Customer Discussions > Historical Fiction forum

Best Historical Fiction you've read recently

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3201-3225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 4:23:32 AM PDT
I believe Amazon x-ray is available on several Kindle models and it is a sort of reference encyclopedia built into the book file you buy from Amazon.

In order to check on a fact or learn more on a subject you can highlight certain words and it brings up a screen containing more information very quickly. The reason it can do this is that it does not connect to the Internet. That information is right there in your Kindle device in the book file you downloaded.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 12:49:15 PM PDT
Have you heard the next release of Kindle Fire will probably have a GPS feature on it. Amazon is negotiating to buy a company which produces such a mechanism. Perhaps it will help us find books faster.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 12:52:01 PM PDT
Thank you, Valerie for your kind words for Bernard. I really hate "nip pickers". There are so many other larger things to deal with in this world.

Take care,

Patricia

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 6:06:52 AM PDT
Elise says:
Just finished Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor. Very well written and researched. Great book about the Irish potato famine and immigration to the US in 1847. I really enjoyed the way his characters developed. I am going to locate his other works to see if they are as good.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 7:03:09 AM PDT
LL McKenna says:
I want to thank the woman who posted about "Rebel Puritan" by Jo Ann Butler. I read it in a day and a half, was just so good. Thank you, love this forum!

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 8:33:10 AM PDT
Diana Wilder says:
Hello, everyone.

I'd been lurking (busy and not doing much posting) but I came across this thread and thought I'd post one.

I'm doing a group read with Killer of Men by Christian Cameron. He is doing a series starting before Thermopylae and proceeding through the end of the Greco-Persian war. Killer of men is the first. It's told by an old man talking to his granddaughter. With tht said, it's very well written and engrossing. It starts out dramatically and moves very well (so far) - nicely done!

I also finished two by a British author that take place in Dark Ages Europe. The first is The Axe the Shield and the Triton. He does a good job, considering that this isn't my favorite time. I enjoyed them.

I see some listed here that I'll have to put on my 'to read' list. (May have to enlarge my shelves...)

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 11:36:21 AM PDT
Right now I am reading the Graphic book 38:
38: Here were hanged 38 Sioux Indians Dec. 26, 1862

It contains 39 stories about the 39 condemned Sioux Indians which putatively participated in the Great Dakota War of 1862. The 39 illustrations are beautiful and the stories are very creative and easy to read. It is very condensed and simple. A beautiful book and a fun read for anyone interested in Minnesota history and historical fiction.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 1:27:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2012 12:06:55 PM PDT
Selene says:
Woe to Live On, by Daniel Woodrell. Set during the US Civil War, it's a coming-of-age story about a Missourian teenager of German descent fighting in Kansas with a bunch of rebel irregulars affiliated with Quantrill's infamous Raiders. Woodrell's use of language is brilliant, especially in capturing the rhythm and inflection of the laconic mid-western/southern voice; his work pyschologically acute, at times tender and ironic, and yet, like James Lee Burke, his stories are a powerful mix of lyricism and shockingly random, explosive violence which reaches its peak here with the Lawrence Massacre. This is down-and-dirty civil war stripped of any romanticism or sanity, yet there is still an edgy, compelling sort of brotherhood at its heart. The question is, can anyone survive it with their humanity intact?

This novel was the basis of Ang Lee's excellent movie "Ride With the Devil", and I believe the book has also been reissed in some editions under the movie's title.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 5:25:23 AM PDT
Relative Deceit... fantastic! Relative Deceit

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 5:32:07 AM PDT
Misfit says:
K. Aminadra. Nice to know that your novel is the best HF you've read lately, although from looking at the plot description it doesn't sound like it fits the historical fiction genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 8:37:00 AM PDT
L. L. McKenna says:
I want to thank the woman who posted about "Rebel Puritan" by Jo Ann Butler. I read it in a day and a half, was just so good. Thank you, love this forum!

I'm so delighted that you enjoyed Rebel Puritan! Would you be willing to post a review?
Many thanks, Jo Ann Butler

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 11:00:19 AM PDT
Editornado says:
Glad you enjoyed Rebel Puritan (A Scandalous Life), LL McKenna. Now that you've read and enjoyed it, why not review it? It could help sales for the author.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 11:44:27 AM PDT
Lindymc says:
Guardians of the Gate, by Vincent Parrillo.
Having recently visited Ellis Island, I was excited to learn about this novel, and I was not disappointed. The novel includes a lovely romance, but more important to me were the stories (based strictly on fact) about the immigrants, and the Ellis Island employees. I recommend this book to anyone interested in Ellis Island and the immigrant experience. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 6:42:09 AM PDT
Having a fine time with C.S. Forester's HORATIO HORNBLOWER series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 11:53:26 AM PDT
p m Tractor says:
ditto iam on Lord Hornblower
as good as but different O'Brian
you might like Alexander Kent early days to Great Lord...very similar to the above however would be number 3

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 11:59:56 AM PDT
Barbara says:
I'm about to finish 'The Winter Rose' by Jennifer Donnelly....great story, enjoying the characters and all of the well described emotions and settings. England during the early 1900s. Funny how politics & government seems the same now as it was then. ;)

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 12:10:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2012 12:12:35 PM PDT
KDen says:
The Devil's Tide (Devil's Fire 2) by Matt Tomerlin

If you like realistic pirate fiction, the sequel to Devil's Fire finally came out yesterday! Loved the first one. Read the first two chapters already and it looks to be just as good. Not for the squeamish! Lots of blood and sex.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 1:23:28 PM PDT
S. Delepine says:
I'm reading Varietal Tendencies: The Crush Chronicles, by Michael caldwell it's a multi-generational winemaking saga spanning World War II to present day, featuring Nazi plunder, San Francisco during the 60's and modern day Pinot Noir production in Oregon's Willamette Valley.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 8:05:41 AM PDT
Lee Pendu says:
The Titanic Plan blew me away. Engrossing and fast moving, it is a well written book about the battle of social, economic, and political forces in America 100 years ago -- a time that very much mirrors our own. It has the feel of Erik Larson's non-fiction book "Devil in the White City." An historical novel that rings very true. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 9:59:20 AM PDT
JoCat says:
I was so excited to find Legacy: Arthurian Saga (Four book bundle of Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment and The Wicked Day) last night. The four books in Mary Stewart's Merlin series for $6.99!!
They have always been favorites of mine

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 10:15:10 AM PDT
Mason Smith says:
Hi. I've been "lurking" in this discussion for a while. I appreciate all the great suggestions, and I really like reminders of some of the older books that I'd forgotten -- but would love to revisit. Thanks for the reminder about Mary Stewart, Joanne.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 10:18:35 AM PDT
JoCat says:
Mason - I love all her books but I'm an Arthur freak so the Merlin series has always been one of my favorites

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 10:21:37 AM PDT
Mason Smith says:
The Once and Future King? One of the great books I read as a child. I always mean to go back and see if it's as good as I remember it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 9:18:42 PM PDT
J. F. Patton says:
Agincourt, by Cornwell (2009) possibly one of the best historical fiction novels in many years. If you enjoyed thr Grail Quest series, this one is even better. His storytelling is riveting, the characters so vivid you'll dream about them. And he lays out one of the most amazing underdog victories in eyewitness detail.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 10:12:28 PM PDT
After you read "Agincourt", you should read Shakespeare's Henry V. The St Crispin's speech, among others, will bring tears to your eyes.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Historical Fiction forum (803 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  793
Total posts:  3531
Initial post:  Jul 16, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 84 customers

Search Customer Discussions