:46 AM PDT
M. Armour says:
If you are interested in pirate history, you should check out some of James Michener's novels. Particularly "Caribbean" which has to some large extent Caribbean pirate stories....it's a good read, very interesting.

I'm also a fan of Sara Donati whose second novel "Dawn on a Distant Shore" has some pirate storyline that is fun. She's more of a historical romance novelist and I'm not a romance novel fan but her books are more history than romance and are a very good read. All of her books are family saga if you like that kind of thing.

Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2008 5:14:05 AM PST
LadyNeal says:
My novel, Dido's Prize, has a strong romance element but the main plot is based on Henry Morgan's expeditions to Cuba and Porto Bello. Most of the action is based on Exquemelin's book so it's historically accurate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2008 5:49:56 AM PST
Hamstead says:
I can recommend Helen Hollick's Sea Witch and the follow up Pirate Code.
There is a slight fantasy element but they're rollicking good reads. She had to self publish them when her agent and editor told her there was no call for pirate fiction - go figure!

Posted on Feb 6, 2009 1:28:46 PM PST
sailor says:
Thank you for all the good info on the Pirate books, I love them pirate stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 1:06:10 AM PST
David Castle says:
I had to write to the Sabatini Foundation when I used Captain Peter Blood and 'The Sea Hawk' in 'The Adventures of Michael Fane' Warners Bros are making a remake of Captain Blood in 2012 - my book has been submitted to them. I have just finished 3 & 4 which also feature the Pirate Bold. So yes, there is a new one out there. And it's getting great reviews despite being only weeks old on Amazon

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 1:50:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2009 1:51:23 PM PST
H. Buning says:
Try "On Stranger Tides", by Tim Powers. An unlikely book, it fits the
description of 'pirate fiction' to a T, and is a great read, besides.
Arrrrr!

Posted on Feb 9, 2009 3:13:26 PM PST
G. Jackson says:
Raised by Wolves: The Brethern - 2nd book of the series: Matlots - 3rd: Treasure. By W.A. Hoffman. I love historical/pirate fiction and these are the best books I've ever read and I'm and avid reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 3:49:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2009 3:50:40 PM PST
sailor says:
David Castle, so you actually write Pirate novels? What is the names of your books and when can we look forward to reading them? Soon I hope.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2009 12:48:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2009 12:48:59 AM PST
David Castle says:
I cannot resist this 'Hello Sailor' 'The Adventures of Michael Fane' by David Castle. It's based (unlike the dreadful 'Son of Captain Blood' on The Monmouth Rebellion and how Michael and Peter are chained together in Taunton Castle and the horrors of Judge Jeffreys and The Bloody Assize - I've reintroduced 'The Sea Hawk' and have added Samuel Pepys who was a central character at that time and supported Naval activities. Cheers David

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2009 2:51:02 PM PST
sailor says:
Too funny David. Good thing I'm a girl...I couldn't imagine you saying that otherwise. Ha.

I will have to look your book up, I suppose it's here on Amazon? I am new here so it takes me awhile to figure things out, this is the first thread I am actively reading cause I love the ocean and anything to do with it so it caught my eye. This book sounds really good, I will check it out.

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 1:01:25 AM PST
David Castle says:
Hi Sailor, yes it's on Amazon, the .com has the reviews and it's blog is www.newhistoricalfictionbooks.co.uk

Cheers and thanks for looking David

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 8:09:55 AM PST
BobotheChimp says:
For frighteningly accurate pirate adventure that has a creepy subtext about the nature of redemption and evil through the manipulation of time, you must read Pirate Freedom by Gene Wolfe, the greatest living American author.

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 3:35:50 PM PST
Ann M. Wild says:
Hey K.L. Here's a list of great pirate stories. The f or nf after each title signifies if it is fiction or fact : 'the curse of treasure island' frances bryan (f}/the guardship (f)/the blackbirder(f) the pirate round (f) all by James L nelson/the privatee (f) snarleyyow (f) by capt. frederick marryat/porto bello gold (f) by A.D Howden Smith/the only life that mattered(f)by james l. nelson/kingston by starlight (f) by christopher john farley/blackbeard, real pirate of the carribean (nf) by dan parry/the mammoth book of pirates (f/ nf)edited by john e. lewis/if a pirate i must be (nf) by richard sanders/a general history of pirates (nf) by capt. charles johnson/captain blood (f) and the sea hawk (f) by raphael sabatini/pyrates (f) by george macdonald fraser/a gigantic book of pirates (f/nf) edited by steve brennan----all of these are very worthwhile and all to my knowledge are still in print. So g'wan and set sail.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2009 11:07:03 PM PST
Gwenivere says:
I read and loved a book called "Ironfire" Take place mostly around Malta and Turkey, they were muslim Pirates of those days, it's fasinating book, written by a David Ball, if I remember rightly it starts in the middle of the 1500s during the times of the Crusades

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2009 10:15:09 PM PST
Hot off the press (in late May 2009) my historical novel---MASTER OF THE SWEET TRADE: A story of the pirate Samuel Bellamy, Mariah Hallett, and the Whydah. Lots of research---thanks in part to the Whydah Project in Provincetown, Mass (Cape Cod); local folklore and legends (I live on Cape); a healthy respect for history; and imagination. I've tried to make Sam and Co. living, breathing people, and not pirate caricatures. Please stay tuned---

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2009 6:33:39 AM PST
Ben F. Clark says:
Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini is the best pirate-fiction book that I ever read.

Posted on Feb 14, 2009 8:14:56 PM PST
_On Stranger Tides_ by Tim Powers and _Captain Blood_ by Rafael Sabatini

Posted on Feb 14, 2009 9:32:04 PM PST
How about the great granddaddy of all pirate books: A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pyrates by Captain Charles Johnson, published in two volumes in 1724 and 1728. Scholars believe these books were written by Daniel Defoe, using Johnson as a pen name. Defoe almost single-handedly invented pirate violence and cruelty in his "biographies" of Low and Teach, for example; while at the same time created the postitive myth of pirates as virtuous outlaws. Samuel Bellamy's Robin Hood-like "Free Prince" speech is an example of this attack on the hypocrisy and injustice of English society.
Part fact, part fiction, these books were best sellers in their time, and became prime reference material for Stevenson, Sabatini, and many others over the centuries.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  Jun 30, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 6, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions