Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Customer Discussions > History forum

Japan

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2011 12:02:02 PM PDT
O says:
The Japanese are a gorgeous people with a gorgeous culture. Not unlike the vast majority of civilizations throughout history (including mainland Asia), the Japanese have contributed much to humanity. We don't need to dig very far into the history books to see this.

If we fixate on condemning entire civilizations for their dark moments in history, we will find that everyone is guilty.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 12:17:40 PM PDT
Andre Lieven says:
The key to redemption is an admission of guilt. Do let us know when Japan gets around to admitting their guilt for their part of WW2, eh ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 12:20:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2011 12:44:52 PM PDT
Ku says:
Automotive and electronics industries.

Sushi and sake.

Ninjas and martial arts.

The movie 'Spirited Away/Chihiro'.

EDIT: Oh, and 'Kill Bill' with its Hattori Hanzo swords would be unthinkable without Japanese influences on Quentin Tarantino's work.

EDIT II: Akiro Kurosawa - his 'Ran' is one of the best adaptations of Shakespeare's 'King Lear' out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 12:29:54 PM PDT
R. Miller says:
Katsu, I reckon you've read some of Cleo's posts? I say amen to your comments. And if you don't mind me saying so, Japanese women are gorgeous too!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 12:58:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2011 1:04:49 PM PDT
O says:
Lieven,

You most likely will never find an apology, because the vast majority (if not all) of the leaders in power during that time period are dead.

Besides, who exactly are they supposed to apologize to? Let me guess, you? Vast odds are you were very young, most likely not even alive, during W2.

Or maybe we're all guilty for the crimes of our ancestors. Looks like we all, including you, have a lot of apologizing to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 1:04:38 PM PDT
Andre Lieven says:
k:'You most likely will never find an apology, because the vast majority (if not all) of the leaders in power during that time period are dead.'

Non sequitur. Many nations today have had leaders and governments who have apologised, and paid compensations, for actions taken by previous leaders now dead. Nothing prevents Japan's present leaders from doing the same, other than stubborn, racist pride, and a wish to avoid facing any consequences for what Japan did.

'Besides, who exactly are they supposed to apologize to?'

The survivors and the families of those who they victimised.

'Let me guess, you?'

-Ad Hominem Alone, the last refuge of the *whipped* scoundrel.-

'Or maybe we're all guilty for the crimes of our ancestors.'

Ah, political nihlism. How moronic. No, Japan needs to apologise and make restitution to many people. Facing the truth to themselves would be a good start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_history_textbook_controversies

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 1:42:01 PM PDT
I take it this post is directed at Cleo?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 1:42:24 PM PDT
O says:
So the decimation of her cities and civilian populations wasn't facing a consequence for her actions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 1:52:49 PM PDT
Andre Lieven says:
k:'So the decimation of her cities and civilian populations wasn't facing a consequence for her actions?'

It was one, but not a voluntary one. To properly apologise, one must offer it voluntarily. So no, it counts not one bit towards redemption for Japan's WW2 acts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 1:57:01 PM PDT
Maybe if you apologise to the American Indians right now we can get katsu to apologize for WWII?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 2:11:06 PM PDT
Andre Lieven says:
H:'Maybe if you apologise to the American Indians right now we can get katsu to apologize for WWII?'

1) I don't have any authority to speak on behalf of my nation.
2) I am not an American, so I would not have any authority to speak for a foreign country.
3) This is the 'but, mommy, he did it first' ploy that doesn't work when a 5 year old says it.

0-3, chuckles...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 3:40:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 10:58:29 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 4:00:02 PM PDT
A says:
hai, sono toori desu

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 4:23:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2011 5:30:42 PM PDT
A says:
Then there's 'Throne of Blood,' which is Akira Kurosawa's masterful adaptation of 'Macbeth.'

The only good thing about 'Kill Bill' was the Japanese schoolgirl assassin played by Chiaki Kuriyama, who has an alluring combination of cuteness and exoticism.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3478821120/nm0475752

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 4:46:44 PM PDT
I don't think it would have worked anyway.
And as you pointed out, katsu has no authority to speak on behalf of his nation either.
Katsu was probably not alive then either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 4:48:09 PM PDT
American girls are awesome too. Even ones that think they are Chinese.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 4:51:13 PM PDT
Andre Lieven says:
H:'I don't think it would have worked anyway.'

-That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.-

Given that Japanese leaders have tried to DENY crimes that their nation committed in WW2, and given that, as I have shown, their school texts also skip right over all that, this national myopia shows very bad faith to the nations of the Pacific Rim. It is as if Japan was run by a gang of professional liars.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 5:51:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2011 5:52:01 PM PDT
Ku says:
I've seen Throne of Blood twice. Last viewing not too long ago.

A very successful adaptation. It's true.

I liked 'Kill Bill'. Both parts. A story of vengence in the same vein as 'The Count of Monte Cristo'.

I know which actress you mean. She did a great job in the flick.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 7:26:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2011 8:18:41 PM PDT
O says:
Kwaidan is a great adaptation of Irish ghost stories. Definitely worth a rental if you haven't seen it.

~Just went on Youtube, and you can see some of the ghost stories with English subtitles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 8:29:47 PM PDT
O says:
Japanese atrocities are far from a secret in Japan. There are many mainstream films that depict these atrocities in graphic detail.

Many Japanese children don't know much about W2, and just as many American children don't know about it either. As for politicians living in denial, nothing unique there.

Japan's civilians paid the price for Japans actions during W2. She is innocent now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 8:32:53 PM PDT
Andre Lieven says:
k:'Japanese atrocities are far from a secret in Japan. There are many mainstream films that depict these atrocities in graphic detail.'

Yet they still refuse to teach about it in their schools, and their PMs still slander the victims of Japanese aggression...

'Many Japanese children don't know much about W2, and just as many American children don't know about it either.'

Non sequitur.

'Japan's civilians paid the price for Japans actions during W2.'

Yes, they did. But, due to the stubborn insanity of THEIR leaders. Japanese civilians would have suffered far less had the evil morons running Japan in 44 and 45 faced reality and surrendered sooner. The suffering that befell their people due to their leader's pigheadedness is ALL on those leaders.

'She is innocent now.'

As long as Japan keeps trying to cover up her evils, she is very much GUILTY...

She is innocent now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 8:43:02 PM PDT
O says:
You don't seem to know very much about Japan or Japanese culture.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 8:46:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 10:58:30 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 9:09:56 PM PDT
Andre Lieven says:
k:'You don't seem to know very much about Japan or Japanese culture.'

-That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_history_textbook_controversies

-Korean women forced into sexual slavery for Japan's army during World War II, known as "comfort women", criticize Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan's August 10 apology for colonial rule of the Korean peninsula over its failure to acknowledge their experience at the hands of the Japanese army.-

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2010/08/12/video-korean-comfort-women-denounce-kan-apology/

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 9:20:07 PM PDT
O says:
I think you've provided plenty of evidence for your lack of knowledge in your posts. For example, the concept of "surrender".
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the History forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Jul 31, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions