Customer Discussions > Historical Fiction forum

Historical fiction set in 11-th century Europe

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 5:51:17 AM PST
Ksenia says:
HI, I'm looking for any recommendations during this era especially set in Scandinavia, France, England or Kyiv-Rus lands. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:05:53 PM PST
Johnmacmot says:
You might enjoy Robert Lyndon's Hawk Quest, a cracking epic historical adventure which covers quite a few of the lands you mention.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:02:19 AM PST
Ksenia says:
Thanks -- I will check it out! Sounds interesting.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 2:01:13 PM PST
Hi Ksenia - Are you interested in the events surrounding 1066? If so, let me know - I would have suggestions for you.

Mary Beth

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 5:12:30 PM PST
Ksenia says:
Hi Mary Beth,

Yes I am! I'm particularly interested in Harald Hardrada and the women of this era, his wife Elizabeth or Ellisiv and I'm actually open to any suggestions you may have. Thanks!!

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 9:53:07 PM PST
Tom's Mom says:
Two books I enjoyed from this period were by Helen Hollick, "The Forever Queen" and "I Am the Chosen King". They both are set in England right before the Norman Conquest. Both Elizabeth Chadwick and Sharon Kaye Penman write excellent books close to this time period (after the Conquest).

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 4:19:39 AM PST
Ksenia says:
Thank you!! I will check these books and authors out!!

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 7:07:51 AM PST
The Helen Hollick titles that were suggested are both great reads. Also, I agree with Chadwick and Penman, although I believe that Penman writes books based a little later than the time period you mentioned. Elizabeth Chadwick wrote a book The Conquest which is set shortly after the Battle of Hastings. I absolutely loved Valerie Anand's trilogy about 1066 and I would recommend them as some of the best books I have ever read. The first book in the trilogy is Gildenford. If you are interested in Harold Hardrada then you are most likely going to enjoy Harold the King because the book focuses on the period immediately before 1066.

Recently I read a book which I loved which portrayed the harrying of the north, an event which occurred in the years after the conquest - Gift & the Promise by Sarah Pernell. I especially loved this book because its characters were not nobility, but 'common' folk.

There are also some great books about Herward the Wake - Morning Gift by Diana Norman and An Endless Exile by Mary Lancaster are two of my favorites.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 12:28:53 PM PST
Ksenia says:
Thank you for all the great recommendations! I just ordered Daughter of the Sunset Isles (Dinah Dean) which focuses on Gytha, Harold's daughter and I'm excited to hear about these other books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:32:11 PM PST
Cliff Sedge says:
11th C? Oh, shame, I've just watched 'Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follett. But that's 12th C.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 6:02:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 6:11:40 PM PST
Selene says:
You might like to check out the Historical Novels Info website- here's the link to the Medieval Europe section
http://www.historicalnovels.info/Medieval.html

Unfortunately not a lot of HF around about Harald Hardrada. Poul Anderson wrote a series known as "The Last Viking" trilogy and Michael Ennis did a block-buster epic called "Byzantium", focusing on Harald's time in the Varangian Guard, though it does cover his life up till his death at Stamford Bridge. An interesting snippet- Harald and his daughter Maria had a particularly close bond, and she died suddenly on exactly the same day that Harald was killed in battle.

Mary, "Morning Gift" is set in the Anarchy period, too late for Hereward. He does pop up in Naomi Baltuck's Keeper of the Crystal Spring though. Helen Hollick has mentioned writing a novel about him, but that project seems to have gone on to the back-burner.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 6:32:41 AM PST
Ksenia says:
Thanks for link Selene! A lot of interesting books there. I have the Byzantium book so will start with that. I know that in Harald's saga Snorri writes about that strange link between Maria and Harald and them dying the same day but I always wondered if that was true. I will check out the other books you mentioned!

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 6:36:24 AM PST
Ksenia says:
Hi Bairn,
Did you enjoy Pillars of the Earth?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 7:23:58 AM PST
Thanks Selene - too many stories to keep straight sometimes!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 7:51:23 AM PST
Cliff Sedge says:
Oh yeah. Very much so. The guy's a master storyteller.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 2:37:05 PM PST
Ksenia says:
Good to know and will add to my ever-growing list....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:05:55 PM PST
Selene says:
I know that problem, Mary. With 50-odd years' worth of stories mixing it up in my head, I often wonder which bit belongs to what novel :)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:45:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 7:56:24 PM PST
There are several books of Nigel Tranter of that era set in Scotland and Orkney. Henry Treece on Vikings is also exceptionally good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 11:07:42 AM PST
Ksenia says:
Thank you, I will check out the Nigel Tranter books. I did get The Last King by Treece so am looking forward to reading that one.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 7:30:03 PM PST
I haven't read The Last King. I should. Green Man is good. The Burning of Njal is also by Treece. The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson is supposed top be a classic. Haven't read it yet though. If you don't mind old books, there is OLAF THE GLORIOUS by ROBERT LEIGHTON for free on Gutenburg. Story is set in Scandinavia British Isles, Finland, Part of Russia etc. Actually there are quite a few old books on the topic there.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 1:05:41 PM PST
Ksenia says:
I just downloaded Olaf The Glorious! Thanks for that suggestion!! Will check out Green Man as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 9:37:29 PM PST
There are more of that type of books on Gutenburg, Bit dated though. Thank you for mentioning The Last King. Will look it up. Treece isn't on Gutenburg. Not old enough. Will try Amazon.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 9:47:06 PM PST
@Ksenia, By the way did you mean "The Last of the Vikings"? I can't find a Last King by Treece.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 5:10:19 AM PST
It is The Last Viking! Sorry about that! It's about Harald Hardrada. There is also a book called The Making of the King: 1066 by Alan Lloyd which focuses on Harald Hardrada, Harold Godwinson of England and William the Conqueror.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 5:19:18 AM PST
Ksenia says:
Interestingly enough there is also a novel by Poul Anderson called The Last Viking -- Book 1: The Golden Horn (first of a trilogy) and book one focuses on Harald Hardrada. Sorry I posted accidentally under my husban'd account just above. I'm getting all these book titles mixed up!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Historical Fiction forum (797 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What historical novel are you reading now? 359 3 days ago
Historical Fiction set during the Revolutionary War 30 3 days ago
Jewish historical fiction 71 3 days ago
Best Historical Fiction you've read recently 3530 3 days ago
Any pet peeves relating to historical fiction? 11 5 days ago
How many readers of Italian origin might be interested in reading an historical novel set in Northern Italy at the turn of the twentieth century? 0 5 days ago
Any Multi-Generation Novel Recommendations? 26 18 days ago
Is there any good pirate fiction out there ? 60 24 days ago
Bar none the very best historical novels . . . . 8607 Mar 21, 2014
authors: please read this post! 253 Mar 3, 2014
What do you prefer in writing styles in historical fiction 14 Feb 12, 2014
Looking for novels set during the 30 Years War 21 Feb 11, 2014
ARRAY(0xd94e689c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions