Customer Discussions > Historical Fiction forum

Please share accurate Lincoln historical fictions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 23, 2012 6:15:16 PM PDT
Lynn Blick says:
My bookclub has decided to read books on Lincoln because of the new Speilberg movie release.
We can read fiction or nonfiction. I prefer my history in fiction form and so I am asking for suggestions of great historical fiction books on Lincoln ( or Mary) that have been well researched, are accurate and that read well.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 4:28:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 4:29:20 PM PDT
Selene says:
I thought Barbara Hambly's novel The Emancipator's Wife quite good, with a reasonably sympahetic and balanced look at Mary Todd Lincoln.
There's a review here which also lists some useful related non-fiction titles about MTL.
http://www.cwbr.com/index.php?q=3312&field=ID&browse=yes&record=full&searching=yes&Submit=Search

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 5:12:36 AM PST
Lynn, sorry I didn't see your post sooner but this is one of the better Lincoln books I've read, and I've read a ton of them: Freedom: A Novel of Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War

It's unfortunately out of print but there should be plenty of used copies available and it's worth the effort to look for them and to read this book.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:30:03 AM PST
Happyone says:
I'll second the recommendation of Freedom - Really good book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:28:17 AM PST
Lynn Blick says:
Thanks so much. I am reading The Lincoln Letter which is a historical fiction, mystery. A friend suggested it and said it was fairly accurate, as far as the facts of the time were concerned-- but of course not the mystery part.
I will look for Freedom. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 1:50:05 PM PST
I'm not sure if you are interested in a fascinating Mary Lincoln novel, about Mrs. Lincoln's insanity trial. I am the author of A Warrant for Mrs. Lincoln which can be found at A Warrant For Mrs. Lincoln I would be happy to present to your book group by telephone.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 6:23:13 PM PST
Lynn Blick says:
I'll check it out. We are all reading different Lincoln books so a discussion of your book probably wouldn't work. Thanks anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:10:35 AM PST
accurate and history are an oxymoron

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:37:29 AM PST
Lynn Blick says:
You could say that but, I want my dates, events and outcomes as accurate as an excellent researcher can provide. All history is open to debate and dependent on the original teller. Some historians, as we know from our many classes in school, are more accurate than others.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Historical Fiction forum (809 discussions)

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Oct 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions