Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Historical Fiction forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 25, 2010 6:36:59 PM PST
I read Devil Water by Anya Seton and loved it, but when I read another book by her (Dragonwyck) I only moderately enjoyed it. Also, I don't think Anya has written anything else that centers on Jacobites. I've also read all the Karleen Koen books, and they're some of my favorite historical novels. Does anyone have suggestions for books similar to those or Devil Water?

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 5:25:00 AM PST
Joe Hohmann says:
My suggestion is that topic titles like "Suggestions?" or "Please help" be more specific as to subject matter. "Suggestions for books similar to Devil Water" may work. Sorry to be a pain, but I see this a lot on other groups I'm on.

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 2:28:00 PM PST
Haha. Yeah, I guess I was being a little vague.

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 1:33:18 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 6, 2011 8:07:34 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 3:31:55 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 8, 2011 8:28:48 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2011 4:08:13 PM PST
Misfit says:
**scratches head**

How is this book similar to Devil Water and the topic of Jacobites?

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 4:51:05 PM PST
squeaks1111 says:
Jacobites are in Outlander Outlander: A Novel

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2011 5:09:34 PM PST
@Misfit: probably another hit and run. No use saying much of anything.

But Mr. Lindermuth if you do come back, polish up that Hook Paragraph and then you're welcome to plaster it on the St. Patrick's Day thread in this HF section. Er. Once, one post. Tell us why your novel is unique, how it differs from the other police vs oirish coal miners stories. Etc.

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 2:02:37 PM PDT
I was actually looking for coal mining books the other day... I don't know, flight of fancy, I guess :) Funny coincidence.
But yeah, not really like Devil Water.

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 3:03:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2011 3:25:47 PM PDT
Lilacteapot says:
Try Winter Sea. I inserted the Kindle link but it's available in other forms. You might also try books by Barbara Erskine. Lady of Hay

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 2:22:29 PM PDT
Kathy says:
Check out Linda Hubalek's two series about Swedish immigrants that settled in Kansas in 1868 after the Civil War when the homesteading act made land available.
Her third series is about pioneers from KY and OH that settled near Lawrence KS when the territory opened up in 1854, and goes through the Civil War.
All series are available in paperback and ebook form.
Here's the link for the books:

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 2:43:18 PM PDT
Ah, the Jacobites of Kansas....

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 2:43:57 PM PDT
Winter Sea looks promising. Thanks for the link!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 2:56:29 PM PDT
Misfit says:
Lol. I second the rec on The Winter Sea, it is very good and enjoyed the *present day* story as much as the one in the past.

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 4:47:52 PM PDT
Misfit says:
There is also The Jacobite Trilogy (The Flight of the Heron, The Gleam in the North, The Dark Mile) which I have not yet read. I own a copy, but I've seen mixed reviews.

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 1:07:16 PM PDT
Thanks, Misfit.

Posted on Mar 21, 2011 6:42:01 AM PDT
Cross Cut Alley is an engaging piece of young adult fiction, filled with a welth of imagery which faithfully recreates the feel of small-town America, in the early 1960's."
Brian Golden ...The Evening Sun, Norwich NY.
Author Herm Sherwood-Sitts ISBN# 978-1-4560-3716-1
Genre: 14 and up! (available at

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 7:36:26 AM PDT
Misfit says:
*scratches head*

Herman, could you please tells us how your book set in the 1960's suits the request of the original poster? I am curious...

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 2:11:34 AM PDT
Pat Winter says:
The Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award is in full swing with many fresh historical novels in both the General and Young Adult categories.

ABNA has put quarter final titles up for FREE download during the contest. Your review will be part of the selection process. Do you like well-researched stories about the New World before Europeans arrived? Here's the opening scene of JAGUAR KING...

5 Night Wing was the first to see the jaguar playing with the children. She stared in grief and disbelief at the chief's three youngsters romping on the village path with the immense cat that weighed more than three armed warriors. The jungle simmered beyond, green but thirsty, the parched gray green of drought. Two older children ran off giggling down the sloping trail leaving the little boy alone with the jaguar.
Gathering light spilled through the trees and onto the ancient lane beside the canal where carp sucked spiders and water trickled over the spillway of a wooden lock.
A frog splashed.
A birdcall echoed through the rustling trees that named the village.
The chief's baby son picked up the muscled rope of spotted tail and began to chew it...

The last Maya Indian city-state in 10th century Mexico is collapsing under hauntingly familiar ecological disasters after generations of perfect corn-growing weather. Withering drought leaves the JAGUAR KING unable to pay off two seasons of seed-corn debt to Toltec invaders. Forced to celebrate humiliating public defeat, he is a king without a kingdom exiled on a floating pyramid, reduced under Toltec custody as deliveryman of corn cargo to other indebted coastal nations. Obsessed with acquiring a new domain, his opportunity comes in a life-&-death ballgame played with a losing captain's head as the ball. He is a star player whose palace guard doubles as his unbeaten team against Toltec clients who field an undefeated champion-- a young giant, a prince whose uncle sold him into slavery and usurped his Mississippi chiefdom.
After wreaking ghastly revenge on the Toltecs, king and prince mastermind an allied takeover from the usurper who needs the king's expertise to finish a massive pyramid still standing across the River from St. Louis, Missouri. Will the JAGUAR KING sacrifice his family and loyal followers to reach the usurper's kill zone, then betray his new ally in a power grab, gambling on good weather to repeat the ecologically unsound practices of slash-&-burn deforestation, labor overpopulation and single-crop dependence that collapsed his Mexican throne?
Told from the point-of-view of a peasant girl who dares to interfere with a sacred cat's wild desire, JAGUAR KING follows the moccasin tracks of Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales, authors such as Zane Grey, Gary Jennings, James Alexander Thom, and movies such as Dances With Wolves and Apocalypto that appeal to all readers who crave historic action-adventure, martial arts thrillers enriched with elements of science fiction and magical realism.

JAGUAR KING (The Mississippi Saga)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2011 3:56:31 AM PDT
Misfit says:
Um, the OP was asking for books similar to Devil Water. I'm thinking Jaguar King is not the best fit for her.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2011 5:42:54 AM PDT
Of course it's similar! It has a beginning, middle, and end and it's written in English.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2011 7:21:13 AM PDT
Misfit says:
Oh, silly me for missing that point. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways :p

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 6:01:10 AM PDT
Vered Ehsani says:
Well, since we are all getting totally irrelevant and off the original topic in our suggestions, I'll just add another then! About the start of the American Revolution through the eyes of a teenage boy.
Diary of a Part-Time Ghost
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Historical Fiction forum (812 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Historical Fiction forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Jan 25, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 31, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions