Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Customer Discussions > History forum

A Place for Pro Israel posters II

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2551-2575 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 27, 2012 9:11:47 AM PDT
Sixties fan says:
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/Flash.aspx/243515

Jewish Music Week Underway in Toronto

The second annual Jewish Music Week is taking place this week in Toronto, Canada. The event is featuring local musicians performing in a variety of Jewish musical styles. The concertsare taking place at area synagogues, community centers and venues throughout the city. Lectures on the history of Jewish music are being offered as well. For more information visit www.jewishmusicweek.com/

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 9:16:49 AM PDT
Sixties fan says:
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/Flash.aspx/243511

Israeli Trauma Therapist Honored in "Dolphin Boy" Film

Dr. Ilan Kutz, the former head of Psychiatric Services at Meir Hospital, spoke at a special screening of the new film Dolphin Boy. The documentary is based on a boy who became non-verbal after being beaten. Dr. Kutz treated the boy at the Dolphin Reef in Eilat. The screening was held Sunday at the Jerusalem Cinematheque. Amongst the speakers was Dr. Kutz, Prof. Danny Brown, the director of the Israel Center for the Treatment of Psychotrauma, Shamai Keinan, the Chairman of the Board of Directors, and others. Israeli Trauma Therapist Honored in "Dolphin Boy" Film

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 11:56:49 AM PDT
L. King says:
darn. And I'm away on vacation.

Best wishes to Rachel for a speedy recovery. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 12:00:28 PM PDT
doulos says:
Amen! Hope she gets well fast.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 12:18:12 PM PDT
Sixties fan says:
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/11840
Op-Ed: Forget About a Palestinian State

Published: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:25 PM

Ron Lauder published an ad on the lines of Netanyahu's speech in which he offered a state to the PA Arabs. Think again. A lot has changed since that speech.

Dovid Efune, Dir. Algemeiner Journal
The Author is the director of the Algemeiner Journal and the GJCF and can be e-mailed at defune@gjcf.com

Rockets are still raining down on Israeli cities and towns. From Gaza the attacks have been sporadic and at other times accelerated, presenting a continuous and looming threat. Over 290 projectiles have been fired at the Jewish state since the beginning of 2012, including eight which were launched in a one hour period on Tuesday. The range of the more advanced missiles is up to thirty miles, according to the Israel Defense Forces.

Many have documented the debilitating effect that this state of affairs has on day to day living, commerce and the building of communities, families and workplaces. Not to mention the trauma suffered by those individuals whose lives, homes or loved ones have been caught in the crosshairs of one or more attacks.

The highly acclaimed `Iron Dome' missile defense system seems to have blunted the impact of the attacks, this combined with what the IDF refers to as other components of defense, namely, "active targeting of rocket launching squads and passive defenses, such as bomb shelters."

However, when it comes to charting a path for Israel to secure the safety of its citizens, it is crucial to consider the wider regional context of this threat and its capacity to develop significantly.

Firstly, it is well known that Hizbullah in the North, essentially in control of Lebanon, has an immense arsenal trained on Israel. According to a U.S. Embassy cable released by Wikileaks in November, Israeli officials noted that "rockets from Lebanon can now cover the entire territory of Israel." A UPI report from March 2009 quoted Israeli Government Officials who estimated that over 50,000 missiles are targeted at Israel between Hamas and Hizbullah.

On Friday night, two rockets were fired into Israel's south by a terrorist cell operating in Egypt's Sinai desert. A terror assault following on Monday morning that left one civilian dead, prompted IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz to tour the southern border where he said that a "significant issue is what goes on in Sinai, where terror bases continue to form."

News sources reported that the IDF is considering hooking up the city of Eilat to early-warning systems that would alert residents of incoming rocket attacks. Previously it was said on Israeli news that the IDF was preparing a launch site for the Iron Dome rocket-defense system near Eilat ahead of the possibility that the system will be deployed there in the future."

The increasing threat from Sinai means that of the six territories that are within firing distance of Israel three of them are actively serving as launch pads of Arab aggression against the country.

Of great concern to Israel is the that the genesis of this status quo was similar in all three cases, namely through the enactment of some process of democratization, or more accurately, as Brett Stephens of the Wall Street Journal described it in his Tuesday column entitled The Decline of Democracy, "the energetic stirrings of pre-liberal democracy," which he defines as "democracy shorn of the values Westerners typically associate with it: free speech, religious liberty, social tolerance, equality between the sexes and so on."

In Egypt this was a product of the Arab Spring, in Gaza, Hamas' rise to control began with democracy style elections and in Lebanon, Hizbullah's grip on power was solidified through the parliamentary process. Along these lines, when looking at Israel's remaining three close neighbors, the chances of this nightmare scenario developing further must be considered.

Syria in the north is in the throes of a civil war, the outcome of which remains to be seen. As in previous cases, it is entirely possible that the power vacuum that could be created by Assad's eventual removal would allow for terror groups to pitch themselves on the Syria-Israel border establishing another stronghold for rocket launching, within range of vulnerable Israeli farms and wineries.

Israel's longest and most stable border is with Jordan to the east, and although to a much lesser degree, discontent has been brewing there for some time. Last month the Washington Post reported on "deep and growing tensions that call into question the stability of this strategically significant kingdom of 6 million people, a bedrock of U.S. influence in the region and Israel's last reliable Arab ally since the fall of Egypt's Hosni Mubarak." Surely Israel must consider the possibility of change in Jordan allowing for the propagation of more hostile forces on this front.

To Israel's south east lies the vast kingdom of Saudi Arabia, whose far northwestern corner is within upgraded grad rocket range of Israel's southern port city of Eilat. The oil rich state is also seen to be relatively stable, but according to Karen Elliott House writing for the Wall Street Journal on Monday, "The death and burial this weekend of Saudi Crown Prince Nayef, the second Saudi crown prince to die in less than a year, demonstrates the inherent instability of the absolute monarchy still being ruled by the geriatric sons of the founder of modern Saudi Arabia." She Concludes, "Clearly, a growing number of frustrated Saudis no longer either respect or fear their leaders. Saudis are not demanding democracy; only transparent, efficient, honest government."

It is true that Israel has developed some tools for dealing with these threats, but they are very limited - especially if the country came under fire from every single land border. Militarily responding to these attacks emanating from urban neighborhoods will inevitably result in civilian deaths leading to unilateral foreign condemnation of the Jewish state and near diplomatic isolation. The Iron Dome system is super expensive and if demanded to such an extent prohibitively so. Either way, as the Lebanon Daily Star pointed out in March, "Iron Dome cannot reverse the strategic problem posed even by the relatively unsophisticated Qassam and Katyusha rockets from Gaza - the disruption of normal life in Israel." Of course the economic impact of this could be crippling.

Considering the above, Israel's leaders would have to be insane to consider parting with any of the real estate whatsoever demanded by the PLO for the establishment of a state that would surely be highly susceptible to the type of `progress' that brought about the entrenchment of a mega arsenal on Israel's other borders.

In truth, those that today are insistent in their calls for the establishment of a Palestinian State are simply cheerleaders for Israel's demise. Israel must always control the West Bank if it is to survive

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 12:39:02 PM PDT
Sixties fan says:
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/11841
Op-Ed: Occupy Herzl Street?

Published: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:36 PM

The "Social Protestors" reveal their true intent.

David Rubin, former Shiloh Mayor
The writer is a former Mayor of Shiloh, Israel and the Founder and President of the Shiloh Israel Children's Fund. He is the author of two books including his new book, The Islamic Tsunami (Israel & America in the Age of Obama).

During the social protests in the summer of 2011, the demonstrators set up camp on the streets of Tel Aviv and, to a lesser extent, in Jerusalem, proclaiming the need for a new set of national priorities. They called for an increased focus on education and on the economic needs of the average Israeli family, struggling with overdraft and the difficulties of making it through the month on the relatively low Israeli salary.

The call to the streets was met with remarkable sympathy across the political spectrum, as people identified with the challenge of day to day Israeli life and the feeling of being hoodwinked and abused by the often corrupt politicians who have long seemed to pad their pockets with gold through shady dealings at voter expense. The ongoing corruption cases of Ehud Olmert are a case in point.

Whether justified or not, there has long been a feeling that we the people are struggling, while the elites are having a picnic.

In contrast to the violent, anarchic Occupy Wall Street protests in New York City and in major cities throughout the United States, the Israeli protests were peaceful by design, in order to attain broad support from the public for the publicly stated goals of the movement, and for that reason, most mainstream Israelis were willing to ignore the fact that most of the leaders were dogmatic leftists who by no means represented the average Israeli.

In a positive response to last summer's protests, the Netanyahu government adopted various social reforms to improve the lives of the struggling middle class. In all fairness, these were indeed prudent reforms, designed to help the people, without breaking the bank, so to speak, thus enabling the economy to maintain its relatively stable condition, without drastically increasing the national debt. The amount of European nations, not to mention the good old USA, that have for many years lived way beyond their means and are now suffering for it should be a lesson for us all.

As the summer of 2012 begins, the latest social protests are off to a rip-roaring start. In recent months there has been an increase in coordination with Occupy Wall Street and other far-left and anarchist movements in Europe. The results of such ideological bonding could be seen in the recent violent protests in Tel Aviv, where the "social protesters" revealed their true colors by smashing bank windows and using "day of rage" terminology, borrowed from Occupy Wall Street and Hamas-led protests, to encourage violent demonstrations.

The masks have been removed from the faces of the leftist post-Zionist anarchists, as the illusion of Peace Now is revealed to be Rage Now, while trying to cover up a hard-left agenda that is being heavily funded internationally by George Soros and other enemies of Israel.

This should surprise nobody. Several months ago, leading activists of the Islamic Revolution in Egypt joined hands with the violent Occupy Wall Street protests, even visiting New York City to declare the similarities between the two movements. The visiting Egyptian activists proclaimed "power to the people" and fierce opposition to the forces of "repression and capitalism". They declared, "We are marching, occupying, striking, shutting things down. And you, too, are marching, occupying, striking, shutting things down,"

This visit followed an earlier solidarity visit from unrepentant American terrorist William Ayres.

Yes, the Israeli "social protest" movement has found new allies - the American and European leftists and the Egyptian protesters, who have been revealed to be none other than the radical Muslim Brotherhood.

I suspect that this is only the beginning of this year's loud social protests. I also suspect that the media will be leading the cheers as usual.

Hopefully, the Israel public will see through the façade and will respond appropriately, and "We won't be fooled again."

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 12:42:13 PM PDT
Sixties fan says:
I have thought about this issue before. If Egypt will not allow a visit to the grave, could the grave be moved to Israel?

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/157296

Egypt to Block Jewish Pilgrims From Holy Site

Egypt's post-Mubarak government has decided it would not be 'appropriate' for Israelis to visit the grave of a famed 19th century rabbi

By Gabe Kahn
First Publish: 6/27/2012, 10:38 PM

Egypt's Foreign Ministry said Wednesday it had told Israel that it would not be "appropriate" for Israeli pilgrims to make an annual visit to the tomb of a 19th-century Jewish holy man in the Nile Delta.

Egypt notified Israel two months ago that it would be "impossible to hold the annual ceremony because of the political and security situation in the country," the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.

Wednesday's announcement came as Muslim Brotherhood activists mobilized to block the pilgrimage route.

Ceremonies at the tomb of Rabbi Yaakov Abuchatzeira have triggered yearly political sparring in Egypt throughout most of the last decade.

An Islamist politician involved in organizing protests against the march meanwhile said that visiting the gravesite in the village of Daymouta, 180 kilometers (112 miles) north of Cairo would be a "suicide mission" for Israelis.

"Normalization (of relations) with Israel is forced on the people, and the visits too come against the will of the people and despite popular rejection," said Gamal Heshmat of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Egypt's daily Al-Ahram newspaper reported Tuesday that 31 parties and groups had joined this year's campaign to block Israeli pilgrims from reaching the site.

A son to a chief rabbi of Morocco, Yaakov Abuchatzeira was revered by some Jews as a mystic renowned for his piety and for performing miracles. The elderly rabbi was making his way from his native Morocco to the Holy Land in 1879, when he fell ill and died in the Egyptian city of Damanhour near Alexandria.

After Egypt and Israel signed a peace treaty in 1979, Jewish devotees - mostly of Moroccan origin - have traveled annually to the site. But Egypt has limited the numbers of pilgrims.

In 2001 and 2004, two court orders banned the ceremony after opponents filed legal challenges.

In 2009, Egypt officially denied the pilgrims entry because the anniversary fell while Israel was conducing an offensive in Gaza.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 1:08:13 PM PDT
Sixties fan says:
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/Flash.aspx/243538

Founder of Temple Institute Banned from Temple Mount

Rabbi Yisrael Ariel, the 78-year-old founder of the Temple Institute and a former Israeli paratrooper that took part in the Israeli liberation of the Temple Mount in 1967 has been banned from entering the Temple Mount by Israeli Police, according to a press release from the Temple Institute. Rabbi Yisrael Ariel was informed of the ban last week after attempting to visit the site. He was told by police officers that he was banned indefinitely. The Temple Institute feels the banning is a result of a video taken on Yom Yerushalayim in May showing a large group of Jewish visitors singing and praying at the site.

Rabbi Ariel, who was among the Israeli paratroopers who liberated the Temple Mount in the Six Day War, can be heard saying in the video, "I have waited forty-five years to be able to say the shehechianu, (blessing of thanks), here on the Temple Mount." His prayer is then followed by a memorial prayer for his fallen comrades that lost their lives in the mission to liberate the Temple Mount during the Six Day War. The group was accompanied by journalists and cameramen representing Israel's major news outlets.

In response to the ban, Likud Member of Knesset, Tzipi Hotovely released a statement on Wednesday calling for the convening of an urgent Interior Committee meeting in the Knesset to discuss freedom of Jewish prayer on the Temple Mount. In a statement released from her office she stated, "this is a fatal blow to freedom of worship, and has no place in the state of Israel."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 1:09:32 PM PDT
William B says:
Have an enjoyable and restful experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 1:19:41 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 1:20:35 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 1:21:18 PM PDT
Sixties fan says:
Tammuz 6, 5772, 6/26/2012

Grounding Kings and Presidents

I'll start off by saying that I really don't understand where some of these titles come from - but what can I do...I'm just the typist here. My brain says to the fingers - type it and they do...so don't blame them, please.

I didn't walk among kings last week, but I certainly walked among presidents, ministers, generals, former generals, and ambassadors. They walked somehow above the rest of us, occasionally stopping to speak to someone here or there. They were hustled in, hustled out. We were the audience, the children - told to stand (as if we did not know); told not to leave our seats for security reasons. We were a bit awed, a bit nervous. They are but men, flesh and blood but when someone like Gabi Ashkenazi stands a short distance away, you hesitate to approach. When Peres comes into the room, your mind fills with questions and you wonder if you should ask. I did approach; I did ask. I pushed myself by reminding myself that I have as much right to share in the sunshine of this world as they do, to question what my country is doing and where it is going. It is the future of my children; I am their mother.

After two full days, I was ready for the quiet that is my home. I woke Friday morning to the task of making challah and as I kneaded the dough, I thought about the week. My success of the day was not measured in international agreements brokered among diplomats and journalists, but on whether my dough would rise and if the bread that would be baked would be sweet enough.

Hours later, the table set, two of my children received their father's blessings and we watched as he cut the bread and gave each of us a piece. It was delicious - this fantastic recipe I got from Lauren months ago. I've changed it a bit - added mostly whole wheat flour, increased the honey by a bit. I braided six strands, which makes a lovely loaf - and we enjoyed it and it was as I was kneading and later as I was eating it that I thought about how we are grounded, as kings and presidents are not.

More than the simple task of making bread is the concept here. We can walk among presidents and kings all week long, but it is only as we ground ourselves on Friday and enter the Sabbath do we approach the True King. These men who spoke have voice but no real power. They do not determine the present and future of Israel, nor do the rockets that hit our land, even on Shabbat. As we entwine the strands of dough, we are entwined with our land, our people, our faith and most of all, with God. It is this act, of preparing the challah and caring for our families that Jewish women have done for centuries, millennium.

All week long, we can forget that. We can listen to politicians suggest that Israel can make peace if is surrenders this, concedes this, gives up that, forgets that. We can listen to academics play with lines on a map wondering if they notice, perhaps, that the line just happens to go through someone's living room, and we can wonder about whether this man's perceived crisis is really more about him than about us. And then we can come home, add yeast and flour, eggs and water and honey and salt, We can watch the dough rise, a promise that Shabbat is coming soon.

And we can bake it, letting the house fill with the most amazing scents. We can thank our married children as they stop by to bring a salad for us, or as they call and wish us a peaceful Shabbat. We put the freshly baked bread on the table, light the Shabbat candles as we close our eyes and pray for peace. No, not the peace of these kings and politicians, but true peace that comes from the heart and in the heart.

And then, as the candles burn and we sit around, we have that first taste of the challah and know we have been truly blessed, truly grounded and truly honored to walk with the King.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Blogs/Message.aspx/5000

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 1:24:27 PM PDT
Sixties fan says:
You were a Christian and you did not think.
You are a Muslim and you do not think.

Buddhism may be more what you need.
Sit for a while in a yoga position allowing the mind to clear.
Yes, Buddhism is what I would recommend for you and many others who think of the world as you do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 1:28:27 PM PDT
Susanna says:
I used to think Bookish was an undiscovered Buddhist :O

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 1:53:13 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
Hatred blinds you, Bookish.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 1:54:48 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
You lack wisdom, Bookish.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 1:55:36 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 1:56:16 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
You lack wit, Bookish.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 2:13:36 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Get lost thickish and go bother some Muslims unless you want to convert.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 2:14:58 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
Bookish has been lost since the thread started, J. Schwarz.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 2:36:56 PM PDT
Diva says:
I thought as you requested, even though I am not a man and here is my conclusion.

Bookish Is The Closet Hoax

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 2:39:07 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
I think you've unlocked the secret of Bookish, Diva. LOL !!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 2:44:51 PM PDT
Diva says:
LOL John,

She is really not that sophisticated.

Just your ordinary run of the mill kook.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 2:46:25 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
Yes, indeed she lacks wit among other things. LOL !!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 3:10:54 PM PDT
jeffesq613 says:
To be fair, I think you're only half right.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the History forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
433 Aug 4, 2015
JFK Assassination Part IV 7715 9 minutes ago
Francis Gary Powers and the USSR 1 1 hour ago
A Place For Pro-Israel Posters III 9794 1 hour ago
History of the Palestinian Nation (Part IV) 6741 1 hour ago
there was no holocaust 89 2 hours ago
Famous WWII Quotes 26 2 hours ago
JFK Assassination XXIV 76 2 hours ago
JFK Assassination IV 8552 3 hours ago
How to study the Rise/Fall of Roman Empire 11 6 hours ago
arsenal planes 3 7 hours ago
An interesting approach to Hiroshima 11 1 day ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Apr 30, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions