Customer Discussions > Historical Fiction forum

Scottish Historical Fiction?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 21, 2010 11:16:36 AM PST
Hi

Can anyone recommend some good historical fiction set in Scotland? Series and women centered would be a plus.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2010 11:36:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2010 11:38:16 AM PST
I am cutting off my nose on this, because I have written an English Gothic thriller *Ravenhook*, but I like "Mary, Queen of Scotland and the Isles" by Margaret George. Happy reading!

Carla Dewhurst

Posted on Nov 21, 2010 11:39:53 AM PST
Kathy says:
Have you tried the Outlander series of books by
Diana Gabaldon?

Kathy S

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 4:47:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2010 4:48:47 PM PST
I have not read ether of these books but they are both on my wish list and have gotten good reveiws
The Wallace: The Compelling 13th Century Story of William Wallace (Coronet Books)
The Bruce Trilogy: A Superb Trilogy About Scotland's Greatest Hero (Coronet Books)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2010 8:28:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2010 8:29:13 PM PST
Chretien says:
The first of Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond series, The Game of Kings, is set in Scotland, and all six books of the series deal at least tangentially with the politics of Scotland in the hurly burly of the mid 1500's.
Having recently finished the series, I'm finding everything else pale and inconsequential by comparison. I've begun The Game of Kings again, and find it infinitely more brilliant at a second read. For good reason Dunnett is considered the finest of the 20th century's historical fiction writers -- and perhaps she is the finest of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 1:18:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2011 1:22:25 PM PDT
Diann says:
I'm reading Carla Dewhurst's book "Ravenhook" right now and I'm loving it. I can't find anymore books written her, but I hope to in the future. Just curl up and read! Thanks for the GREAT story!

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 7:16:38 PM PDT
Linda Woods says:
You will not be able to put down any of Diana Gabaldons books in the Outlander series! Her protagonists Claire a modern day American woman and Jamie Fraser an 18th century Scottish laird are unforgettable and gripping over 6000 pages! Don't wait another minute!

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 4:51:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2011 4:54:29 AM PDT
SIRIUS says:
Scoti, Gael, and keltoi are terms used by outsiders to refer to the indigenous peoples of what are now Ireland, Scotland, Wales and parts of Cornwall... People of the Isles did not use these terms to refer to themselves until recently in the whole time scale.

Depending on taste and how much fantasy you want with your historical fiction, Gabaldon's series is entertaining. Jules Watson writes tales of the Dalriada, the Irish warriors who settled northern Scotland from around the fifth century CE.

For a novel tracing the earliest inhabitants of the Isles and well before any "Scoti" or "Celts" , see the new title that won the 2011 ( historical fiction first place ) Next Generation Indie Award, Bending the Boyne: A Novel of Ancient Ireland .

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 10:05:49 PM PDT
Gemini Sasson has written a wonderful trilogy about Robert the Bruce. All three on Kindle at $2.99 or less.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 4:13:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2011 4:14:27 AM PDT
Ben Kane says:
@BeWrite Books: Robert Low, author of the acclaimed Oathsworn Viking books, has recently released The Lion Wakes, the first of a new series. It is set in 13C Scotland, and features William Wallace, Robert the Bruce and Edward Longshanks as well as many other historical characters. It's an excellent read, IMHO.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2011 4:01:50 AM PDT
I've just published a historical novel set in medieval Scotland and Ireland on Kindle, but I'm not sure if its OK to punt your own stuff here so I'll not spam you.

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 8:39:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2011 8:44:48 PM PDT
Dawnofday says:
I highly recommend two novels by the same author, J. R. Tomlin. Both have received very good Amazon reviews. They're Freedom's Sword and A Kingdom's Cost. They're set during the Scottish war against English conquest and exciting reads.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 6:42:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2011 6:45:43 PM PDT
Selene says:
Reay Tannahill's "The World, the Flesh and the Devil" and "The Dark and Distant Shore" are both good reads- they are set at different times but at the same place. Now OP, but still available secondhand or as library interloans.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/reay-tannahill/

If you enjoy time-slip novels, I also recommend Barbara Erskine's gripping "Kingdom of Shadows", which combines a modern story with that of 14th century Isobel, Countess of Buchan, who crowned Robert the Bruce King of Scotland by hereditary right and suffered a terrible punishment at the hands of King Edward I of England in consequence.

And while we're on the subject of Dorothy Dunnett- her moving interpretation of Macbeth's story from his wife's POV is excellent - King Hereafter

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 1:56:21 AM PDT
I agree about the Dorothy Dunnett book on Macbeth. I also just got this one as an audio book: Macbeth: A Novel But the kindle edition looks a bit pricey.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 9:59:39 AM PDT
Tom Fleck
This might be of interest. It is set in 1513 and much of it takes place on the Scottish border. There are three strong women around the leading male character, the principal woman is an illegal immigrant - a Portuguese Jew.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 7:16:07 PM PST
Word of warning about the Outlander books, there is A LOT of sex! It actually gets quite boring and makes one want to skip to the good stuff- the actual story line!

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 4:33:07 AM PST
Gilly8 says:
The Complete McAuslan by George McDonald Fraser, a true native Scotsman, and also the author of the well known "Flashman" series which is set in Victorian Britain at the peak of the Empire. (NOT set in Scotland, but a good series, and funny, though also w/ a fair amount of sex but not made to be ugly or vicious toward woman).

Fraser also wrote about the many years of the "border wars" between the Scots and the English at the borders of (obviously!)Scotland and England. A constant, unending, series of raids to steal horses and cattle mainly. Steel Bonnets: The Story of the Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers

In theReavers" Fraser spends some time at the start defining the names: ie, which clan had which and which name is related to which though over centuries they have changed. This may be of interest to anyone part Scottish.

This is interesting, true to life stuff.....no magic or fey celtic imagery (being a large part Scottish and part Welsh, I think that gets old fast!)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another good writer of a series of books set in medieval Scotland, more or less mysteries but also giving a good view of life as lived then, is PF Chisholm, a woman writer. Her two series are set in the time of Queen Elizabeth I. The first book of the series I like best is "A Famine of Horses" whose main character is Sir Robert Carey....a real person who wrote his memoirs later. He was the son of the son of Mary Boleyn, sister of Anne Boleyn, therefore closely related to Queen Elizabeth. Rumor had it that
Carey's father was the ilegitimate son of King Henry VIII, NOT of the man to whom Mary Boleyn was married off when pregnant. This, if true, would have made him, his sibs, and father far closer to the throne than they probably wanted to be....

The four books in the series are excellent, imo. The first covers Carey's time in the border wars between Scotland and England, the others are more set in London. Worth reading imo.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another mystery series set in Medieval Scotland is by Harper's Quine: A Gil Cunningham Murder Mystery by Pat McIntosh.....is the first in the series. It is best to read them in order if possible. The lead character is male but his girlfriend/later wife is very involved in the activities.
All the above books, except the Flashman books can be considered "clean" though there IS the violence of the era...the books by Fraser MAY go over the line some people have...but not in a way that is, imo, degrading to women, and others. It is presented as how things were at that time. The Flashman series, a cult classic, is a bit wild in parts but always with tongue-in-cheek humor.

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 4:15:36 PM PST
HHK says:
The White Mare (Dalriada, Book 1)- series set in Ancient Scotland/Alba. Three books.

The Dark Mirror: Book One of the Bridei Chronicles (Bridei Trilogy)- pre-Celtic Ancient Scotland.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 7:00:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2012 7:01:02 PM PST
Ian Hall says:
"Opportunities: Jamie Leith in Darien". the story of Scotlands ill fated attempt to colonize Panama in 1700.
Historical Fiction. 600+ Pages

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 6:05:40 PM PST
Nena Butler says:
Who is the author of Opportunities: Jammie Leith in Darien, sounds like something I would like to read. Thank you. Nena

Posted on May 24, 2012 5:29:37 PM PDT
jan says:
My all time favorite is The Dark Twin by Marion Campbell.... and if you want to support the making of a video about this, go to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/204433367/the-dark-twin-video

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 1:29:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 1:30:35 PM PDT
Selene says:
An older author I've just discovered may be of interest- Elizabeth Byrd, an American who was obssessed with all things Scottish and spent much iof her life living in Scotland. I have two of her novels - "Immortal Queen", a novel about Mary, Queen of Scots and "Flowers of the Forest", a novel about the court of James IV of Scotland, culminating in the disastrous (for the Scots) Battle of Flodden Field.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 1:47:30 PM PDT
jan says:
I love all of it, but there is something else about Marion Campbell's work, The Dark Twin in particular, the spiritual content, that stands out. In that sense it's very current, right now eveeryone is so interested in their metaphysics.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 1:49:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 26, 2012 5:12:44 AM PDT]

Posted on May 25, 2012 1:51:10 PM PDT
jan says:
The Dark Twin by Marion Campbell is both women centered and the best historical fiction I know of...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Dark-Twin-Audiobook-soon-to-be-YouTube-Video/129298989837
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Historical Fiction forum (805 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Matthew Corbett: getting more and more expensive? 0 7 days ago
Can anyone recommend older authors of historical adventures 61 10 days ago
Historical Fiction WWII 251 10 days ago
Looking for books where main male and female characters have viewpoints consistent with time period they live in? 3 25 days ago
Need help remembering the title and/or the author 1 28 days ago
What historical novel are you reading now? 366 Sep 22, 2014
African history 5 Aug 25, 2014
Please Help! YOUR OPINION: Best Historical Fiction that moves effortlessly between the past and the present?! 2 Aug 17, 2014
Historical Fiction set during the Revolutionary War 35 Aug 14, 2014
Any Multi-Generation Novel Recommendations? 30 Aug 14, 2014
Looking for historical fiction about New York City 56 Jul 27, 2014
Keywords 0 Jul 11, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Nov 21, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions