Customer Discussions > History forum

If you had to live under one Totalitarian dictatorship, which would you chose?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 30, 2012 12:06:09 AM PST
briefcandle says:
How about the government of fiji? Military coup 2006 , no democracy, military dictatorship, nice resorts and weather.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 2:28:38 PM PST
MC Zaptone says:
Given the amount of posts on this thread that Amazon have deleted, I'd say we have a proper little dictatorship regime right here. ;0)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 2:17:43 PM PST
Suet says:
It wasn't a totalitarian dictatorship.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 3:37:41 PM PST
F. Gleaves says:
So you consider "USA 2000" to represent Totalitarian dictatorship?.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:04:11 PM PST
And I measure carefully your knowledge of historical events and it is sorely lacking but your vicious mouth is fully charged."Shame,shame ,shame" as Gomer Pyle used to say.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:47:12 AM PST
Debunker says:
Posted by someone with zero knowledge of history.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:41:46 AM PST
briefcandle says:
How about cromwell's commonwealth?

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 1:15:42 AM PST
Japan had the least oppressive regime, at least for Japanese citizens in the home islands.
It wasn't in fact a totalitarian dictatorship at all, it was rather a traditional feudal society that'd been plunged kicking and screaming into the industrial age. The system the people there were living under had been in place for centuries, and had recently started to loosen up, grant more rights and protection to the small people as their role in society increased from peasants to industrial workers.
So as a citizen in imperial Japan you'd be enjoying more freedom than you'd (or your ancestors) ever experienced before.

Italy would be second, for all the reasons already mentioned. It was a reasonably free society still, though with the means of economy under state control.

For real oppression you'd have to visit Germany or the USSR (with the USSR being marginally worse for citizens, Germany marginally worse for those considered "undesirables").

As a visiting foreigner however, Italy would probably be preferable over Japan as the Japanese attitude towards foreigners was more hostile than the Italian. For foreigners Germany might be preferable over the USSR, but not over Italy and probably not over Japan.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2011 12:52:53 AM PST
sully says:
The Mysterious Traveler says:

<If you had to live under one Totalitarian dictatorship, which would you chose?>

Well' M.T.: I see your back with us,

What a stupid ?; What makes you think they would GIVE you a choose?

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 6:01:12 AM PST
Black Flag says:
Given those choices, Italy. I think that is the easiest decision to make. Italy was not destroyed in WW2, and the country was not uniformly facist. Also consider that Facist Italy did not last very long.

Facist Germany was destroyed. Regardless of WHO is in charge, who wants to live in a ruined city? Not to mention the moral torture that would result of living in under a gov't that was sending your neighbours off to concentration camps. Say nothing and you are part of the problem, speak up and your family joins them in the camps.

Soviet Russia killed millions of it's own citizens, and used their soldiers as robots, not humans. In Stalin's Russia, nobody was safe. No thanks.

Imperial Japan. Here is a cop-out answer: I am not Japanese so I would not have been welcomed by my neighbours. A more important objection would be the destruction of so much of the country would have made living there incredibly difficult. Up until the war (if you were Japanese) living in Japan would have been blissful. Blissfully Ignorant. Propaganda in Imperial Japan was completely successful and the xenophobic culture isolated them from news from the outside, so people thought they had it great. Of course all that changes when the bombs started falling...and didnt stop until their world was over.

My supreme preference would be to live under the benevolent dictatorship of...ME. All hail ME! It's good to be King...

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 2:51:24 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 28, 2011 7:54:12 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 10:04:25 PM PST
Ok, let's assume that in all cases we are a "normal" person, and not the member of a despised racial, economic, or other group.

Last choice would be Russia since ideology rules. Even normal people have to be ideologically correct in their lifestyles, otherwise off the frozen east.

Second to last would be Germany. Probably more personal freedom than in Russia, but still some threat to those who aren't ideologically pure.

Japan and Italy would probably not be so bad, so long as you don't threaten the power structure. In non- or not so ideological dictatorships, those in power care more about maintaining power than building a utopia. Thus you can be relatively free so long as you don't stick your neck out. I'd probably go with Smallchief and choose Italy as the best. Or maybe Japan. Problem with Japan, though, would be non-governmental social pressures.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 9:58:18 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 9, 2011 7:22:35 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 2:07:05 PM PST
John M. Lane says:
I'd pick Germany because they had the coolest uniforms, best parades and prettiest blondes despite the short, swarthy, flatulent, draft-dodging homosexual with one testicle who jobbed his way up to Fuhrer.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 1:57:13 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 19, 2011 8:29:40 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 1:22:26 PM PST
Kevin Bold says:
1935?

I live in Fascist Dictator Roosevelt's America. Since I already know the language, and have relatives here, I'll stay in the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 1:10:28 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 21, 2011 9:27:38 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 6:18:43 AM PST
R. Macaluso says:
Hitler's regime wouldn't have been bad before the tanks started rolling in... as long as you weren't a minority.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 5:45:14 AM PST
Portugal, under the leadership of Antonio de Oleiveras de Salazar. He was a wise, shrewd leader who saw to the welfare of his people and his country's economy. When he stepped down in 1968, he had gotten Portugal out of the Great Depression, kept it out of World War 2, and he had never left the country.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 4:29:03 AM PST
J. Turner says:
which totalitarian dictatorship would I live under? My own of course!

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 4:06:33 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 28, 2011 7:54:12 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 3:55:42 AM PST
tito's yugoslavia

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 1:19:14 AM PST
Ham Salad says:
Heaven.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 10:35:57 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 24, 2010 4:25:06 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 2:24:21 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 22, 2011 12:48:22 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the History forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions