Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > History forum

USS Liberty

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 205 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 28, 2012 10:03:19 PM PDT
Bryan Borich says:
>Well have fun debating yourself.

Everybody does.

> In fact have fun master debating yourself.

Same, though in your case you try to perform it on others.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 10:26:58 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Actually its just you looking in the mirror.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 10:34:48 PM PDT
Bryan Borich says:
>Actually its just you looking in the mirror.

Unlike you, I've learned to see past the mirror.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 4:18:46 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Unfortunately you can't stop looking at yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 11:26:49 AM PDT
Bryan Borich says:
>Unfortunately you can't stop looking at yourself.

One of the needs of being enlightened is watching your self. By knowing one self, one can see others clearly.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 11:28:18 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Yes but sometimes you should close your zipper. Just saying.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 11:32:43 AM PDT
Bryan Borich says:
>Yes but sometimes you should close your zipper.

Well, I can see what you are fixated on.......

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 1:05:30 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
It's open to debate primarily by those who seek to drive a wedge between Americans and Israelis, Bryan Borich.

Israel had nothing to gain, and everything to lose, by sinking a ship it knew to be American in 1967. That would have been an act of war and Israel had no allies at that time.

When they confirmed the LIBERTY's status as an American ship, they stopped their attack and offered assistance and reported the incident to American authorities. Remember, the US thought the LIBERTY was out in the Med with the Sixth Fleet. Nobody knew it was in coastal waters off El Arish.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 1:19:39 PM PDT
Bryan Borich says:
> Remember, the US thought the LIBERTY was out in the Med with the Sixth
>Fleet. Nobody knew it was in coastal waters off El Arish.

Except the pilots grounded from helping......

>That would have been an act of war and Israel had no allies at that time.

With allies like them, who needs enemies [not, mind you that our other allies are any better]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 1:27:33 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
What pilots were "grounded from helping" the LIBERTY, Bryan Borich?

Smug, snarky comments aside, what was the benefit for Israel in attacking what it knew was an American ship other than a war it had no hope of winning?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 1:43:59 PM PDT
Bryan Borich says:
>What pilots were "grounded from helping" the LIBERTY, Bryan Borich?

My bad, seems I misremembered when the planes where recalled.

>Israel in attacking what it knew was an American ship other than a war it had no
>hope of winning?

You just gave a possible reason right there....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 2:11:58 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
You "misremembered" a lot, Bryan Borich.

Why am I not surprised?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 2:27:01 PM PDT
Bryan Borich says:
So?

I'm not particularly concerned about the incident, but I did find it interesting at one point.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 2:30:06 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
You're also not particularly well informed about it, Bryan Borich.

It's "interesting" that you're not attracted to the Beirut Bombing of our Marines by Hezbollah, or anything like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 2:40:34 PM PDT
Bryan Borich says:
>It's "interesting" that you're not attracted to the Beirut Bombing of our Marines
>by Hezbollah, or anything like that.

We're talking the thread header, not your non-sequitors.

>You're also not particularly well informed about it, Bryan Borich.

No. not anymore. Been there/done that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 2:42:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 6:13:20 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
We can put a fork in Bryan Borich. He's done!

Yayyyy!

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 5:17:05 PM PDT
Only one Israeli pilot refused to fire on the USS Liberty and flew home against orders.He was arrested and court martialed.I posted this several times but those who refuse to look further than the boogers hanging off their nose refuse to admit having seen this evidence.I guess it is"Oh, Lord, it's hard to be humble"

http://www.metrolyrics.com/its-hard-to-be-humble-lyrics-mac-davis.html

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 5:20:22 PM PDT
There was no "fog of war.The USS Liberty refused to sink thus the Israelis could not have the the US enter that war against Egypt which was the goal of this false flag terrorist event.The Israelis even blocked all wave lengths to prevent her from notifying others.It was by the perseverance of the RTO that he made contact and blew the cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 6:14:54 PM PDT
patrick says:
you confuse argument and evidence for conclusion.
the USA flag thing has been cited b4, but it is not a decisive piece of evidence.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 6:22:10 PM PDT
patrick says:
I dont think that they are 'unanswered"...there are answers, which may or may not satisfy some people.

Some may be crew members, who are likely never going to forgive Israel (which paid compensation, btw) and thats their right, not to believe or forgive.
Other people on the other hand, have other agendas.

Those who oppose israel's position in the Middle-east...Muslims here and there, and Western left-wing dinner-party elites...
or more hawkish types who just dislike the US-Israeli alliance on various scores...closet racism, or just not endorsing the support Israel has had from the US taxpayer ...which is a whole different issue to discuss.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 6:23:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 6:29:41 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
I looked at your post, Lawrence A. Dickerson, and I even added some other Israeli pilots to your list, those flying the Nord which made the first sighting of the LIBERTY and, after several low and slow passes, correctly identified it as an American ship, the LIBERTY. You ignored my posts about that.

The IDF had been assured that the LIBERTY was out at sea with the rest of the Sixth Fleet, not in coastal waters. Israeli efforts to explain this led to speculation that they'd sighted an Egyptian ship flagged and marked to resemble a neutral. The LIBERTY changed position and later was sighted off El Arish which had been shelled earlier by an Egyptian destroyer.

Explosions in El Arish led IDF forces to believe they'd been taken under fire again by enemy naval guns and the LIBERTY was seen on the horizon. That's when it came under attack by Israeli jets and eventually MTBs which nearly sank her.

IDF personnel speculated that the ship was Egyptian, a destroyer, Soviet, Egyptian marked like American or Soviet, or an Israeli ship. No American ships were reported in that area and even Sixth Fleet assumed that LIBERTY was on station out in the Med with the rest of the fleet.

The attack was a SNAFU. Israel had nothing to gain from it and everything to lose. Why would they risk committing an act of war against one of the two superpowers in the world at a time when they had no allies themselves?

It would have been an act of national suicide. Even you should be able to see that.

Nobody knows the origin of the jamming. It's an active theater of operations and I suspect everybody jammed everybody else. And why on earth do you think LBJ wanted to enter the war against Egypt?

The last thing LBJ wanted was a confrontation with the Soviet Union, Egypt's ally. The rules of engagement he imposed on US forces in Vietnam demonstrate his horror of expanding the war by risking a confrontation with the Soviets or the Chicoms, both of whom supplied and supported the North Vietnamese. That was also why the LIBERTY was ordered to join the Sixth Fleet out in the Med and well away from the combat zone.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 6:36:57 PM PDT
Yog-Sothoth says:
I suppose the next "scenario" will be how the US tried to initiate a war with Iran in 1988, when the USS Vincennes shot down a civilian airliner?

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 6:39:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 6:40:21 PM PDT
patrick says:
is certainly no evidence that Johnson wanted to enter the war against Egypt..

why???

-Mired in an increasingly fiasco war in Vietnam, domestic opposition to that mounting.
- all reports would have been that Israel was already trouncing Egypt unassisted...Israel itself would not want any Americanisation of the war, to permit Nasser to blame his defeat on direct western intervention(which he tried to anyway, baselessly)
-to initiate a possible confrontation with the Soviet Union??

Why the hell would Johnson want in on the 6-day War ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 6:39:54 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
I think Mr. Dickerson is only interested in SNAFUs he can blame on the Jews, Yog-Sothoth. He hasn't made a peep about the VINCENNES or the Beirut Bombing of the Marine Barracks, for example.

I suppose he'll find some crypto-truther site in Tehran that blames those on Mossad and the CIA, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 7:37:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 10:12:00 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Who cares LAD? Now be a good little bigot and disappear into the trash heap that most bigots belong. Imagine never to be a success and living ones whole life as a hater. But some people deserve whatever they get. The life of a LOSER.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the History forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
440 16 days ago
JFK Assassination Part VI 1932 2 minutes ago
The Zulu War, and other colonial wars 2 12 minutes ago
Trump assassination I 205 25 minutes ago
Will America go metric? 93 50 minutes ago
History of the Palestinian Nation (Part IV) 7815 1 hour ago
A Place For Pro-Israel Posters IV 758 2 hours ago
Book (The Longest Romance) shows how mass-murderous Castro's Cuba really is! 18 2 hours ago
Book (Serial Killers: Ho Chi Minh) shows what a mass-murderer the North VietNamese leader was 57 2 hours ago
Great book (Shopping For Bombs) shows that Bush disarmed Gadhafi WMD-wise with his 2003 invasion of Iraq 84 3 hours ago
Fact then and now: if you are a homeowner with a gun you are more likely to get a robber entering your house than he is to get you--READ!!! 381 3 hours ago
notoriously incompetent international butchery 86 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  205
Initial post:  Jul 24, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions