Customer Discussions > Historical Fiction forum

Historical Fiction of the American West

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 9, 2012 3:17:00 PM PST
Mark says:
I am looking for some recommendations on Historical Fiction of the American West/Southwest. I have read a lot of the standards but I am always looking for more as well as some more recent books. Thank you for your assistance.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 9:09:09 PM PST
Badger Thurston and the Runaway Stagecoach (Volume 2)Badger Thurston and the Cattle Drive A new series, set in 1910 in the intermountain West. The series takes a few dramatic liberty, but stays true to the history. Just a suggestion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 10:45:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012 10:56:18 AM PST
Mel Adkins says:
Try reading "The Long Dusty Trail", It is set in the mid 1800's and is about the first cattle drive of Hereford Cattle to Colorado. A very entertaining read about the life of a Colorado Ranch family, and struggle of every day life in the Southern Rocky Mountains.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 6:36:10 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 8:29:26 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 9:45:08 PM PST
Tom's Mom says:
I am almost done with "From Sea to Shining Sea" by James Alexander Thom. The first half of the book is during the American Revolution. The book is about the Clark family and their children. Two sons George Rogers Clark and William Clark (of Lewis and Clark fame) spent most of their lives pushing west. I read constantly (primarily historical fiction) and it is the best book I have read in sometime.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 2:48:15 PM PST
I had completely forgotten about these, but when I was a lad I adored the Kenneth Ulyatt books, which amazingly still appear to be available in some form or another:

North against the Sioux (Puffin Books)
The longhorn trail
Custer's gold: a story of the American West at the time of the Battle of Little Big Horn

Ulyatt also wrote an excellent non-fiction book about the outlaws of the American West:

Outlaws

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:51:52 PM PST
J.T. Edson is bit limited on depth and plot (bit like young adult type of fiction) but very informative on weapons, dress, gambling, saloons, cattle industry etc.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:28:28 AM PST
Pam Gearhart says:
Some I've enjoyed:

Heart of the Country by Greg Matthews
Wanderers Eastward, Wanderers West by Kathleen Winsor
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
West of Here by Jonathan Evison
The Homesman by Glendon Swarthout (if "west" includes the plains and I think it does)
Redemption Falls by Joseph O'Connor
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions