Historical Fiction WWII

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 252 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 12, 2011 9:03:12 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 27, 2011 12:19:40 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 12:02:11 PM PST
Mike Monahan says:
May I suggest A DRUMBEAT TOO NEAR: Cape Cod WW ll
A Drumbeat Too Near is a fascinating mixture of WWII fact and fiction and certainly fits this category.
The author, Bill Flynn, is a master at creating memorable characters that the reader can easily relate to. This historical tale recreates the laid back attitude of a pre-war USA that was totally unprepared for the war that changed the lives of so many. Bill Flynn deftly weaves the stories of several Cape Cod families with that of the German aggressors, most notably the members of a German U-Boat. The author succeeds in bringing the reader through a wide range of emotions as normal lives are entwined in the horrors of war. I particularly enjoyed the storyline of the three teenage boys whose courage and innocence was so refreshing. This book has it all, boys being boys surrounded by a world of death, divorce, romance and lots of action. I already recommended this book to all my friends.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 6:09:55 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 17, 2011 5:48:57 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 11:16:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2011 11:32:45 PM PST
Marjorie says:
Some more very good books about WWII:

Louis Begley: Wartime Lies. The story of a Jewish kid whose parents disappear in Poland early in the war. He's taken in by his aunt, who passes both him and herself as non-Jews and they go through the war years in Warsaw, the Warsaw Uprising of the Polish Home Army, the forced march out of the city as the Germans retreat, etc. Partly autobiographical, I think. It is excellent.

Also -- Sarah Gainham: Night Falls On the City. The first of a trilogy about Vienna during WWII. The main story is about a non-Jewish actress in Vienna who hides her Jewish husband. Lots of other characters and a good portrayal of civilian life behind the lines.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 3:29:07 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 17, 2011 5:48:35 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 4:12:23 PM PST
There is a relatively new website called Past Times Books [ http://www.PastTimesBooks.com ] that hosts historical fiction ebooks, which link to Amazon Kindle, whose authors have been vetted for writing and story quality, which is worth a perusal.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 4:52:18 PM PST
I meant to add to my last post that I read Dodging Shells, which is fictional, though based on fact - a Canadian soldier's letters home from the invasion of Sicily through the push up the boot of Italy during World War II. Parts of it are humorous, for if you can't find humor in war, you'll lose your mind. I really enjoyed it and looked forward reading it every night for the 3 nights it took to read it on Kindle - hard to put down. There isn't a lot about the Canadians in war fiction, but they fought alongside the British from the beginning of the war. Recommended.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 11:13:14 AM PST
Roger Weston says:
Hi Mike, A Drumbeat Too Near: Cape Cod WW II sounds good. I'll have to check it out.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 7:08:02 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 11, 2012 3:06:16 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 10:16:05 PM PST
Marjorie says:
I'm reading Erik Larson's "In the Garden of the Beasts," about Berlin in the 1930s.

I'm enjoying it tremendously. It's not a novel -- but it reads as excitingly as a very good historical novel. This is the actual story of the American ambassador to Germany in the 1933-34 period, and of his family, particularly his daughter Martha Dodd.

As Philip Kerr (the author of the "Berlin Noir" books about the same period, which are also excellent) in his review of the book, a mere novelist couldn't get away with the dramatic incidents portrayed in this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2012 10:37:21 AM PST
Inner Victims by J Lee Ready

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 3:46:58 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 11, 2012 3:06:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 8:43:04 AM PST
I didn't see the Fox and Friends review, but the plot you describe sounds exactly like "Iron Coffin" by John Mannock (paperback available on Amazon of course.) I heartily recommend it. It's one of the best, and most unusual, books of WW11 fiction I've ever read (and I've read a lot.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 6:23:02 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 20, 2012 12:13:13 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 6:39:48 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 20, 2012 12:07:50 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 9:21:52 AM PST
Mr. Nath, Mr. Craven and Ms. Kagan,
Perhaps you did not have the opportunity to read my post about author self promotion on this forum. I wish that you would do so because I feel quite certain that most readers of this forum are seriously put off by the constant self promotion which has effectively shut down reader discussion. You are authors - you want and need readers - do not continue self promoting your books in this venue because it will not, in most instances, sell books.

Thank you for reading this message and I most sincerely hope that you understand and honor the position of many of this forum's readers.
Mary Beth

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 9:25:59 AM PST
Marjorie,
How did you end up liking In the Garden of the Beasts? I read about this book and thought that it looked fascinating.
Mary Beth

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 2:41:14 PM PST
Calixthe says:
Disciples of Fortune is about a mulatto and his half-Jewish/German/communist family during the 1930s-1940s and the ordeals they went through in Nazi Germany, and how the mulatto returned to Germany decades after making abroad home.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 12:22:01 PM PST
Patti G says:
I am a huge fan of historical fiction, and particularly stories that involve WWII. I recently heard about a new book called Pictures of the Past by Deby Eisenberg and I must say, it did not disappoint. I was drawn in instantly and could not put it down.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 2:19:04 PM PST
Read all but the last two and loved them all so will get the last two. Thanks. Liz in Tx.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 5:56:16 PM PST
Roni Keller says:
The newly published novel, Evie and the Golem, which I co-authored with John Fasano, has been getting great reviews and takes place during WW II and in medieval times, in Eastern Europe. Just read a new entry on the forum which was glowing about the book. Evie And The Golem For my own personal reading, a novel that I love from WW II is Catch 22.

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 3:16:44 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 11, 2012 3:05:23 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 6:23:01 PM PST
D. Neil says:
I loved Shadow Divers! It is a great book

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 6:28:23 PM PST
D. Neil says:
I just came back from a trip to Italy so am interested in Italian historical fiction. Just read a series about WWII in Italy that I would highly recommend. I have told several people about these books and everyone loved them
Author is Paul Salsini
The Cielo, Sparrows Revenge and the third book is Dino's Story
Wish this author would write more books!!

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 12:44:11 PM PST
I concur with those that recommended The Caine Mutiny, W.E.B. Griffin's series, Alistair Maclean's early works, and Douglas Reeman. All of those are outstanding.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Historical Fiction forum (808 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  124
Total posts:  252
Initial post:  May 18, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions