Customer Discussions > History forum

The End of the World in History

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 7:37:23 AM PST
L. King says:
As the fabled Mayan calendar "ends" it's been a sort of silly season for new age millenialists.

For example, there is a mountain in France which, according to the internet, is going to be transformed into a spaceship and is the only safe place on earth.

However there are more reporters (est 200) covering the "event" than believers.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1304202--french-doomsday-village-already-plagued-by-aliens

Any thoughts and similarities between the current fuss and other "end of the world" predictions in the past. I seem to recall something about a comet in the 1970s. Since we're still here, nothing happened, but how did people treat such things then?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:06:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:50:43 AM PST
there have been many such events
they happen frequently

christians know they are bogus booolsheet and ignore it

the press covers anything stupid as people want to read taht stuff

it is very entertaining when they sell/give away everything
buy some fancy robe
march up the mountain to wait for some ufo to pick them up
nothign happens
they march down the mountain
and lookd very stupid as well as being totally broke

usually the leader does a gps and 'recalculates' with some lame excuse as to why he was wrong

one idjut did it twice lately (and maybe once years ago too)
see my review of his book about it
after the second current fail he pretty much gave up trying and said he didnt know

some of them commit suicide first
they are the really wacko ones

here is another one for you
my calender runs out 31 dec 2012

THE WORLD WILL END !!!!

OOOPSIES !! I got another calendar so it will keep going
the mayans ran out of rock for their time cycle
didnt do the next one yet
which means nothing except that they wont know what day it is

see my review of this latest wacko book
http://www.amazon.com/Time-Has-End-Biblical-History/product-reviews/0533151694/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:21:14 AM PST
John M. Lane says:
I'm putting all of my shopping off until the last minute.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:05:48 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 20, 2012 12:51:49 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:35:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 5:41:40 PM PST
Yog-Sothoth says:
JM: "The Mayan's prediction is based on astronomical alignments. The way I understand it is on December 21 the sun, the Earth, and the super massive black hole in the center of our galaxy are going to move into some sort of alignment. I believe this has been validated scientifically..."

NO - it has been repeatedly reputed and proven FALSE scientifically. The earth, sun and Galactic center "align" every solstice (we are actually closer to the Galactic center in June) and nowhere near "exactly aligned".

JM: "...a very rare astronomical event that only happens once every 26,000 years..."

NO - the only time the earth, sun, and Galactic center are the CLOSEST to being in "exact alignment" happens about every 33,000,000 years - and the last time was about 3 million years ago - and wer're moving farther away each year for the next 13 million or so.

The approx. 26,000 year cycle you refer to is correct - the amount of time it takes the earth's axis to precess through 360 degress. Over the course of 2100 years or so, the position of the Spring equinox moves very slowly through each of the 12 zodiacal "signs". Currently it is Pisces, but won't be in Aquarius for another few hundred years.

JM: "One Mayan baktun consists of exactly 144,000 days (12 * 12 = 144). That number also comes up in the Book Of Revelation in the bible. Then 13 baktuns adds up to one Mayan age and they felt this current age started in 3,114 BC and will end on December 21."

The Mayan calendar counts days amounting to approximately 63 MILLION years. True, the 13th b'ak'tun ends - but then the 14th begins, and 144,000 days (394 yeyears) later, the 15th; then the 16th...all the way up to the 20th b'ak'tun, completing the cycle, and completing a PIC'TUN (each pic'tun is 7885 years). Then it starts over with the 1st b'ak'tun of the next pic'tun... 20 pic'tuns make a "kalabtun", 20 kalabtun makes a "k'itchiltun", and 20 k'itchiltun makes an "alauton", which is 63,000,000 years. Besides, the Maya got the "creation" date wrong, so don't put any faith in anything based on that.

JM: "The Mayans predicted that on December 21 nine of their gods including the great Kukulkan will descend to this world."

NO - the Maya "predicted" NOTHING. What they DID write was a description of the type of festivities that would be observed at the end of each "bak'tun" and the beginning of another - basically a big party, no different than most people do now every year on Dec 31/Jan 1. There is some disagreement as to whether the reference of "gods" attending these festivities (Father Time & Baby New Year, anyone?) are actually supposed to BE there, or if only some priests are supposed to dress/depict them.

Nice knowing you, too, Jeff. Be sure to let us know how things are going Saturday.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:17:25 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Yog-Sothoth says:

[NO - the only time the earth, sun, and Galactic center are the CLOSEST to being in "exact alignment" happens about every 33,000,000 years - and the last time was about 3 million years ago - and wer're moving farther away each year for the next 13 million or so.]

I think you're talking about the physical alignment of the Earth, sun, and galactic plane.

What the Mayans were talking about is the apparent position of the sun in the sky.

The stars don't really move over 26,000 years, at least not very much. It's the Earth that is wobbling on its axis so that the stars appear to move over time as seen from Earth.

But even though this is only an apparent movement of the stars the Mayans and other ancient cultures still felt it is very important. They felt each astrological age has its own unique influences on the human race. This gets into the mysterious origins of the different astrological ages.

I doubt that we even understand what the Mayans were talking about anyway. This is not a purely scientific issue. It gets into the spiritual relationships between the human race and the stars.

Their prediction about 9 gods descending to Earth on December 21 has I believe been verified. There's a carving on a temple wall that people felt made this prediction but they weren't sure because part of the carving has been destroyed.

However within the last year or so a second stone inside of a temple was discovered that shows that same prediction. Interestingly this stone was placed into a wall backwards so it was protected from the elements. Did the Mayan priests somehow realize that we in their future would make this discovery ? I believe yes.

So there's no doubt now about the Mayan's December 21 prediction.

I don't know if what you said is correct but I don't think some of it is. The Mayans believed in the gods of their mythologies. They said it was those gods that gave them their knowledge about astrology and creating their mysterious pyramids and temples.

They felt this current age started in 3,114 BC and will end on December 21. That's 5,126 years. They may have thought that 5 of those ages adds up to the precession cycle. Multiplying that number by 5 gives 25,630. That may be what they thought is the number of years in the Platonic Year assuming all 5 ages have the same length.

Sadly we would understand all of this much better if the evil Spanish conquerors hadn't burned all of the Mayan codex booklets and scrolls in gigantic bonfires. Cortez and company arrived in South America with a bible in one hand and a musket in the other.

The Aztecs rejected Quetzalcoatl in favor of the evil 'god of the smoking mirror'. That's when the blood letting started up again with the human sacrifice which Quetzalcoatl told them not to do.

One thing that's definitely going to happen in the new age is the Mayan temples and pyramids are going to be excavated by professionals. We are fortunate that the rain forests reclaimed and concealed those pyramids for centuries so the evil Spanish didn't know they were there.

People now realize using ground penetrating radar that there's a complex of artificial chambers and passageways about 75 meters below the Giza necropolis. Edgar Cayce's Hall Of Records is indeed there.

Perhaps Egypt will also start giving up some of her long held and closely guarded secrets.

Jeff Marzano

Edgar Cayce's Egypt: Psychic Revelations on the Most Fascinating Civilization Ever Known

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:43:20 PM PST
Suet says:
Seems like the Maya themselves don't believe it's the end of the world.

< Jose Manrique Esquivel, a resident of the Yucatan peninsula and a Maya descendent, told the Associated Press that his community was planning to celebrate in the coming days.
"For us, this Dec. 21 is the end of a great era and also the beginning of a new era. We renew our beliefs. We renew a host of things that surround us," Esquivel said. >

http://www.ibtimes.com/2012-mayan-apocalypse-no-doomsday-modern-maya-944796

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:59:53 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
I can't see what message you were replying to since Amazon deleted what I said for some reason. Could have been the product links.

Jeff Marzano

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:13:12 PM PST
Suet says:
It was the one where you said you were a Dec. 21 believer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:35:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 3:36:30 PM PST
In Jan 2011, I saw the film Vision - From the Life of Hildegard von Bingen . The opening scene was quite fascinating. All the people of a small town are crowded in a small church on the evening of 31 December 999 or 1000. There is a sense of apprehension due to the expectation that the world will end at midnight. The next morning the darkness is broken by light filtering through the cracks in the door. Someone opens the door revealing blinding sunlight and that the world has not ended after all.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:35:59 PM PST
Yog-Sothoth says:
Well, the Winter Solstice occurs at 11:12 GMT (6:12 AM for me in CST) on Friday 21 Dec, and sunrise on that date occurs in Yucatan/Guatemala (lands of the Maya) at 6:23 local time (also CST).
Do I need to get up early to see it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:47:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 3:49:16 PM PST
Bubba says:
It depends upon what time you normally get up. I am in the Eastern timezone and am up by 0700, so I will be up by then.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 4:38:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 5:13:35 PM PST
Smallchief says:
My God! That's tomorrow! At 7 a.m. I better get up early so I can have breakfast. Maybe I'll have three pieces of bacon instead of two. After all, it is the end of the world. A special treat -- before I become one with the universe.

As those old Mayans said, "Hari Krishna, baby." Or something like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 4:46:11 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Suetonius says:

[It was the one where you said you were a Dec. 21 believer.]

I can say I believe in the idea that a new age is beginning.

I personally believe that something very dramatic is going to happen at some time in the not too distant future. This may be something that we today could not even have imagined. It could be something that is outside of our current level of knowledge, understanding, and thought processes.

As far as specific dates I don't claim to known when.

The Mayans apparently said that 9 gods will descend to our world tonight. But what exactly that may mean or imply I don't know. They have their Pyramid Of Kukulkan where the shadow of the stairs creates the body of a writhing serpent on the two equinoxes every year. They felt this represents Kukukan descending to Earth and then returning to the stars.

I found out awhile ago that Zeus and those others are very real. Stories like Homer's Iliad are not fictional. They are historical realities and that includes the involvement of the gods and goddesses in the affairs of mortals.

Many of my ideas about the future are based on the book 'UFO Contact From Planet Iarga'. That book I believe contains information provided by people from another planet.

They talk about the idea that there's 144,000 people in the world at this time who have been set aside to execute God's plan. But there's 144,000 on the dark side also. This matches up with the Book Of Revelation in the bible.

That book answers questions that philosophers have wondered about for thousands of years. But those topics will lead into discussions about religion and philosophy more than history.

Jeff Marzano

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:16:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 5:20:57 PM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
Domenico Rosa says:

[All the people of a small town are crowded in a small church on the evening of 31 December 999 or 1000.]

There was a guy by the name of William Miller who predicted that the so called Rapture would happen in 1843 or 1844 based on his interpretation of the Book Of Daniel. He gave some specific dates which came and went without the end of the world happening. So he apparently just kept pushing the date out, all the while selling his followers robes that he himself manufactured. Some people sold all they owned and stood there with Miller out in the field waiting for the Rapture. The next day they were all broke and destitute probably but Miller just kept producing more of his Rapture robes for the next time.

A more recent false prophet was Elizabeth Clare Prophet (should be spelled 'profit'). She convinced her weak minded followers to create a massive complex of underground bunkers on a ranch in Montana because Christ and Saint Germain told her that the Soviet Union was going to launch a nuclear attack on the United States in 1989. The bunker complex was built at a cost of $ 25 million plus 2 years of labor for 200 people. They stockpiled food and a massive arsenal of high powered weapons. People sold everything they had, went into massive debt, cashed in their 401K plans, etc..

The people who emerged from that bunker on the 'day after' were very disillusioned and I guess disappointed that the world was still here. Elizabeth's cult never really recovered from this disappointment.

False prophets make predictions and set dates to galvanize support for their movement. And that's how they get into trouble as far as their credibility.

The book The Late Great Planet Earth by false prophet Hal Lindsey gave a specific date for the second coming of Christ. The book was very popular until the day after that date.

What's amazing is some people continue to belong to these cults even to this very day.

William Miller's followers created what I guess is now the 7th Day Adventists.

Elizabeth Prophet's Church Universal Triumphant still exists. The current president denies that Elizabeth ever made the prediction about the nuke attack even though this was captured on video. She says 'nobody was harmed' by building the bunker.

Hal Lindsey still has a following I think. I've seen him on TV recently saying things like the number 666 is going to be appended to everyone's social security number.

Hitler did the same thing in a way in Germany with his prediction that the Third Reich would last for 1,000 years.

Jeff Marzano

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 3:02:04 AM PST
Suet says:
It should happen in about 10 minutes.
If you're reading this, it probably didn't.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:36:52 AM PST
Damn... we're still here?
Proves that they ran out of paper.
Hope you had a smooth galactic crossing.
Happy Mayan Holiday to everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:38:47 AM PST
Lientje says:
L. King: I'm not sure that anyone actually takes this seriously. But I'm here to say that it is now Dec 21, and while we still have a few
hours ago, in Taiwan the day is over and it is now Dec 22 and they are still plugging away. I know that for sure because my husband was
talking to the people in the Taiwanese office just a few minutes ago.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:32:55 AM PST
briefcandle says:
I'm here on eastern seaboard of Oz and it's 22/12. The world is here, but strangely no Mayans.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 11:15:14 AM PST
Smallchief says:
Did the world end this morning? Did I miss it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 11:38:55 AM PST
L. King says:
Some do. I'll get back to you on that in a week or so. Right now I'm busy packing Borich's clothes for the Rapture. ;-)

Me: You've already stated that "the messiah has arrived",

Borich: Yes. When he decides to start the rest of his job is another matter.

Me: and that something ominous will happen in about 11 days.

Borich: Not ominous, but interesting. But it's not something that will be observable. It's what some Christians call the rapture

http://www.amazon.com/forum/history/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx33HXI3XVZDC8G&cdMsgID=Mx24Q4N4DZ8VS8V&cdMsgNo=898&cdPage=36&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx265WMHQA2VTXH#Mx24Q4N4DZ8VS8V

Not only are these "predictions" about the end of the world interesting, it's also interesting what happens to the people after their predictions turn out to be false.

Heaven on Earth: The Varieties of the Millennial Experience

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 1:07:03 PM PST
K. Battor says:
Actually the world did end. The government covered it up though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:36:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 4:10:47 PM PST
Suet says:
That's just what they want you to think. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:20:07 AM PST
Greg says:
God's Simple Plan of Salvation

My Friend: I am asking you the most important question of life. Your joy or your sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good you are, nor if you are a church member, but are you saved? Are you sure you will go to Heaven when you die?

God says in order to go to Heaven, you must be born again. In John 3:7, Jesus said to Nicodemus, "Ye must be born again."

In the Bible God gives us the plan of how to be born again which means to be saved. His plan is simple! You can be saved today. How?

First, my friend, you must realize you are a sinner. "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).

Because you are a sinner, you are condemned to death. "For the wages [payment] of sin is death" (Romans 6:23). This includes eternal separation from God in Hell.

" . . . it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment" (Hebrews 9:27).

But God loved you so much He gave His only begotten Son, Jesus, to bear your sin and die in your place. " . . . He hath made Him [Jesus, Who knew no sin] to be sin for us . . . that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him" (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Jesus had to shed His blood and die. "For the life of the flesh is in the blood" (Lev. 17:11). " . . . without shedding of blood is no remission [pardon]" (Hebrews 9:22).

" . . . God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

Although we cannot understand how, God said my sins and your sins were laid upon Jesus and He died in our place. He became our substitute. It is true. God cannot lie.

My friend, "God . . . commandeth all men everywhere to repent" (Acts 17:30). This repentance is a change of mind that agrees with God that one is a sinner, and also agrees with what Jesus did for us on the Cross.

In Acts 16:30-31, the Philippian jailer asked Paul and Silas: " . . . `Sirs, what must I do to be saved?' And they said, `Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved . . . .' "

Simply believe on Him as the one who bore your sin, died in your place, was buried, and whom God resurrected. His resurrection powerfully assures that the believer can claim everlasting life when Jesus is received as Savior.

"But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name" (John 1:12).

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

Whosoever includes you. Shall be saved means not maybe, nor can, but shall be saved.

Surely, you realize you are a sinner. Right now, wherever you are, repenting, lift your heart to God in prayer.

In Luke 18:13, the sinner prayed: "God be merciful to me a sinner." Just pray: "Oh God, I know I am a sinner. I believe Jesus was my substitute when He died on the Cross. I believe His shed blood, death, burial, and resurrection were for me. I now receive Him as my Savior. I thank You for the forgiveness of my sins, the gift of salvation and everlasting life, because of Your merciful grace. Amen."

Just take God at His word and claim His salvation by faith. Believe, and you will be saved. No church, no lodge, no good works can save you. Remember, God does the saving. All of it!

God's simple plan of salvation is: You are a sinner. Therefore, unless you believe on Jesus Who died in your place, you will spend eternity in Hell. If you believe on Him as your crucified, buried, and risen Savior, you receive forgiveness for all of your sins and His gift of eternal salvation by faith.

You say, "Surely, it cannot be that simple." Yes, that simple! It is scriptural. It is God's plan. My friend, believe on Jesus and receive Him as Savior today.

If His plan is not perfectly clear, read this tract over and over, without laying it down, until you understand it. Your soul is worth more than all the world.

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" (Mark 8:36).

Be sure you are saved. If you lose your soul, you miss Heaven and lose all. Please! Let God save you this very moment.

God's power will save you, keep you saved, and enable you to live a victorious Christian life. "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, Who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it" (1 Corinthians 10:13).

Do not trust your feelings. They change. Stand on God's promises. They never change. After you are saved, there are three things to practice daily for spiritual growth:

*Pray -- you talk to God.
*Read your Bible -- God talks to you.
*Witness -- you talk for God.

You should be baptized in obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ as a public testimony of your salvation, and then unite with a Bible-believing church without delay. "Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord . . . ." (2 Timothy 1:8)

"Whosoever therefore shall confess [testify of] Me before men, him will I confess also before My Father which is in heaven" (Matthew 10:32).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:23:06 AM PST
Greg says:
Proverbs 29:11 ESV / 104 helpful votes

A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

Helpful Not Helpful

Proverbs 1:7 ESV / 100 helpful votes

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Helpful Not Helpful

Proverbs 18:6 ESV / 86 helpful votes

A fool's lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating.

Helpful Not Helpful

Matthew 5:22 ESV / 67 helpful votes

But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, `You fool!' will be liable to the hell of fire.

Helpful Not Helpful

Proverbs 29:9 ESV / 66 helpful votes

If a wise man has an argument with a fool, the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions