Customer Discussions > History forum

What Did the Mayan's Predict

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 23, 2012 4:01:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 23, 2012 8:37:53 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 4:09:48 PM PDT
L. King says:
Chocolate and sugar cane go well together. This prediction has turned out to be true, so I guess all the other ones are too. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 5:17:17 PM PDT
Lientje says:
Obama is going to win.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 5:45:20 PM PDT
nothing

they just ran out of rock for their calendar

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 7:27:41 PM PDT
Yog-Sothoth says:
Previous poster hit it right on the head. There is absolutely NO "prophecy" about what happens when the current "13th b'ak'tun ends on 12/21/2012 - other than the next b'ak'tun starts. The "Mayan Prophecy" Nibiru, Galactic alignment, etc...all MADE-UP CRAP.

12/21/2012 is a Friday. I'm gonna party....

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 7:29:20 PM PDT
JOHN DOE says:
Bravo.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 8:09:28 PM PDT
Lientje says:
Yog-Sothoth: If I remember correctly the Catholic Church was going to disappear too when they ran out of wall space to hang more
pictures of popes. I believe that was when Pope JPII died. Well, there is another Pope. I wonder if they found more wall space.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 9:17:28 PM PDT
with their money there will be no end of wall space in big fancy palaces

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 10:52:41 AM PDT
Suggest folks look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events for other silliness

Wikipedia also has a decent discussion of 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon

I have always wondered why the ancient Mayans are supposed to be so well informed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 5:09:27 PM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Just the Facts says:

[Doom and gloom or a period of change ?]

The Mayans and other ancient cultures believed the human race has been completely annihilated and had to start over again several times. The biblical flood, which is found in many mythologies, was one of those catastrophes. But there have been others.

I don't know if it's so much a question of what specifically the Mayans said would happen. It may get more into how each astrological age has its own unique influences on the human race and the last few decades of each age is always a time of change. Indeed the last 100 years or so on planet Earth has been a time of great change socially, morally, politically, and technologically.

This is much more true for December 21 since on that date, according to the Mayans, not only with the Age Of Pisces end but the sun's 25,800 year journey through the 12 astrological ages will also end. They felt that the Earth's wobble cycle on its axis will end on December 21 and the Earth will return to what they believed is the starting point for a new wobble cycle to begin. Whatever's going to happen on or around December 21, if anything, only happens once every 26,000 years or so.

According to some interpretations the Mayans predicted that nine gods will descend to Earth on December 21. That prediction has been written in stone in their Tortuguero monument although not everyone agrees on this. Their Popol Vuh document also views December 21 as some sort of doomsday, at least according to the guys on the TV show Ancient Aliens.

In fact the Mayans were correct about this. The gods have already returned. They are part of the 144,000 people spoken of in the Book Of Revelation that have been called to execute God's plan. But there's 144,000 on the dark side also. Evil gods.

Personally I believe something dramatic is going to happen soon. What form this may take who knows. The universe is very old and mysterious. It may be something that is completely foreign to and outside of our thought processes and understanding.

What all of this shows is that ancient cultures like the Mayans and Egyptians saw great wisdom, knowledge, and order in the cosmos. They felt that the apparent position of the constellations and the center of the galaxy in relation to the Earth was extremely important and our destiny has been written in the stars.

Sadly we would understand all of this much better if Cortez and his band of zealous friars didn't burn all of the Mayans ancient and priceless codex booklets and artifacts. The Aztecs handed Cortez two large and probably very old disks, one made of silver and one of gold, that had some of their strange calendars engraved on them. Cortez immediately ordered that the disks be melted down into ingots, much to the dismay and horror of the Aztecs.

The Aztecs rejected Quetzalcoatl in favor of the evil 'god of the smoking mirror'. That's when the blood letting started up again with the human sacrifice. So perhaps their ancient artifacts were tainted with dark energies. Still that was no reason to destroy everything as the Spanish did in their blind lust for gold.

The Mayans obsession with time is fascinating and some people view the Mayans as being more advanced than the Egyptians.

I'm using the terms Mayans and Aztecs interchangeably here which may not be correct. Some people feel the term 'Mayans' refers to multiple groups of people including the Aztecs.

Jeff Marzano

Maya Cosmogenesis 2012: The True Meaning of the Maya Calendar End-Date

Edgar Cayce on the Revelation: A Study Guide for Spiritualizing Body and Mind

Fingerprints of the Gods

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 5:22:46 PM PDT
JOHN DOE says:
Interesting - I have read much on the Mayan's and think you summed it up well. I have some friends, in their 60's, who went there last year. The Mayan's they talked to believe there is a coming period of change. They weren't sure exactly what the change would be, but they didn't think it would be destructive. I guess we will know soon enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 5:50:19 PM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Just the Facts says:

[I guess we will know soon enough.]

Yes with the case of 2012 at least we have a general idea for the prediction. Although I'm not sure how much time we would allow before we say that the predictions didn't come true. If nothing happens on December 21 many people will start to doubt the legends. But even 5 or 10 years out may not be significant.

What's weird about it is the Mayans made their prediction for a specific day. That's getting pretty specific when we're talking about a period of time that lasts almost 26,000 years.

The study of the relationships between ancient monuments and the positions of celestial bodies is interesting. That's called archaeoastronomy.

There's several different places which have monuments and structures that seem to match up with the three belt stars in the constellation of Orion. These include the three pyramids at Giza in Egypt. Also at Giza the Sphinx statue has a relationship with the constellation of Leo The Lion and the Nile River matches up with the great band of stars in the Milky Way galaxy. Those relationships occurred way back in 10,500 BC which is probably the date of construction of the monuments on the Giza necropolis. This is called the Orion Correlation Theory that was discovered by Robert Bauval.

The Pleiades constellation also comes up in relation to ancient myths and legends.

This is indicating some special significance to Orion and The Pleiades. The Egyptians associated Osiris with the constellation of Orion.

There's the Avenue Of The Dead in Mexico that seems to match up with our own solar system.

The Mayan pyramids probably have similar relationships to the stars but I'm not too familiar with them. They have that one pyramid where on two days every year, on the summer and winter solstices, the staircase forms the body of a writhing snake and the snake's head is down at the bottom of the stairs. I don't think this would have been very easy to do and even if it was the questions remain about why was it done.

There's also a Mayan pyramid that has four staircases and each staircase has 91 steps. That adds up to 364 steps and then the platform at the top of the pyramid makes 365. This is showing that they understood that a year has 364.25 days. This may be the same pyramid as the one that creates the snake shadow I'm not sure.

Interesting also is there are mysterious monuments all over the world but each country had their own style of building.

I saw something on Ancient Aliens about the Borobudur temple in Indonesia. There are 72 Buddha statues seated inside of stupas. This is interesting for me since 72 is a multiple of the number 12 and 12 is a mystical number in the bible and many other places.

India and China have their own unique styles of ancient sites.

I suspect, like the Great Pyramid, those monuments had properties and functions which we don't understand today. They were able to tap into energy sources that exist in nature:

The Giza Power Plant : Technologies of Ancient Egypt

Jeff Marzano

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 7:11:46 PM PDT
JOHN DOE says:
You know a lot more about it than I do. I watched a show on it that centered on the Mayan believe that on the
21st of December the Sun, Earth, and black hole of the Milkyway would be in perfect alignment. It would seem to me that if that was going to cause change it would be a gradual thing as the alignment occurred.

Thanks for sharing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 3:58:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 4:02:58 PM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Just the Facts says:

[I watched a show on it that centered on the Mayan believe that on the
21st of December the Sun, Earth, and black hole of the Milkyway would be in perfect alignment.]

Yes that's right. But I don't think I understand what exactly this means.

The Earth rotates on its axis and it takes 24 hours to complete one spin.

But the Earth's axis does not remain in a perfectly straight orientation in relation to the sun. The top of the axis is at times closer to the sun and at times farther away from the sun than the bottom of the axis. People use the analogy of how the Earth wobbles like one of those old fashioned tops that kids play with.

This wobble effect causes the constellations to appear to move in the sky over time. This complex movement of the constellations is called the precession of the equinoxes. This gets into the idea that it takes the sun 25,800 years to move through the 12 astrological ages. The 25,800 year period of precession is sometimes referred to as the Great Year or the Platonic Year. Old Plato got associated with a lot of legends I guess.

Some people think that on December 21 the Earth will return to the starting point for the wobble effect and a new astrological cycle will begin with the Age Of Aquarius. So on December 21 the constellations will appear in the sky in the exact same way as they appeared 25,800 years ago as seen from the exact same locations on Earth like Egypt and South America.

I don't know if the Mayans recognized the same astrological ages or whether they measured the astrological cycle in the same way. For them December 21 is the end of an age that began in 3114 BC which is a period of 5,126 years. Multiplying that number by 5 gives 25,630 which is pretty close to 25,800. The Mayan's numbering system was based on 5 and 10.

So the end of the astrological cycle seems to be converging with the end of the Mayan Long Count calendar. At least that's the way some people see it. As far as how many people agree with this idea I don't know.

Another question I have is whether the alignment between the Earth, the sun, and the galactic center is an actual astronomical event or is this alignment really only an apparent alignment as seen from Earth. Because it takes much longer than 25,800 years for the sun to pass through the equator of the Milky Way galaxy. So I'm thinking this alignment is really that the sun will appear to eclipse the galactic center on December 21.

This is a very strange subject. It asks questions about issues that most people take for granted and rarely think about like how the stars appear to move in the sky over long time periods. The Mayans thought about questions like that a lot apparently.

I believe their mythologies indicate that it was the gods like Kukulkan who taught them about astronomy.

Jeff Marzano

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:12:06 PM PDT
JOHN DOE says:
Wow Jeff, you are head and shoulders above me with your knowledge. Some of the programs I have watched have suggested that when the alignment happens the Earth could be pulled into the black hole. Others have talked about a shift in the Earth's magnetic poles.

As I understand it, this will be an astronomical event. The good news is (I hope) we won't have long to wait to find out.

Thanks again for the education.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:31:59 PM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Just the Facts says:

[Some of the programs I have watched have suggested that when the alignment happens the Earth could be pulled into the black hole.]

Yes I want to find out more about what exactly this alignment idea means.

I didn't hear the part about us being pulled into a black hole. I have heard that there is a beam of energy that emanates from the galactic center and on December 21 this energy beam will strike the Earth.

Another idea is the Earth will experience a pole shift. What this would cause if anything I don't know. Some people say the Earth's surface will slip like the peel of an orange and the United States will end up where Australia is now. That doesn't sound like it would be too much fun.

All of this seems to get into theories about the relationships between the human race and the universe. That 25,800 year cycle may be a period when souls start to incarnate on Earth. At the end of this cycle perhaps a judgment of the souls occurs.

There's a theory that the Great Pyramid foretells the destiny of the human race. The pyramid represents the Earth and the two pathways inside the pyramid represent humanity's spiritual journey through the Earth.

Each pyramid inch represents one year. The Egyptian priests and initiates knew how to trace through history by the way the passageways turn inside the pyramid, the different colors of stones on the walls, and probably other things.

The positive pathway which goes up into the King's Chamber gets wider at the point in time that corresponds to the crucifixion of Christ.

The negative path goes down into an unfinished, bottomless pit underneath the pyramid which is called the chamber of chaos. This apparently represents that eternal torture chamber for the damned.

Also the Great Pyramid represents the experiences that souls have in our solar system. When a soul has completed its journey and incarnations through our solar system the next place they go is the system where Polaris, the North Star, resides.

In 2004 Polaris became aligned with the entrance to the Great Pyramid. This was significant because of what I said above. But it also indicated that a new root race was beginning.

Jeff Marzano

Edgar Cayce's Story of the Origin and Destiny of Man

Egyptian Heritage: Based on the Edgar Cayce Readings

Edgar Cayce's Egypt: Psychic Revelations on the Most Fascinating Civilization Ever Known

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:51:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 4:52:56 PM PDT
JOHN DOE says:
More great stuff - I've watched programs and read articles that say when the magnetic poles shift that the magnetic shield that surrounds Earth and protects it from rediation deminishes to nothing and then gradually comes back. This process supposedly takes about 100 years. They also say this happens about every 25 thousand years.

The whole black hole thing is very interesting and way over my head in scientific terms. As I understand it there is a theory that the backside of black holes emits the energy beam. I'll have to see if I got it backwards - my memory is not what it once was - that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

One other thing of interest - Einstien didn't believe in black holes - I'm sure you already knew that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 5:20:09 PM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Just the Facts says:

[One other thing of interest - Einstien didn't believe in black holes - I'm sure you already knew that.]

Yes you're right. The subject of black holes is relevant to the Mayan Calendar and 2012.

There's a gigantic black hole in the center of our Milky Way galaxy which is equivalent to 4 million solar masses. This is called a Super Massive Black Hole. The alignment we were talking about involves the galactic center where this mysterious and unimaginable celestial object resides. There's a connection about how the Super Massive Black Hole will exert its influences on our human race on or around December 21.

Scientists can see stars rotating around this object at 1/6th the speed of light which is an unimaginable velocity for such a large object like a star. This gives us some glimpse into the magnitude and power of the black hole.

As you said Einstein speculated about black holes where gravitational forces reach infinite extremes to create an object which will not even allow light to escape it. But he felt that nature would never be evil enough to really create something like that.

Scientists now realize that there's a Super Massive Black Hole in the center of most galaxies and these objects are the crucibles of creation in the universe. They can see galaxies which are still in their earlier stages of creation with gigantic jets of energy shooting out from the galactic core.

People are working right now to create virtual telescopes that will allow them to study Super Massive Black Holes in greater detail. There is some speculation that Einstein's theories may not be true under the extreme conditions that exist within and around black holes.

The universe is a dangerous place. Black holes. Gamma ray bursts. Solar storms and flares. Asteroids traveling at very high velocities. Super nova explosions.

Recently a star that's 140 light years from Earth emitted tremendous amounts of deadly radiation during intense solar flare activity. This is a star that most people other than astronomers have never heard of. But if it was closer to the Earth it would have ended our world.

I heard also that very recently an asteroid about 1/4 mile in size flew between the Earth and the Moon. That's a near miss speaking in astronomical terms. Something that size traveling at about 12 miles per second could cause untold devastation if it struck the Earth depending on where it hit.

The dinosaur killer asteroid is probably the most dramatic scientific discovery of all time. That killer rock from space was about 6 miles in diameter.

In 1994 a comet broke into pieces which smashed into Jupiter. Any one of those impacts could have probably ended our world if it happened on Earth. I guess Jupiter acts as a sort of guardian to attract space objects and prevent them from colliding with us.

But sometimes they get through.

Jeff Marzano

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 6:09:07 PM PDT
JOHN DOE says:
Considering the Earth has been around for about 4.5 billion years, I guess we are pretty lucky during this period of human inhabitance to even be here.

I remember reading about the star emitting a radiation burst that could have easily destroyed us if we had been in its path. If the radiation and asteroid events had been reversed we probably would not be having this conversation.

Again, I wish my memory was better. As you said earlier there are many thing that we have no control over in the universe that could burst our bubble like a pin to a balloon. I read a while back about super hurricanes that could develope from from objects hitting the Earth. If I have it right several could develope around the world and end life as we know it. Are you familiar with this?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 6:28:41 PM PDT
JagdTiger says:
I heard of that about super hurricanes but i also remember a article in omni magazine est.late 1980sabout if a volcano erupted in the canary islands tidal waves of 90 ft to 1200ft high enough to destroy the entire or almost the full east coast.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 6:29:06 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 26, 2012 6:13:10 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 6:51:18 PM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Just the Facts says:

[Are you familiar with this ?]

You mean an asteroid could collide with the Earth and create super storms ? No I don't recall hearing that theory.

There are however theories as well as some geological evidence about what went on when the dinosaur killer asteroid struck the Earth.

Scientists find very few if any fossils of dinosaurs above a layer in the ground called the K-T Boundary. Although WikiPedia says it is now called the Cretaceous-Paleogene (K-Pg) boundary. This geographic layer contains an element called Iridium which scientists say is mainly found in extra terrestrial objects like asteroids.

But beyond that they can see the impact site of the asteroid in what is now the Gulf Of Mexico. It came in at an angle and collided with the Earth. Based on this evidence they can tell that the asteroid was 6 miles in diameter. Traveling at 12 miles per second, I guess it was transformed into pure energy when it hit. They think everything within a radius of a few hundred miles was killed instantly.

I have heard theories that this impact sent super heated debris into the atmosphere so that the entire sky reached the temperature of an oven. This caused fires over a very wide area if not the entire world.

This type of impact would have undoubtedly caused a major tsunami wave.

Anyway, even if they are wrong about some of the details, the impact crater and the K-T boundary provide irrefutable proof that this was a dramatic event that altered the course of evolution on planet Earth forever. It's not easy to find geographical evidence for something that happened 165 million years ago.

The fossil record seems to indicate that the dinosaurs were already in decline at that time. How amazing if somehow fate sent this killer rock to hasten their demise so that new species could inherit the Earth.

An asteroid impact happening today would cause major problems for us. As the size of the object goes up the scope of the resulting catastrophe would also increase.

Jeff Marzano

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 7:02:31 PM PDT
JOHN DOE says:
Yes, I am familiar with that. I watched an interesting program that talked about a theory of the possibility of that impact causing super hurricanes around the world. I believe it said that in theory it would only need to create five or six of these super hurricanes to destroy most life on Earth. Again, this was a theory by experts, and all experts did not agree - no surprise there.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 7:15:34 PM PDT
soct the gat says:
I saw a cartoon awhile back where one Mayan was holding the calendar on which he ran out of writing space and saying to another Mayan, "Someday this is really going to freak someone out". If I understand correctly, the last day of the Mayan calendar is the day of the galactic alignment, which means one thing and one thing alone: the Mayans were very good astronomers.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 7:36:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 7:39:11 PM PDT
Yog-Sothoth says:
JtF: "Some of the programs I have watched have suggested that when the alignment happens the Earth could be pulled into the black hole."

The supermassive black hole ("SBH") at the center of the Galaxy is a point in space. The earth is another point. At exactly WHAT position do the two points have to be, in order to be "aligned"?

The "SBH" is estimated to be at least 4 billion solar masses - and about 1/10 billionth of the total mass of the rest of the Galactic center; This means it has as much influence on the earth as the grain of sand on Miami Beach has on you right now. If the SBH suddenly just miraculously vanished - there would be no noticeable effect on us, or the Galaxy.

The Maya DID NOT know the year was "exactly" 365.25 days long. They understood it was "about" 365 days - and would correct their calendar months whenever it was "off" by adding or subtracting days. Their calendar DID NOT count years, only days, and grouped the days into 20-day months: 13 of them, then adding 5 or six (as needed) "unlucky days" to even everything up. Their calandar actually counts up to several million days, equating to about 16 million years...THAT's when the "Mayan Calendar" "ends".

The Maya made NO "predictions" about the end of the world. Those who claim they did have frabricated/distorted evidence to create sensationalism (usually to promote their book).

The precession of the earth's axis does complete a cycle about every 25,800 years. Who determined "WHEN" the cycle "began" or when it ends is strictly a matter of CONVENIENTLY selecting those times. There are ABSOLUTELTY no facts supporting the spurious claim that the Maya were aware of this precession - or that there was anything like a "Galaxy". They thought the earth was flat, and rode on the back of a giant alligator/crocodile.

The Maya believed the earth was created in 3113 BCE - we know they were wrong about that (as well as the flat earth thing), why would we believe they were right about anything related?

Everything that has been published and broadcast in the past 20 years or so about "The End" is all so much RUBBISH. The "facts" the "researchers" use to substantiate their views are derived in the same manner as shooting an arrow, then drawing a target around where it sticks: They come up with some DOOMSDAY scenario, then cherry-pick some data (or failing that, make some up) to lend credence to it, and reject any scientific (read as "PROVEN FACTS") that do not agree.

There is NO "2012 Doomsday". There is NO Planet Nibiru coming. The earth is millions of years away from "crossing the Galactic Equator" (we are currently moving away, in fact). The Maya made NO "predictions" - about anything. Solar activity IS increasing, yes, but will peak next spring - and still be at a lower level than the previous Solar Max (which we have had EVERY 11 years or so). A SBH at the Galactic Center CANNOT "suck us in". The minimum safe distance from a Gamma Ray Burst, or supernova is about 30 light years. Luckily there are no stars that near that are likely (wrong type, wrong age, etc) to be any danger. The closest candidate (IK Pegasi) is over 150 light-years away, and Betelgeuse, possibly the most likely to go supernova in the next 1,000 years, is over 650 light-years away.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over any of it...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions