Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > History forum

Coupt killed Hitler 1944?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 15, 2012 2:30:33 PM PDT
I am not sure this had been discussed but are there any credible ideas what might have happened had the coups against Hitler succeeded and him actually dying.

There are several questions. How would the rest of those in power react would Hitler being dead lead to the conpirators actually taking power. If not who know who would step in and what kind of leadership they would present.

Had the coup or any other leader wanted to end the war what would they face. Could there be terms on the surrender that would not be accpetable to such a radical country where with credibel miliaries could carry on for at least another year and cause more death possibly under less manical leaddership than Hitler. In 1944 there were still many German troops being wasted in stand and fight orders. There is the chance that the Polish Uprising could have been accepted and greeted with some offer.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 10:14:00 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 28, 2013 10:14:05 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 3:55:48 AM PST
had Hitler been killed, Goering, Himmler, or Goebels would have become Fuehrer most likely, or they'd have formed a triumvirate.
I doubt it would have made much of a difference at the time, though it might have meant a more rapid German surrender to the western allies in say March instead of May 1945, possibly ending the war with a bit less terrain in the hands of the Soviets, and thus an iron curtain in a slightly different position.

Other than that? No real difference, things were in motion that even the death of Hitler before the day he did could do little to influence.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:27:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:34:32 AM PST
Mickey says:
I have read the Allied leaders would not have changed their policy one bit - it would have remained unconditional surrender.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:12:52 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Joseph M. Creaney says:

[I am not sure this had been discussed but are there any credible ideas what might have happened had the coups against Hitler succeeded and him actually dying.]

I suppose it depends on what coup you are talking about. I guess the earlier he was killed the more significant the effect on history would have been.

Hitler could have been killed many times throughout his life. He was lucky he survived his father's beatings I think.

He could have easily been killed during World War I and apparently almost was.

When Hitler was trying to seize power during the early years fights would often break out between the Nazis and other groups like the communists. People got beat up. Sometimes they got killed. During one of those meetings Hitler took out his own pistol and fired it to quiet everyone down.

Hitler almost got killed during his failed Beer Hall Putsch. One of Adolf's loyal followers stepped in front of his beloved leader and took some bullets that were intended for Adolf.

I realize I'm getting off the subject. You mean coups that happened sometime after the Nazis got a stranglehold on Germany but I'm not sure exactly when you mean.

I have heard on TV that there were over 40 assassinate plots against Hitler. One guy came very close by blowing up the podium where Adolf gave a speech but Adolf left the meeting early. The bomb went off precisely as planned and killed some other people I think.

Some people in these forums have said the allies were thinking about assassinating Hitler but they felt he was more of an asset to them alive and still in power.

Hitler himself had a fatalistic attitude about life. He felt it was divine providence that put him into power and the Fates would protect him.

Unfortunately for people like Hitler there comes a point where surrender is not an option. This becomes very dangerous for everyone else when that type of person is in power. He knew what would have happened if the allies, especially the Russians, had ever been able to get their hands on him alive. For Hitler victory or death were the only options.

That's what happened on a much smaller scale with David Koresh and the Branch Davidians. Once Koresh and his pals killed the ATF agents he knew he was facing the death penalty.

Like Koresh Hitler was also a cult leader. Those are all the dangers when evil people get control of the minds and wills of others.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:38:05 PM PST
Yes, the point is once the war started or progresses beyind 1941 if Hitler was more of a hinderance to the progress of the war. Many of the blunders that lead to a German defeat can be traced to the times that Hitler overruled his commanders and lead to bad situations becomming worse.

I read two books on how the war could have turned out different had the commanders actually had a free hand in pulling back and saving troop formations. Several examples were given were large numbers of troops were commtted to lost fronts. Sening the reserve to North Africa after the allies had an overwhelming advantage. Even a few weeks earlier units were not told to stand down right before the invasion.

One Commander did get around that Col Von Luck who caused a great deal of problems for the invasion. We can look at the waste of resources on super tanks or they dealy of the Me 262. Even if the Germans would not be allowed to surrender with someone like Romel at the top.

The allies never had a serious failure of a major operation. Take into account some major victory against say Normandy or a significant victory over soviet formations where German units gain the initiave agian.

I have always been facinated with military simulation and if different decissions and strategies were implyed. With experience in war operation many simulation leave out the many key areas such as logistics and the routince challenges that make even simple operations difficult. Even some leader that tests Enigma and learns that it has flaws.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 3:05:28 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Joseph M. Creaney says:

[I have always been facinated with military simulation and if different decissions and strategies were implyed.]

I tend to view 'what if' scenarios more from the perspective of the Fates and the struggle between good and evil. This causes me to ask more general questions as opposed to the specifics which I am often not very familiar with anyway.

You and I have discussed Homer's Iliad bloodbath story. In the story Zeus and the others have a direct role in the Trojan War.

The Nazis also thought in those terms although I suspect some believed in the occult more than others. Himmler was a true believer.

Hitler viewed himself as a messianic figure or at least that's the way he was presented to the German people.

World War II was a very dangerous and precarious time for our world as was the Cold War. Whether we are more or less safe now I'm not sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 7:52:17 AM PST
*I tend to view 'what if' scenarios more from the perspective of the Fates and the struggle between good and evil. This causes me to ask more general questions as opposed to the specifics which I am often not very familiar with anyway.

The war itself was evil and the Nazis as well but you also had Stalin which was not that much different and actual events after the war were not that humane. I don't see a worse ending to the war with the Soviets being pushed back and the war ending a few months later with atomic bomb drops on two German cities.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 8:00:34 AM PST
Had Hitler been killed the rest would have turned on each other.Hitler was the wing nut that held the nazis together!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 10:47:14 AM PST
history channel made a case for hitler escaping to SA
he used man ybody doubles just like saddam and other dictators did

credible evidence was presented that he escaped and may still be alive although very very old now

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 4:13:58 PM PST
Suet says:
He would be 124 this year.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 11:09:57 AM PST
well Hitler was born 4-20-1889,was in bad shape in 45,I think he's gone.Long gone!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 1:30:59 AM PST
History channel has made the case that the world will surely end on 21 December 2012 as predicted by the Mayans AFTER that date...

They've made the case that the pyramids are landing pads for "ancient astronauts" without mentioning any contradictory scientific fact.

They should be renamed to "Conspiracy Theory Channel".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:11:24 PM PST
*They should be renamed to "Conspiracy Theory Channel".

Yes, they have quite a bit of those shows, but those are the good ones because most of the time they just have drama reality shows which I don't watch. They did have the Bible, the story of Mankind and Vikings.

I saw a few really good shows about the secrets of Christanity this weekend talking about Constantine and the Journy of Jesus and that it was likely that a lost tribe of Israel went to Spain. I find Sinka Yakabovich often contraversial he does offer some theories that some are more plausable than others.

H2 has a good varitey of programming.
Modeern Marbles, The Universe, How the Earth was Made, The men who built America was great.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 4:28:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 4:38:22 PM PST
F. Gleaves says:
H2 should be named the A2 (Ancient Aliens) channel, but I really liked that model of a Maya Chieftain/Ancient Astronaut copied from a Mayan Pyramid carving. I thought the 'Saqqara Bird' made a convincing small-scale model of a possible Ancient Egyptian glider. Well, Ptolemaic era it seems (200 BC).

Anyway, they have Plenty of fall-back positions - Coronal Mass Ejections this year could still be enough to threaten the National Power Grid, the Polar Shift continues to accelerate and it's not yet Spring 2013, the eruption of the Yellowstone Super Volcano every 600,000 years is now 40,001 years overdue, and Russia just got in the headlines when it took a hit from a very small asteroid.

I was happy my brother & I were able to convince my mom last time I visited that the potential 3300' megatsunami when a large chunk of La Palma Island tumbles into the Atlantic will dissipate to under 164' by the time it reaches her. She's only 91...

And Sinka Yakabovich is always fun.. ;^)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the History forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Aug 15, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions