Customer Discussions > Historical Fiction forum

Looking for Native American books (fact or fiction)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 51 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 4, 2008 4:56:45 PM PDT
I just finished reading Comanche Moon, and Follow the River.

Does anyone know any more good books out there about native americans?

Thanks..

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 9:51:24 PM PDT
Jack Shakely's "Confederate War Bonnet" is about the Creek Indians who fought with the Confederacy during the Civil War. Has a lot of info on the Creeks, one of the Five Civilized Tribes relocated to Oklahoma. Very well written. For fun, you might want to read "Little Big Man" about a white boy who is rescued by the Cheyenne. He keeps going back and forth between the two cultures for lots of funny scenes. If you want serious, "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" covers just about everything from first European contact to the massacre at Wounded Knee.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2008 8:52:02 AM PDT
Try these authors for a start:

Louise Erdrich
James Welch
Michael Dorris (deceased now)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 10:03:48 PM PDT
Selene says:
You might like to check out the fiction listings on the Historical Novels Info site
See under Native Americans.
http://www.historicalnovels.info/Old-West.html

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 3:13:19 AM PDT
Misfit says:
I've heard great things about Hanta Yo but haven't read it yet. I'm going to be picking up Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee from the library soon -- we'll see how that is.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 7:49:47 AM PDT
Lewis Owens is also really good if you can find his books. always has a bit of supernatural element to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 9:57:37 AM PDT
The Man says:
Sacajawea is one of my favorite books.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 10:32:25 AM PDT
M. Wagley says:
I really enjoy the First People series by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O' Neal Gear. Each book focuses on a different tribe that lived in a different place and time in North America. I've heard the author William Sarabande writes similar books, but have not read any of his work yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 10:42:53 AM PDT
Charlie says:
Anything by Thomas King, in particular "Green Grass Running Water." The guy's a master storyteller.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 11:57:50 AM PDT
N. Lawrence says:
Sarah Donati, Into the WIlderness.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 1:05:42 PM PDT
Gnomes Rule says:
If you're interested in a mystery try Tony Hillerman's Jim Chee - Joe Leaphorn series.

See http://www.dancingbadger.com/tony_hillerman.htm, will not only provide you information on Tony Hillerman's work but has a list of names of other authors that might interest you.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2008 6:15:37 PM PDT
Chris Little says:
"Watch for Me On the Mountain" by Forrest Carter
"Season of Yellow Leaf" by Douglas Jones
"Gone the Dreams and Dancing" by Douglas Jones
"Eagle Song" by James Houston
"Running West" by James Houston
"Ghost Fox" by James Houston
"From Where the Sun Now Stands" by Will Henry
"Dances With Wolves" print is quite different from movie

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2008 7:24:03 PM PDT
Marie Sandoz Crazy Horse
George Hyde, Red Clouds Folk
These two were great starters when I researched "Where the Rivers Run North"

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2008 11:29:35 PM PDT
I've recently finished "Fools Crow" and was very pleased with it's story and accurate depictions. Someone mentioned "Hanta Yo" and I recall reading that several decades ago! At the time it struck me as awesome and inspiring. I went on to be a Native American Studies minor at college and realized that the reality of that novel was a little "stretched!" I agree that you should read "Bury My Heart..." for a sobering reality check.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2008 11:35:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2008 11:35:37 AM PDT
bookster says:
The Morning River and Coyote Summer by W. Michael Gear
Following the Eagle by Paulie Jenkins

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2008 2:32:12 PM PDT
D. Salerni says:
I can "second" Jack Shakely's "Confederate War Bonnet," which I really enjoyed. I recently loaned it to my father, who polished it off in a few days -- which is impressive, since he probably only reads 2 fiction books a year.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2008 8:19:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2008 8:22:22 PM PDT
I just finished Lucia St. Clair Robson's novel about Osceola, war chief of the Seminole in the Second Seminole War (1835-1842). It's quite good and can be found at amazon here:

Light a Distant Fire

Ms. Robson has lovingly recreated the world of early nineteenth century Florida and the people who lived, fought and died in that world. Few of us know about the Seminoles and what happened to them, or how a small group of tribal bands, refugees from the Indian wars further north, battled the U.S. Army for seven bloody years making theirs the most expensive of America's Indian wars in blood and treasure. Complicating the whole situation was the fact that escaped slaves from the South's plantations had sought and found haven among the Seminole before the U.S. took over Florida from Spain, becoming the Seminoles' allies in the conflict and a further incentive to American settlers to keep the war raging. As much as they wanted the Seminole lands, they wanted a new source of slaves because the new republic had banned importation of new slaves from Africa and elsewhere outside of the United States.

Robson's given us a story worth telling and remembering.

SWM

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2008 10:07:42 PM PDT
Sun Set says:
Lucia St. Clair Robson's Ride the wind is the story of Cynthia Ann Parker (mother of Quannah Parker, Comanche). Although Cynthia never talked about her captivity the author did a lot of research and the story is fact based. It begins with Cynthia's abduction when she was a child and goes into her life with the Comanche and their problems with the Texans. It is a beautiful well written story that made me weep, rejoice, and even love because of the precious romance between Cynthia and her captor. It is not one sided for you see horror in both races. There are some very brutal scenes; murder, rape, and war.

Harrison Sue wrote two series of Alaskan story tellers (Cry of the wind, Song of the river, Call down the stars) And (Father Sky, My Sister the Moon, Brother Wind ). These are full of adventures, myths, and interesting tales about members of the Inuit tribe.The author included many oral tales that were retold for generations. Again these are beautiful.

Marshal,l Joseph- Journal of Crazy Horse. There are many books about the legendary Crazy Horse whom never had his photo taken but this novel is exceptional, you really see Crazy Horse as a man not some mystical character. You will lean so much about him and his life with the Lakota.

Spinka, Penina- Picture maker and Dream Weaver is the story of a young Native American woman who journeys to Greenland and her adventure if full of obstacles, and heart break.

Sherman, Jory- The South Platte is about a mountain man and his adventures. Also an indentured woman who must chose him or the Indian that wants to take her to his tribe. This is more of a Western.

Eckert, Allan- A Sorrow in our Hearts. This is story of Tecumseh. The story begins with his birth and into his death. This is adventurous tale as well as heart breaking saga. Good idea to read this book because 2009 "We Shall Remain" will be released which is movie about Tecumseh.

Wood, Barbara- Scared Ground is historical fiction written with a woman's touch. It is the story of three generations of women that have to hide their Native American heritage. You will cry a lot.

Lake in the Clouds by Sara Donati is similar to the Last of the Mohicans, Hawkeye is the grandfather here. It also tells the life of his half Indian granddaughter that wants to become a doctor.

Kathleen O' Neal Gear & W. Michael Gear are my favorite Native American writers. They are archaeologist and share Indian blood.

Their First North Americans series skip from tribe to tribe covering decades before the white man. These are the absolute best books regarding Native Americans; war, shamans, adventure, and factual research. These are best sellers.

First North Americans (Ancient American Indians)

People of the Wolf (1990)
People of the Fire (1990)
People of the Earth (1992)
People of the River (1992)
People of the Sea (1993)
People of the Lakes (1994)
People of the Lightning (1995)
People of the Silence (1996)
People of the Mist (1997)
People of the Masks (1998)
People of the Owl (2003)
People of the Raven (2004)
People of the Moon (2005)
People of the Nightland (2007)
People of the Weeping Eye (forthcoming)

They also write the Anasazi Mysteries which has an edge of thriller that revolves around a great murder mystery. warning these can be quite gruesome:
Anasazi Mysteries
The Visitant (1999)
The Summoning God (2000)
Bone Walker (2001)

Kathleen O'Neal Gear also wrote a series about a tribal woman named Sora that is being witched. It is a mixture of adventure and mystery with an erotic touch:
It Sleeps in Me (2005)
It Wakes in Me (2006)
It Dreams in Me (2007)

Kathleen O'Neal Gear:
Sand in the Wind (1990) (Indian Western)
This Widowed Land (1993) (Huron Indian fiction)

W. Michael Gear's Indian Westerns:
The Big Horn Legacy
Morning River

Beloved Mother: The Story of Nancy Ward by Charlotte Jane Ellington. This is about Cherokee people and their infamous Nancy Ward.

Girl Captives of the Cheyennes: A True Story of the Capture and Rescue of Four Pioneer Girls, 1874 (Frontier Classics) by Grace E. Meredith. Tells both sides; Indian and white.

Walk in My Soul by Lucia St Clair Robson; A novel about Sam Houston and his Cherokee bride, Tiana Rogers. Historical and factual info of the Cherokee nation with love's embrace.

The Proud and the Free by Janet Dailey. This has a romantic side but not a romance. It is the story of a Cherokee families' struggle during the trail of tears. Both southern and Cherokee.

Other good Indian reads:
Mum, Vella- Blackfeet season

Meckee, Armstead Lynn- Spirit of the turtle woman

Porter, Donald- White Indian series

Shuler Linda Lay- Voice of the Eagle

Sarabande William- Spirit moon series

One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus

American Woman by R. Garcia y Robertson

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008 10:48:43 AM PST
I just browsed through some older posts and this one caught my eye. This summer, Marie Wadden, CBC producer of Morning Side Newfoundland, released her book, Where the Pavement Ends. A well researched and written documentary, it chronicles the work being done to re-build Native culture in Canada. I recommend it highly.

As to how this culture was destroyed, very little has been written about the Native and white friendships that were tested as the residential schools, (an altar like arrangement) and the Canadian government, (representing the throne) stripped away their culture. Written to convey the feeling and emotion these people felt as heartache and tragedy entered their lives, Altar and Throne follows the Redsky and Corrigan families through this time of trouble as seen through the eyes of bush pilot, Abe Williston.

I enjoyed writing this book and hope you find it an engaging read. Ed

www.EdZaruk.com

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008 9:09:58 PM PST
T. Dugan says:
look up Sherman Alexie

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2009 11:55:21 AM PST
M. Roper says:
Also Linda Hogan a Chickasaw writer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2009 3:31:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2009 3:33:30 PM PST
C. Hall says:
Women's Indian Captivity Narratives (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
by Various (Author), Kathryn Zabelle Derounian-Stodola 400 pages
Enthralling generations of readers, the narrative of capture by Native Americans is arguably the first American literary form dominated by the experiences of women. The ten selections in this anthology span the early history of this country (1682-1892) and range in literary style from fact-based narrations to largely fictional, spellbinding adventure stories. The women are variously victimized, triumphant, or, in the case of Mary Jemison, permantently transculturated. This collection includes well known pieces such as Mary Rowlandson's A True History (1682), Cotton Mather's version of Hannah Dunstan's infamous captivity and escape (after scalping her captors!), and the "Panther Captivity", as well as lesser known texts. As Derounian-Stodola demonstrates in the introduction, the stories also raise questions about the motives of their (often male) narrators and promoters, who in many cases embellish melodrama to heighten anti-British and anti-Indian propaganda, shape the tales for ecclesiastical purposes,
or romanticize them to exploit the growing popularity of sentimental fiction in order to boost sales. (This was an especially eye-opening and fascinating book.)

Captured By The Indians: 15 Firsthand Accounts, 1750-1870 (Paperback)384 pages by Frederick Drimmer
Astounding eyewitness accounts of Indian captivity by people who lived to tell the tale. Fifteen true adventures recount suffering and torture, bloody massacres, relentless pursuits, miraculous escapes and adoption into Indian tribes. Fascinating historical record and revealing picture of Indian culture and frontier life. Introduction. Notes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 9:01:44 AM PST
truluv says:
I second Sherman Alexie. Excellent ironic, funny, heart-breaking stuff about the current situation for Native Americans. Usually he focuses on the tribes of the north west (his own background). Also I second Louise Erdrich--Start with LOVE MEDICINE. Most of her books are set in the same small town and rez in North Dakota, and follow the intertwining fortunes of the whites and Ojibwa there. For a novel that just came out, check out MUSEUM OF HUMAN BEINGS, by Colin Sargent. The novel richly imagines the amazing and tragic life and times of Jean Baptiste Charbonneau, Sacagawea's baby son.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 12:59:50 PM PST
The Last Yahi: A Novel about Ishi

It describes a Stone Age mythological view of Manifest Destiny through the eyes of the last Native American to live alone in the wilderness on the North American Continent. He lived in Northern California near Mt. Lassen, which he called Waganopa. He was one of the most decent humans to have ever walked on this planet, and he is worthy of our thought and attention.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 3:16:44 PM PST
Try "Where the Rivers Run North" it takes an area in the west and follows it through four generations from 1840 through the present. Four tribes (Crow, Lakota, Cheyenne, and Arapaho) are represented in part one. The early years covers Crazy Horse's life in the area.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Historical Fiction forum (804 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What historical novel are you reading now? 366 9 days ago
Looking for books where main male and female characters have viewpoints consistent with time period they live in? 0 14 days ago
African history 5 Aug 25, 2014
Can anyone recommend older authors of historical adventures 55 Aug 17, 2014
Please Help! YOUR OPINION: Best Historical Fiction that moves effortlessly between the past and the present?! 2 Aug 17, 2014
Historical Fiction set during the Revolutionary War 35 Aug 14, 2014
Any Multi-Generation Novel Recommendations? 30 Aug 14, 2014
Looking for historical fiction about New York City 56 Jul 27, 2014
Keywords 0 Jul 11, 2014
Bar none the very best historical novels . . . . 8608 Jun 20, 2014
Historical Fiction WWII 244 Jun 16, 2014
Historical Fiction Author Interview June 16 0 Jun 14, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  51
Initial post:  Aug 4, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions