Customer Discussions > Historical Fiction forum

Sexy, racy, historical fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 13, 2013 2:18:46 AM PST
Gore Vidal's Caligula: A Novel Based on Gore Vidal's Original Screenplay , by William Howard

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 9:18:31 PM PST
VATNDigger says:
Just finished reading a "steamy" book that you might like, The Pirate Captain, Chronicles of a Legend.
It is a realistic view of the world of pirates in 1755 an adult story.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 12:48:56 AM PST
Benoibe says:
I have read The Diary of Cozette by Amanda McIntyre. It is excellent! If anyone likes audiobooks, it really comes to life with Ashford Mcnab as narrator.

And there is a great ending.

One of my first historical fiction with erotic undertones. Not erotica, but a truly fine historical of the limits and opportunities of women. Cozette chooses her path and discovers her sexuality.

High recommend!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008 10:47:07 PM PST
well, it took a month! but I finally got thru your book - well, almost. I love big, thick books with a story that goes on forever, and yours promised all that - especially, from your post I am replying to. BUT, frankly - the romance, lust, whatever dealt with horses! I was enjoying the story until right after WWI -even w/o the HOT stuff you teased with! I finally admitted to myself that I was plowing thru the pages by then. I am truly appreciative and amazed at the research you must have done, but all the names, etc. started to run together by WWI, and I was losing track. It went from a promising historical western epic to a history book about the peoples and events in the area you were writing about. I believe the initial history was a story and could be made more interesting by your ability to make the Indians/tribes/the whites'/soldiers dealings alive to the reader. After a certain point, the story stopped and the facts started. Now, I see you have many, many great reviews from other readers, so my opinion is just that, my opinion. I have never claimed to be an intellectual and I read mostly for pleasure. I admire your tenacity and hard work done on this book - but am a little irked that you touted your book as "sexy and racy" which is what this forum is about. So, nuts to you, sir, for leading me on just to sell a book!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2008 2:06:43 PM PST
The first two books in Diana Gabaldon's series (starting with "Outlander" and continuing to "Dragonfly in Amber") are what a friend described as "the thinking woman's bodice-ripper" and I agree! (Series set in 1700s, premise is an American woman in the 1940s walks between two monolithic standing stones near Inverness and walks out into the 1700s.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2008 9:06:56 PM PST
R. Boadway says:
Try The Innocent by Posie Graeme-Evans (King Edward IV era). It's not about prostitutes, but there are some pretty graphic sex scenes. Overall, a good book, but I found the nature of the sex scenes a little out of place.
I, too, have always enjoyed books based on 17th/18th/19th century English prostitutes. I've read the three books you mentioned (years ago) and Slammerkin remains one of my favorites. The Dress Lodger, however, was a little strange.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2008 11:45:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2008 12:30:41 PM PST
The jonquil says:
Yes. The Quincunx, The Historian, Raptor, Thje Gormenghast (?) trilogy.Great big arcane tomes. The Gormenghast Trilogy by Myrvyn Peake is indescribable in its scope, characterization and stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2008 9:21:31 AM PST
Dover Fan says:
Thanks for the tip, Esme....just started THE BOOK OF AIR AND SHADOWS by Michael Gruber...perhaps after that...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2008 5:55:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2008 8:09:21 AM PST
Esme says:
Pop and Courtly Clerk

Have you read The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson? I love this new author. Started reading it in B&N and had to buy it. Give it a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2008 2:55:53 PM PST
Twister says:
Hi Courtly Clerk,
Yes it was my first book. It took me seven years to research. Thanks for asking.
Sam

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2008 11:48:02 AM PST
HI Nikki
I am thrilled to see this thread! What you've just described is the premise of my debut erotic historical from Harlequin Spice (not your mother's Harelquin, oh no.;)

It is precisely what you have described, set in England in the mid to late 19th century. HIstory is riddled with wonderful fodder from which to create stories of passion and romance and even passion and satisfying endings<G>

Do you prefer the happily ever after's in your fiction or can it be a satisfying conclusion?

I humbly invite you to check out the description and excerpt here at BN.com. Just search DIARY OF COZETTE by Amanda McIntyre

Welcome to the new breed of racy historicals!!

A. M.
www.amandamcintyre.net

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2008 6:21:48 AM PST
Thanks,Pop. Yes, still and ALWAYS will be reading. And, as you can see - what subject!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2008 5:36:22 AM PST
Dover Fan says:
Greetings, Courtly Clerk,

Long time, no post....how are you? Still reading like the rest of us fiends?

Good to see your name,
Hope all is well with you and yours,
Best,
Pop

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2008 10:27:17 PM PST
Sounds delish! You wrote it??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2008 5:23:28 PM PST
Twister says:
Where the Rivers Run North; A true Story of a Lakota that runs off with another mans wife. The son of an English Lord who has a torrid affair with a Courtesean called the Queen of Miles City and a Wyoming world champion Bronc rider who elopes with Sally Rand ( the 1930's eqivelant to Madonna) while he is still married to another womanGive it a try

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2008 8:24:02 AM PST
kgcummings says:
Hello, I've written a historical fiction novel series based in the Vietnam Era. The title of the first book in the series is The Wind Whispers War.
I would appreciate your feedback as to whether it is sexy enough!
Sincerely, kgcummings... Kathy

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2008 5:15:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2008 5:17:55 PM PDT
Hi Nikki,

My new book, The Disorder of Longing (from Putnam-available here on Amazon), is most definitely racy. It's set in Victorian-era Boston, and revolves around the passions of the young wife of an obsessive orchid collector. Check it out!

The Crimson Petal and the White is one of my favorite books!

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2008 7:55:27 AM PDT
This response is a little old to the post but I have 3 kids that absolutey love to ready. They are 13, 11 and 6. I hope they do not lose this as they get older. I never read as a child but the first book I read on my own was The Journeyer and I have been hooked ever since. Maybe it just skips a generation??

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2008 12:46:59 PM PDT
Selene says:
Pop - I fit in a bit of posting before and after work, though it's sometimes a bad idea when there are so many other things I really should be doing, and dinner gets burnt yet again!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2008 12:26:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2008 12:44:57 PM PDT
Selene says:
D A Ristow, I've just been reading "As Meat Loves Salt", and while I agree that it's an excellent novel, I didn't find it at all sexy. Jacob, the main protagonist, is almost psychopathic and I can't find sex powered by black rage and obsessive jealousy turns me on. Jacob is completely egocentric, and is cold-bloodedly prepared to destroy anyone who thwarts his desires or stands in his way -- a very scary character!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2008 7:18:58 AM PDT
Dover Fan says:
Hi there,
Been reading these posts....the Tudors are really cool...
How do you feel about the Plantagenets?

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2008 7:09:30 AM PDT
Nikki says:
I LOVE The Tudors! After reading a ton of books on the era, it's nice to be able to put moving pictures to the stories in my head.

I'll pick up "The Dark Queen" next!
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2008 7:07:03 AM PDT
SheofDC says:
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time ever posting but the title of the thread caught my eye. I finished "The Dark Queen" last night and LOVED it, so have written down the dozen or so titles you've all recommended in this string. I wasn't able to read for enjoyment for a long time as I was an undergrad, grad student, and then law student for a cumulative 9 years. But now that my eyes have recovered from all that studying I can enjoy books again. Have any of you been watching 'The Tudors'? My girlfriends and I are now obsessed with historical fiction because of that series. If none of you have read "Labyrinth" by Kate Moss I highly recommend it. Thanks again for all of the advice on the next stack of books for me to pick up.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2008 6:20:41 AM PDT
Dover Fan says:
Ouch, Big Brother is watching....don't you hate that? Although I can understand an employer's reasoning, the feeling of someone looking over my shoulder is a little scary.
The Internet is a fact of life....and since so many businesses cannot function without email the Internet is only a click away and people will be people....temptation and all.
So when do you answer all of these posts?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2008 8:26:42 PM PDT
Selene says:
Pop, I'm jealous- at work we are monitored by the IT Dept, and woe and betide anyone not sticking to work-related subjects! However my son who works as a graphic artist has free licence to use the internet as he likes (as long as he gets his work done!) and I've noticed that a lot of computer-based businesses are quite generous like that.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Historical Fiction forum (808 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  May 9, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions