Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Customer Discussions > History forum

Please! Help me find this book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 2:44:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 3:04:58 PM PST
I'm looking for a book that consist of a series of graphic full-page illustrations showing the changing of a city from a small village through the different ages as it grows into a modern city. I can't remember the name of the book or the author, but I know he published at least two different books because I owned both of them and let them get away. Please help me.

I'd like to give more clues, but they are sketchy. The illustrations began as aerial renditions of the site beginning when the tribe was just a hunter/gatherer people, next view was putting down roots and establishing crops, next was building walls, next was extending the walled city into defensive fortifications, next was growing outside the walls, and so on it went until the last graphic rendition was the modern city. It was a coffee table size book with pen and ink graphics. As a city planner, it held special interest. It shows the history/growth of the modern city. I will post in science also.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:51:09 PM PST
more clues

how is this hisroty

who is the author
what were the otehr books

this sounds more like a science or sociology book

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:01:53 PM PST
True, I'd like to give more clues, but they are sketchy. The illustrations began as aerial renditions of the site beginning when the tribe was just a hunter/gatherer people, next view was putting down roots and establishing crops, next was building walls, next was extending the walled city into defensive fortifications, next was growing outside the walls, and so on it went until the last graphic rendition was the modern city. It was a coffee table size book with pen and ink graphics. As a city planner, it held special interest. It shows the history/growth of the modern city. I will post in science also.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:03:00 PM PST
sounds like a national geo book
or one from the history/science cable channels

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:06:21 PM PST
Thanks, I'll inquire over at those sites also.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:08:31 PM PST
worth a shot

if you know anything definitive even a phrase
google can often pop up the rest of the info from that

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:19:13 PM PST
Thanks, horse: but all I have are memories of the graphics..

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:58:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 9:01:44 AM PST
Lientje says:
I doubt that the books I have are the specific ones are you looking for, but you might give them a try. One is a series put
out by Dorling Kindersley. The Titles I have are "A City Through Time: From Ancient Colony to Vast Metropolis," "A Port
Through Time: 10,000 Yrs. Journey from trading Post to Modern Seaport," "A Street Through Time, 12,000 year Walk Through History," "A Farm
Through Time, History of a Farm from Medieval Times to the Present Day," and "Story of the Nile, Journey Through Time Along the
World's Longest River." Three or four of them are written by Dr. Anne Millard.

Then there are 3 books written by Richard Platt which all start with the words "Through Time." They are visual histories of London, Beijing and Pompeii.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:42:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 8:42:38 PM PST
sleep on it
it may come back to you

only need one concrete clue for google to find it

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 9:59:45 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Dan C. Boutwell says:

[Please help me.]

Do you know how to use a search engine like Google:

https://www.google.com/

You can enter some words to search on.

Once you get to the results page you can click on the thing that looks like a gear to make your search more specific.

Over on the Advanced Search page you can enter your search criteria in the indicated areas. Over on the right hand side it tells you how to do the same things directly within your search command.

Like you can surround a string of words in double quote marks to have it search for that exact phrase:

Put exact words in quotes: "rat terrier"

You can tell it find all of the words, any of the words, NOT any of the words, and a few others.

Jeff Marzano

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 3:24:19 PM PST
we told him that already
if you read the posts

he doesnt have any words to put in yet
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the History forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
436 Mar 8, 2016
We have defeated the wrong enemy 46 3 minutes ago
Trump assassination I 55 14 minutes ago
JFK Assassination Part V 7158 21 minutes ago
Chancellorsville... 32 49 minutes ago
Gary Hart, what coulda been, woulda been ... 58 1 hour ago
A Place For Pro-Israel Posters IV 375 2 hours ago
History of the Palestinian Nation (Part IV) 7432 2 hours ago
Son of Yehudi Menuhin Questions Holocaust 143 3 hours ago
USN getting serious about drones 16 4 hours ago
The Shoho Sleeps with the Fishes 3 11 hours ago
Il Ducé, 46 1 day ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions