Customer Discussions > History forum

Is there a Nazi Mystique?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 442 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2011 2:20:27 PM PDT
I think that most people will agree that the Nazis committed some of the worst acts in modern history. They have replaced the devil for all that is evil but yet there are people that look to them and admire them. No doubt many use their symbols to express solidarity with intolerance. Today we see people who call themselvs Nazis as a bunch of fat bald kids with ragidy cloths.

Most of us have seen Hitler's Speeches but how many have hear the words that Hitler said? I did see his movie and read the speech. Depidte his theatrics, the speeches are rather bland. They were of national unity and better country if we work together.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 2:27:58 PM PDT
We are not the people at whom Hitler was directing his message.

We come from a different culture, different economy, different time, different political system, etc.

We will never truly understand or receive the message of Hitler as the Germans of the 20s, 30s, and 40s did.

Also, I am asking you if you are fluent in the German language? If you are not, then another element of understanding is missing for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 3:02:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 11:02:55 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 3:22:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2011 3:25:53 PM PDT
patrick says:
There is mystique about Nazis and everything WW2 German.

And its occured to more than one of us that maybe one of the biggest mistakes we made was winning the war, anyway.

the British almost certainly blundered fighting the Battle of Britain.
Look where that victory has brought them to, ultimately.
Up in arms about Nazism, but then meekly surrendering their streets to Islam..many times worse than Jackboots marching up Whitehall.
A million crescents flying high over Britain, instead of a few Swastikas.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 4:29:28 PM PDT
Of course there is. A few years back someone once did a study that for every 500 discussions on the internet, the name Hitler wuould show up by 501. Or something to that effect.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 5:17:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 11:03:01 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 5:27:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2011 5:31:29 PM PDT
patrick says:
look at how many books and documentaries there are on WW2 Germany and its forces, and how popular they are.
They stretch to the moon, and many were great sellers.The SS, the PAnzers, the half-tracks and side-car motorcycles, the Luftwaffe machines and pilots, the U-boats and rest of the Kriegsmarine.., the 'war criminals", the Hitler women, the Nazi Henchmen..
the vaunted German secret weapons..

when we made plastic model airplanes,everyone was always most intrigued by the Luftwaffe ones..

the highly prized nature of all German militaria..badges and medals, helmets, belts, goggles, weapons, uniforms,photographs, anything..
even original copies of Mein Kamph..

Even going back to WW1, look what a celebrated almost-hero figure even "Red Baron" is to non-Germans even..an individual who was ruthless, quite callous and killed dozens of British airmen at close-quarters..

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 5:58:38 PM PDT
Suet says:
They were snappy dressers, maybe that's part of it.

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 6:03:41 PM PDT
We don't have anything cool like heel clicking and the salute and the 'seig heiling'.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 6:25:22 PM PDT
patrick says:
probably...it has been cited b4.

You can get 'sexual' leisure things going with their uniforms, boots and gear which would be much less effective with Allied equipment.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 6:26:11 PM PDT
patrick says:
sieg,btw.

why does everyone always think its sEIg..

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 6:27:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 11:03:04 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 6:32:48 PM PDT
Patrick
Sorry, I don't read a lot of stuff about nazis.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 6:59:21 PM PDT
Suet says:
British soldiers used to envy American uniforms. And pay, of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 7:00:49 PM PDT
SandyDenny says:
I have read so much about Nazi's but no matter how much I read, I really cannot make sense out of how the atrocities could have happened and how there was no one around at the time, strong enough to get rid of Hitler. That said, I have stopped reading about Nazi's for I cannot make any sense of how human beings can be so inhumane to fellow human beings. People supposedly so cultured as the Germans were supposed to have been; how fast they turned into the murderous monsters that they did become.

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 7:08:03 PM PDT
There is a nazi mystique and it is truly sad and horrifying that there is.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 7:11:59 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
In reply to the original post, I believe that the "mystique" is more a matter of aesthetics. The Third Reich had a "look" which is distinctive.

Hitler seemed to realize this fairly early and he discussed it in MEIN KAMPF in conjunction with his recollection about designing the Swastika flag for the nascent Nazi Party. It was this same flag which replaced the German flag when Hitler took power.

The Nazis had a sense of style and even employed sociologists, psychologists and professional artists to refine the "look." It's superficial, but I believe it's the basis of the "Nazi mystique" we see today.

Hitler's message was simple. He blamed the Jews for everything and argued that exterminating them would provide his new "master race" with the "living space" it needed.

Unfortunately, Hitler had the ability of a rock star to work a crowd. I think Charlie Chaplin's satire on Hitler in THE GREAT DICTATOR made it difficult for later generations to understand that, however.

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 2:14:13 AM PDT
patrick says:
I didnt know that the Nazis employed such modern-day commercial methods like making an attractive cereal box or beercan to sell 'the look" but I guess it makes sense that they did.

German martial and marching songs, btw, and Im not sure which ones come from the Nazi era itself, or which ones predate it, are incredibly stirring, and catchy...such as "Erika", "Wir Fahren"," Panzer Lied", and, yes, even the "Horst Wessel"...the Luftwaffe may have had one of the clunkier ones with "Bomben auf Engeland"..and the FallSchirmjager (Paratroops) song perhaps too, is harder to fall into..
even the Western Allies themselves started singing Lili Marlene..

But I guess you would also credit Soviet Patriotic songs as stirring, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 6:10:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 11, 2011 2:08:08 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 6:12:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 11:03:06 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 7:02:13 AM PDT
In case you really don't know, only German mountain troops wear an edelweiss, which only grows in the mountains. It's not a floral motif-- it's a badge, like Rangers have a Ranger tab.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 7:11:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 11:03:09 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 7:26:00 AM PDT
Traditionally, it was supposed to be a sign of courage to have climbed a mountain to obtain one; but, on German uniforms, mountain troops wear an edelweiss badge to signify their branch of service.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 7:41:14 AM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Cleo says:

[There's more charisma when the English impersonate them...]

I don't know. I didn't watch the Valkerie movie but I'm not sure Tom Cruise was a great choice to be the hero in this movie.

Then most of the German officers had British accents.

Jeff Marzano

Where Eagles Dare

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 7:49:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 17, 2011 2:47:47 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  442
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions