Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports
Customer Discussions > History forum

Hitler's mistakes

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 7326-7350 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:43:53 PM PST
Aluf B. says:
Warren:
Women got the vote in the USA by being suffragists and pushing for it. If memory serves me well, they were told then that there were other issues to be fixed, that is Black people's issues came first. How could they not be at the same time? Those in power thought they were loosing control of their power. Right?

Hillary might not be in this second Presidency, if she plans to be on the next one as President She needs time to prepare. We still don't know what she will decide to do.

I heard Ruth Ginsburg talk in a Commencement I was so impressed by what she said.

I have an ugly doll with glasses and a t shirt that says: Any woman can be President. We shall wait, and perhaps this is a repeat of the suffragist issue: there had to be Obama first, then a woman, and perhaps later a Jew in the Presidency. The latter is a fat chance to happen, probably never, but perhaps a woman yes.
Also remember that women are very divided in the reborn Feminist movement. Do you remember Schlafly and her dictum that we will share bathrooms men and women in one bathroom! Is that the integration you want? Yea.......
Women are their worst enemies. If so, I don't blame men for this lack of escalation to power.

What I do argue is the salaries that I did discover by myself: being paid 2,000 dollars less for the same work that I was doing a long time ago. My boss said "your husband supports you, he has to support his family." That answer is not the point, my work was. I was not so shy as not to fight and three months later this was equalized.
While in the subway in Paris, France, I was able to see that this happens there too. I took a photograph of a subway train station poster that said exactly that: women and me should be paid the same for the same work. It is still 70 cents to a dollar? :-)

Yes, women and law, but there is also a gap of women and science, even though more PH. D are women they are not in the science field and this is a loss too. I wish to understand why, but I know: math was difficult for me when younger, until I found a teacher that cared. The one that did not care said to me: " don't worry.... you are woman and you don't need math as much! Yuch......

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:23:07 PM PST
Jeedgr says:
Rachel, Congratulations on being a Grandmother again. Five Grandchildren in this day and age is something to be very very proud of for sure. Enjoy every minute of being a new G'ma and also say hello to the new G'pa.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 5:34:17 PM PST
Leslie Funk says:
WOW! That is awsome! Congratulations, and I hope all is well with the mom, dad, baby, and grandparents. That is great news!

Double cheers, Les

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 5:37:36 PM PST
Leslie Funk says:
Hi Rachel...

We have seen what men can do in power, around the planet, so why not give women a shot at it? Can it be any worse?

Cheers, Les

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:46:56 PM PST
JagdTiger says:
It actually be worse since woman can act more viscous than men sometimes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:06:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 5:03:23 PM PST
Aluf B. says:
Leslie:
Thanks for all the cheers and I am thrilled and so are the parents. All is going well.

Have you forgotten women in power: Catherine the Great, Elizabeth the First, Isabella. My favorite is Elizabeth and she was such smart lady and that is why she didn't marry. She would have lost power and she surrounded herself by great advisers and lovers. Catherine knew French and she spoke with Diderot and even invited him to come to St. Petersburg to finish the Encyclopedia. Yet, she had an entrenched bureaucracy very jealous of their privileges and she could not advance her ideas but did amplify her Empire at the expense of Poland. Isabella, well she was the main force to unify Spain as a Catholic nation. So yes, there are women that can rule and rule well. No question about this.

However, not so in the States. What happened to Ann Hutchinson? The Hutchinson River Parkway is named for her. Do you know about Molly Pitcher? the brave homesteaders in the conquest of the West?
But never in power. I would argue that the basis is a religious one rather than a secular issue. It is Biblical and it is Christian too. Didn't St. Paul say that women should be silent in the church? We don't perceive this but it is there. Surely, also there is the social gender issue that women give birth and breastfed ( before technology) and this tied them up no to seek power but to nurse the young and protect the niche. This way we have the societal issue of divide and conquer, and if you apply this to the Feminism of the sixties period you will see how women were very cruel to one another.

Can women be worse?
_ I have know women I don't trust at all, they are very wrapped in themselves and see any other woman as a threat to them in the labor force.
_ kindness is seen with distrust- namely, why are you helping me? What is your agenda behind?
Well not there was no agenda but helping another woman, yet they were suspicious.

Then we have what is called the glass ceiling, which some women have broken, but not many and even those who do after a while get tired of having to prove by working twice as much than men that they deserve that high position. Thus we go back to square one dear.

You said double cheers and I say double thanks :-)

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:06:36 PM PST
Aluf B. says:
viscous?

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:19:00 PM PST
JagdTiger says:
Lol..I meant vicious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:02:13 PM PST
Gregory Mays says:
>> A little young man that will be named on Tuesday :-)<<

I was without a name for a week. My mother dug in her heels against her in-laws, that wanted me to be Richard Jr. Her brother was a 'Richard Jr' and she hated the the whole 'junior' thing, and wouldn't budge. After a week, my aunt Marrieta arrived in a huff, said enough was enough, and pronounced me Gregory.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:43:12 PM PST
Gregory Mays says:
>>The electoral college? Can you talk more about this for me.<<

The best way to think about it is twofold I think:

One:
In the 1780's they wanted a way the President couldn't just win Philadelphia, NYC and Boston, and ignore everyplace else. IOW, how can outlying areas' weight get magnified. Every State gets two electoral slots, to start things off. Then it goes by population to get the rest. So, it's a lot like the US Congress in a way. Small place voices are slightly amplified.

Two:
How do you guard against political movements that are fundamentally unsound, but briefly popular. Think Nazis.. But also think about the insurrection waged by Oliver Cromwell against the British Crown. Which was very much in the 18th Century British memory. The Electoral College members themselves, are appointed by sitting legislatures. They reflect the political status quo, much more than the general public opinion does, in all likelihood.
Having said all that...when there are extreme splits and polarization, the race is run in a handful of states. In today's case about 9 states. It was very much the same way in the 1850's. The Civil War was very much about the South becoming an increasingly diminished voice on the National Stage. They became convinced that no Southerner could become President, and their views would never be supported in Congress.
And to their point, the first President after the Civil War to come from the South, got there through Assassination.(LB Johnson) But, come to think of it, Andrew Johnson was also from the South, and got to the Presidency through Lincoln's Assassination. He was eventually impeached because of the implicit and deep seated mistrust of anyone from a Confederate state. Shoot, the Army thought the assassination itself, was a Confederacy wide plot.

In case you don't realize it yet. Doing anything different in terms of the Electoral College, would take a Constitutional amendment. And 3/4 of the States would never ratify it. Because there are so many small states, and states losing population. None of them wants to reduce their own voice.
By the way, Prohibition was about the fastest amendment passed and ratified. You know what was second? The 14th. Abolishing Slavery. The Emancipation Proclamation was a wartime executive order. To amend the Constitution, they had to act before the South was re-admitted into the Union. If the South were included, 3/4 of the States could have never ratified it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:57:24 PM PST
Gregory Mays says:
>> Those in power thought they were loosing control of their power. Right?<<

Remember one thing. Many people felt that voting proceeded on the basis of land ownership. Poll taxes and the like. Women came into possession of property through what some people felt were anomalous methods. Various forms of inheritance. There was general concern, at the time, about the political competency of women, based on their method of attaining property. It was a bogus argument, but it took place nonetheless
Woman Suffrage started in the 1870's in America. I think what pushed the envelope, was women gaining suffrage in Britain, but especially the role of woman equality in post Bolshevik Russia. Our country, pretty much right away, wanted to do away with any and all arguments in favor of the Leninist/Marxist view of Society.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:09:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:15:27 PM PST
Gregory Mays says:
>>I wish to understand why, but I know: math was difficult for me when younger, until I found a teacher that cared. <<

The way we understand, study, and apply math and science is a system constructed by men. It should be no surprise that these methods lean towards men.
Along that line:
During the rise of home appliances, in the late 19th century, all sales people were men. Then....Singer invented the Sewing Machine. For the first time, the device could only be sold by women. First as assistants to salesmen, but very quickly as commissioned sales agents. American women refused to buy sewing machines until it was demonstrated properly, and only women could do that.
Sexually biased situations, are actually the norm, not the exception.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:20:07 AM PST
Jeedgr says:
How names chosen. I was born the youngest of four boys in January 1939 during a blizzard in Upstate New York. My father was acting county Highway Commissoner getting roads open, and three of my mothers sisters were helping her out with home care, etc. One version of my birth is that it was normal in the hospital with my father there, then mom's and me were sent home. A nurse and the small town clerk showed up to give me an official birth certificate, they needed a name, so my mothers sisters glanced through a local paper seeing that a "John Eric" Somebody had just retired as Elevator operator at the towns only hotel, the "Governor Clinton". This is going to be an interesting set of write-ups on how we got our names!! Waiting to hear from Vesp on this one!! JEE

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:31:04 AM PST
Rachel: Good post by Greg on the college. I am a history buff but not into current politics but this one had people red hot,since I am laid back
I just don't get into current discussions one on one. Millions and millions spent by some people and Super Pacs and nothing changed.
Read American history. I stick with my comment you have three powers here: Congress,The Supreme Court,and money to buy members of Congress
and lobbyists,trying to buy a President does not work even though it take a huge amount of money to run for that office.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:33:05 AM PST
Rachel: Congrats on the new grandbaby. Enjoy them now,they will be grown before you know it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:12:55 AM PST
Aluf B. says:
And Gregory you are and you became a nice person. I would also hate the Jr. thing.
So I, from afar, will argue the issue of your name is whom you become by your own merits.
In that sense in it is interesting the difference between Ashkenazi Jews and Sphardii. The latter have the custom of yes making Jrs with the same name, among Ashkenazim this is not the way. It is better to remember someone who is not here.
However, I resisted that custom since cousins had already used the same names and I wanted my children to be unique. That caused conflict with my own folks, but it I am responsible of them and naming them. So this baby boy will be named as the parents want, and I will be happy with their choice.
It is snowing here and therefore you find me early in the computer trying to decide if I drive or not.

I decided to stay and be safe. The snow in my locality is enough for me not to drive. One lesson lost is not the big deal though it is quite interesting and I handed in my own work already.

Stay safe yourself.

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:21:33 AM PST
Aluf B. says:
Gregory:

This is the best explanation that I have had of the electoral college and yes I knew about Southern issues. Today there is even more polarization in the political climate. Thus this is why the electoral college has an impact. Of course you are correct who wants to not have a voice in this.
Yes, the Abolishing of slavery was fast. Then Came Reconstruction and a certain neglect from the North to the South- because of the impact of the Civil War itself,-. The resented carpetbaggers, and the way the South reconstructed itself, allowed for more injustices- that in a way still sting,

A nice post too. Thanks.

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:27:06 AM PST
Aluf B. says:
Gregory:

Yes, land ownership has always been an issue since the House of Burghesses. Hence the Virginia Dynasty.
The last sentence made it finally clear why women were given the vote. See that this was similar in Latin America.

As for Russia, this started way before in terms of allowing women to the university, if not allowed in Poland they ran away to Zurich like Rosa Luxemburg and many other males did. Education was the door and one woman was part of the Revolutionaries in the killings of one of the Czars. Tsar or Czar why d the different spelling and which is right?

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:33:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 5:04:52 PM PST
Aluf B. says:
Gregory:

Correct. Even that had a gender issue!
I also know that when patterns were made it was women who bought them and sewed their own clothes. Thus in this way homesteaders would be as well dressed as the urban ladies who could already soon buy ready made in the stores. The issue of sizes then is crazy and still is. It depends on the maker.
I have small feet and I was sent to the junior department to buy my size. It took a while until they woke up and made correct shoe sizes as well as petite clothing. The worst were the pregnancy clothes that we had to wear: too full of lacy stuff and ugly. Now it is so stylish! Yes, the latter was a change made by the feminists in the sixties and by the way there are tall women too............ We don't come in one size fits all. :-)

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:38:54 AM PST
Aluf B. says:
Jeedgr:
names to be given to women once celebrities became a household word. Sabrina, Marylin, Audrey and so on. Yet, see that usually Biblical names continue to be perceived as beautiful. both Hebrew canon and NT.
I was named for a grandmother whom my mother never saw again because of the big migration. Then there was the issue of Hebrew names and this is why Rachel as part of my name.

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:41:28 AM PST
Aluf B. says:
Warren:

Thank you very much. That reminds me of the sentimental song of Fiddler on the roof. When did they grow to be so...... and we so old!

Grandmas are there to make memories and this is my goal.

Thanks,
Rachel

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:47:49 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
I have zero respect for Hillary Clinton, and even less for her disbarred-lawyer husband. And they're a package deal; you get him again with her.

Andrew Johnson was from Tennessee, but remained loyal to the Union; he was rewarded for this later. Yet his Southern status (though not the Deep South) was not forgotten by the Radical Republicans, who impeached him later (he survived). Johnson was an uneducated former tailor who possessed none of Abraham Lincoln's vast charm and political skills.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:51:09 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
The real Presidential election interest is 2016, with no incumbent. The Republicans had better start looking for a viable female candidate right now. Another wealthy white guy, and they're going to have problems yet again.

One of the major ironies of our time is that, although rich white men are getting richer by the day, their political clout is being steadily diluted, at the same time.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:53:29 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
The only office which utilizes the Electoral College is the Presidency. It should be abolished. There is no reason why the individual who receives the most votes for President, throughout the country, should not be President, of the entire country.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:01:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 10:01:29 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
The electoral college dilutes the "one person, one vote" principle. If you live in Rhode Island, or Montana, or Mississippi, your vote for President simply doesn't count nearly as much as if you live in California, Texas, or New York. Your vote should weigh the same no matter where you reside.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the History forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  166
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 1, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions