Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Historical Fiction forum

Looking for good historical fiction (late 1800's era)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-47 of 47 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2008 9:05:02 PM PST
I also loved Tea Rose and have just finished Winter Rose and as like you didn't love it ad Tea Rose... You may like No Angel
Something Dangerous And also Into Temptation a trilogy all by Penny Vincenzi. Its the life and times of the Lytton family from the late 1800's through many generations. Give these a read you may really enjoy them! You are in for a treat with Historical Fiction and don't limit yourself to any one time period you'll be pleasantly surprised and find great reading waiting for you inside of any time frame from the past! There are so many fantastic books and so little time!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2008 3:12:01 AM PST
Hi BookLover,

Here are a few of my favorites: Valley of Decision - Marica Davenport, Captains and the Kings - Taylor Caldwell, Rich Man, Poor Man -, Wheel of Fortune - Susan Howach, Penmarric - Susan Howach, Rebecca - Daphine DuMarrier. After you read these, you may want to go back in time a bit, so I recommend two others - Green Darkness and Katherine by Anya Seton.

All of these are wonderful stories with memorable characters and accurate historical backgrounds.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2008 8:26:22 AM PST
An excellent way to keep track of historical fiction is to join the Historical Novel Society. Their publications review books in different time periods, starting with prehistory, so you can immediately find the era you are interested in.

As for the late 18th Century: the famous Patrick O'Brien series, on the surface about the British Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars, but in truth a charming exposition of male friendship and the never-ending Mars-Venus divide; Bruce Alexander's sprightly Sir John Fielding mysteries, (Sir John, the blind magistrate, was Henry Fielding's brother and actually did create the first organized British police force); Georgette Heyer's romances (sounds like you are a romance reader); and, out of your period, in the heart of the Victorian era, John Fowles' gripping "French Lieutenant's Woman" which portrays a modern-thinking woman deemed mad in that repressive era.

Now my plug: if you are interested in Colonial America, go back 100 years and read "The Fall Line," a novel about early Virginia based on Bacon's Rebellion but also a love story. I write under my middle name (Errol Burland); you can get the book on Amazon.

Happy reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2008 3:53:15 PM PST
J. Robinson says:
You might want to try The Alienist, by Caleb Carr

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2008 5:01:51 PM PDT
Half Twain says:
Try Sarah's Wish. It puts you right there in the 19th century.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 3:14:30 PM PDT
J. Fuchs says:
Can't believe no one has recommended The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber.

Faber took 20 years to write his story of a street prositute, Suger, who rises through the classes to become mistress of a perfume tycoon and governess of his children. Incredibly detailed view of the Victorian-age class system, especially for women. The contrasts between Suger ahd her patron's wife are eye-opening.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2008 11:14:50 AM PDT
That is one of my favorite books! I loved that book. Was sorry to see it end.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2008 1:32:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2008 1:42:33 PM PDT
Selene says:
Michel Faber has written a follow-up collection of stories called:
"The Apple: New Crimson Petal Stories"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-New-Crimson-Petal-Stories/dp/1841959804/ref=pd_sbs_b_img_2
Not quite the sequel readers were hoping for, but still an intriguing further glimpse into Sugar's world.

MF has said that he won't write a sequel, but who knows? Quote from an interview:
"--There's no way I'm going to write a sequel to "The Crimson Petal and the White" just because so many people want one."
Full interview:
http://www.bordersstores.com/features/feature.jsp?file=faber2

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2008 1:38:03 PM PDT
Tim Hanson says:
Try Dickens of the Mounted.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2008 1:49:49 PM PDT
Selene says:
Tim, do you mean the novel by E. Nicol? It sounds really good. How intriguing- I'd never come across the story of the real-life Francis Dickens before. For anyone else interested, this article is quite informative:
http://members.memlane.com/djcarter/dickens/default.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2008 1:45:25 PM PDT
Nancy P. Krr says:
I Loved Nancy Livingston's Books, especially never were such times. I think you'll enjoy them. If you have any more suggestions for books of this kind, I'd love to hear about them. mitzikerr@comcast.net

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2008 2:58:33 PM PDT
Selene says:
Nancy, you might like Tracy Chevalier's novel, "Falling Angels"
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/tracy-chevalier/falling-angels.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2008 3:03:54 PM PDT
Nancy P. Krr says:
Thanks - I'll order it. I'm a voracious reader and just can't get enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2008 9:30:01 AM PDT
I love a lot of the books recommended here (though Amelia Peabody is well into the 20th century by now), but since the ones you mentioned were mysteries of a sort, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Anne Perry's wonderful books. The Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series (about a gently-bred, but unconventional, young woman who marries a policeman) are set in the 1880-90s, and I think that one is my favorite. The William Monk series, set in the 1860s, is about another London policeman who works with a woman who was a nurse under Florence Nightingale. She's started another series set during WWI, but so far I haven't been able to get into it. I recommend the others highly, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2008 5:17:31 PM PDT
MVA says:
Sure! Try Larry Kimport's A SMALL HARVEST OF PRETTY DAYS. It's a wonderful little love story/murder mystery set in 1890 Pennsylvania. From railroading and lumbering to leisure and fashion - it's all 1890 (with a 50 year old Huck Finn falling in love to boot!)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2008 10:11:35 PM PDT
NLO says:
not quite late 1800's but "Gotcha" by David Dannegger is a great historical fiction novel.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2008 6:09:16 PM PDT
A. Hobbs says:
A good suggestion list L. S. Jaszczak.

I'm working on putting together some good reading on Victorian-era myself. If anyone can add to great international authors outside the U.S. then I'll be happy to take notes. Here's my list of Victorian-era...
Great Victorian sagas-

Kitty McKenzie by Anne Whitfield
series by Catherine Cookson
series by Anita Burgh
series by Audrey Howard

international authors of historical/romance (1800's):
Ridge Hill by Anna Jacobs (Australian)
Emily by Valerie Wood (UK)
Anne Whitfield (Australian)

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2008 8:27:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2008 9:25:52 PM PDT
Selene says:
A Hobbs, Barbara Bradford Taylor has written several books along C19th family saga lines, also Jessica Stirling, Josephine Cox, Iris Gower, Meg Hutchinson and Mary Jane Staples.
If you'd like to check their book listings, I suggest www.fantasticfiction.co.uk.
If you enter the name of your author you'll get a list of any series written in chronological order, plus any one-off novels written.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2008 9:56:11 AM PDT
CLM says:
Have you read Elswyth Thane? Try to find her book, Ever After, followed by The Light Heart.

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 10:43:14 AM PST
D. Gallagher says:
Victoria Thompson's books are wonderful. I love that time period.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 11:17:53 PM PST
Hi, I'm a Dorothy Dunnett fan who is moving up to the 19th century.
Can you recommend some HF novels that elucidate the factors that led up to WWI, perhaps starting with the Napoleonic wars.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 12:04:45 PM PST
Fred Staff says:
I have a book coming out this month. Young Bass Reeves. It is based on probably the most unbelievable character that I have ever researched. I am a history teacher and lover of the west and I guarantee you that if you like history adventure and fast moving stories it will please you. This is the first of a trilogy about an unforgettable man. I also have a book Rocha's Treasure of Potosi that is a page turner and full of factual events and adventure.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Historical Fiction forum (815 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Help me find my next book...fairly specific 6 Apr 28, 2016
Bernard Cornwell - what should I read first? 13 Apr 22, 2016
For Those Who Have Read Books On The Arthurian Legend Which Do You Think Are The Best? 37 Apr 2, 2016
Best Historical Fiction you've read recently 3531 Feb 16, 2016
The Legend of King Arthur 0 Feb 16, 2016
Can anyone recommend older authors of historical adventures 62 Jan 13, 2016
WWII Resistance Novels 24 Jan 12, 2016
Highland thriller/mystery non-romance 0 Jan 1, 2016
What historical novel are you reading now? 367 Oct 7, 2015
obsessed/stalker 0 Oct 6, 2015
Looking for books where main male and female characters have viewpoints consistent with time period they live in? 5 Sep 24, 2015
Bar none the very best historical novels . . . . 8613 Sep 20, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 10, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions