Customer Discussions > History forum

What happened to the History Channel?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 177 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 24, 2013 4:55:29 AM PST
I will admit to hating history of any kind back in school, but as an adult I find it very fascinating. It used to be very common to have the HC on in the background all day as I went about my business, stopping to watch when something catches my eye. That was in the good ol days (Egads I am old)

Now its crap like Pawnstars and DumpsterDivers wars and all this silly crap you would expect to see on MTV and the like. It really makes me sad. The Learning Channel sucks now just as much with its mind numbing Honey Boo Boo and Toddlers and Tiaras. Eff TV where have all the good shows gone?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 5:28:55 AM PST
Irish Lace says:
What happened to the History Channel?

Money, honey.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 7:54:42 AM PST
Precisely why I cancelled cable 10 years ago! Now I have a roku on my bedroom TV. The best plugin for it is called Plex. I find a video online that I want to watch and I "PlexIt" to watch later on the TV, plus I can watch anything I have recorded on my living room TV. My living room TV is the tuner card on my 'puter and I set it to record OTA that I want to watch later.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 6:46:16 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Nicole Ferrier says:

[Eff TV where have all the good shows gone ?]

Well they renamed History International to H2 so there's still 2 history channels. I like some of the shows on H2. Tonight they're airing The Nazi Gospels again. I've seen it before but I may watch it again. I like Ancient Aliens but this may be on your crap list.

You've got a point about the History Channel though based on tonight's sorry line up.

Right now some of the most popular shows on TV are about true crime. The Discovery Channel created an entire separate station just for that type of programming called the Discovery ID channel. This has now become my 'default' station.

Other TV stations are also airing those types of shows. Frenemies. Wives With Knives. Redrum. Twisted. Snapped. It's an interesting subject because of the way they catch people using forensic science.

DNA has completely transformed law enforcement procedures. It is painfully clear how innocent people were often convicted and guilty people were set free back before they had DNA technology.

The problem now is that plain old testimony and circumstantial evidence have lost their luster and juries think every case is going to be like an episode of Crime Scene CSI. Juries do not understand what 'reasonable doubt' means. That's what happened with the Casey Anthony case.

Well I got off on a tangent but you asked what happened to The History Channel. Some of those viewers jumped ship to Discovery ID and other stations like The Biography Channel that keep coming out with new shows about true crime.

Maybe they made a mistake having two history channels. Rather than rename History International perhaps they should have merged it back into the original History Channel.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 12:37:03 AM PST
History channel has been taken over by the conspiracy theorists...
"ancient astronauts" presented as fact, "9/11 truthers" presented as fact, "UFO hunters" presented as fact, etc. etc.
Last week they aired a show featuring Erich von Daenicken and his "chariots of the gods" idiocy mixed with Mayan "end of days" believers and crackpot doomsday predictions based on "explanations" for the establishment of Israel as a sign the biblical apocalypse is nigh, they even claimed it was February 2012 and the predictions say the world would end coming December 21 (yes, the end credits listed the show as (c)2013).

It's sad, used to be my favourite channel. Now it's sometimes a good laugh but mostly I just get angry.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 12:46:36 AM PST
Jonn Jonzz says:
It really, really sucks now.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 7:19:36 AM PST
I've taken to calling it the Crackpot Channel, much more appropriate name :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 7:53:57 AM PST
Lientje says:
Nicole Ferrier: The further dumbing down of America.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 8:26:08 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
J. T. Wenting says:

[Last week they aired a show featuring Erich von Daenicken and his "chariots of the gods" idiocy mixed with Mayan "end of days" believers and crackpot doomsday predictions based on "explanations" for the establishment of Israel as a sign the biblical apocalypse is nigh, they even claimed it was February 2012 and the predictions say the world would end coming December 21 (yes, the end credits listed the show as (c)2013).]

There's a lot of interest today in what Christians refer to as 'the Rapture'.

The Left Behind books are the largest selling adult fiction book series in history. And the people who read them don't think they are fiction in many cases. Those authors look to the Middle East for the appearance of some sort of ant Christ figure.

You're right they feel the establishment of the state of Israel was one of the events that would indicate that Christ's return is imminent.

There's actually a subtle form of antisemitism in those theories. They think Christ is first going to appear and take all the Christians up to heaven. Then the rest of the schmucks who don't believe in Christ including the Jews will be left here on Earth with the anti Christ. Some Jews will then accept Christ so the anti Christ will create another Holocaust for them. But the rest of the Jews won't become Christians so they will burn in Hell.

I saw all this on a TV show called The Anti Christ. False prophet Hal Lindsey, author of the book The Late Great Planet Earth, appears on this TV show. That book indicated that Christ would return in 1988. The book was very popular until the day after that date. Interestingly the book came out in 1970 so he predicted Christ would return in 1970 + 6 + 6 + 6 years.

They have theories about how computer chips will be implanted into peoples' bodies by the anti Christ and the number 666 will be appended to everyone's social security numbers.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 10:52:30 AM PST
Jawwaad says:
"What happened to the History Channel?"

The same thing that happened to the History forum. The History Channel rarely shows programming about actual history just as this forum rarely has threads about History. Look at what are the top threads here on this forum

A Place for Islamic Propaganda.
An Opportunity for Islamic Supporters to Show What's right with Islam.
A Place for the Zionist Propaganda
Eye on Muslim Threat IV

These threads are the usual threads at the top of the History page but yet have nothing to do with history. They are meeting grounds for the same old anti Jew and anti Muslim posters that day after day just spread their hate. If you see the threads, they are frequented by the same posters everyday.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 12:11:25 PM PST
"mind numbing Honey Boo Boo and Toddlers and Tiaras."

Both are an embarrassment to civilized humanity. I grew up in southern Ohio, and BooBoo's family is the type of people you laughed at and hoped never to live near.
How about "The Redneck, White Trailer-Trash, and Scruffy Men a'Fishin, Alligator-huntin', and a'Fightin and Yellin at Each Other Channel."
Nah. That would cover too many different cable channels.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 12:43:56 PM PST
"You're right they feel the establishment of the state of Israel was one of the events that would indicate that Christ's return is imminent."
yes, that's in the bible. Of course it happened in 1947, bit of a long stretch to 2012 to finally have an effect though (unless the heavenly bureaucracy is as slow as the ones down here on earth, something I'd find extremely disappointing) :)

"There's actually a subtle form of antisemitism in those theories."
subtle? That show was a direct assault on the very existence of Israel, coming just short of accusing Jews being responsible for the upcoming end of the world according to the Mayan calendar for founding Israel, reclaiming the temple (which they've not done, in fact they've gone out of their way to leave the Islamists in control of the site), and capturing Jerusalem (ditto).

"They have theories about how computer chips will be implanted into peoples' bodies by the anti Christ and the number 666 will be appended to everyone's social security numbers. "
First is not too far off. There's been talk of implanting RFID tracking chips into small children and elderly people in several countries for years now.
Main reason it's not being done is the limited lifespan of the batteries (they'd need to be active RFID chips to have the desired range for effective tracking capability).
Of course if you implant them in children and have a battery lasting say 100 years, you've in a few decades the entire population implanted...
Nothing apocalyptic about it, just governments doing what governments have always done, trying to control their subjects as much as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 5:45:03 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
J. T. Wenting says:

[That show was a direct assault on the very existence of Israel, coming just short of accusing Jews being responsible for the upcoming end of the world according to the Mayan calendar for founding Israel, reclaiming the temple (which they've not done, in fact they've gone out of their way to leave the Islamists in control of the site), and capturing Jerusalem (ditto).]

I use to work in a Fortune 500 company and they had an incident one time where somebody went into a conference room and wrote some sort of shocking, racially motivated statement on a white board. It was a Jew talking about Muslims, a Muslim talking about Jews, or someone else talking about one of those groups.

They got what sounded like the entire organization on a conference call with high level managers saying how serious this was and they couldn't even repeat what was written. They figured out who did it, perhaps from security cameras.

That person was out of a job by the end of the day no doubt. They're going to have the rest of their life to think about the consequences of committing such a reckless and unnecessary act. Over time they may even realize that they're feelings have changed but it will be too late by then, at least as far as their job goes.

But sometime later one of those managers took me aside after a meeting and informed me that the Muslims are planning on killing every Christian on Earth and taking over the world. In my opinion this guy was crazy even saying something like that in the workplace. In this politically correct world we live in today those types of statements can cause major problems, especially coming from a manager. Putting a statement like that into an email in written form would be a career ending move.

But it shows how powerful those beliefs become for some people for him to even say something like that like about the so called Rapture.

I have heard that if anybody tries to do something to that Muslim temple in Jerusalem World War III will begin.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 5:58:32 AM PST
algor should have sold that one to oil-jazeera

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 5:59:29 AM PST
what does the bible say
a hundred years is like a day in His time or some such ratio

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 6:07:20 PM PST
I think the History Channel administrators feel they are in competition with the SyFy Channel so they've crafted their programming towards more supernatural/conspiracy stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 6:35:05 PM PST
Bubba says:
They need to start broadcasting Professional Cage Fighting if they are trying to compete with the SyFy Channel

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 7:49:53 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
They get quite a bit of competition from The Military Channel also.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 8:42:19 AM PST
Actually, South Park did an episode that addressed the whole History Channel thing in classic hilarious form. I can't remember which one it was, but you know it was devastating.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 9:16:24 AM PST
*Now its crap like Pawnstars and DumpsterDivers wars and all this silly crap you would expect to see on MTV and the like. It really makes me sad. The Learning Channel sucks now just as much with its mind numbing Honey Boo Boo and Toddlers and Tiaras. Eff TV where have all the good shows gone?

The shows went to H2. Science at times has desent programming. I would like to see the rating the people that run those channels work from and why they are turning to garbage. When I look to the hundreds of channels that are on my system and most I don't watch or many I don't even know what programming they have is how do some of these channels survive.

It would be nice to only subscribe to the few channels that we watch. I would not mind paying a few dollars a month from some of the channels if they can reduce the amount of comercials or have better content.

The reason is that TV is a business and they create the shows that have the most viewers. Who actually watches some of those stupid shows. I watch Hone Boo Boo for about three minutes which exists to make fun of the people from the south.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 9:21:56 AM PST
*I like Ancient Aliens but this may be on your crap list.

It is on mine, I had some fun reading the Ztichen books 15+ years ago. I liked the movie stargate but was a fun movie. I think Southpark got that show right...

It would be interesting to see some reporting on why these channels are moving to dumbed down programming. I guess those who actually want to learn are an ever shrinking minority.

One thing I have started to do is look up shows on Utube, mostly philosophy lectures and courses I can listen to and they are great at helping me sleep. I also spend time at Khan Academy to learn all that math I never got to in school.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 9:27:51 AM PST
*I've taken to calling it the Crackpot Channel, much more appropriate name :)

I have seen some alex Jones videos and still History is not as bad. I did like some of the shows when they looked at the dollar bill or some secret societies. I like some of the more contraversial theiroes they put forth like pre-columbian exploration of the country. Still it would be good to get some main stream history views on some topics.

I think the sensational stuff gets more views. The population has been dumbed down and might think that some of the more wild stuff is actually hidden fact. We have to look at the high number people people that believe in UFOs and government conspairicies. My solution is that if I think the program is stupid I stop watching. I often do and simply play video games or watch sponge bob...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 9:29:05 AM PST
Bubba says:
South Park: "A History Channel Thanksgiving"?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/11/10/south-park-a-history-channel-thanksgiving-review

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e13-a-history-channel-thanksgiving

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 9:31:17 AM PST
*They have theories about how computer chips will be implanted into peoples' bodies by the anti Christ and the number 666 will be appended to everyone's social security numbers.

666 most likley refers to Nero and the bible said that it was a number that you needed to engage in comerse which refered to things going on in the Roman Empire at the time. I like to read some of the book in the Bible to learn some Latin.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 9:33:59 AM PST
*These threads are the usual threads at the top of the History page but yet have nothing to do with history. They are meeting grounds for the same old anti Jew and anti Muslim posters that day after day just spread their hate. If you see the threads, they are frequented by the same posters everyday.

Good point, the stupidest threads get the most participation. There are some really good posters out there on some topics. The solution to these silly shows is to buy and read book. When I was deployed a few years ago I searched for topics I was interested in and sometimes I could find books. I read about six books a month or more for that year.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  177
Initial post:  Feb 24, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions