Customer Discussions > Historical Fiction forum

John Jakes ebooks?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2012 6:49:47 PM PDT
L Hoover says:
I am curious if anyone else out there is frustrated by how few of John Jakes' books are available in ebook format? Some of his books are very popular, especially the North and South and Kent family books, and particularly given their size seem to scream "please make me an ebook", at least to me (they'd be so much more comfortable on the slimmer kindle!). Given their popularity I am surprised they aren't available, and it frustrates me a bit. Anyone else looking for them? I know I would gladly repurchase them for the chance to reread them on my Kindle!
Your reply to L Hoover's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 7:42:11 PM PDT
Misfit says:
I suspect it might boil down to who owns the rights and whether or not that *person* cares to bother with getting them out in e-book.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 10:34:11 AM PDT
L Hoover says:
I am sure that is probably why....it would be nice to see though!

Posted on May 16, 2012 6:14:06 AM PDT
JoCat says:
though I still have the hardcovers I would love to see the Kent Family series as ebooks - and again, it most likely has to do with who owns the rights to them ...

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 7:47:21 AM PDT
Misfit says:
Much as I still like reading a dead tree book, the ebooks are handy for these older big fat sagas from the 70s and 80s with the tiny tiny font. I've got some awesome recent finds from library sales that scare me to death just looking at that font size.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 7:55:23 AM PDT
L Hoover says:
Exactly - some of his books are so thick they're uncomfortable to hold (not to mention font size, like you said!) - they are the perfect candidate for ebooks.

Posted on May 16, 2012 8:01:19 AM PDT
JoCat says:
I have to agree -- I recently got an older paperback and when I looked at the font I thought -geez, I'll need a magnifying glass to read it :)
I still love my DTBs too - but the other advantage of ebooks is that you don't get frightened off by the size of a book when you look at it - like some of those 1000 page Stephen King's ..... I also have to think that by publishing some of the older books as ebooks would give them a second life -- they're still great stories, but the look of the books may not appeal to younger readers -- they might be more inclined to buy it as an ebook

Posted on May 16, 2012 8:18:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 8:18:51 AM PDT
L Hoover says:
I agree. I can't imagine after how many copies some of these books have sold that there isn't a market for an ebook either from someone like me who is willing to reinvest to buy them again or for someone who is new to them. Your point about younger readers is an excellent one - as you said, they might not be something a younger reader might pick up off a shelf, but as an ebook they might be more inclined.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 8:21:32 AM PDT
Misfit says:
I've been cleaning house recently and just donated a ton of my older TBR classics to the thrift shop. I had all those Tom Jones, Dickens, George Elliot and other public domain books that I can easily pickup for free on the Kindle and read when I'm in the mood. The Kindle is much lighter to hold too.

Posted on May 16, 2012 9:33:37 AM PDT
JoCat says:
I've been doing that too Misfit, but there are some I'll just never get rid of ....
especially ones that are not only not ebooks, but hard to find as DTBs anymore

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 10:20:17 AM PDT
Misfit says:
Yeah, but mine weren't rare. More like B&N Classics. Stuff I can always get at the library.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 10:32:54 AM PDT
L Hoover says:
I'll always keep my more "decorative" copies of books, and anything that was signed or not available as an ebook. Other than that I prefer ebooks....

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 10:54:14 AM PDT
JoCat says:
mine aren't rare either, a lot are book club editions, but there are certain ones I just like to hang onto

Posted on May 16, 2012 10:55:14 AM PDT
JoCat says:
I would also like to see more of James Michener's available as ebooks - if you've ever read him, you know he doesn't know how to write a short book :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 11:07:40 AM PDT
L Hoover says:
I have read a couple Michener...and yes that would be nice too!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  May 14, 2012
Latest post:  May 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions