Customer Discussions > History forum

Hitler's MILITARY mistakes and the history of B-grade monster films

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2013 3:39:30 PM PST
IGS says:
In a prior thread T. Martin asked:

"There is a popular line of argumentation blaming Germany's crushing defeat in WW2 on Hitler's mistakes."

Since it was such a lively thread full of spleen and amusement I will change its direction, moderately and continue it.

Rule #1, this ain't about Israel or Zionism or the Palestinians folks.
Rule # 2, lets try and focus on the military mistakes. Where did he go wrong, how could he have changed the outcome. My sense is that it would have to have occurred prior to '43. Please chime in.

And now the best part, the history of B-grade horror and science fiction movies is a rich one in American cinematic history. Mystery Science Theater has already been mention, it is a classic.. Continue in this vein.

As my own twisted take on this rather twisted subject matter, I add my own demented take. First, the Godzilla movies the absolute paragon of the monster movie!!!! (Please, by all means, disagree ... in fact, I urge you to). And second, the Evil Dead movies (Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, and The Army of Darkness) represent a transcendent development of the horror/science fiction genre.

Comments one and all.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:10:07 PM PST
IGS, why am I conjuring up visions of Hitler having his brains eaten by a pack of zombies?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:11:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2013 4:13:03 PM PST
Susanna says:
IGS, this is awesome! Thanks for posting it. I was a bit saddened at the end of the other one.

I'm sure after 9999 posts, someone has discussed Hitler's illnesses and the effects on his decisions, especially after '43. I'd be interested in hearing any opinions on what he really suffered from and what sort of medications his magic doctor was injecting him with.

I wasn't too keen on Godzilla. He just isn't very attractive in that Christopher Lee vampire sort of way.

Not too long ago, I lost financial control of myself and ordered a horror movie collection--there were about 60 movies on there!! I'm not at home so I can't check the titles, but I'll look when I get a chance.

Some of those Hammer Studio type movies were pretty racy! Especially the European ones with the poorly dubbed English, pretty provocative stuff for a child, which was when I first saw some of these. I think it warped me permanently, leaving me intrigued by ghosts and castles and misty moors.

Horror Classics 50 Movie Pack Collection

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:11:38 PM PST
Susanna says:
LOL!! That would make a great movie!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:23:47 PM PST
IGS says:
Child \\

Because, you like I are a genius with an imagination.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:39:15 PM PST
IGS says:
Susanna

I drifted away from that threads for about 8,000 posts due to the spleen, so much of what happened there I don't really know.

As for illnesses, I really don't know the full extent of it.

"permanently warped"

Tis' sad. I think in the end, upon watching the "Ed Wood" movie I re-evaluated it all. I really learned to love Karloff and Vincent Price. But "Ash" of the Evil Dead movies takes the cake. "Oh, man from the future, are'th all men from loud mouthed braggarts?" Ash: "Nope baby, just me"

I did make the mistake of watching my 12 year old son watch about a half hour of one of them. He didn't sleep right for about a week.

And of course "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai ..." is similarly twisted. But yeah, growing up watching all that stuff late at 12am Halloween night made it all worth it. Trog (which finished off Joan Crawford's acting career), The Slime People, The Giant Claw (one of the worst films of the '50's), what is not to love.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 11:27:35 PM PST
One key military mistake Hitler made was to fail to put Germany on a wartime footing in 1939.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 5:36:48 AM PST
That, and he also failed to warn his Japanese allies about Godzilla.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 8:05:58 AM PST
IGS says:
Rms

He did. Examining german wartime production, steel for example, one is struck by how little thus number changed from 1939-1944. Moreso when one considers that within Germany itself the increase is about 10%. Remarkably small compared to someone like, say, the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 8:08:53 AM PST
IGS says:
Child, good point, although to the Germany credit Godzilla did not strike until the 50's after the atomic weapons ... Hitler may not have known. With the death of all the top Nazis, this question will likely remain shrouded in mystery forever

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 8:43:09 AM PST
There were no Henrietta the riveters in Germany, Hitler delayed converting the entire economy to war production until it was too late. He never had a real chance of defeating the allies, But I think staying on a peacetime economy killed what little chance he had.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 9:25:19 AM PST
Susanna says:
""Oh, man from the future, are'th all men from loud mouthed braggarts?"

Oh, I am so appropriating that!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 9:26:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2013 9:28:11 AM PST
Susanna says:
Child of Herodotus says:

That, and he also failed to warn his Japanese allies about Godzilla.

lolololol
fall off chair kind of lol

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 9:27:41 AM PST
Susanna says:
Oh that's right, Godzilla--and Ultra Man, which to my great dismay no one here seems to know--were products of the 50's atomic scare movie craze.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 9:31:40 AM PST
IGS says:
Susanna

I got it a little wrong I think it's "Oh, man from the future, are'th all men from from your time loud mouthed braggarts?" ... just me baby

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 9:39:44 AM PST
Susanna says:
Even better, although knowing the context, I assumed that is what was meant.

I thought I'd use it on a certain poster in the History forum. :}

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 10:11:34 AM PST
IGS says:
I thought Ultra-Man was a good guy?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 10:19:07 AM PST
Susanna says:
He was, and he went up against our buddy Godzilla. I just googled him because I only had a dim memory of his hilarious appearance. Almost as funny as watching the attempt at the oddly high pitched dubbing that never matched the actors's lip movements.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 10:20:16 AM PST
Susanna says:
Unbelievable!

Ultraman: The Complete Series

Looks like he got a makeover for the cover shot, but he is still one unattractive dude!

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 10:21:19 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
You can link the two subjects of this thread together by discussing "They Saved Hitler's Brain".

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 10:25:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2013 10:25:42 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
RE T. Polamalu

Troy's warp drive is burned out, but he can still go sublight. Hope those delicate leg muscles of his hold up for a few more seasons. Thanks for the clip link.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 10:36:55 AM PST
Susanna says:
Classic!! Or the campy "Boys From Brazil."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 10:41:05 AM PST
Rachel says:
IGS:

I am not a big fan of monster movies, but I am willing to learn. Maybe you all convince me to watch some.
As for military mistakes made by Hitler: I would argue that he didn't listen to the German army leaders and just wanted to go his own way. Even in the field during the war he ended up dismissing one of the Generals, and with that we have the autonomy of the German army betrayed. Hitler's mistake was to think that it was all about him!

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 10:44:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 11:28:05 AM PST
Susanna says:
You're welcome and HOLY COW, so what I saw last season was sublight? I have heard other people say that too. :( I think his contract is through 2014.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 10:47:20 AM PST
Susanna says:
Hi Rachel!! I'm so glad you're here!!

I have seen the most amazing clip where Hitler discusses fighting on both fronts--you can see the looks of utter disgust on the faces of his generals. If it had been Stalin speaking, those generals wouldn't have made it out of the room alive; that's how repulsed they appeared.

I'll try to locate it again and post.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 145 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  3623
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions