Customer Discussions > History forum

Why the obsession with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in this forum?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 229 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 25, 2010 10:24:16 AM PDT
Yo says:
This is far and away the most discussed topic in this forum. Why?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 10:57:18 AM PDT
Suet says:
I've seen it described by the fans as 'the worst violation of human rights in 60 years'. Just goes to show what they know.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 11:03:08 AM PDT
Suetonius says:

"I've seen it [Israeli treatment of Palestinians] described by the fans as 'the worst violation of human rights in 60 years'. "

Suetonius apparently does not agree with this.

And yes, it does not compare with Pol Pot, Rwanda, and some others.

But it is very bad. And the United States is more than complicit.

The U.S. gives (not loans, but gives) more money to Israel than any other recipient of foreign aid. The U.S. also consistently supports the Israeli government, even when it is unpopular within Israel.

The U.S. could have enormous influence on changing Israeli policy (unplug the money), but refuses to.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 11:07:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2010 11:16:01 AM PDT
Suet says:
Schumacher says: "it does not compare with Pol Pot, Rwanda, and some others."

Correct. It is approximately the 100th worst violation of human rights in 60 years. I have already mentioned that the Syrian Ba'athists probably killed more Arab civilians in a month at Hama than the IDF has in 60 years.

The question is: why are people like you so obsessed with it? I know why some of you are, but not all of you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 11:26:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2010 11:31:02 AM PDT
P.Schumacher writes:

And yes, it does not compare with Pol Pot, Rwanda, and some others.

But it is very bad. And the United States is more than complicit.

Not nearly as complicit as the US is in the death of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi and Afghan civilians. Or Vietnam. In the second battle of Fallujah alone (Nov 2004), the US was responsible for 25,000-35,000 civilian deaths over just a few days by indiscriminate artillery fire. But I'll be you don't consider the U.S. to be among "the worst violators of human rights in the last 60 years"

What outrages defenders of Israel is the absurd double standard that applies - Sudan and China get to sit on the UN Human Rights commissions and make proclamations about how Israel violates civil rights.

Even Mary Robinson, notorious for organizing the viciously anti-Zionist Durban conference, said when she explained why she turned down the commission Goldstone ended up heading:

"I refused to accept the invitation from the president of the Human Rights Council at the time, Ambassador Martin Uhomoibhi of Nigeria, to lead the investigation following the Human Rights Council's January 12, 2009 resolution. As a former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, I felt strongly that the Council's resolution was one-sided and did not permit a balanced approach to determining the situation on the ground. It referred only to "the grave violations of human rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, particularly due to the recent Israeli military attacks," and called for a mission to investigate "all violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law by the occupying power, Israel, against the Palestinian people."

I was also aware that the UN Human Rights Council had made repeated condemnations of Israel over the past two years but had focused little attention on large-scale violations of human rights in other countries. THIS PATTERN OF ACTION AND INACTION BY THE COUNCIL HAS GIVEN GREATER CREDENCE TO THOSE WHO BELIEVE THE UN'S HIGHEST HUMAN RIGHTS BODY IS INHERENTLY ANTI-ISRAEL."

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2009\09\30\story_30-9-2009_pg3_4

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 11:36:02 AM PDT
JR Fleming says:
PS
"The U.S. gives (not loans, but gives) more money to Israel than any other recipient of foreign aid."

Depends on the year. 2004 it was Iraq I believe.

Posted on May 25, 2010 12:35:46 PM PDT
Allie says:
it's a hotly discussed topic because their *war* so to speak has lasted for over 60 years. It will last many more because their fighting will never and no peace will ever be won. Both sides are very stubborn and it is only the Israelis who will ever compromise on anything. The Palestinians have pretensions of working towards peace which is, in my opinion, for public consumption only

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 12:50:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 14, 2011 4:52:15 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 12:58:52 PM PDT
JR Fleming says:
To all,
Interesting voting already.

Posted on May 25, 2010 1:47:44 PM PDT
JR Fleming says:
I would add that some of those who attack Israel so vehemently might have some cred. if they would show some concern over the reallly serious human rights abuses taking place around the world. Joseph Kony in Uganda, 4-5 m. dead in the Congo, the gov't. in Khartoum getting away with mass murder, the millions of refugees in South America, from Iraq and Afghanistan..etc...

When I have brought these up in the past they are usually ignored or blown off.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 2:15:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 14, 2011 4:52:16 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 2:22:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2010 2:55:53 PM PDT
Allie says:
lol. Clearly, it isn't the human rights abuses for which they are indignant! Their "concern" for such matters is just a shill for what their real objection is...

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 2:43:39 PM PDT
Suet says:
What is their 'real objection', Allie? Some kind of ideological thing? I think I know the answer in some cases, but maybe not all.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 2:45:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2010 2:47:24 PM PDT
Suet says:
They're coming out of the woodwork in droves.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 2:59:17 PM PDT
Allie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 3:03:07 PM PDT
Suet says:
I haven't ridiculed you, Allie, here or anywhere else. Quite the contrary. If you think I have, please cite it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 3:09:19 PM PDT
Allie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 25, 2010 3:11:55 PM PDT
Allie says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 3:13:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2010 3:14:23 PM PDT
Suet says:
Allie says: "Yes, I read them all."

I didn't post any of them.

Posted on May 25, 2010 3:16:04 PM PDT
Allie says:
LOL.... upon reading what they are currently discussing... Hitler being gay. hahaha I cans see I'm not missing anything important. what rubbish.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 3:23:46 PM PDT
Suet says:
Allie, my last post referring to you on the "other board" was:

<< May 24, 2010 4:13 PM PDT
Suetonius says:
Fair enough, Rachel. I wouldn't mind seeing Allie come back. >>

But please yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 3:56:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2010 3:57:34 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
Dahlia makes a critical point here in posting that "Israel's right for self defense [is labeled by its enemies] a human right 'violation'."

Israel is also a parliamentary democracy and a US ally. Why shouldn't we assist them?

Some of Israel's neighbors seem more interested in finishing Hitler's Holocaust than in securing regional peace. Why should we support those who seek a genocidal war in that region?

I am coming to believe that it is the continuing hatred of the Jews that keeps interest in topics like this so high. We don't debate anybody else's "right to exist."

Posted on May 25, 2010 4:49:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2010 9:07:35 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Because Jews are the people everyone likes to talk about. Either they hate the Jews or they love the Jews, Jews are a small minority that have influenced the world and contributed so much to it and that attracts everyone's attention. I think Jews would appreciate it if everybody just left them alone to live in peace. If Jews weren't around what would people talk about- the contributions of the Arabs?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 4:55:19 PM PDT
Allie says:
sorry, I must have missed that bit.

Posted on May 25, 2010 5:08:50 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
What bit was that?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  229
Initial post:  May 25, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions