Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Historical Fiction forum

Best Historical Fiction you've read recently

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3026-3050 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 13, 2012 6:10:33 PM PDT
J. Paha says:
"Juliet", by Anne Fortier, was a fun, interesting take on the origins of Romeo & Juliet.

Posted on May 13, 2012 6:31:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 6:32:16 PM PDT
Bookgal says:
I just finished Kate Furnivall's The White Pearl and it was mesmerizing. I enjoy books which feature so-called everyday folks who get caught up in war time; in this case Malaya just before the Japanese start invading the peninsula on their way to take Singapore in late 1941. The main character is a Englishwoman married to a wealthy rubber plantation owner, but the first sentence gives you a clue she is not your typical snobbish landowner. "It was not the first time Connie had killed someone. But today there were witnesses."

Posted on May 14, 2012 6:02:58 PM PDT
Beverly says:
The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer: A story of Hungarian Jews in Paris, France and Hungary and what happened to them in the time before and during World War II. It was a surprise to know how much Hungary was involved with Hitler during that war.

The Glass Room by Simon Mawrer: Another story of Jews before and during World War II, which is about a rather wealthy Jewish family who commission an architect to build them a house, the design of which includes the main room to be made almost entirely of glass. Exciting to read what happens to this family while living in the house and afterward.

Posted on May 15, 2012 9:18:31 AM PDT
BookBuff says:
There's a new book Scoundrel! by Keith Thompson set during the American Revolution that's really good. It's not the usual patriotic bs, but a witty, sexy romp featuring a real-life scoundrel out of our nation's early history named James Wilkinson. (Look this guy up on Wikipedia. I guarantee you you won't believe some of the stuff he did.) The history is very accurate as well. My favorite book of the year.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 9:25:55 AM PDT
BookBuff says:
All of Sabatini's books are great. Many were made into movies back in the 30s starring Errol Flynn. One of Sabatini's biggest fans was George MacDonald Fraser, author of the Flashman books. If you haven't tried Flashman, I strongly recommend it. Or, if you prefer American history, there's a new book "Scoundrel!" by Keith Thompson that's in the same vein. More satirical than Sabatini, but great adventure, great fun, and historically very accurate.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 9:44:09 AM PDT
p m Tractor says:
did you know Fraser wrote several movie scripts Ian Flemmins novels . Flashman is the best best. I learned so much about India of course Flashman was there *(or was he ?)

Posted on May 16, 2012 2:26:35 PM PDT
JoCat says:
Shanghai Girls: A Novel and Dreams of Joy
really enjoyed both of them

Posted on May 17, 2012 8:14:44 AM PDT
Hello everyone. You may want to read "Take the Silk Road Home." The Prologue starts in the 1200's in China, then 1500's in Italy to 1960's-70's America, Italy and Vietnam. Take the Silk Road Home

Posted on May 17, 2012 8:24:46 AM PDT
@ Mr. Terrena - This is a friendly reminder that promoting your own book is against Amazon's rules and is considered spamming. Please re-post it in the Meet Our Authors forum.

Thank you,
Mary Beth

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 8:26:24 AM PDT
Sorry Mary. I did not realize this. Thanks.

Posted on May 18, 2012 1:40:21 AM PDT
Feline says:
George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 4-Book Bundle: A Song of Ice and Fire Series: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows (Song of Ice & Fire)

Awesome!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 7:53:54 AM PDT
Mark Kaplin says:
if you enjoyed the Book Thief..you'll ENJOY the book: SAVING STARFISH....... it covers both WW1 and WW2 as well as the holocaust.............. like the book thief it looks at the events thro two young germans.........a boy and a girl, despite being in love the boy becomes an SS officer and the girl she's jewish.......well you'll have to read the book to see what happens................

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 7:55:21 AM PDT
Mark Kaplin says:
again I havre to suggest SAVING STARFISH.................. as well as the IRON HORSE...which covers similaR period....

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 9:00:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 9:05:49 AM PDT
Ben Kane says:
@Feline: this is a thread about HISTORICAL FICTION, not fantasy.

@Mark Kaplin: why don't you just edit your first post, rather than telling us yet again about SAVING STARFISH? It would seem less like spamming. Thanks.

I've just read Sultan's Wife by Jane Johnson. Excellent.

Posted on May 18, 2012 4:39:54 PM PDT
A reader says:
Best historical novel I've ever read: "The Master of Verona," By David Blixt.

Posted on May 19, 2012 6:43:30 AM PDT
Puck says:
I liked When Two Women Die When Two Women Die: An Historical Novella of Marblehead, Telling of Two Murders Which Happened There, 301 Years Apart by Patricia Goodwin, about two women who died and became legends. Moves very fast, very well-written with strong characters. I loved the language and flavor of life in the 17th C colonial America and the way the author translates that into modern times. I didn't want it to end. I find myself re-reading passages.

Posted on May 19, 2012 10:42:05 AM PDT
Bkworm Bren says:
I recently finished (and enjoyed) The Crimson Petal and the White (Harvest Book).

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 10:54:43 AM PDT
I read that book to and LOVED every word of it...until the last three pages and then it PISSED ME OFF. (I"d still recommend it, though.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 11:00:27 AM PDT
Bkworm Bren says:
Martin Turnbull: I agree that the ending of "The Crimson Petal and the White" was somewhat unsatisfying, but I enjoyed the atmosphere and escapism of the book so much, that I was able to get past that feeling of disappointment!

Posted on May 19, 2012 11:12:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2012 11:19:16 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 12:11:25 PM PDT
Absolutely, Bkworm Bren. The writing is SUPERB and evoked the period incredibly well. But, for me, that ending was a huge disappointment mainly, on reflection, because I'd so thoroughly enjoyed the entire book.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 2:12:00 PM PDT
Bkworm Bren says:
Martin Turnbull:
It was difficult to invest that much time on a novel and not really have a sense of closure at the end! I know that the author has done a book of short stories involving characters from the book, but it would be wonderful if there was a bona fide sequel. Apparently that's not going to happen (sigh)!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 2:13:38 PM PDT
That's exactly what I felt! I'd LOVE a sequel rather than some short stories. Damnation!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 2:48:14 AM PDT
Ben Kane says:
@Betty Everdene: On your wishlist, your name is listed as Patricia Goodwin. If this is correct, then you have a) reviewed your own book with 5 stars (!)
and b) are spamming this thread by promoting your own book. This is against Amazon rules. Please delete it and promote your book on the Meet Our Authors area.

Posted on May 21, 2012 10:23:44 AM PDT
Best historical fiction?
"The Cruel Sea," by Nicholas Monsarrat, and "The Killer Angels," by Michael Shaara.
And anything by Mitchener.
Oh, and what's with all those romance novels that pose as historical fiction. Does the castle behind the lovers put it into the historical fiction category? Seems there should be somebody monitoring that stuff.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Historical Fiction forum (815 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Help me find my next book...fairly specific 6 7 days ago
Bernard Cornwell - what should I read first? 13 13 days ago
For Those Who Have Read Books On The Arthurian Legend Which Do You Think Are The Best? 37 Apr 2, 2016
Best Historical Fiction you've read recently 3531 Feb 16, 2016
The Legend of King Arthur 0 Feb 16, 2016
Can anyone recommend older authors of historical adventures 62 Jan 13, 2016
WWII Resistance Novels 24 Jan 12, 2016
Highland thriller/mystery non-romance 0 Jan 1, 2016
What historical novel are you reading now? 367 Oct 7, 2015
obsessed/stalker 0 Oct 6, 2015
Looking for books where main male and female characters have viewpoints consistent with time period they live in? 5 Sep 24, 2015
Bar none the very best historical novels . . . . 8613 Sep 20, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  794
Total posts:  3532
Initial post:  Jul 16, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 85 customers

Search Customer Discussions