Customer Discussions > History forum

Hell on wheels

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2013 11:11:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 11:30:10 AM PST
I just finished watching the first series of "Hell on wheels" and I was very impressed.

It takes up just after Lincoln was assasinated and tells the story of the building of the Union Pacific railroad.

For me it had a very authentic feel to it.

I was wondering, if anyone had seen it and whether they could tell me how historically accurate it is, or any other thoughts on the building of the railroad.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 11:13:51 AM PST
Boomy says:
Django Unchained was more historically accurate though...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:32:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 11:34:18 AM PST
Really?

In Calvin Candie's villa, a decorative copy of the Nefertiti Bust can be seen. However, the movie is set in the year 1858, while the bust wasn't discovered until 1912.

Dynamite is used in the movie, but it wasn't invented until 1867 - nearly 9 years after the time the movie is set in.

During an auction, Dr. Schultz calls out, "Sold, American!" But this line wasn't made famous until the 1920s when fast-talking auctioneer 'Speed' Riggs said it at the conclusion of Lucky Strike radio commercials. Also, "American" is in reference to the American Tobacco Company, which wasn't in existence until at least 20 years after the time the film is set in.

Michael Parks' straw hat is too modern, as it has eyelet air holes and a plastic cord lock on the chin cord.

The scene with the men in hoods pursuing Dr. Shultz and Django was supposed to represent the KKK. But the film was set in 1858 and the Klan wasn't founded until 1865.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:06:58 PM PST
I think Boom Boom was being sarcastic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:16:03 PM PST
Now that's not nice!

I considered "Hell on wheels" to be a most accurate portrayal, from what I understand of events.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the History forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions